Yikes, thats some attitude...!!!

ihatework

Visit site
Thank you. I will absolutely not be letting him go until I'm sure he's ready, and any potential new owner will be questioned thoroughly.
His long term welfare is now my very utmost priority. If it takes months, then it takes months. I'm 100% committed to him. I'm now looking at it that he will be a fun challenge and it will be lovely to see him blossom into the cracker I know he will be. Plus, I can wait til he starts to change his coat 😍😍😍😍

I think if you could possibly invest a few months of your time handling and a bit of cash into professional breaking, assuming he comes right (which there is no reason he shouldn’t), then you should get 5-6K as a rising 4yo. Now, with what you will need to invest, plus any sales commission, you may not actually come out quids in - but you will learn along the way and hopefully have a decent lump sum at the end which is more realistic to buy what you want & need.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
I think you should have a look at quarter horses, some of them have the best temperament you can find in a horse. Think 6 year old stallion left "ground tied" (that's when you let the rope on the ground) while the owner potters about... on a yard full of other horses. They might not be very big in size but they ride big and comfy to boot.

My friends have a young QH and he's the most challenging horse ever known! He will attack you and challenge you constantly. They're incredibly experienced people with a life time of working with horses and they are pretty much calling it a day with him.

Annagain

Visit site
If he were ever going anywhere SLH, I'd send you my Monty (well not mine, he's my share horse). He'd be your Mr Perfect. 17hh of pure, calm sensibleness but with enough personality to make him interesting. Breeding wise, I'm not sure where he gets his temperament from as he's 5/8 TB, 1/4 Sec D and 1/8 Shire! He's done 90 eventing with me and even at 23 is still doing some show jumping and elementary dressage but has also been brilliant for novice riders and is currently going to pony club with his owner's 12 yr old son. He was no different when my friend bought him at 5. In the 18 years we've had him, nobody has ever fallen off him - just fallen over with him a couple of times. It's a long way from that brain to those feet! They are out there - don't lose hope.

....and just because
1GfKTMU.jpg

qXXaXRd.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
I think if you could possibly invest a few months of your time handling and a bit of cash into professional breaking, assuming he comes right (which there is no reason he shouldn’t), then you should get 5-6K as a rising 4yo. Now, with what you will need to invest, plus any sales commission, you may not actually come out quids in - but you will learn along the way and hopefully have a decent lump sum at the end which is more realistic to buy what you want & need.

I was about to say the same. It wont technically be a massive profit, but you will spend it in dribs and drabs and then when you sell him you will have a sizable lump sum for the next one and that does make it easier

JJS

Visit site
I can't see how he'd be worth that sort of money??? 😱😱😱😱

I can! He's a smart boy who's nicely put together, a very in demand colour and size, and he looks like he's a useful sort to boot. His manners on the ground are no worse than those of many big young horses and sound like they're most likely fixable. Get him to a point where he's a bit less bolshy and riding away nicely and you'll find that he's worth more than you imagine.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can't see how he'd be worth that sort of money??? 😱😱😱😱

Ihatework valued my horse for me last year. I took her figure, knocked off £1500 to allow for a dependency on vitamin E, a history of locking stifles, it being the most difficult time of year to sell, and because I wanted a quick sale, and got it without a quibble after two weeks of advertising. I think she knows what she's talking about, re horse values.

Riding quietly, with his colour and size, behaving mostly politely, in a year's time rising four, £5-6k I agree with IHW. I want him!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Crikey.
While I'm willing to put alot of time, money and effort into him, I'm not really sure I'd want to keep him a year. I would get far too attached :(
I was really hoping to spent the next couple of months working on his manners etc and then get him lightly backed and sold as a suitable project for someone.?? Or am I being unrealistic??

ycbm

Visit site
Crikey.
While I'm willing to put alot of time, money and effort into him, I'm not really sure I'd want to keep him a year. I would get far too attached :(
I was really hoping to spent the next couple of months working on his manners etc and then get him lightly backed and sold as a suitable project for someone.?? Or am I being unrealistic??

We haven't seen him, but if your friend who has thinks that's achievable it sounds perfectly sensible to me. At three, ridden and basic manners, my estimate would be £3500-4,500, depending on how he matures to look at.

Don't underestimate what a desirable colour he is! And a perfect size to sell as well, slap bang in the most popular range

Good luck!

only_me

Visit site
Crikey.

If you got him backed soon and riding nicely, you could get a semi-pro/good amateur to ride him for free (some do, worth asking) to teach basics and if he’s 4 this year (can’t remember if 3 or 4 this year) a couple of competitions end of summer and you’ll sell him in autumn easily I’d expect.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
He's only 3 this year unfortunately (June officially I think). Will it be ok to back him at that age? In an ideal world I would be sending him to be backed and a bit of extra work on his manners etc as sales livery.
He might be a bit of a bugger, but he's a lovable rogue and I need to remain detached!!!

ihatework

Visit site
You know what, if you can get the manners sorted you may be able to achieve the middle part of YCBM’s estimate without backing. From the vid he looks as if he moves nicely, and if he’s genuinely put together someone will pay it.

I think I’d be inclined to agree.
If you want him turned around in 2 months I don’t think I’d invest in pro backing. Or at least I’d try first to sell him unbacked.

He is looking sharp and IMO you would need to budget 1500-2000 in good pro fees to do it right. I’m not sure you could guarantee sufficient return

Palindrome

Visit site
My friends have a young QH and he's the most challenging horse ever known! He will attack you and challenge you constantly. They're incredibly experienced people with a life time of working with horses and they are pretty much calling it a day with him.

Horses are still individuals. My mum's PRE is a dope on a rope, he could be ridden by any beginner despite being a stallion until 8 years old. Reading stuff about PREs online you would think they are high energy tricky horses (which probably lots of them are). Having lived in the US for a bit and in the UK for a bit longer and seen a variety of horse breeds I would say quarter horses are amongst the easiest horses, but not all of them of course.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I think I’d be inclined to agree.
If you want him turned around in 2 months I don’t think I’d invest in pro backing. Or at least I’d try first to sell him unbacked.

He is looking sharp and IMO you would need to budget 1500-2000 in good pro fees to do it right. I’m not sure you could guarantee sufficient return

No, sorry, I didn't mean he had to go that quickly!! I just mean I'd rather sell him this year, backed or not.
This has nothing to do with making money other than getting enough to buy myself another horse.

ycbm

Visit site
He's only 3 this year unfortunately (June officially I think). Will it be ok to back him at that age? In an ideal world I would be sending him to be backed and a bit of extra work on his manners etc as sales livery.
He might be a bit of a bugger, but he's a lovable rogue and I need to remain detached!!!

He's a big bolshy boy. If he was mine he'd definitely be sat on at three and ridden at least walk & trot, canter if he is balanced enough.

I wouldn't rule out asking breaker-dealers for a swap before he was backed though. They'll know they'll make more than a bob or two out of him.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I wouldn't rule out asking breaker-dealers for a swap before he was backed though. They'll know they'll make more than a bob or two out of him.

I wouldn't do this personally for two reasons
1) I'd like to know exactly where he's going
2) I need to take some time and care over finding my next horse so don't want to be restricted to what a dealer might have.