XC - do we NEED a running martingale? Want a Fairfax breastplate instead!

DonskiWA

Visit site
We have always used a breastplate/running martingale combo. We don’t have issues with high head carriage or head tossing but my instructor said it was always a good idea to have them in case reins were dropped and they wouldn’t get tangled up in legs. The ring kept the reins in place - sort of.
But now I’m looking at a Fairfax breastplate as I‘m a sucker for the idea that they don’t restrict movement. They don’t seem to allow for a set of rings easily.
So... do we really need the rings I’m wondering?

Roxylola

Visit site
I use a regular breast girth - funds dont run to a fairfax, it's only to give me a neck strap if I need it and rules say it has to be attached. The less tack the better as far as I'm concerned

Goldenstar

Visit site
Just use an ordinary martingale if you want one that’s what I do put the breastplate on first so the martingale on the outside .
I have never competed a horse wearing a martingale attached to the breastplate I can’t bear the feel they give .
I love the Fairfax breastplates btw .

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I don't like Irish martingales as limit rein communication. TBH never seen reins get dropped and tangled unless rider has fallen off and taken reins/bridle with them. Just not something I worry about especially in an emergency reins snap pretty easily.

I am not overwhelmed by the fairfax research so an ordinary breastgirth is a good option.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I could never see the point of an Irish Martingale until I took a pony hunting (once only!) who kept throwing his head up with nose out so that the reins nearly flipped over his ears. Could really have done with one then, mind you a running would have done the job just as well.

ihatework

Visit site
I’m a tight arse when it comes to fancy new tack, but I love love love the Fairfax breastplate for fit. I might have nearly fainted when I handed the money over for it though.

I wouldn’t routinely put any martingale on for Xc. Only if a horse needed it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i picked up a 2nd hand fairfax breastplate and even just for flatwork there was a noticeable difference in freedom compared to our old elastic breastgirth o_O

fits really well. Like the girths, I didn't want to feel an improvement because I'd rather have had the cash but there you go. Urghhh i don't dare try the flipping bridles.

billylula

Visit site
I really want a fairfax breastplate and this thread isn't helping lol. My horse has a huge scar on his chest so I've always been worried about traditional breastplates rubbing.

I never use a martingale xc, i think they are restrictive and horses should be able to poke their nose