Young Horse above my ability - WWYD?

Daytona

Visit site
Just to add that on these sort of threads there's always a lot of talk about "don't worry the horse doesn't know his potential" and "you can learn together" and "its a journey" etc which is true but what about the potential and learning of the rider? A non professional, one/two horse owner can either spend years "on a journey" with a less than suitable horse or they can buy a safer more experienced horse which they, as a rider, can fulfil their potential. There's no shame in wanting to be successful and you don't have to go through the blood, sweat and tears of a young horse. It fine for experienced producers because while they're producing a youngster they'll usually have an older horse which they can compete at a higher level and keep their eye in.

If you consider that it could take 3+ years to bring a 3/4 yr old to BS newcomers or BE novice. The same rider could be confidently competing at that level in 12 months with the right horse and its that sort of experience that would put you in a far better position to produce a young horse next time round. I'm not saying its impossible but if its supposed to be a hobby then its ok to enjoy it and take an easier route!

Yeah this is very true too, my original reason for picking a youngster was every older horse I had, and I've had plenty have always had so many issues, man made issues, my thought was I wanted a horse with a clean slate, no reason to be a pain in the bum through someone else's mistakes, maybe I'd just been so unlucky with previous horses, but they were all a nightmare for one reason or another, but then this is why I'd not buy private either only from a dealer.

Having been through my experience with a youngster I'd not do it again, buy a talented youngster , I do believe they should be left to professional riders not amatures and I'd put anyone who like me it's just a hobby off buying one, but for someone who has done it, then with blood sweat and tears you might just might get through it,

Now if looking for a horse I'd be very selective and try to find a un spoilt 6/7 year old horse.

Though had I not done what I'd done , I'd prob not be the rider I'm turning in to, I'd not of got schoolmaster lessons, I'd not focus on me rather than the horse, I'd just be getting carried round a set of show jumps by the horse. So for me the benefit was also the work and effort I've put into myself as a rider which I would not done had I not met these problems I've encountered in the last 18 months.

BUT. Saying all that if I could turn the clock back, I'd nae of bought a 4 year old.

You live you learn....!!!!

imr

Visit site
He is young, and I think turning him away til he is 4 is no bad idea. However, even if you ride something else in the meantime, that does not, of itself, solve the problem longer term. However, there is a market for well bred 4yo who have been backed and I would not have thought you would struggle to get him a good home if you do decide to sell.

I think that the line between a horse that is too much for someone and is just that little bit more and more challenging but which stretches you and you can cope with is a very fine line, and probably more of a grey area than a line. A horse which is too much for you in a yard where you have limited access to any help might be fine for you on a yard where a pro can ride him for you a couple of times a week and you can have lots of access to training. So, I think you have to be completely honest with yourself about what sort of help you have access to and can afford, as part of making a decision. I do agree with Clear Light about continuity - better to have someone ride 3 times a week and train with then rather than sending away.

As others have said, its hard to tell on a forum, really only you with a trainer who knows you and the horse can decide. You also do not have to make a decision now. You can leave it until the horse comes back into work next year and a few months have passed.

I would also say that it is also not unusual to find yourself going through a difficult patch with a young horse, but these difficult patches often don't last. But FWIW I think they are often worse at 5-6 teenager stage when they get bigger and stronger and start to test boundaries. You do have to think about whether you want to go through the difficult stages (or pay a pro to do so) or not.

I think you would have to be very fortunate to find a suitable rider as a sharer or loaner given he is so young. What you do not want to do is share him with someone who lets him take the pi** and makes it all worse. So, I honestly would not try this route.

Its meant to be fun - so a patch when it isn't fun may be fine - but if its never fun, then its probably not the right horse.

FWIW my mare was a bit much for me at one stage - I bought her as a 5yo and from about 5 1/2 through to 6 1/2 she was pretty hideous regularly - we had episodes of planting, rearing, napping, refusing to load, etc etc. We are finally through those and now I have a pretty nice horse which is going to be a very nice horse, albeit not a particularly easy one.

Good luck x

Bantry

Visit site
Though had I not done what I'd done , I'd prob not be the rider I'm turning in to, I'd not of got schoolmaster lessons, I'd not focus on me rather than the horse, I'd just be getting carried round a set of show jumps by the horse. So for me the benefit was also the work and effort I've put into myself as a rider which I would not done had I not met these problems I've encountered in the last 18 months.

BUT. Saying all that if I could turn the clock back, I'd nae of bought a 4 year old.

You live you learn....!!!!

I agree with most of what you said but disagree with what I've quoted above. I was going to add to my original post that there are 2 types of schoolmasters (and I've had both!). One that will jump regardless of what the jockey does which gives a rider great confidence but can as you said just carry the rider around. The other sort will only jump when when ridden correctly eg. they'll stop if dropped in front of the fence or stop if they catch you without your leg on - these horses really teach a rider how to do it properly. Try sitting on one and expect to be carried around and you probably won't get over the first fence even if its only 90cm! Sorry OP we're going off on a tangent here

Kelpie

Visit site
Agree with everyone who is saying keep him turned away for now.

In the meantime, you have maybe a year to upskill, Right?

Can you find a local breaking yard to help at at weekends? Or pick some good horsemen/ women to do a residential corse with? Or go audit lots if horsemanship clinics?

Doing youngsters requires at lot of timing and feel and judgement, and you know the saying about how you get good judgement? - by first making bad judgements! However if you can learn as much as poss in the next year by watching other people's mistakes, so much the better....

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
Keep on going :)

I have been in exactly the same situation, got a stunning KWPN who is sharp as hell! I was adivsed by other people that i should get rid, but i liked him too much - so i got a new instructor and an air jacket and stuck it out! And now he's just turned 7 and he's a dream, still has his moments but is really turning into a superstar and my confidence is back too :) only you can make the decision, you have to make the right choice between your head and your heart :)

Dukey

Visit site
I agree with most of what you said but disagree with what I've quoted above. I was going to add to my original post that there are 2 types of schoolmasters (and I've had both!). One that will jump regardless of what the jockey does which gives a rider great confidence but can as you said just carry the rider around. The other sort will only jump when when ridden correctly eg. they'll stop if dropped in front of the fence or stop if they catch you without your leg on - these horses really teach a rider how to do it properly. Try sitting on one and expect to be carried around and you probably won't get over the first fence even if its only 90cm! Sorry OP we're going off on a tangent here

I have to agree with this. My older boy took me around and let me make mistakes. My 6yo, if not ridden correctly will just stop and its a HUGE learning curve for me... Hence Ilike I said I worry that without my silly mistakes he could do a lot better. I get loads of professional advice, which really helps.

I do admit like others have said sometimes there is a clash between horse and rider and in these cases it's better to sell. I would be guided by a knowledgable person who knew my abilities and my horse's.

rachyblue

Visit site
Thankfully we're not intending to be doing such risky activities as jumping or eventing.

Just to clarify, in the recent past he wouldn't have bothered me, I've ridden the sharp, the spooky and the downright naughty quite happily in the past, I've just been out of action for a while which has dented my confidence.

I've also benefitted from that special kind of schoolmaster that only does what you ask when you ask for it properly, I lost him 5 years ago, and have only had brief loans or ridden other people's horses in the meantime, the last regular one was 3 years ago. Maybe my friend's description of having lost my mojo is the best description of my situation. I just need some regular riding again and I'll be fine I'm sure.

Thank you for all the useful advice. It has given me lots to think about.