Yellow lead?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Because you said:
Reading this thread I’m wondering why people think others should be aware of other dogs foibles

So I explained. I found it useful to tell other owners that my old boy was deaf. He sometimes got spooked by other dogs and didnt like other dogs getting up his bum having not heard them. It's also essential with Zak, who is dog aggressive.

A national campaign re DINOS/yellow leads would be useful, given that not every owner reads dog forums.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
My old terrier was deaf and partially sighted. Her wellbeing and safety was our responsibility, not everyone else's. If people own dogs that are nervous, disabled or aggressive, keep them on a lead, walk in places where they feel safe and at quieter times. Don't expect the general public to understand that there is a social media group colour coding leads for different issues that some dogs may have.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My old terrier was deaf and partially sighted. Her wellbeing and safety was our responsibility, not everyone else's. If people own dogs that are nervous, disabled or aggressive, keep them on a lead, walk in places where they feel safe and at quieter times. Don't expect the general public to understand that there is a social media group colour coding leads for different issues that some dogs may have.
agree, but other people dont seem to realise that your dog is on a lead for a reason and would allow their dogs to harass him ...i know it is not right but this is what seems to happen these days with some of the ignorant dog owners who think that their dog is no trouble and yours will be happy to be jumped over.....

skinnydipper

Visit site

Bit bigger than a social media group, I think.

DINOS founded originally by an American in 2011 and Yellow Dog Project by a Canadian in 2012.

The yellow dog project is a global movement for owners of dogs that need space.
Originally founded in 2012, it has been adopted by 45 countries worldwide!

"A YELLOW dog is not to be confused with an aggressive dog that has a bite history. These dogs need to be trained by a qualified behavioural trainer and we recommend they wear a “Red CAUTION” collar and leash (with a possible muzzle) whilst in their training process."
1555223898972.png

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I only knew about yellow leads on here. I thought they’d picked yellow as there were probably less of them about than blue or red ones. I had no idea that there were supposedly other colours too?!

skinnydipper

Visit site
I only knew about yellow leads on here. I thought they’d picked yellow as there were probably less of them about than blue or red ones. I had no idea that there were supposedly other colours too?!

The Yellow Dog Project was the start of it all, Esther.

Personally, I think that bringing in other colours for various issues clouded and confused the original message.

I showed the red dog lead because I had referred to it in a previous post.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Bit bigger than a social media group, I think.

DINOS founded originally by an American in 2011 and Yellow Dog Project by a Canadian in 2012.

The yellow dog project is a global movement for owners of dogs that need space.
Originally founded in 2012, it has been adopted by 45 countries worldwide!

"A YELLOW dog is not to be confused with an aggressive dog that has a bite history. These dogs need to be trained by a qualified behavioural trainer and we recommend they wear a “Red CAUTION” collar and leash (with a possible muzzle) whilst in their training process."
View attachment 31374

If it's been around for 6 years and is still unknown by dog owners, let alone the general public, then it's not been successful. I'd never heard of it and have never seen a dog wearing the labelled leads and yet I have often seen guide dogs which make up a much smaller percentage of the dog population.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Nor me
I've been occasionally borrowing OH's dog to take her for a walk recently as he doesn't have time. I have zero other interaction with the world of dog keeping and no interest either, tbh. This would all completely pass me by. I walk her on a lead because I'm not confident in her recall to me. I'm going off the whole idea now if there are all these codes that you're supposed to know about. I was just going with the common sense idea of keep her close to me and we'll mind our own business. Perhaps I'll just walk on my own from now on :(

hurricane124

Visit site
We have a yellow dog project lead cover which says 'i need space and she has patches on her harness saying ' rescue dog' and 'in training.
Considerate owners don't need to be told as they wouldn't let their off lead dog harass an on lead dog anyway.
Ignorant owners still don't care.

She's a rescue dog and thought to be an ex bait dog. She get very anxious and growly when approached by other dogs. Although I'm confident she won't do any damage it's not nice to see her upset and I'm not particularly fond of spending the money and time to work with behaviourist and carefully progress through training with her only to be set back by a bouncy little thing that 'Just wants to play' and leaves her terrified and agitated.

MissTyc

Visit site
Seems pretty well known around my area of East Sussex. I turned up at Canicross with my yellow rope and all the runners asked if it was intention as it meant I needed space. I said Yes Indeed, I Need Space! In the park as well, the yellow seems to be well understood. The problem of course is that some people lets their dogs run riot without any recall. The dogs don't care that I have a yellow lead (my normal walking lead also says ANXIOUS - STAY AWAY for additional human information). My dogs mind their own business. One is on lead, one usually off, but if a big bouncy dog comes over to annoy them they won't be impressed by it. More annoyingly, it takes them a while to get over. It is anxiety, they can't just brush it off and continue with a nice walk. It means 2-3 days of anxious pacing and checking every dog with suspicion.

{97702}

Visit site
I should know by now that the forum never ceases to astonish me - I cant believe there are people objecting to a great scheme which tries to educate people to make their dog leave another dog alone when on a walk!

As a matter of interest, do you have similar objections to red and green ribbons in horses tails to indicate a kicker/a young horse?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Seems pretty well known around my area of East Sussex. I turned up at Canicross with my yellow rope and all the runners asked if it was intention as it meant I needed space. I said Yes Indeed, I Need Space! In the park as well, the yellow seems to be well understood. The problem of course is that some people lets their dogs run riot without any recall. The dogs don't care that I have a yellow lead (my normal walking lead also says ANXIOUS - STAY AWAY for additional human information). My dogs mind their own business. One is on lead, one usually off, but if a big bouncy dog comes over to annoy them they won't be impressed by it. More annoyingly, it takes them a while to get over. It is anxiety, they can't just brush it off and continue with a nice walk. It means 2-3 days of anxious pacing and checking every dog with suspicion.

Yep, that's what people don't realise, they're 'he's just being friendly' means days if not weeks of a dog being on constant alert for the next ambush and a lot of good training time undone.....and if you can't recall from another dog, can you recall from livestock, a busy road, a terrified child? I think I can guess the answer....

bonny

Visit site
Think red ribbons in horses tail. How do people know about that then? If your on social media find the poster and post it to your friends and then they will know. Infact there you go. As for a public campaign DIY!
I think people know how the red ribbon on a horses tail for several reasons, they have been used for a long time, horses don’t normally have a ribbon in their tail and the horse world is small plus red means danger. Non of that applies to a dog lead, the yellow lead campaign will never work with other dog owners let alone the general population. I don’t see what it would achieve anyway and please don’t lecture me about other dogs hassling yours, a colour wouldn’t stop that

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Please don’t lecture me about other dogs hassling yours, a colour wouldn’t stop that

Nope, responsible ownership stops that, doesn't it? I think the debate itself is the most important thing. This thread has been viewed almost 3k times, I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers who might have learned something/taken all the points on board and might rethink their dog management :)

bonny

Visit site
Nope, responsible ownership stops that, doesn't it? I think the debate itself is the most important thing. This thread has been viewed almost 3k times, I'm sure there are plenty of lurkers who might have learned something/taken all the points on board and might rethink their dog management :)
I think that’s viewed 3k times by the same people that read the same message over and over on here, not the general public ! Anyway, I’m off for a walk with my dog to the local park, incidentally about a mile away along a towpath so tricky to give other dogs a wide berth ! It’s a park usually busy with dog walkers but I’ve yet to see any hassle caused by any of them.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Why would anyone who doesn’t have a dog that ‘appreciates’ its own space or members of popular dog forums, know this? I don’t care what colour your lead is, what it may or may not signify. I train my dogs not to approach others unless allowed. I do think though, that owners of entire dogs should stick a red ribbon around their dogs balls so I can identify them from a distance & walk in the opposite direction.😜

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I would just ‘tell’ (& I have) the owners, their PITA dog 🐕 s about to get savaged if they don’t recall. Everyone who speaks the English language understands that🙂

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
My goodness when did owning some mutts and walking them about ever become so highly complicated, risky and regimented. I do understand what some of you are saying about your dogs with issues and how they interact with other dogs out and about, or not as the case may be but I truly am astounded at what goes on in suburbia with the dog walking public. Quite sad actually if this is what it has come to just to try to enjoy walking the family dog in public - when did this seismic helicopter ownership shift in the whole dog ownership thing happen and more importantly why????o_O

Mule

Visit site
We have a yellow dog project lead cover which says 'i need space and she has patches on her harness saying ' rescue dog' and 'in training.
Considerate owners don't need to be told as they wouldn't let their off lead dog harass an on lead dog anyway.
Ignorant owners still don't care.

She's a rescue dog and thought to be an ex bait dog. She get very anxious and growly when approached by other dogs. Although I'm confident she won't do any damage it's not nice to see her upset and I'm not particularly fond of spending the money and time to work with behaviourist and carefully progress through training with her only to be set back by a bouncy little thing that 'Just wants to play' and leaves her terrified and agitated.
An ex bait dog :( poor thing, that's horrible. She's lucky you took her in.

Moobli

Visit site
I wouldn't realise a dog with a yellow lead - and no warning/writing on it - meant to give the dog space tbh. But as a responsible dog owner I put my dogs on leads or into a heel when we pass other dogs, children, old people, anyone really, when we are out and about. It is common courtesy. Not all dogs like other dogs, not all people like dogs and I also want to protect my dogs from any unwanted attention from others. Simples.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
It’s a park usually busy with dog walkers but I’ve yet to see any hassle caused by any of them.

Then you're very fortunate. In my local area, over four years this is, a mastiff type killed a greyhound. An Akita killed a papillon, I think it was, in our favourite park. An Akita cross bit one of my dogs, cost nearly a grand to fix the resultant infection. The same Akita cross then attacked a rough collie and bit the owner who ended up in A&E, police involved. A staffie attacked a chihuahua in the park round the corner, cost the owner £2k to fix, I'm actually amazed it survived. Then a 'pit bull' type attacked and seriously hurt another small dog a couple of months ago. We're in a very residential area. Generally, I don't have hassle, but I've made a point of being sociable while the OH trains the boys and I always tell other owners they don't like being interrupted.

I would just ‘tell’ (& I have) the owners, their PITA dog 🐕 s about to get savaged if they don’t recall. Everyone who speaks the English language understands that🙂

Yes, but then you risk being reported for having a known aggressive dog in public. (Admission and all that)

A large young dog did a missile impression at mine this morning. He got a big shock when both of them had a proper go at him. The owner then said it will teach him a lesson, but it's not up to my dogs to train hers not to approach, SHE needs to put in the time and training.

I've also experienced the 'Mine is friendly/just wants to play I have put in zero training and cannot recall ohshitohshitohshit' so many times. Mine bloody doesn't! I've also had the entitled 'Well, my dog can do as he likes, no I won't recall', notably from the owner of the dog that attacked mine. My three were straining to get to hers!