Yard rule for wearing hi viz

welshpony216

Visit site
I keep both my horses at a friends house, along with another person, and my friend has the high viz rule too. We also have a body protector rule. We have to wear one when ever mounted.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
.I happen to think that any horse rider who doesn't hack out with some form of hi vis is sadly lacking in forward thinking and however much they might protest, not caring for their own or their horses safety.
...And also just a little bit stupid.
I used to hack out with a woman who refused to wear hi-viz because she "liked to blend into the countryside". WTAF was she talking about?
I've been considering making it a rule at mine, but so far everyone has been sensible enough to wear it anyway. It was always a rule when I had a sharer that they and the horse must wear hi-viz.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
...And also just a little bit stupid.
I used to hack out with a woman who refused to wear hi-viz because she "liked to blend into the countryside". WTAF was she talking about?
I've been considering making it a rule at mine, but so far everyone has been sensible enough to wear it anyway. It was always a rule when I had a sharer that they and the horse must wear hi-viz.
I offer hi vis if someone turns up to hack with me and doesn't have it. Only once was it turned down, so the offer of hacking was swiftly rescinded. She wasn't invited back.

On another note, where I hack there are many dog walkers, all in olive drab or dark colours blending in. Yes, I know its practical, but its bloody hard to spot people sometimes. The licenced walkers do wear high vis, which is great, but they are the ones usually with well behaved dogs.

soapy

Visit site
Hi all.
Have any of you had the rule on your yard that you must wear basic hi viz (vest/tabard) when hacking out?
I won’t say which side of the fence I’m on... Go! ?

I wear it cos it's sensible and I care about my horse, but I'd be pissed off if someone I was paying told me to use it. I hate micro management with a vengeance. Hope that makes sense!

McFluff

Visit site
Personally I think it should be a legal requirement for all road users (pedestrians, cyclists, riders, drivers) to be lit and visible at all times when using the road. There are too many ninja road users round here. Grey cars on misty days are the worst! Lights on any vehicle or person make such a difference to visibility at any time of the day.

wills_91

Visit site
The last 3 yards I've been on its been a rule. Doesn't bother me as I would always wear it anyway. Apart from anything else if you happen to part company it makes both you and horse easier to see. Personally think it should be a legal requirement for horses/bikes but to hard to enforce no doubt.

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I’m afraid if you’re not wearing high viz in a lot of situations, you may as well be wearing camouflage, as you will blend into the background too easily. Unfortunately, it is yard owners who generally pick up the pieces. It just isn’t possible to wear what “you think is appropriate to the circumstances”, not even if you have a crystal ball! How do you know how the sun will appear through trees making you and your horse blend further into the background, a heavy downpour making it difficult for drivers to see, a driver speeding and not seeing you until it’s too late. Simply riding in fields, away from traffic, you fall from your horse and are injured, you’re either unconscious or perhaps you’ve landed on your phone and smashed it, how does anyone find you? There are way too many scenarios to address and the thing about an accident, is that it is such that, it’s an accident, as in all the parts of the circumstances have lined up in such a way that it couldn’t be replicated again!

I have run yards in the UK for a long time and it was always a rule I insisted on as it looked after my clients safety, their horses and all other road users.

You may have a choice not to wear high viz but your horse doesn’t, I don’t see why anyone would refuse to wear it and risk injury or death to their beloved four legged friend.
You've totally missed the point. Liveries are your customers and they are responsible for their own autonomous choices. They are acting within the law if they don't wear high viz and they aren't even on your property. I love hi viz and think its use overall should be encouraged, promoted and the norm that riders in general are accustomed to, but if, essentially a landlord, started thinking it was OK for them to tell me how to dress I'd think they were an out of their mind, control mad nut job.

I totally agree with Owned by horses and fundamentally disagree with Flame, as they pointed out liveries are customers - perhaps it should be a legal requirement to wear hi viz, but it isn't, however it is recognised best practice (BHS - https://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-i...reat others as you'd,your BHS Ride Safe Award. )

Your yard owner is promoting recognised best practice as part of their safety culture, that to me indicates that it is a well run yard managed by someone who has approached it with thought and seeks to make it as safe as possible, remember if you ride out on the road and cannot be easily seen you are putting yourself, your horse, anyone riding with you, drivers and pedestrians all at risk its not just about making a fashion statement or a declaration of sartorial elegance. If that was the case we would still be riding out in tweeds, roll-neck sweaters and headscarves ala 1950's

EarsofaSnowman

Visit site
Personally I think it should be a legal requirement for all road users (pedestrians, cyclists, riders, drivers) to be lit and visible at all times when using the road. There are too many ninja road users round here. Grey cars on misty days are the worst! Lights on any vehicle or person make such a difference to visibility at any time of the day.
Agree. I go running before work, before sunrise, decked out like a badly dressed Christmas tree. One morning I clocked 8 different sets of dog walkers and another runner not one of which had any hi viz, or lights. Okay its mostly pavements, but they are badly maintained so easy to stumble into the road, roads need crossing, and that's quite a number of people to navigate around when they appear from nowhere (and you cant see the dogs and leads)

D

Deleted member 150717

On my old yard yes, it wasn’t an official rule but YO used to screech at us if we attempted riding without it. She’s probably the reason I’m good about wearing it now, it just became the normal thing to wear to hack out.
Several liveries made bit of a fuss, one wore a vest off the yard and removed it once out of sight ?‍♀️
I don’t get people like this... it’s for yourself and your horses best interest. I don’t see the fuss tbf. I know it’s their choice but I would rather be seen then not...

palo1

Visit site
My ponies wear leg bands (so I am pleased to see they are effective), I wear hat band and waistcoat so top, middle and low areas covered. It is minimal touble to put on and could save our lives. I get really cross when I am driving and see riders out without any hi viz on either them selves or horse, I am aware of horses' shapes but non horsey people may not realise what they are driving at/past when they are close to edges and hedges. The same applies to runners and cyclists and dog walkers in our lanes. Personally I think it should be part of the highway code, then Yard Owners would not be considered OTT for requesting compliance.

This is how I feel too. I always wear a vest and hat band and horse wears leg bands as a minimum. It really is no trouble and having felt incredibly frustrated about walkers, cyclists and other horse riders who insist on near invisible clothing on our very narrow and winding country lanes I really don't want to be one of those people that make a horrible accident far more likely.

I have basic 3rd party insurance and hate to think of the consequences of an accident where I could not reasonably prove that I was taking precautions to be visible. I love traditional riding wear and all of that and have never found any hi-vis that I like on aesthetic grounds, but there is plenty of smart and also reasonably priced hi-vis available. In fact it is the only piece of synthetic fabric clothing that I have bought in several years; the reflective tape and hi vis material have vile environmental credentials tbh which I hate but they are absolutely essential and I do think that the law should require those using the road not in a vehicle to wear hi-vis. My poor OH once hit a cyclist (thankfully very slowly and cyclist was fine) because he couldn't see him at all. The first he knew about it was the impact :( :( That could so easily have been a fatal accident that ruined or changed several lives. Thank goodness no harm was done but riding, walking or cycling down a lane with hedges in poor light or bright sunlight can render ordinary clothing completely invisible.

I have no idea why anyone would want to head out without hi vis nor why it might be considered unreasonable. You can, and I do, wear hi vis over smart clothing and not look a complete mess....though that is hardly the most important consideration really...

D

Deleted member 150717

This is how I feel too. I always wear a vest and hat band and horse wears leg bands as a minimum. It really is no trouble and having felt incredibly frustrated about walkers, cyclists and other horse riders who insist on near invisible clothing on our very narrow and winding country lanes I really don't want to be one of those people that make a horrible accident far more likely.

I have basic 3rd party insurance and hate to think of the consequences of an accident where I could not reasonably prove that I was taking precautions to be visible. I love traditional riding wear and all of that and have never found any hi-vis that I like on aesthetic grounds, but there is plenty of smart and also reasonably priced hi-vis available. In fact it is the only piece of synthetic fabric clothing that I have bought in several years; the reflective tape and hi vis material have vile environmental credentials tbh which I hate but they are absolutely essential and I do think that the law should require those using the road not in a vehicle to wear hi-vis. My poor OH once hit a cyclist (thankfully very slowly and cyclist was fine) because he couldn't see him at all. The first he knew about it was the impact :(:( That could so easily have been a fatal accident that ruined or changed several lives. Thank goodness no harm was done but riding, walking or cycling down a lane with hedges in poor light or bright sunlight can render ordinary clothing completely invisible.

I have no idea why anyone would want to head out without hi vis nor why it might be considered unreasonable. You can, and I do, wear hi vis over smart clothing and not look a complete mess....though that is hardly the most important consideration really...
You couldn’t of put it better!!

D

Deleted member 150717

895202D8-A238-4031-9A34-6CA62846FC3C.jpeg
When I lead my 3yr out in hand he wears a reflective head collar and lead rope and leg bands and a reflective sheet as well myself wearing hi vis and the person who I’m going out with. I think it’s essential to be safe. Rubbish picture sorry...

palo1

Visit site
View attachment 66411
When I lead my 3yr out in hand he wears a reflective head collar and lead rope and leg bands and a reflective sheet as well myself wearing hi vis and the person who I’m going out with. I think it’s essential to be safe. Rubbish picture sorry...

Quite!! That level of hi vis is certainly not 'over the top' - just looks perfectly smart and makes you far more visible to other road users. I find hi-vis v frustrating in how quickly it deteriorates and how difficult it is to keep clean but there are at least lots of options. :) A hi vis headcollar is a great thing too.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Looking at Palo1's link, the same company has this hatband with lights. Red to the rear and white to the front as the highway code suggests.

IMG_0898_1024x1024@2x.jpg

https://www.ridereye.co.uk/products...tband-with-front-rear-led-rechargeable-lights

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Yes, we do. We have a short stretch on a 60mph road to the bridle ways and YO wants to minimise risk (since she'd be the one getting called!). To me it would ve ridiculous not to anyway and no one if bothered since everyone does

Birker2020

Visit site
I think it's a brilliant idea, the number of people who ride out from our yard without hi-viz is ridiculous, I'm not sure why you'd want to chance your arm to be honest.
Reaction times are reduced by 2.1 seconds for someone wearing hi viz to someone not wearing hi viz. At 30mpm that is 92ft or 28 metres. At 40mph it is the length of a small dressage arena.
https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/18863706.new-driving-test-measures-reaction-time-roads/

Here is my hi viz, worn each and every hack and lights as well. 1613989700115.png1613989711720.png1613989720956.png1613989730450.png
To be honest I think pink is much brighter than traditional hi viz yellow so if I were starting again I'd plump for pink.

Last edited:

sarahann1

Visit site
It’s not a rule, but I always have a hat band on and normally a vest at the very least. I got a load of LED stuff for riding for Christmas too :) Never mind Christmas Tree, I’m going for full on Blackpool illuminations!

Hi-viz has come on loads over the years, there’s really no good excuse not to use it.

GreyMane

Visit site
its not just about making a fashion statement or a declaration of sartorial elegance. If that was the case we would still be riding out in tweeds, roll-neck sweaters and headscarves ala 1950's
An excuse to post this - from Riding annual 1974. Despite wet weather there's a lack of gloves. Not many martingales either.
But ties were de rigeur ! Tally ho chaps.

1938.jpg

ponios

Visit site
No, but I wish it was. People always take the micky 'we wont miss you coming!' and I laugh it off but I think its mad that more people don't wear it. I wear a tabard and neck strap on the horse and in winter/bad weather a quarter sheet every time I leave the yard. It worries me that no high viz is worn on my dark horses when they are ridden by the yard on the odd occasion- I have asked and they say 'yes, yes' but I know it never happens!

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Horses are at home so I set an example to small children, a lot of mum's round here hacking with children of various ages who more often than not wear hi-viz. Also I'd rather not be hit by a car.

I also ride on my own a lot of the time so if I were to fall off and knock myself out I'd be easier to spot.

Only downside is that I do often look like a bin man.