Yards in the South West

indiat

Visit site
Hi, I am at Wellow Trekking Centre and I love it up there. Its got an indoor and an outdoor school, good hacking and off road hacking for about an hour along the old railway line. The indoor school is the property of the RDA so it is not available for livery use all the time. The deal is that if the outdoor is being used for lessons then you are free to use it when the RDA are not (they only use it during term time). But if the outdoor arena is not booked and you want to use the indoor you have to pay £5. The money is for the RDA to help upkeep the school. However, if you don;t like to have too many kids about don't go! Its a PC club and it swarms with children. We like it becuase we have two little girls and they just blend with the crowd! The owners live on site and they are very nice people.

I third that about South West Equestrian. It will take years off your life!! PM me if you like.

annaellie

Visit site
What is wrong with south west equestrian, can someone pm me please. Not that am looking to move am happy were I am but you never know so its always handy to know these things .

trendybraincell

Visit site
Some people think that the guy in charge is a very bad guy...many consider him to be responsible for the accident in Golden Valley lane a few weeks ago.

I'm currently at the same place as bally_boo_ it is a very good yard, with fab facilities, but its not got year round turnout and sadly a bit pricey for me at the mo. Whoever mentioned the Meadows off Bitton high street, thats where I'm moving to next month. Currently, she only has the indoor in working order, no surface down on the outdoor.

There is a waiting list for spaces, and she has planning permission for 5 more stables, but will not build until they have more land for grazing. pm if you want any more details

indiat

Visit site
Does his name start with an L and his girlfriend's name with an M? If so, they are the people who were in charge when I was there and I was not impressed. I looked at the web site and it says new owners, but apparently they claim to be the new owners every 15 months or so. They told me they had recently taken it over when i was there two years ago and it was a load of rubbish.

trendybraincell

Visit site
In all honesty I'm not certain what his name is (though I think you're on the right track)...I try to steer clear of yard politics, all I know is the reputation of the place is terrible with people in the area

pitter_patter

Visit site
I've heard that Terri Hill charges a lot of money
frown.gif
But also I want quiet hacking and she's on the A38 isn't she?

I can't run that risk with a baby!!

kick_On

Visit site
I know there are new yards up around Tockington which is north of bristol and they do brilliant hacking around what they call 'toll rides' which is across farmer fields, which you pay subcription fee to do.
I think you need to put you head into the local tack shops Pinkers, Pointing, Jenny Tack shop and Countrywise shops (thoses are the one i know in your area you looking)

siennamum

Visit site
I really don't think Terri is expensive, she certainly didn't use to be. She also has hacking out the back of her place now straight up Dundry Hill.

Have you enquired about Racecourse Farm at Portbury? There's also the old racing stables there & they deffo do full livery. I have a friend at Woollard who would do full livery and was looking for liveries lately, if this side is any use to you there's also Huntstrete.

finefeathers1

Visit site
Our YO is looking for new liveries, and I have an odd feeling its the same one as siennamum is talking about in Woollard. I love it, dont want to ever leave and my horses are very happy and settled there. I am on full livery and my horses are well cared for and content. We even bought one of her home bred horses and my daughter is doing very well out doing BE, BD and Pony Club with it. Hacking is good, social side is good, facilities are good, 24/7 turnout (even with a big hill), there is support if you need it and if you dont, you get left alone. On top of that people and horses are nice. PM Me if you want YO's details.

miss_c

Visit site
I'm in W'leigh, a few minutes off of the ringroad and just up from White Cat and Grove, I love where I am and have NO complaints at all about it! Used to work at White Cat when Paula Gough owned it and still have lessons with her as well as see her at least once a week. It's currently being let out and will be built on in a few years... The indoor school has been used as a huge stable all winter so I personally wouldn't go there as I doubt it's useable now! The Grove Farm comps are usually in-house for fun, but as I'm down there a lot with Paula and am writing for her in the tests that she's judging I get invited to hack down and take part.
laugh.gif

china

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What about Badgworth Arena? They don't have XC, but they've got everything else.

I hope no one says anything bad about it, as a friend of mine is one of the Directors
blush.gif

Badgeworth Arena

[/ QUOTE ]

i work there
grin.gif

the only thing they dont have is 24 hours turnout but the horses do get turned out on a rota sort of basis and depending on the weather. they have 4 arenas
laugh.gif
1 is indoor with a very nice surface
laugh.gif

Aragon56

Visit site
How much does Terri charge out of interest? Is it full livery only?

To the OP-I don't find bristol very horsey to be honest, you have to go to the outskirts to find decent places. I work in the centre too and its a pain getting out in rush hour traffic, in the winter especially you wouldn't want a yard thats more than 30 mins away if you're going straight from work. Whereabouts in Bristol do you need to be near? if you are north try Tockington, I've only been to 1 yard there but it was nice.

annaellie

Visit site
Terri was a member on here I dont know if she still is. When I moved to bristol she sent me a link to her website and I do recall it being all full liv. Thogh I dont know what the yard is like.

pitter_patter

Visit site
That name rings bells, but I have no idea why LOL!!

Ok I think I have rather a lot of food for thought, so I am looking at quite a few then, Westerleigh way for definate possibly even Clevedon way, avoiding South West and Terri Hills and White Cat!!

Phew!! And Tobey I agree with you totally now!!

Actually where is Woollard BTW? Hope you don't mind but when I gather my thoughts I'll PM you for some tel no's etc!! To be honest I didn't think I would get so many replies!! So thank you all V much!

NeilM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about Badgworth Arena? They don't have XC, but they've got everything else.

I hope no one says anything bad about it, as a friend of mine is one of the Directors
blush.gif

Badgeworth Arena

[/ QUOTE ]

i work there
grin.gif

the only thing they dont have is 24 hours turnout but the horses do get turned out on a rota sort of basis and depending on the weather. they have 4 arenas
laugh.gif
1 is indoor with a very nice surface
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Mark very well, he has been a close friend for more years than I care to remember.
grin.gif
I asked him a while back about the XC course, he said, 'not in use any more, we need the land for horses'.

Jane is a heck of a rider, but I bet she's tough to work for
grin.gif

pitter_patter

Visit site
Thats Hunstrete isn't it JM07? It's VERY VERY lovely but also VERY VERY expensive!!

It's very interesting when you look around this area of how many people actually OWN and ride horses but how little there seems to be about!!

I WILL find the yard of my dreams!! lol!!

HollyP

Visit site
I did! Everyone told me what i was looking for didnt exist and I would be lucky to find it! It was a case of being in the right place at the right time
smile.gif

xx

P.S a friend of mine is at Terris and very happy and I dont think its all Full...she is on Part...

pitter_patter

Visit site
You give me hope!!

I've got until at least April to decide, which makes me convinced that I'll be able to find something by then!!

If not I'll be the one on the suspension Bridge looking frazzled!!

shocked.gif

pitter_patter

Visit site
How much is your friend paying?

Does she have an indoor school? I could maybe sacrifice good quiet hacking for somewhere indoors? But I've only seen it from the front driving past *shudders at thought of traffic*

siennamum

Visit site
I think Terri's is fine, lots of her liveries have been there donkey's years so there are plenty of people who are happy with her. Best thing is to give her a ring. It's unlikely anyone would be able to guarantee a place for next April so at this stage it would just be research anyway.

HollyP

Visit site
No indoors...no idea how much she pays maybe 85 a week? dont think the school are top notch either which was one of my big things!! haha oh i feel so smug!