You were all wrong!

Auslander

Visit site
The new boy is very dull. He hasn't escaped, bitten anyone, broken anything, escaped, caused trouble, escaped - all the stuff that Shitlands are supposed to do, he just hasn't.

He's not cute at all

10624955_10154014334930730_8111572246636942774_n.jpg

934101_10154007475495730_3376842767101502548_n.jpg

10313813_10154011658875730_5651182446057683024_n.jpg

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've had mine 3 yrs, he's only ever bitten me by mistake, when taking a Carrot

He's never escaped

But he's not boring. He 31 inches but has the biggest personality ever. I'd never be without a mini now :)

Equi

Visit site
I have only ever had one break out and it was my smallest one that literally walked under a fence not knowing it was there. With correct fencing, they are fine. He is very cute!

Auslander

Visit site
We built him a windbreak today - it may yet turn into a proper little mini shelter!
Jim (who is well over 17hh) has discovered that if he stands next to it with his head down, it's quite a useful WB shelter too!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I have had a request for livery for a Shitland. He would have to go in with a mixed herd of Highlands. I am afraid he might get trodden on...or worse. What's more, he is still entire. A non-starter? (Sorry to hijack the thread!).

Visit site
I had to put Rains back in his field AGAIN today. 6th time in a fortnight - through 2 electric fences and a sheep wire fence. And no, there is not a single mark on the little git!

Give it time!

Wheels

Visit site
I have had a request for livery for a Shitland. He would have to go in with a mixed herd of Highlands. I am afraid he might get trodden on...or worse. What's more, he is still entire. A non-starter? (Sorry to hijack the thread!).

He would absolutely hold his own. I had a mini Shetland in with 2 ex racers and a Spanish colt and he absolutely ran rings round the big boys. They were all tortured but they totally adored him :)

Visit site

He will be fine with the highlands if they are all geldings or entires. If there is even a qhiff of a mare about then you will be in for more trouble than it is worth. I wouldn't worry about him getting squished - they are escape artists after all! He will get out a melee and be standing watching 15ft away before the highlands have even noticed he has gone.

claireandnadia

Visit site
Ive got a shetland and he's great. Yes he nips, yes he has no respect for electric fencing but he's a great little guy with lots of personality and loved by everyone who meets him and has converted quite a few shetland haters.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Chapter one of Nevs book, 'Living the dream, how to get the five star service you deserve' is entitled,
'Lulling the staff into a false sense of security' and covers how good behaviour for between 4-6 weeks after arrival will ensure that when reverting back to standard Shetland behaviour the staff will automatically assume the fault is theirs and compensate accordingly.

They all play us like banjos, there is no way to escape once they bat those long eyelashes and fluffle those little nostrils.......

Auslander

Visit site
He's got us all wrapped round his little finger! Heisn't rugged, because he has a coat like a bear, and is always warm, but he definitely approves of his new windbreak!

12509785_10154017991180730_8436779882886629284_n.jpg

Makemineacob

Visit site
He's lovely. They're not all badly behaved, just treat them as a horse (obviously snuggles and kisses can be included as they are so cute!). Beware though they are addictive!! I had one and now have three! All are fabulously well behaved and even lift their feet for the farrier. It opens a whole new shopping experience too, mine have an extensive collection of rugs (but hardly use them unless it gets really really bad weather) and I even have a tiny lunge cavasson, roller and the tiniest pair of brushing boots you've ever seen (not that they need them but I couldn't resist as they are the tiniest things you've ever seen! If you get the shopping bug Ruggles are fabulous for wee rugs and Dinky Rugs for the lunging stuff etc. lol

catembi

Visit site
Ahhhh, cute! I've got one too with my ex-racer. It's the funniest thing when Trev is having a hoolie round the field and little Florence is galloping and bucking along behind trying to keep up!

T x

cronkmooar

Visit site
Its winter. You are bringing him food. He is not stupid.

Just wait until summer when you have to restrict food, whole different story then :)

Enjoy it whilst it lasts :) :)

Auslander

Visit site
Its winter. You are bringing him food. He is not stupid.

Just wait until summer when you have to restrict food, whole different story then :)

Enjoy it whilst it lasts :) :)

I am prepared!

Mind you - the paddock he will be in in the summer is post and rail, with 4 rails, and stock fencing behind!