Yearling Halter Broken in Under Two Hours..!! :D

Spring Feather

Visit site
Could that have anything to do with centuries of selective breeding, one by Nature and the other by Mann, for two totally convergent purposes? I also suspect all SF's mares foal inside. Wimps!

Lol! I suspect you could very well be right with your former comment and yes mine do foal inside :)

Total sense of achievement when I'm stood there with him on a lead rope looking at me like 'hey its not so bad' :D well thanks for your advice & yes he trusts me enough now to eat from my hand so he can't hate me that much..! Thanks again guys :D

Tbh I started this thread as I was proud of my achievement, having never been near a youngster in my life, and I wanted to share it with those that gave advice. So please don't fill it with negative comments, I refuse to let it drag me down from my high. :D

You are very welcome and I'm pleased you are on a high and you've found that this way does work very nicely for both parties. I wouldn't be critical of others and their way of doing it however, everyone does things differently, and I suspect you'll find a huge difference between breeders who breed, foal out and handle a number of foals every year ... and those who don't. As always though, horses for courses :)

Jive Master

Visit site
I really don't mean to criticise, everybody has their ways & methods and at the end of they day, it's watever works best for you and your horses. Sorry if I offended at all :D

popsdosh

Visit site
I really don't mean to criticise, everybody has their ways & methods and at the end of they day, it's watever works best for you and your horses. Sorry if I offended at all :D

You didnt offend anybody its just that some perceive what you did as wrong (as you at first were not sure) and now you can see that it was not what you expected. As I said over the years when faced with this situation I have evolved a method that works 100% of the time and if anybody thinks its wrong they should at least see it done first. My choice is always to have them haltered from day one ,but if anybody asks me to get a halter on anything older of any age I always do it this way and invariably on my own!
Anyhow im pleased it worked for you now onwards and upwards.

Blurr

Visit site
Whilst you have got a halter on your youngster, I'd venture to say it's not what I'd call 'halter broke'. For me that's when you can take the halter off and put it back on again with no difficulty. And that's why many of us prefer gradual desensitization methods, as all the steps you take have the youngster involved in a learning experience that builds up to having a halter put on, and taken off, and put on ... That's the test. Horses for courses though, good luck with him.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Keep up the work with them I'm sure that in a couple of weeks they'll both have come on a long way :)
Do you know their history at all? Is there a chance the mare is in foal again?

popsdosh

Visit site
Whilst you have got a halter on your youngster, I'd venture to say it's not what I'd call 'halter broke'. For me that's when you can take the halter off and put it back on again with no difficulty. And that's why many of us prefer gradual desensitization methods, as all the steps you take have the youngster involved in a learning experience that builds up to having a halter put on, and taken off, and put on ... That's the test. Horses for courses though, good luck with him.

Why do people have to be so negative!!!!

Tnavas

Visit site
My foals are haltered as soon as they are born and these leather halters remain on them 24/7. I don't use nylon halters but if I did I'd be a bit nervous to leave one on a youngster, especially in the stable.

Here's the foal who I use as my avatar. She is about 4 or 5 days old in this photo and she had her halter put on within a few hours of being born. I have loads of leather halters and my youngsters just have theirs changed to the next size once they grow out of their one.

I'm like you with my home bred foals - as I find that though quite easy the first couple of days they sometimes go totally feral a few days later

Ruby, had a halter on at birth, her back legs are still in mum!
Wishawfilly19October2008003.jpg

I've done both types of approaches to haltering/handling wild foals. One I got my arms around its neck, linked my hands together and went on a wild ride around the stable, after spinning for several minutes he stopped, I secured the halter around his neck and then over the nose after a couple more spins. He was absolutely fine the next day and within a couple of weeks was at the gate when called.

My very first wild Welshman took several months to catch. He was fed through the majority of the winter so was aware that good things come with humans but was still feral. Finally with the help of a friend (we were about 14 at the time) and a lunge line we cornered him, got a head collar on him and he never looked back.

One standardbred filly I owned had been halter broken as a foal and then was totally feral as a yearling and would have you with feet and teeth, we finally ran her through a crush, reached over and as she went to bite slipped a headcollar over her nose. Once that was on she was a changed character.

Some of my on homebred foals have been feral and I've done the sneak up and got ya moves on them in a small yard with mum there. My Clydie mare who when I got her had been halter broken - in that she had a headcollar on, travelled for four hours on a trailer to get to me and then put in a yard on arrival, she was probably the slowest I had to learn to catch, she would be fine for a while and then go feral again for a time. Now she is at the gate the moment I arrive.

I think as with all things horsey you have to use the right method for the temperament.

Blurr

Visit site
Why do people have to be so negative!!!!

The OP has now been advised to attach a short rope to the halter so she can catch her horse. How is that 'halter broke'?

As for the photo of a foal with legs still inside the mare, wearing a halter, for goodness sake why? Surely if all you who advocate the 'tackle it' approach are as good at horsemanship as you profess (what with being professionals and all with far superior knowledge and skills than us mere pet horse owners), there's no need to halter a foal before it's even born. Before we know it the foal's nose will come out the mare and into a halter before even the ears are out!

JamOnToast

Visit site
I think alot of people are far too 'softly softly' with horses, especially when it comes to haltering foals, how exactly is a glove on a stick going to get the foal used to you touching it? It can probably see that it is exactly that, a glove on a stick!
I haltered a 5year old wild donkey, within an hour, simply stuck a headcollar on in the trailer, attatched a lungeline, and let him run circles until he realised he wasnt going anywhere, a week later he was being groomed by my young niece!

Dry Rot

Visit site
The OP has now been advised to attach a short rope to the halter so she can catch her horse. How is that 'halter broke'?

Do that with one of mine and you'll end up travelling down the field on your backside at around 30mph!

But I did learn something new the other day. Tie a short stiff rope to the head collar so a short piece is dragging on the ground. The foal will tread on the rope end and teach itself about "pressure-and-release".

I should have known that as we used to tie a short lead to puppies in the run. They'd play and pull each other about and learn that there was nothing to fear from being on a lead.

The next thing for the OP to do is to teach the foal to put the head collar on by itself. For some reason, I can't post pictures or videos. It's that obsolete software again. But click on this link:

http://youtu.be/IyQ_HHbMn-A

popsdosh

Visit site
Dont be childish!!!
I dont need to' tackle them' thats how you have it totally wrong! If you look through the other thread you will see that on Saturday last I haltered a feral yearling on my own and ended up pulling its mane in the middle of the box with no lead rope on ! from start to finish about 3hrs . I use ways that are not unsimilar to yours except the yearling does not get the opportunity to go away and think its won because you have backed down when it wont go that one step further. That yearling is now standing at the gate waiting to be handled every morning. It was obviously terrified by that experience lol
Of course nobody is saying that when you have the halter on it is the finished job it takes a little longer be able to put it on as and when however thats part of the reason for leaving a tail on the headcollar so you dont end up back at square one.
I have over the years dealt with many where the approach you advocate has failed and I often find they are the most difficult (because they have been faffed with)however up to now (40yrs) never had one that has not taken to it.

Sorry OP ! Dont be afraid to get in touch if you need any more advice.

Blurr

Visit site
I think alot of people are far too 'softly softly' with horses, especially when it comes to haltering foals, how exactly is a glove on a stick going to get the foal used to you touching it? It can probably see that it is exactly that, a glove on a stick!
I haltered a 5year old wild donkey, within an hour, simply stuck a headcollar on in the trailer, attatched a lungeline, and let him run circles until he realised he wasnt going anywhere, a week later he was being groomed by my young niece!

The glove on a stick gets them used to being touched with the added benefit of keeping the handler at a safe distance. It works, whether or not you chose to use that method yourself.

As for your donkey experience, I wouldn't recommend that with a foal, they panic and flip themselves to the floor far too easily.

Tnavas

Visit site
R

As for the photo of a foal with legs still inside the mare, wearing a halter, for goodness sake why? Surely if all you who advocate the 'tackle it' approach are as good at horsemanship as you profess (what with being professionals and all with far superior knowledge and skills than us mere pet horse owners), there's no need to halter a foal before it's even born. Before we know it the foal's nose will come out the mare and into a halter before even the ears are out!

I explained why in my post. my mares foal outside and stay outside 24/7. I've found the foals become quite feral at a week old and as I'm on my own with minimal facilities it was easier to get a halter on at birth. Makes them far easier to handle as the foal slip has a short strap hanging down.

Why do you have a problem with this? Or do you prefer to harass the foal day in day out cause it's soooo cute! I don't do that with my foal, they get handled for a few minutes twice a day and otherwise left to be foals.

I have no trouble catching them as adults, they come to the gate when called. Surely that's the ultimate goal, to have a horse easy to catch.

JamOnToast

Visit site
R

Why do you have a problem with this? Or do you prefer to harass the foal day in day out cause it's soooo cute! I don't do that with my foal, they get handled for a few minutes twice a day and otherwise left to be

This!
Too many people are like this, harrassing the foal with a glove on a stick etc for days, instead of quickly haltering and handling, Quickly and less stressful and drawn out for the foal!

Illusion100

Visit site
Well done for getting the headcollar on for the first time! Hardest part is over now. :)

Just wanted to add an opinion. To me there is a difference between 'halter broke' and 'pressure broke'. Having your baby comfortable with having the headcollar on and off is 'halter broke'. Submitting to applied pressure (forwards, backwards and sidewards) is 'pressure broke'

With regards to leaving a longer rope on, it means they stand on it and end up teaching themselves that in order to release the pressure they generally have to move back from it. So this can train them when pressure is applied to find a way to evade it when the goal should be to move in the direction of the pressure to release it. It can also teach them that unless the pressure is as strong as their own bodyweight, they do not have release to it, therefore learning to resist physical pressure weaker than themselves (cue being dragged about!)

A pro to this is that when it comes to tying up, when the horse tests the strength needed release pressure, they realise they are not strong enough to win and so tend to tie up very well.

Just wanted to add this as I don't think it does them any harm to learn not to panic if they stand on their rope and understand how to remove that pressure, however it will not 'pressure break' them in the way we apply pressure to the headcollar to get them to move in a specific direction.

Again, well done for getting the headcollar on and starting to gain trust and build confidence!:)

SarahWeston

Visit site
I go to so many semi-feral ponies where someone has forced a headcollar on to them and the pony makes a vow to never let that happen again. Sometimes the headcollar is embedded into the head because the pony's head has grown and of course the headcollar hasn't. I also find that ponies that have had a headcollar forced on them are at least ten times more difficult to get one on again. When time has been spent establishing touch first, at a distance (hence false hand on a stick or even better an extendable feather duster) and then closer with your own hands putting the headcollar is very easy and non-dramatic. Time, patience and technique is what builds up a relationship of trust and confidence, not violating them. It doesn't take long to halter TRAIN a pony using a kind technique and everything else is much easier afterwards too.

popsdosh

Visit site
I go to so many semi-feral ponies where someone has forced a headcollar on to them and the pony makes a vow to never let that happen again. Sometimes the headcollar is embedded into the head because the pony's head has grown and of course the headcollar hasn't. I also find that ponies that have had a headcollar forced on them are at least ten times more difficult to get one on again. When time has been spent establishing touch first, at a distance (hence false hand on a stick or even better an extendable feather duster) and then closer with your own hands putting the headcollar is very easy and non-dramatic. Time, patience and technique is what builds up a relationship of trust and confidence, not violating them. It doesn't take long to halter TRAIN a pony using a kind technique and everything else is much easier afterwards too.

I think you are making huge assumptions here without knowing what was done. I find that a little unfair to be honest! Suggesting anybody has violated them. Really!!!

SarahWeston

Visit site
I don't think it is unfair to suggest that forcing a headcollar on a foal or yearling is violating it As for assumptions, to use the word faffing makes an assumption about the efficacy of using other kinder and more logical methods of getting a pony accustomed to being around people, accepting a headcollar and being caught.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It happens often enough for me to be called out to remedy the situation.

Well you as one person, every week? I think there are plenty who are haltered in this manner whose owners are plenty responsible enough to continue training and adjust the halter as required. As opposed to those that halter and then abandon the animal, I think you are being quite alarmist!

joulsey

Visit site
I go to so many semi-feral ponies where someone has forced a headcollar on to them and the pony makes a vow to never let that happen again. Sometimes the headcollar is embedded into the head because the pony's head has grown and of course the headcollar hasn't.

OP nor anybody else on this post have said they are going to force a headcollar on the wee thing then just leave it and not do anything with it for so long that the headcollar will dig in. The whole point of getting the headcollar on is so that they can start doing things with it! Not abandon!

popsdosh

Visit site
I don't think it is unfair to suggest that forcing a headcollar on a foal or yearling is violating it As for assumptions, to use the word faffing makes an assumption about the efficacy of using other kinder and more logical methods of getting a pony accustomed to being around people, accepting a headcollar and being caught.

In my armoury is everything you mentioned ie touching etc. However I dont faff about for a week by backing off just when it needs you to be positive with it. I NEVER have a wrestling match with any its generally one on one out of choice and I value my well being more than that. I dont care how long it takes but I go in there with a positive attitude and dont stop until I have achieved what I set out to.I have never had to force a headcollar on any of them so I resent the implication thats what I suggest.
Where is the Violation in that?? Funnily enough they seem to like me for it also, or perhaps they are too frightened to do anything else LOL.
I find it rather annoying that I gave the OP some advice and she got a positive result which she was obviously happy with even though she had her reservations at the time. However I end up having to justify my suggestions.
The OP was very pleased with the result hence the thread but some people can only criticise when its not what you would do! Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut!!

Tnavas

Visit site
c. Time, patience and technique is what builds up a relationship of trust and confidence, not violating them. It doesn't take long to halter TRAIN a pony using a kind technique and everything else is much easier afterwards too.

Tell that to my horses that I have had since foals - I cannot get decent paddock pictures because the moment they see me they are at the gate. None of my 'Violated' horses has had to be broken in as such - all have had someone hop on them and ride them - all their lives they have been handled by a professional and that is often the difference, its often the amateur that causes the problems as without realising it they have given the lessons result to the pony not the handler.

You can get hold of them forcibly with kindness - its not a question of brute force, just that I'm not letting go - I've never been violent with any of mine and spent many a time spinning around a stable arms locked around a neck. They spin for a while and then realise no one is actually hurting them and stop. With a professional career with horses spanning 40+years I've never had one that has been a problem afterwards.

Occasionally you may have one that is always head shy - usually a reason as you say, but its a rare one. I have a friend who has a horse that we always describe as a ' her special needs horse' - if you don't put his bridle on a certain way, it doesn't go on. He loathes having his head handled - she knows he was really badly knocked about when in racing. He's 19 now and still has his moments.

I had a youngster that I bought as a very well and kindly handled foal who at three suddenly decided that he would no longer cooperate with anyone. He had been treated very well and patiently all his life. He is now 10, still as difficult as ever, is a top level National Endurance horse that almost made it to the World Games last year - he cannot wear a bit as in the early stages of each competition he pulls so hard that when he had a bit he'd rip is mouth to shreds. It's just his personality.

Occasionally you get one that doesn't like being caught - they usually have had an unacknowledged pain problem and are being sensible - why come in to be worked when it hurts? Generally stems from poor fitting gear and a sore back.

Spring Feather

Visit site
On reading this, I'm beginning to think that some people must deal with incredibly stupid people with no common sense whatsoever. Thankfully OP, you are nothing like these people, and your little guy and you will be absolutely fine continuing down the route you are going :)

Last edited:

Rhodders

Visit site
Wow, I turned my unhandled yearling out with my other horses,hung out with him in the field for a few weeks, lots of approach and retreat and he came to me of his own accord, can't think why anyone would think forcing yourself on a baby is a good plan. Shoot me down if you like but we've made it through to backing without any issues at all because he chose to be with me

Kallibear

Visit site
Safe distance ? I'd rather be positioned against the foal than a few foot away where they can strike you with a hoof.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Anyone who's worked with foals know they can be explosively unpredictable, esp with their feet. 'Popcorn' we call it ( i.e how popcorn pops in any direction without warming). Much safer hugging them then standing 2 ft away.

Personally I wouldn't call that 'halter broken'. I'd class halter broken as leading about and tying up but I suppose it's a case of varying definitions.

Well done OP, it'll be a relief. I'd be leaving it on until you can easily put a second head collar on over the top without any fuss.

My youngster was halter broken just before he was shipped over. He was rising 2yrs, completely feral and already 15.2hh. Bet that was fun! Rather them than me. L