Yet again the Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt bringing hunting into disrepute

Judgemental

The Internet makes one's location irrelevant
Visit site
A video of a fox appearing to be being chased by hounds across a graveyard has emerged in Somerset.
The scene was filmed by animal welfare campaigners Hounds Off and Somerset Wildlife Crime on Saturday February 23, before a member of one of the groups asked for the hounds to be called back.

The campaigners say the footage was filmed at St Peter and St Paul's Church in Charlton Horethorne near Wincanton.

0_TJR_SOM_050319vixenchase_03.jpg

Hounds are visible in the graveyard, running between graves (Image: Somerset Wildlife Crime/Hounds Off)

It has been claimed the vixen involved was recently pregnant and lactating.
The video shows a single fox being followed by several hounds across the graveyard.

The vixen then runs into some bushes before racing away across a field.

1_TJR_SOM_050319vixenchase_04.jpg

The fox is filmed racing across the churchyard with numerous hounds following (Image: Somerset Wildlife Crime/Hounds Off)
No hunters are seen on the graveyard but later a man on horseback wearing hunting attire is asked to call off the hounds "right away."
The campaigners claim the hunt involved was Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt.
Somerset Live approached Countryside Alliance - the organisation which deals with press enquiries for Blackmore and Sparkford Vale Hunt - but it did not to respond to questions sent on Friday, March 1.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hounds follow the scent, as in a previous h&h issue through a newly laid soft concrete extension base. No it is not ok but you are not always 10 ft from hounds to turn them away, and its probably not illegal. They were not "hunting in a graveyard" merely following scent through a graveyard.

This kind of attitude - 'it's probably not illegal' - explains why so many folk were so keen on a ban. And they were not following a scent, they were chasing a vixen, we were told.

The answer is no, by the way, it can't be ten years old if it was taken on Saturday 23rd February. It's just a video of what's happening at a significant number of hunts (graveyard excepted) every week.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hounds follow the scent, as in a previous h&h issue through a newly laid soft concrete extension base. No it is not ok but you are not always 10 ft from hounds to turn them away, and its probably not illegal. They were not "hunting in a graveyard" merely following scent through a graveyard.
Doesn't matter a church, a graveyard is sacred, where the dead are at peace and where love ones can come and pray. This is disrespectful to everyone running the church and those at peace. Disgusting behaviour.

Judgemental

Visit site
I suspect the video might be helpful? It certainly seems that the cameramen are much better at keeping up with hounds than any hunt staff.

Certainly is very helpful.
Anybody viewing the video can make a formal complaint to the police that a clear breach of the Hunting Act 2004 took place. Why, the huntsman was clearly DOUBLING HIS HORN by way of encouragement when he was riding alongside the curtilage wall of the church yard. When he realised he was being filmed he blew a call to hounds.
Plainly the Blackmore and Sparkford Vale hunt are routinely in the habit of hunting live quarry and the huntsman should be immediately be dismissed.
Turning to the conduct of the joint masters and committee, they too have a case to answer as to their duty of care.
Finally there is nothing to stop any party who is offended by the hunt deliberately hunting a fox through a grave yard, from taking action for distress and anxiety. Reason the hunt was taking place over and through consecrated ground, both under Canon Law and the Law of England and Wales.

Reactions: DD

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That is one of the best evidential monitor videos I've seen. Just video what's happening, don't interfere until it's life or death for the fox, let the events speak for themselves. No sabbing, citronella sprays, false horn calls which give the hunt a cop out that the sabs interfered with their control of hounds.

The hunt on this occasion look as guilty as heck. 'Trail' hunting? Not likely :mad:.

ycbm

Visit site
Finally there is nothing to stop any party who is offended by the hunt deliberately hunting a fox through a grave yard, from taking action for distress and anxiety. .

Unfortunately this isn't true in the UK, but let's hope there's a criminal prosecution.

Shay

Visit site
Sadly the number of faked videos have made police understandably wary of prosecutions. The RSPCA would for a time - but they too have fallen foul of faked "evidence" which failed to stand up in court. Even if this one is genuine - the campaigners have done their cause so much damage by concocting false allegations that it has made anything which might be genuine very difficult to prosecute.

ycbm

Visit site
Sadly the number of faked videos have made police understandably wary of prosecutions. The RSPCA would for a time - but they too have fallen foul of faked "evidence" which failed to stand up in court. Even if this one is genuine - the campaigners have done their cause so much damage by concocting false allegations that it has made anything which might be genuine very difficult to prosecute.

Didn't the RSPCA fall foul of the enormous cost? The prosecution which halted their activities against hunting, as I recall, was successful, but the hundreds of thousands that it cost to achieve it caused outrage.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
They were not "hunting in a graveyard" merely following scent through a graveyard
See pic and helpful large red arrow. The hounds were indeed hunting the fox throught the graveyard.

image.jpeg

ETA The vicar has confirmed that she did not give permission for the hounds to come into the graveyard. Well, she wouldn't have, would she, but it's always best to check these little details, isn't it.

Last edited:

Judgemental

Visit site
Unfortunately this isn't true in the UK, but let's hope there's a criminal prosecution.
Of course, the hunt could easily ameliorate the situation where the Church is concerned, by giving a generous donation to the Parochial Church Council of Charlton Horethorne parish chuch. All masters of hounds, carry professional/personal indemnity insurance or should do.
A figure of at least £5,000.00 should be proffered as a donation and that should cover the discourtesy to the church, and families of those interred.
Turning to the conduct of the huntsman, plainly he was DOUBLING HIS HORN, which is to encourage hounds after the fox and also to tell the Field, i.e. Ladies and Gentlemen followers, that the hounds were hunting a fox.
A blatant and unforgivable breach of the 2004 Hunting Act has taken place and the maximum sanction should be imposed by the judiciary.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
JM, whilst I still believe that you are a collection of antis who post at intervals under the JM username, I support your post above.

For those who still hunt and also whinge about being monitored 'because we obey the law and trail hunt legally', see the above video. If you have nothing to hide, why object to being monitored? Blame the packs who take the royal pee with the Hunting Act.

Last edited:

Judgemental

Visit site
JM, whilst I still believe that you are a collection of antis who post at intervals under the JM username, I support your post above.

For those who still hunt and also whinge about being monitored 'because we obey the law and trail hunt legally', see the above video. If you have nothing to hide, why object to being monitored? Blame the packs who take the royal pee with the Hunting Act.
Tiddlypom, I assure you I am not as you describe, "a collection of antis who post at intervals under the JM username".

No, motivation for matters related to hunting in the Blackmore Vale are unique, related to disgraceful illegal conduct (nothing to do with hunting precisely). Many moons have passed.

Last edited:

Judgemental

Visit site
0_SWNS_GRAVEYARD_FOX_10.jpg
The video evidence was captured by a group looking at the "cruel" practice (Image: Somerset Wildlife Crime /SWNS)

Please can any poster identify the individual in the above picture who is believed to be the huntsman. Not only was he doubling his horn, but he was also initially drawing the Church Yard. Then, when the hounds flushed the vixen, and was making a 'nice point' , he responded to the various hollers by the field or foot followers by blowing gone away.

Plainly a very very serious criminal offence took place at Charlton Hawthorne in flagrant breach of the Hunting Act 2004.

Judgemental

Visit site
See pic and helpful large red arrow. The hounds were indeed hunting the fox throught the graveyard.

View attachment 30262

ETA The vicar has confirmed that she did not give permission for the hounds to come into the graveyard. Well, she wouldn't have, would she, but it's always best to check these little details, isn't it.

The more I consider this situation, the more I am disgusted by the conduct of the BV.

Whilst it is rare, whenever the Field are on any road and pass a funeral cortege with coffin in the hearse, the Field Master should come to the halt and say, "gentleman hats off".

It is high time that precise and correct etiquette for those hunting in a public places, learn manners and courtesy to the public at large.

Reactions: L&M

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
A few years ago there was an incidence of EHV near our livery yard. As there was a bit of panic in the local equestrian community (not from me I hasten to add) the estate who shall remain nameless arranged a meeting with a local vet, a couple of the estate staff, and the liveries on our yard to discuss the EHV and the quarantine process the horses were undergoing, restictions of movement etc etc. I remember one of the estate staff discussing the hunting in the area and saying something like (in a sarcastic tone of voice), "us breaking the law? Never!" and then looked at the other estate members and all broke into huge guffaws. I was disgusted at their arrogance, although not surprised. Funny isn't it, because if it were a gang of inner city chavs on mopeds with staffies chasing after some sort of critter and allowing it to be mauled to death they would probably call them a bunch of savages and should be locked away, but a bunch of tweed-wearing toffs on their horses and it's perfectly acceptable to ignore the law.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It is high time that precise and correct etiquette for those hunting in a public places, learn manners and courtesy to the public at large.
Simply sticking to the letter and the spirit of the law would be a start. It would be a bonus if they also showed courtesy and mannerly behavior to the general public whilst they are at it.

Judgemental

Visit site
Simply sticking to the letter and the spirit of the law would be a start. It would be a bonus if they also showed courtesy and mannerly behavior to the general public whilst they are at it.
Tiddlypom, you are quite right but the trouble is, that that part of Somerset and Dorset is as is often said, "the forgotten counties".
Many of the players are ex Public School and have gone from school to inherited farms, without even the benefit of an Agricultural College, let alone University. As a result they have never learnt the values, of the law and have an inflated opinion of their own self importance in their agrarian bubble. This attitude, consequently overlaps into a flagrant disregard for the law and their self obsessed and inbred belief, that it does not apply, or in a tight spot they can get away with what ever happens.

Last edited:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Tiddlypom, you are quite right but the trouble is, that that part of Somerset and Dorset is as is often said, "the forgotten counties".
Many of the players are ex Public School and have gone from school to inherited farms, without even the benefit of an Agricultural College, let alone University. As a result they have never learnt the values, of the law and have an inflated opinion of their own self importance in their agrarian bubble. This attitude, consequently overlaps into a flagrant disregard for the law and their self obsessed and inbred belief, that it does not apply, or in a tight spot they can get away with what ever happens.

How do you manage to get about, with that great big chip on your shoulder? :oops:

Judgemental

Visit site
Living fairly locally I have never heard them referred to as such!

You have now ester. Largely I suspect because everything to do with hunting in the Blackmore Vale and the associated majority, are a collection of obsequious sycophantic toadies, all anxious to seek approbation, approval and social acceptance from/by those in the said agrarian and very provincial bubble, dispensing insincere flattery.

The fact the hunt kennels are at Charlton Horethorne and a vixen with a litter of cubs was being hunted through the church yard is remarkable, yet seems from all accounts to be acceptable. Notwithstanding the fact it is a clear and undeniable CRIMINAL OFFENCE having been committed. Seemingly there other posters who say one has a chip, indeed a double chip for having the temerity to focus upon this criminality.

Whilst the chip or chips are not part of your post, I can assure you/them I have nothing about which to have any chips. I know where and with whom I have been the morning, for example and chippieness is so unlikely. Such remarks are indicative of those with a bucolic mentality, that does not like it's criminal past times being exposed.

No, theses people in the Blackmore Vale and collateral parts of Dorset and Somerset, have to be brought before the courts and taught, they have to observe the law of England and Wales. "Be you ever so high you are not above the law."

Wearing a Pink/Red coat and calling oneself a master of hounds, no longer confers any outstanding status in society, except amongst a minority of provincials.

Last edited: