Yearling Halter Broken in Under Two Hours..!! :D

Jive Master

Visit site
Just got back from the stables and had to share it. I went down this morning with the intention that once the others were sorted i would make a start on Berti, My Yearling. For those of you that read my other thread you will already know i was given many ideas. Well i have to send a big thanks to both popsdosh & spring father. I took your advice and just went in to get the job done.

I led the mare to another stable (that she couldnt get out of) and went in to Berti with a lunge whip (longest thing i could find). After three potential breakouts (triyng to jump the door) & one successful escape, I got him back in and had a lead rope & halter round his neck in about 50 mins. With half hour of being dragged round the stable, including rearing & bucking, and him trying to bite I finally got the halter on over his nose..!!

He is now back in with mum as I've been urgently called away, but at least its on him & he his letting me touch him. To my amazement I came out with no cuts, bruises or broken bones..!! I am absolutely shattered (think he is too..!!) but Buzzing..!! :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

joulsey

Visit site
*tootles off to look at original post*

Currently have a very wild unhandled 8 month old welsh/ISH, that managed to get his original headcollar from the auction off that we can't get near!

Jive Master

Visit site
*tootles off to look at original post*

Currently have a very wild unhandled 8 month old welsh/ISH, that managed to get his original headcollar from the auction off that we can't get near!

This little man is 8 months old, never been touched by a Human & came from the auction 2 days ago :D From how he was when we picked him I Never thought I'd have done it so quickly.

joulsey

Visit site
This little man is 8 months old, never been touched by a Human & came from the auction 2 days ago :D From how he was when we picked him I Never thought I'd have done it so quickly.

I have just read your previous post...we did the softly softly approach, then 3 of us went in determined to get a leadrope on him, or just to be able to touch him. We used a cane to touch him all along his body, and we managed to get him in a corner with a door and a wall between us and him and all 3 of us had our hands on him, stratching, rubbing...he seemed really calm, but you couldn't get near his head. With pot luck we managed to catch his headcollar at the right time with the leadrope clip. Did a bit of pressure and release and called it a day. The next day he had managed to take his headcollar off the swine. We have moved yards now so don't have the good set up we had before with the door and wall for our safety. So looks like we are just going to have to go in and try again.

This guy was feral with a herd, then brought in and manhandled for mirco chipping, then the auction, then getting him to where we got him from, so that's the only experience with humans!

I honestly thought, once we had got hands on him and gave him a good itch and rub he would be right as rain, as previous yearlings have been that have come to me, but he has other ideas!

Jive Master

Visit site
I have just read your previous post...we did the softly softly approach, then 3 of us went in determined to get a leadrope on him, or just to be able to touch him. We used a cane to touch him all along his body, and we managed to get him in a corner with a door and a wall between us and him and all 3 of us had our hands on him, stratching, rubbing...he seemed really calm, but you couldn't get near his head. With pot luck we managed to catch his headcollar at the right time with the leadrope clip. Did a bit of pressure and release and called it a day. The next day he had managed to take his headcollar off the swine. We have moved yards now so don't have the good set up we had before with the door and wall for our safety. So looks like we are just going to have to go in and try again.

This guy was feral with a herd, then brought in and manhandled for mirco chipping, then the auction, then getting him to where we got him from, so that's the only experience with humans!

I honestly thought, once we had got hands on him and gave him a good itch and rub he would be right as rain, as previous yearlings have been that have come to me, but he has other ideas!

Haha I really don't know how I managed solo. Ahh yes I forget microchipping, I have no clue how they managed to get that in him..!!

To be honest Berti still isn't keen on being touched, I had him on the lead rope but he still jumps away and rears up when you try to touch him, especially his neck & head. Not sure how it's going to go the second time but I hope it will be easier.

Good luck with yours, I must admit I did enjoy it :D x

joulsey

Visit site
This post has just made me more determined now, so all hell is going to break loose this weekend! He's a sweet wee thing though, when he's worried/scared he goes into the corner and lowers his head like he's trying to hide, then will lift it up back up as if to say "you still here?", then quickly bob down again. Not kicked out or reared or anything yet which is a good thing.

Best of luck with yours too

Jive Master

Visit site
This post has just made me more determined now, so all hell is going to break loose this weekend! He's a sweet wee thing though, when he's worried/scared he goes into the corner and lowers his head like he's trying to hide, then will lift it up back up as if to say "you still here?", then quickly bob down again. Not kicked out or reared or anything yet which is a good thing.

Best of luck with yours too

Haha, I think he secretly wants you to cuddle him, let me know how you get on..!
I've never had a youngster before so didn't know what to expect, whenever i've been in the stable the last 2 days he hurries around and turns his arse & gives a little buck. Hope this morning has solved that issue at least..! We shall see later on :D

Dry Rot

Visit site
So where's the link to the previous thread then? :(

This is a job I hate! I managed it with the last one by getting him to feed out of a bucket. The trouble is, a bucket is too deep so it's impossible to get your hands in while the foal's nose is in there too. There is another problem in that I am working alone and am 75, so rugby tackling them is out.

So I cut a bucket down so I basically had a feeding "plate" a couple of inches deep. Once hooked on eating hard feed, he had to brush past my hands to get the feed. All this done through a gate with the plate on the floor and me on all fours as the dear little chap not only bites but kicks too!

Desensitising done, the next step was to get him eating through the head collar which was finally buckled up. Job done! The biggest problem is finding a head collar that will fit first try. Nothing worse than trying to fit a head collar on a wild foal.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Just one other piece of advice I'd give you OP, is to, when you catch him up again, have a piece of rope or a leather grab strap and attach it to the headcollar under the chin. You only need one about a foot long. Then it's much easier to catch them again the second, third, fourth time ... after that point you should be able to catch your little one quite easily. You may still have a little bit of cajoling to catch little one a few more times but they do come round really quickly so after a week I'd say, you and he should have a nice little relationship going :)

joulsey

Visit site
I found with one yearling, it was sometimes easier to use a headcollar that unbuckled at the head and the noseband. So I would fasten around the neck, and then around the nose. But this yearling was relatively friendly and welcomed cuddles but loose in 3 acres so I couldn't corner it anywhere and each time I put it up to her nose she backed up and ran away. Not sure how well it would work on a mainly feral one, may be too much faffing around the head.

I went onto OP's profile and looked at past posts to get original thread

Jive Master

Visit site
Just one other piece of advice I'd give you OP, is to, when you catch him up again, have a piece of rope or a leather grab strap and attach it to the headcollar under the chin. You only need one about a foot long. Then it's much easier to catch them again the second, third, fourth time ... after that point you should be able to catch your little one quite easily. You may still have a little bit of cajoling to catch little one a few more times but they do come round really quickly so after a week I'd say, you and he should have a nice little relationship going :)

Yes, lets just say tonight was even more eventful..!! he had clearly thought up new escape plans..!! Would you leave his headcollar on then..?? I'm asking because it appears the foal one I bought falls off even at it's smallest. I can see he is now looking for attention but doesn't want to 'give in' as such.

Jive Master

Visit site
So where's the link to the previous thread then? :(

This is a job I hate! I managed it with the last one by getting him to feed out of a bucket. The trouble is, a bucket is too deep so it's impossible to get your hands in while the foal's nose is in there too. There is another problem in that I am working alone and am 75, so rugby tackling them is out.

So I cut a bucket down so I basically had a feeding "plate" a couple of inches deep. Once hooked on eating hard feed, he had to brush past my hands to get the feed. All this done through a gate with the plate on the floor and me on all fours as the dear little chap not only bites but kicks too!

Desensitising done, the next step was to get him eating through the head collar which was finally buckled up. Job done! The biggest problem is finding a head collar that will fit first try. Nothing worse than trying to fit a head collar on a wild foal.

Here's the link sorry : http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?688468-Weaning-Foal-Help!

Haha, well I didn't rugby tackle but I did pounce :D

Spring Feather

Visit site
My foals are haltered as soon as they are born and these leather halters remain on them 24/7. I don't use nylon halters but if I did I'd be a bit nervous to leave one on a youngster, especially in the stable.

Here's the foal who I use as my avatar. She is about 4 or 5 days old in this photo and she had her halter put on within a few hours of being born. I have loads of leather halters and my youngsters just have theirs changed to the next size once they grow out of their one.

026.jpg

Jive Master

Visit site
I found with one yearling, it was sometimes easier to use a headcollar that unbuckled at the head and the noseband. So I would fasten around the neck, and then around the nose. But this yearling was relatively friendly and welcomed cuddles but loose in 3 acres so I couldn't corner it anywhere and each time I put it up to her nose she backed up and ran away. Not sure how well it would work on a mainly feral one, may be too much faffing around the head.

I went onto OP's profile and looked at past posts to get original thread

This is exactly what I did..!! Cornered him put it round his neck first; holding a lead rope, fighting a yearling (very strong for a lil lad), dodging front feet and trying to do the headcollar up was a nightmare..!! then I managed to slip the already fastened nose band over his nose, much to his disgust. But he absolutely HATES his head being touched so it was a challange. Only to find out the headcollar is far to big (do they go smaller than foal size.?!?)

I did get two very tiny back hooves hurtled at my stomach this evening, but he knows he is too cute to get grumpy with :D

Jive Master

Visit site
This is exactly what I did..!! Cornered him put it round his neck first; holding a lead rope, fighting a yearling (very strong for a lil lad), dodging front feet and trying to do the headcollar up was a nightmare..!! then I managed to slip the already fastened nose band over his nose, much to his disgust. But he absolutely HATES his head being touched so it was a challange. Only to find out the headcollar is far to big (do they go smaller than foal size.?!?)

I did get two very tiny back hooves hurtled at my stomach this evening, but he knows he is too cute to get grumpy with :D

I was thinking about this just now actually, Haven't even finished with this one & I'm already thinking about the next one..! I definitely think if I have a new born foal I will do this, I can imagine it makes life 100 times easier.

Do leather halter break easier then..? I need to get a new smaller one anyway so if leathers better i'll go for that. What brand are the ones you use?

Jive Master

Visit site
My foals are haltered as soon as they are born and these leather halters remain on them 24/7. I don't use nylon halters but if I did I'd be a bit nervous to leave one on a youngster, especially in the stable.

Here's the foal who I use as my avatar. She is about 4 or 5 days old in this photo and she had her halter put on within a few hours of being born. I have loads of leather halters and my youngsters just have theirs changed to the next size once they grow out of their one.

026.jpg

What an idiot, I managed to quote myself in the above post, instead of you SF

Jive Master

Visit site
Just looking at them but unsure whether to get foal or newborn. Its probably a ridiculous question but his head is tiny..!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Just looking at them but unsure whether to get foal or newborn. Its probably a ridiculous question but his head is tiny..!!

I think they have a page where you check the measurements of each part of the halter so that you order the right size. I just order generically as I have so many youngsters and I know each halter will fit someone lol.

SarahWeston

Visit site
I have to say all of this really worries me. If you turn halter breaking into a battle then that is just what it is, breaking, and it tells the pony everything they need to know about humans - they are prepared to force things. Much better to do it with the pony's consent having established touch first. Inevitably when it has been done this way the pony has to wear his headcollar for a lot longer, putting him at risk in the field even with a breakable one because it doesn't teach the pony what you actually need him to know - how to accept a headcollar willingly and how to be caught. The aim should not be to do it as quickly as possible but as kindly as possible - it's an investment in their future.

Jive Master

Visit site
I have to say all of this really worries me. If you turn halter breaking into a battle then that is just what it is, breaking, and it tells the pony everything they need to know about humans - they are prepared to force things. Much better to do it with the pony's consent having established touch first. Inevitably when it has been done this way the pony has to wear his headcollar for a lot longer, putting him at risk in the field even with a breakable one because it doesn't teach the pony what you actually need him to know - how to accept a headcollar willingly and how to be caught. The aim should not be to do it as quickly as possible but as kindly as possible - it's an investment in their future.

I had the same thought process & concerns as you, but actually once I did it, I realised it put less stress on him getting it done quickly than it did stressing him out every time I went within 5 ft of him. After today he will now feed from my hand so the trust building can begin, I just had to get him over the initial stage. I sought advice from experienced breeders & the process they have been using for many years worked for me. I guess it's different for everyone. Also as he is 8 months old already I am short of time to get him gelded & he can't be gelded if he can't be handled.

Last edited:

Ladyinred

Visit site

I am in full agreement with this and have read the thread with a degree of horror. I think we will continue to do things 'our' way, even if they take a little longer. Three out of our five were not halter broke when we got them and I can't in all honesty ever remember doing it formally or with any drama. We got to know them and then slipped a headcollar on with their agreement. Of the remaining two, one was 'halter broke' by an eight year old girl and he was a 16hh three year old!

I feel this will be the first of several battles for the OP since she has set the bench mark.

popsdosh

Visit site
I am so pleased you managed to get there, you did well I must admit you really feel you have achieved something when its done . I also think you now know they dont lose your trust through doing it ,infact its the opposite reaction .

Dry Rot

Visit site

(Picture, delightful though it was, deleted to conserve band width!:)).

I want some of SpringFeather's horses! (Did I really write that?). My calm in-your-face friendly Highland mares are completely different animals once they've foaled. Some will be up the other end of the field like race horses, with their foals, as soon as they've foaled when they hear the click of the gate latch. Yes, they do settle down in a few days but you still won't get a hand on their foals, let alone a head collar. Could that have anything to do with centuries of selective breeding, one by Nature and the other by Mann, for two totally convergent purposes? I also suspect all SF's mares foal inside. Wimps!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t241/lagopus_lagopus/gracefoal_zps39ba2f51.jpg[/IMG

Getting ready for the "off"! :)

Jive Master

Visit site
I am so pleased you managed to get there, you did well I must admit you really feel you have achieved something when its done . I also think you now know they dont lose your trust through doing it ,infact its the opposite reaction .

Total sense of achievement when I'm stood there with him on a lead rope looking at me like 'hey its not so bad' :D well thanks for your advice & yes he trusts me enough now to eat from my hand so he can't hate me that much..! Thanks again guys :D

Tbh I started this thread as I was proud of my achievement, having never been near a youngster in my life, and I wanted to share it with those that gave advice. So please don't fill it with negative comments, I refuse to let it drag me down from my high. :D