Yards in the South West

pitter_patter

Visit site
I'm looking for a yard to put my 3 year old in next year after he's been broken in.

I'm looking at Bristol, Bath & North Somerset, but some have websites and some don't. Some just have telephone numbers to ring, but after ringing a few some don't pick up and some just don't have what I want so I feel foolish ringing them.

I'd like somewhere with an indoor school really, but it's not important - that's just me looking for a bit of luxury
wink.gif

What is important is year round turnout, stables, arena (with lighting) and good hacking. I'd like full but can do Part livery (or even DIY if it's not too far away).

Has anyone got any recommendations? Word of mouth is usually the best way of finding somewhere? He's at a farm at the moment, but moving on we'll need to start getting him used to yard-life fairly soon.......

sallyellis

Visit site
Alice Wilson at Hinton, just on the outskirts of Bristol has all of the facilities you are after...I dont have her number but you should be able to look it up.

annaellie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Alice Wilson at Hinton, just on the outskirts of Bristol has all of the facilities you are after...I dont have her number but you should be able to look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am on that yard, the facilities are excellent and the staff are really helpful.

miss_c

Visit site
Bristol area it's hard to find an indoor school! White Cat has one but I personally wouldn't go there, Sunnymead did have one but last year she used it as a cow shed I believe and I personally wouldn't go there either! Grove Farm is currently in the process of converting a barn to one, but as far as I know they're full with a waiting list.

Where I am we have floodlit school, year round turnout (24/7 in summer, a few hours a day in the winter, I think they had about 4 days in over last winter), direct access to bridlepath out of the back gate, and YO's fields to ride in. DIY, Part and Full livery available. Currently room for geldings only.

annaellie

Visit site
Is it the grove farm thats near white cat, if it is I stabled my boy on there, the lady who owns it is lovely and its a nice laid back yard, I only left due to no indoor.

miss_c

Visit site
Yup, that's the Grove Farm! I'm down there next Sunday for dressage. She's converting the first barn as you go in to an indoor at the moment.

annaellie

Visit site
Thought so, when I gave my notice she said she was thinking about it, which was a shame as I only live 5 minutes away and really liked the yard, plus she bought my filly who I had since birth so It was nice to be able to see her every day. Though I needed an indoor.

monkeybum13

Visit site
really nice yard in Bitton with indoor and outdoor schools, my instructor teaches there so could PM you contact details if you wanted

would'nt rate White Cat at all, horrible arenas, the surface in indoor is basically dust and outdoor is stones anyway and loads of houses being built right next to it (poss even on it I have heard???)

pitter_patter

Visit site
The yard in Bitton, is that South West Equestrian? I've looked at their website and it looks quite nice, didn't know about the hacking though as it looks like it's very near the main road.

pitter_patter

Visit site
See this is exactly what I need!! I look at the websites and think that looks nice, but need someone to tell me if it's ok or not!!

He's a baby and I don't want his first proper yard experiance to be a nightmare (so to speak!!)

LOL!! Perhaps I should have asked for a list of where to avoid.......;)

I want to do my research as I have time to......

rushyj

Visit site
The yard I have has all those facilities inc. Indoor school, sj paddock, excellent hacking all year post and rail turnout and XC course being rejuvinated as we speak lol but we are North Wilts near Swindon....

Website is under construction but see www.cortonshowing.co.uk

Adina

Visit site
Have you tried Billow Farm Livery. Don't let the Farm bit put you off, the facilities are fantastic and a dressage rider was based there not sure if he still is. Its near Berkeley. Too far for me and I don't really need all the facilities.

pitter_patter

Visit site
Berkeley is miles away from me, anything with Wilts or Glouc in the address is
frown.gif

But it does seem to be that the ones outside of Bristol/Bath seem to have the more/better facilities though!!
confused.gif

I just don't want to drive for miles after work.

HollyP

Visit site
I second not going to South West Equestrian, it used to be sheerwater...aka shitwater!

finding a yard in this area is tricky....go and check out whats on the boards in tack shops! in the end i put up a poster making a plea to find a lovely quiet yard and iv really landed on my feet
smile.gif

pitter_patter

Visit site
I work in the middle of Bristol, but live just outside. This isn't my 1st horse, but it's my first youngster and I've never had the opportunity to do research on what I've got around me before.

And to be quite honest I'm finding it quite difficult!!

All the places I do like are either WELL over what I can afford or miles away driving wise.

At the moment I feel like I'm asking for the earth!!

Is this normal around here!!??

dieseldog

Visit site
You could try Toghill, that would be nice for a young horse as they have off road hacking and they turn out all winter.

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I second not going to South West Equestrian, it used to be sheerwater...aka shitwater!

[/ QUOTE ]

it was Springwater..not Sheerwater