Yard dog wanted

Saratoga

Visit site
I am looking to rehome another dog at my small holding, to join my two boys (GSD and JRT). I have recently lost my older Doberman and am looking to find another larger dog ideally to live at the yard with my GSD as he is a little sad and unsettled on his own.

I am open to all shapes, sizes or gender, and my only condition is that they are good with other dogs as my JRT is getting old now and doesn't need a larger dog picking on him in his last years.

They live at the yard which is securely fenced, where they have lots of room to run around and play, and have a hay barn, straw filled kennel and stables to shelter/sleep. They are never shut away and are well looked after. They run in the fields when I am there pooh picking, looking after the horses etc. and I also walk them down to the river every weekend.

A good recall would also be handy as when I get the horses in they have a nice run across the fields, and ideally they come back when called!! Our lifestyle would suit an active dog that needs a lot of space to run around in, or one that maybe doesn't suit being kept in a house environment due to a heavy coat or chewing furniture etc.

Any questions please ask, I would love to rehome a dog asap!

Saratoga

Visit site
I'm Oxfordshire, near Wallingford.

I have tried various rescue centres, and have had no luck. I have contacted the GSD rescue and the rottweiler rescue, filled in the adoption forms and am awaiting home visits for both. This was months ago and I have chased up a few times! I am really keen to rehome something soon, as said above my GSD is on his own at times at the moment which isn't nice for him. So I thought I would try on here as that is how I found my GSD before.

Corner Mad House

Visit site
Sorry no criticism meant, just that I know the dogs homes around here are full to over flow. Shame you are so far away. Good luck, I hope you find something soon.

Saratoga

Visit site
I would love to give a dog a home that was currently in kennels, that would be the ideal! But I just don't seem to be able to get through the process easily. I have called again today and left messages for the coordinators that cover my area for the GSD rescue. What is frustrating is the urgent page on their website, I could take a dog tomorrow if only I could get in touch with someone!

Thank you for your replies.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Some of the dedicated GSD rescues and indeed, some mainstream rescues would not be mad keen on letting a dog go as a yard dog, just to warn you...might be better with a private rehome.

CAYLA

Visit site
Oh that home sounds ideal for some dogs...u are a fair distance from us. We do have a rottie x gsd...he is fab with dogs...and he sticks like glue once bonded....but no one wud get in if he did not know them so that cud b an issue if u have clients coming and going. Is the yard near your home?I could keep an eye out for other suitable dogs.

Saratoga

Visit site
I don't have a problem with people not being able to get in! :D My yard is private, with only 2 people coming and going so it wouldn't be a problem, and I am always there if the farrier comes or the vet etc. The yard is 8 mins from my house, so very local.

Cayla whereabouts are you?

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I went to Wales for my rescue Dobes and have someone coming from The Isle Of Wight to see my current foster dog, so for the right dog you do have to be prepared to travel.

Saratoga

Visit site
Thank you for that link. Ive messaged Cayla to find out a bit more, and also joined the rottie and dobie pages on fb. Thank you!

Alec Swan

Visit site
Saratoga, just a small point; if as you say you are not resident at your yard, then it's illegal to operate compound guard dogs without being resident. There are those dogs which bark, and those which will attack. I would exercise caution, were I you. Taking on a rescue may mean that you end up with a dog, which whilst it's been at a centre, has never displayed serious aggression, but once finding his feet, as it were, becomes a different animal altogether.

I would also advise caution with some of the more obscure breeds, specifically those which are known to have a short fuse. Not everyone re-homing always tells the truth.

Alec.

meesha

Visit site
If you have any rescue centres or even dog kennels near you I would go and talk to them. My local dog kennel takes some strays in as well as operating a privately run kennel/export service. If they see you in person and you explain your situation they may be able to offer you something which they would normally find really hard to rehome.

Saratoga

Visit site
Thank you for your concerns. At no point have I said they are guard dogs. I have had dobermans, rotties and GSDs in the past with no problems at all, but I will, as always when rehoming a dog, take care in the selection.

Saneta

Visit site
Saratoga, I would be surprised if any rescue would let you rehome a dog if you are not living with it, and it is left overnight unattended. I know as a pet sitter, I cannot look after customers dogs that are left unattended over night in their own home, it would invalidate my insurance. I am not mentioning this as a dig at you, just a possible explanation should you be turned down...

Alec Swan

Visit site
........ At no point have I said they are guard dogs. .......

Of course you haven't, but for most, the term "Yard Dog" would carry with it a degree of protection and or watchfulness, and there is a certain and implied 'guard' aspect of the Yard Dog's duties. Why else would anyone leave a dog, at night and in an unattended yard? If you want to apply to an established 'Rescue', then I'd omit the bit about the dogs spending their sleeping hours unsupervised, were I you.

I wasn't and I'm not having a dig at you, just pointing out how others may view your request. Good Luck!

Alec.

sheddy00

Visit site
Most rescues will be a no no, they want the dogs to be house pets and misguidedly think that's it's wrong to have a yard dog, and would prefer a dog to spend it's life cooped up in a kennel. Irish rescue centres will be more accommodating they are over run with dogs over there and not so fussy. They even help with transport costs, try looking atprivate ads on pre loved too..

Saneta

Visit site
Most rescues will be a no no, they want the dogs to be house pets and misguidedly think that's it's wrong to have a yard dog, and would prefer a dog to spend it's life cooped up in a kennel. Irish rescue centres will be more accommodating they are over run with dogs over there and not so fussy. They even help with transport costs, try looking atprivate ads on pre loved too..
Not prepared to start an argument on here and hijack this thread, but don't understand why it is misguided for rescues to try and find loving homes for often abused dogs, and to take the view that being left unattended overnight in an outbuilding instead of sleeping in the same house as their new owner is not the best choice for the rescued dog...

springtime1331

Visit site
Personally, I think being a yard dog in the circumstances the OP is describing is far preferable to being locked in a kennel for 23hrs a day for years waiting for the "right" home to come along.