Yard is making my horse and myself ill

Doncella

Visit site
To the point of depression actually. At first the yard was lively and competitive now I am the only competing adult on the yard. The rest are around 15 spoiled little divas ranging from 7 to 17. Totally indulged, no manners, the whole place is like a creche. A normal evening is having to wait for them to stop galloping round the only arena. This can take up to 2 hours, none of the parents think to tell them that it is unfair to continually canter a 20 year old pony round and round and round.
If the arena is harrowed within an hour of abuse it is like a ploughed field.
I set off this year with the intention of co0mpeting at BE100 but between the weather and the spoiled little s:mad:ts my horse has gone backward. Because I can't school he has lost all interest which also means he won't hack. I am at my wits end as the area is littered with similarly amaturish, poxy little yards.
Ran over.

kirstykate

Visit site
Big hugs I do feel for you, can you not speak to YO and maybe actually book a slot for the school. if all else fails shoot them all!!!:D:D

Doncella

Visit site
Moving is not an option as all the yards in the area are just as bad or worse. Two of my previous yards closed and they were the best of a sorry lot.
There is no booking system and if there was it would be abused. One new family with two kids and three cobs brings a mate to ride the other and will dominate the arena which is only 20x40 for two hours.
The other three adult livery owners feel exactly the same as me.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would get together the other adults and voice your concerns. How would the YOs insurance and HSE react with this lack of supervision of minors if there was an accident.

Doncella

Visit site
Thanks for your replies but when complaining we the adults are made to look like bullies and the area does not support private or professional yards. The two that closed one was a professional yard that relocated further away and the other was a private one that closed to become a stud.
Also its the creeping shoddiness and ignorance of the liveries, the none maintenance of the arena and the casual abuse of the horses and ponies that I find wearing as well. And the fact that no one seems to care.
My horse is quite tempremental and inspite of shouting at the little dears he has been constantly ridden into in the arena to the extent he won't go in even when alone. He's now out for a week in the field while I work out what to do.
We all pay the same livery but as usual the ones who want to advance get sidelined selfish morons.

Hobbitpony

Visit site
I think you have 4 options;

1) Move
2) Avoid- could you not ride early mornings instead of evenings?
3) Compromise- The school is there to be shared. When I was schooling and Mum brought her kiddies in, I just cheerfully said I'll use this half of the school then if your ok with the top half.
4) Confront- If they are haring around not respecting 'school rules' left to left then either pull them up on it or speak to YO about a booking sytem.

TheMule

Visit site
If you can't move then you either need to complain to get it sorted out or change your routine- ride in the mornings?

Doncella

Visit site
I think you have 4 options;

1) Move
2) Avoid- could you not ride early mornings instead of evenings?
3) Compromise- The school is there to be shared. When I was schooling and Mum brought her kiddies in, I just cheerfully said I'll use this half of the school then if your ok with the top half.
4) Confront- If they are haring around not respecting 'school rules' left to left then either pull them up on it or speak to YO about a booking sytem.

Yes I could ride at 6am but the school would still be unharrowed scabby cheap sand and still measure 20x40.
I have shouted and sworn myself blue in the face at the divas and their mums but to no avail because YOs princess is the biggest spoiled villain of the lot.
Finally there is no negotiation because and I quote"These youngsters are the future of equestrianism".

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
You are clearly very unhappy at your yard, in your position, I would look to move, even if it meant travelling a considerable distance to your horse.
As much as I can imagine something could be done about the ''youth'', I am afraid the school will probably stay as it is, seeing that the majority of liveries (regardless of them being morons or not) seem to be happy with it.

Dancing Queen

Visit site
sooooo..... whats going to happen?

You cant move as everywhere else is just as bad
if you do ride at 6am the arena is still to small for you.

Unless you can afford to move from that areas where you live you have no choice other than ask if you can have a booking system for the arena.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Why not let us know what area you are in.

There are always yards tucked away that don't need to advertise. Nothing to lose by enquiring if you are that unhappy where you are.

Pan

georgiegirl

Visit site
You sound very unhappy there!

My yard was 'perfect' until about the past six months or so when we have had an influx of people wo are fairly new to owning horses as well as having kids which sound a bit like the ones at your place. It really did grate me at first but I have learnt to deal with it over time. Ive taught the kids (and adults!) about passing left to left in the school etc and that its not on to gallop within a hairsbredth past you when your trying to school your horse. I also try to go on the 'quiet' times too when I can and sometimes do have to change plans and just go out for a hack but the yard is perfect for me in so many other ways Ive decided I can live with it.

If there are no other decent yards in your area would it maybe worth looking for somewhere you could rent privately with the other adults on your yard if you are all that unhappy? It may take a bit of time and searching to find somewhere but could be a happy outcome for all of you?

LaurenBay

Visit site
Not sure how the yard is making your Horse ill? or how comes its the others fault you can't compete?

Lots of people don't have use of arenas. They school on hacks or feilds.

What time a day do you go down? I find it hard to believe that you can never get in the school. It might mean getting up earlier (6ish) and riding before the teenagers get there.

Kat

Visit site
You have a few options:

1. Move. If there are no good yards nearby you may either have to compromise on facilities for the sake of your happiness or compromise on distance.
2. Decide that it is better the devil you know and stay but try to change things by suggesting ways to make things work or by changing your routine.
3. Buy or rent your own place.

I would look around, you might find somewhere that works for you, I'm on a riding school yard which you might think would be hellish for an adult with aims to compete who doesn't like kids much but in fact by the time I get to the yard all the kids have gone home for their dinner and I have the choice of two schools and no need to book.

Langley

Visit site
Such a shame you are feeling like this, all i can suggest like everyone else is to move or rent you own land, is there anywhere near by you can rent land?

Horses cost a lot of money you should be able to enjoy them wherever you go

Chin up i'm sure it will all work out in the end

mandwhy

Visit site
I think you really need to move and therefore need to try HARD to find somewhere else. You only have one horse, there will be somewhere, or even a small yard between you and the other adults. Believe me if you look hard you will at least find a farm or grass livery - have you considered grass? It may not be ideal but I school in sectioned off bit of the field and sounds a heck of a lot better than being galloped around on cheap sandy surface! You could even put up a mobile stable.

I don't think if you are really in a minority and the YO supports these brats then there's much you can do other than threaten health and safety reports or something, but where will that get you?

I think you should put up notices in tack shops, feed stores, write letters to farm owners and a useful thing I tried was finding details for the parish council of your local villages, they will know where and possibly who keeps horses in the area. I also put a notice in the village shop and that's how I found grass livery 2 mins walk away when I had resigned myself to paying more than twic as much for a yard 20 mins drive away (was very nice small yard but I am a student, you would have loved it!) Also have a browse on google maps there are loads of horses hidden away! And also riding club, pony club, even riding schools might have somewhere better than this.

I hope you find somewhere this place sounds shocking!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
The adult riders could do with chatting to the YO about what is happening & the arena being monopolised by the children charging around on ponies for a couple of hours without supervision. If you speak reasonably to the YO hopefully they will understand that they do have H&S issues. We had issues of a slightly different nature on a yard & needed to move. We asked around & found a fantastic yard at a private house.There are only 3 liveries & everything now is great. These yards do exist, you need to really TRY to find a suitable yard, don't just rely on yards you actually know of, there are others tucked away!

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
It's a shame that you are paying for facilities you essentially cannot use due to the pesky kids but if you can't move yard then you will either have to think of a way round the situation or confront the yard owner.

However, I would regard a school as a luxury. I've never had access to one, and do around 80% of my schooling out hacking, the rest in the field when its not too wet. Yes it's not ideal but you just get on with what you have. I know plenty of folk who compete BE and don't have access to schools. Can you book some time off work I order to use the school while the kids are at school, or else as suggested use it in the morning? Can you book lessons with an instructor at their yard, or hire another school nearby?

Kids are annoying, but I don't get how it's making your horse ill or stopping you from competing?

skint1

Visit site
Sounds like hell.
Our school can get quite busy (though not full of kids, just everyone wanting to school and being around at similar times) my daughter used to do early mornings, after 9am if she was on a late start or really late evenings like after 8pm she always had the place to herself then.