WWYD re previous owner

MrsNorris

Visit site
Had a text out of the blue from the person who owned my horse before the person I bought him off, (she got my number from the person I got him off). She sold him in 2005, and I bought him in 2006, so a long time ago, and she contacted me once before about 3 years ago to see how he was doing.
That was fine, I was happy for her to come and see him and have a chat etc. She seemed very nice, took pictures and gave him a cuddle and that was that, haven't heard from her since.

Then I get a text just before Christmas asking very nicely if she can have some tail hair to have a bracelet made.

I don't know what to do, part of me feels it's a bit of a cheek, and all my friends say it's ridiculous and to ignore the text and forget about it, but another part of me feels a bit sorry for her. On the other hand, I don't particularly want to hack bits off of his tail either. So, WWYD? Ignore, reply but say no, or reply and say yes? I just can't decide....

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'd cut her a length of tail hair. I'm afraid I cannot see what the issue is at all here and your friends sound like very unkind, selfish people. Gosh what harm is done to give her a piece of hair when she obviously still has feelings for the horse? Mind blowing!

Landcruiser

Visit site
She probably had to do a lot of gearing herself up to ask, and it probably means a lot to her or she wouldn't have. I'd be flattered (on behalf of your horse.) And I'd send her as much as she needs. I think it's very touching that she wants a bracelet of his hair after all this time.

sula

Visit site
I`d let her have some too and as gunnergundog said when you cut a piece of hair from the inside centre of the tail, you can`t tell.

Mumbles

New User
Visit site
It is very simple and very easy to take a long piece of tail hair from the underside, without maiming your horse in anyway. Don't be mean, it is a very small favour to ask from someone who probably loved this horse very much. I would be just happy that a previous owner had loved my horse as much as I do.

Mrs B

Visit site
Then I get a text just before Christmas asking very nicely if she can have some tail hair to have a bracelet made.

Am rather bewildered as to why you'd hesitate in the slightest! And to be perfectly frank if that's the attitude of all your friends they don't sound like a very compassionate bunch of people to call 'friends' :(

Evie91

Visit site
seems a bit mean not too. Won't hurt the horse and may well make her day. If you can make someone happy with very little cost to yourself why on earth not!!

milos

Visit site
I'd happily cut her some from underneath the tail and send it. It will make someone very happy with little effort life is too short.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I have tail hair from the last three horses I owned, I took it on the day I had each of them pts. I so wish I'd kept some hair from my first horse as well. I can really understand why the previous owner might be asking you for a memento now.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I do not see the problem here. Just give her a piece of tail to remind her of her horse. Let's face it you have the rest of him.

Trying to understand what Highland is on about, after a bottle of wine that's now hard!?

SpringArising

Visit site
I'd cut her a length of tail hair. I'm afraid I cannot see what the issue is at all here and your friends sound like very unkind, selfish people. Gosh what harm is done to give her a piece of hair when she obviously still has feelings for the horse? Mind blowing!

Agreed.

It doesn't sound like you or friends are horsey at all - or at least, it doesn't sound like you have ever loved or missed a horse.

Poor girl probably just really misses her horse - all she wants is a couple of pieces, not his entire tail.

cobalobM

Visit site
genuinely dont see why it would be any sort of problem? she obviously loved the horse and has probably wanted to text many times over the years to ask for a visit etc but has refrained.. she probs was very nervous sending that text!! why not reply saying yes and would you like to visit him.
im sure it would make her very happy, and if you have the opportunity to do that with very little effort, why wouldn't you?!

blowsbubbles

Visit site
Yes I would without doubt (from underneath after I had washed tailed so it was all nice and conditioned).
And I would include a lovely recent photo of the horse
And I would likely make friends with her on fb so she could see photos of horse to see what she is up too.

Just imagine if it was the other way around and a horse you cared about. Plus you will feel all warm and fuzzy doing this for her. Win win :)

_GG_

Visit site
I think I would probably want to invite her over to spend a few hours or a day with the horse. Learn a bit more about his life before you had him, let her have some time with him which it seems would mean the absolute world to her and give her some tail hair as well. I wouldn't necessarily encourage regular visits, but I wouldn't hesitate at all to let her come and see him on occasion. You don't have to, but nobody has to do nice/kind things...the world is just a better place when people do :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
She probably had to do a lot of gearing herself up to ask, and it probably means a lot to her or she wouldn't have. I'd be flattered (on behalf of your horse.) And I'd send her as much as she needs. I think it's very touching that she wants a bracelet of his hair after all this time.

Agree completely with this /\ I do not understand your friends are saying no way, as :Landcruiser said, this sounds very touching to me that after all this time she still thinks of your horse and wants a token to remember him by.

SO1

Visit site
I wouldn't hesitate it is only a bit of hair and it will grow back.

You don't know what is going on in that person's life and that bit of hair may offer her some comfort in difficult times.