You just know when you've been hacking for too long by yourself......

pennyturner

Visit site
I think you're all sane enough so long as you're still speaking/singing in 'human'. I have a friend who has lived alone in the woods for many years, who chats endlessly to his chickens in...'chicken'!

Brightbay

Visit site
I think you're all sane enough so long as you're still speaking/singing in 'human'. I have a friend who has lived alone in the woods for many years, who chats endlessly to his chickens in...'chicken'!

:eek: I do normally have conversations with the horse in English, but I have to admit when he addresses me, I talk back in horse :eek: So every morning, when I pull up at the field and hear "wheeeeeeehehehehe", I always reply "wheeeehehehehehe" back. And if the horse says "huhuhuhuhuh", I do sometimes say "huhuhuhuhuh" back to him.

Better sign off now, I think that's the men in white coats coming for me...

khalswitz

Visit site
:eek: I do normally have conversations with the horse in English, but I have to admit when he addresses me, I talk back in horse :eek: So every morning, when I pull up at the field and hear "wheeeeeeehehehehe", I always reply "wheeeehehehehehe" back. And if the horse says "huhuhuhuhuh", I do sometimes say "huhuhuhuhuh" back to him.

Better sign off now, I think that's the men in white coats coming for me...

I do this!!! Although I will admit I often initiate it, and then Geoff will return it to me...

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
......When you ask your horses opinion everytime you pick up a pace :/

After 6 years, I have managed to ride out with my land owner, but I doubt she'll want to bother again after I kept asking Dizzy if he was okay to trot and canter lol

* cringe *

Oh good lord... I had never even noticed I did this until you mentioned it...

I'm mad!!!!!!!!

:eek:

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's a problem the madness but only in our Interactions with others , pick your friends and it's fine .

bumper

Visit site
Do it all the time.
"Oh look some flappy black plastic...now Mr P don't you go silly on me, we've done flappy black plastic before, so, thaaaat's right, good boy"
"Ooh look brown cows. Little ones too...look this one's come to say hello, how nice of him"

Those were just two of the things I was wittering to him about whilst out on our first hack with a friend on Saturday :D

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I do all my choir practice on solo hacks. Trouble is, my fave one is a round (like Londons burning) and so poor Liesel just gets 129 verses of a lullaby sung in French over and over again.....

noblesteed

Visit site
I began chatting to my horse when hacking alone as a way of overcoming confidence issues. It's now the norm to me... However it's changed a bit since I had my son, now I refer to myself in the third person as 'Mummy' - with both son and horse!

Landcruiser

Visit site
I bore my two to tears, I never shut up! Trouble is, I talk to my car too, and to the kettle, or indeed any inanimate object with which I'm currently interacting.

I know what the most telling thing is though. Clearing a nostril by blowing down it. I do this to save taking gloves off and rooting for a tissue...just pin one nostril and snort out the other. It's an art to clear your horse's sides/saddle. I haven't...yet...done this in company or in public view...but it's only a matter of time:eek:

lhotse

Visit site
I was busy telling my mare that the little lambykin in the field was bleating because it had lost it's mummy, then explaining to the little lambykin that it's mummy was on the other side of the field, accompanied by some human bleating sounds. I think at this point, even my horse thought I was mad!!

madmav

Visit site
From hacking alone, horse knows every single awful thing that has happened over the past few years. He is my therapist - bit rubbish at coming up with solutions, but isn't that what very expensive therapists do, just listen and wait for you to come up with the solution for yourself? He is a saint.
My dog, I'm almost horrified to say, seems to understand really quite good English, because I talk to him far too much. Sad old bint, I fear.

Ebenezer_Scrooge

Visit site
when you talk to your horse about uni work & practise your oral exams on him....Have to say it really helped & I passed them all with fab grades :eek::D Since qualifying he now has to put up with my work ramblings....oh & I ask him where do you want to go when I cannot decide.....:eek::eek::D:D

stargirl88

Visit site
Really? I've always done this, I actually presumed it was normal until I read this thread! I'm ALWAYS blabbering away to my poor horse.

"you fancy a T-R-O-T? Yeah? okay TROT ON!" "You are being just SO GOOD! Shall we risk a canter? Are you going to be an arse?"

Oh heck yes, I do this too. When no one's around.

Best moment of my mornings are when I'm driving past the field and yell "WELL HELLO THERE PONY" and I get a big booming neigh back :D :D

[100323]

Visit site
I have just started taking my young pony out on mini hacks and talk to him most of the time. I hope it keeps his attention on me and not on the potential scary things we come across.

Mo-Jo

Visit site

Oh god my sister and I do this! There is a range of different squarky noises that mean things like "you're in my way!" or "that's interesting!" or just general confusion. It started off as an attempt to communicate with stupid-as-arse chickens but it's really getting out of hand! I accidentally did an indignant chicken noise in response to something at work the other day and then wanted to go and hide under my desk.

Also I do a lot of Mrs Doyle impressions when going past scary objects...

cambrica

Visit site
Well I talk mine and he answers back (in my head).
Total madness as I looked up and learnt all the words to Elvis Presley's 'Devil in Disguise' as I thought he was bored just hearing the chorus and not getting past the 'oh yes you are, oh yes you are'!

Burmilla

Visit site
Mr Horse and I have lovely conversations about the state of people's gardens ("those tulips are hideous - striped ones are soo common, don't you think . . ?) the clothes worn by the locals/not locals in the country park ("no wonder the dog won't come back - would you want to own up to answer to someone wearing THAT . . ..) etc. yes, we are raging snobs, but no one knows cos we are all smiles and waves on the outside . . I can speak reasonable Oriental cat, passable Whippet and basic hen. Not too good with human. Can't think why . . .;)

bluewhippet

Visit site
Mr Horse and I have lovely conversations about the state of people's gardens ("those tulips are hideous - striped ones are soo common, don't you think . . ?) the clothes worn by the locals/not locals in the country park ("no wonder the dog won't come back - would you want to own up to answer to someone wearing THAT . . ..) etc. yes, we are raging snobs, but no one knows cos we are all smiles and waves on the outside . . I can speak reasonable Oriental cat, passable Whippet and basic hen. Not too good with human. Can't think why . . .;)

I have exactly those conversations with my horse and I have an Italian Greyhound (formerly whippet owner) and 2 Tonkinese cats! You don't have an Arab horse do you?

SKY

Visit site
Some of my best conversations are with my horses lolololololol. We all do it abit shows we care about them.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
It's when you are coming up to the big finish on a Disney number you've been singing while in the middle of nowhere and a cyclist appears behind you looking highly amused, nods at the tone deaf loony and pedals off as fast as possible!

Or is that just me?

Ahhh, OK, so I'm "normal" then. So relieved :)

Most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to me out solo hacking is a few years ago when I was riding my old boy - and telling him all about my double-crossing, *****e-@rsed, da-de-da bloke, and generally what I thought of said bloke in some quite flowery language. I didn't quite realise that I was passing the vicarage, and hadn't quite realised until I'd gone past that the Dear Vicar was out in the garden tending his roses....... bless him (blushes).