yard experts (just for fun!)

Steorra

Visit site
I know one lady who thinks that horses shouldn't be rugged because it's bad for their skin. I know some horses are happy without rugs, even happier than with, but hers are elderly thoroughbreds and get rainscald every winter :(

The funniest one that springs to mind was said by an II who really should have known better: 'Your position is so quiet, you mustn't be moving through your hips.'

vicky86

Visit site
My friends rescue, very head shy horse used to nip occasionally. The advice given to her by an old school horse man was grab it ear jump up and bite the tip of it!! I mean what the hell???? Even if it wasnt cruel how the bloody hell do you propel yourself high enough with such accuracy to bite the tip of its ear??? Obviously she did not use this amaszingly crazy piece of advise but we did amuse ourselfs picturing the old guy trying this out on said horse - it would have finshed him off :)!!

Luci07

Visit site
Greatly enjoying the thread! I can't really think of any but I do think the comments from some know it all spectators can be really funny! and if you query, you will find out they have never competed/ridden at that level!!. I suppose the nearest I got was when I was asked to get involved with rescuing 2 dumped shetlands - and the RSPCA guy was really good. Except that the ponies were in a very big field with really good grazing and RSPCA guy said - well at least they have plenty of grass and won't starve!.

BTW - horses DO get laminitis. We have had some of the big horses (including a large warmblood) have the start of it this year with the odd weather have had.

Django Pony

Visit site
Well this wasnt exactly advise but more that I was trying to advise a girl that used to be on my yard the best way to deal with mud fever, however ignored my advice and used this method instead........................

Bring horse in, wash off legs with just water as hibiscrub would hurt her!! Dont pick scabs off as this will also be to much pain for the horse to cope with!!

Then the best bit ..... "proceed to the tack room, get extention lead out ( this is all in the hight of winter) tie horse up outside stable, get HAIR DRYER and dry horses legs before then putting mud fever powder on, this was done every night for about 4 months!!

Needless to say the horse, had mub fever for all the 4 months!!

I've hair dryer-ed Jasper's legs before now! He had mites and mud fever. Needless to say he loved it! lol