Yard clothes - environmentally friendly on a budget?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Like so many of us, I have several synthetic fleeces which I use around the horses. Due to all the micro fibres of plastic that they shed when washed, I'm not sure that I should replace them with more synthetic fleeces when they wear out. So what is a good alternative? I wondered about looking for 2nd hand natural fibres? Any other ideas bar rummaging in the local charity shop or wading through ebay?

I know it's only a small issue in the grand scheme of things, but (I hope that) every little helps. :)

blitznbobs

Visit site
Woolly jumpers? Pretty much everything has an eco hit... the best thing is to keep your clothes for years whatever they are... I have tee shirts and sweater shirts that I got when I was 12 - I’m now in my 40s so my guess is buy good quality and keep it. Cotton uses tonnes of pesticides and fertilisers and gallons of water so isn’t eco friendly ... wool is probably fairly eco friendly but sheep produce lots of methane like cows. Not sure about the modern fibres like modal(sp?) but it’s not overly warm and a b*gger to iron... so I suggest wear what you are comfortable and warm in and just keep it forever

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes, I keep my clothes until they die. I'll look into a bag to wash the synthetic fleeces in (never heard of them and I bet they've been around for ages - typical).

catkin

Visit site
apart from the good ideas above, and you already wear your clothes out - maybe think about the frequency of washing (that makes me sound like a right minger ;)). So - waterproofs/boiler suit over the top to keep the filth off the fleece so they manage a few days before washing.

little_critter

Visit site
I do the same as Leo too, but I wouldn’t buy another fleece for the yard, they just attract hay and hair.
Would good old sweatshirts still be too synthetic for you? I have a couple of cheap and simple ones from Mole Valley.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Surely I'm not the only person who has a system of clothes. They start off as good clothes, then become scruffier but still acceptable clothes, then they are relegated to yard clothes and when things get really bad they get used for DIY where they end up covered in paint and finally get chucked!

I don't tend to wear anything in the yard that I would want to wear any other time. I wouldn't wear fleece around horses, my fleeces go straight in the charity bins when old. I buy cheap rugby shirts and long sleeve vests and polos to layer from eBay and jods off Decathlon.

I do the progression thing with coats though.

And to be fair, my sparkly party dress didn't do too well once it got to yard duty status 😂

Last edited:

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I don't tend to wear anything in the yard that I would want to wear any other time. I wouldn't wear fleece around horses, my fleeces go straight in the charity bins when old. I buy cheap rugby shirts and long sleeve vests and polos to layer from eBay and jods off Decathlon.

yeah, even with my works relaxed dress code apart from t-shirts my work and yard clothes are quite different! I wear fleeces quite a lot-dog hair is far worse than horse hair with those :D I don't like hoodies/sweatshirts and I find fleeces last forever-I don't wash them all the time either but I will invest in one of those wash bags. I don't spend a lot of money on riding/yard clothes although I do have a bit of a breeches habit.

I did buy a Decathlon riding coat last year that I liked so much I am still using as a work coat-at some point it will be a yard/riding coat when my horse ware one finally dies.

catkin

Visit site
And to be fair, my sparkly party dress didn't do too well once it got to yard duty status 😂

The average sparkly party dress always seems to be a complete dirt magnet even before it sees a yard ;). If there's no mud about it will find something else.
Now I will only get dark coloured ones from the charity shop, and convert to dusters or bunting when they are beyond repair or saving!!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
A boiler suit is your best bet! I've got several on the go, and if you buy them a few sizes too big for the winter, you can put everything (like fleeces) you need to keep warm underneath.

Twill save you a fortune on washing AND replacing clothes; fleece is a nightmare anywhere near horses, picks up hairs and hay like a magnet.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Surely I'm not the only person who has a system of clothes. They start off as good clothes, then become scruffier but still acceptable clothes, then they are relegated to yard clothes and when things get really bad they get used for DIY where they end up covered in paint and finally get chucked!
This, except clipping is the final job for mine.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about clipping. I hate it so much I think I'd blocked it from my mind!

My sparkly party dress is worn so infrequently I think it will outlive me ;)

scats

Visit site
I have separate yard and normal clothes. I’ll occasionally downgrade a good hoodie to become a yard hoodie but I buy clothes specifically for the yard and they are generally equestrian branded or outdoor branded like regatta.

I do, however, generally wear things til I kill them!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I buy most of my clothes on eBay these days, second-hand and quality natural fibres when possible. Essentially I now have a good selection of wool jumpers which are hard-wearing, cosy and should last for many, many years. They are great for wearing around horses in my experience. Even if buying manmade items then I feel it's more environmentally-friendly to be buying things secondhand and I have had some great value purchases on eBay, everything from suede boots to quality wax jackets. It just takes some trawling.

A boiler suit as someone posted above is also a great shout. So easy to preserve your clothes and save on some laundry that way.

Carrottom

Visit site
Friends and relatives often offer me clothes with a mark on them that means they will not wear them but they are fine for the yard. Sometimes I think they are too good for horse clothes and wear them out a bit more first!