Younger generation and Hunting

LKWilliams

Visit site
The question is, what do the young people of society today think about hunting as they are the ones which will be carrying the tradition on as they are the next generation.
Is there a decline in the amount of youngsters out hunting?

I started hunting through Pony Club many years ago.

If pony clubs stop encouraging hunting will there be a reduction in young people out hunting?

Interested to hear everyones thoughts

Follysmum

Visit site
Definitely a decline around us. My farrier was only saying other day that his thoughts were hunting is a dying breed. No younger ones really coming through. Mainly financial, hunting costs are realistically a monthly rental cost of a flat/house

spacefaer

Visit site
Amongst the packs we hunt with, there has been a noticeable increase in the number of children coming out.
There are children's meets and still strong ties with the Pony Club.
We also have a Going Wild summer camp run by the hunt where the children learn about nature, hounds, fishing, falconry etc.
There's also a very decent reduced range of subs for children /teenagers/young adults.

LKWilliams

Visit site
Must also mention I am one of the younger ones being 20 myself! I am very lucky to have a partner who owns land which they hunt over so I have little cost to go out. But am very interested in this. I would like to encourage younger riders to come out as hunting is a vital part of my life.

Spacefaer that camp sounds brilliant! More hunts should do this!

LKWilliams

Visit site
It was £6 for the full season (Pony Club rates) for me back the 70s :D. Lots of children out then.

ETA We wore a small red rectangular badge which was sewn on the lapel of our hunt jackets to show that we had paid up.

I wish it was still this price! Its only £20 for under 18 PC members and £30 for young people with the pack I used to hunt with.

I completely understand that hunts need this money to keep going so I'm not worried about that.

I just wish we could find a way in encouraging young people to hunt and keep the tradition going.

skint1

Visit site
I seem to know a lot of girls in their 20s who hunt, they mostly do drag hunting. I think in some ways that has actually revitalised the sport as I am not sure how many of them would actually go fox hunting. That said, the girls I know who do are usually riding horses for others (like my daughter used to) or are not short of money to pursue it.

Follysmum

Visit site
They need to reduce costs for adults imo then they can take their children with them like it used to be. They say it’s for all horse owners but realistically it’s for the higher earners.

Who can afford £70/£120 a days hunting ? I know I couldn’t

LKWilliams

Visit site
With the pack that I hunt with adults hunt at a reduced rate when they are taking their children; but are only allowed out for two hours.
But this is better than having to pay full cap for a full day when a cold, wet child might want to head home after two hours.

Follysmum

Visit site
Also north Cambs sabs have been out for nearly every meet so far around us and making it unsafe especially for children. This doesn’t help the situation

LKWilliams

Visit site
Also north Cambs sabs have been out for nearly every meet so far around us and making it unsafe especially for children. This doesn’t help the situation

Thats such a shame! I wish that people who know nothing about the countryside stayed in the towns and cities. Life would be simple

itsokboah

Visit site
I am 24 and have never hunted although now I have my own horse that I know has hunted before it is on my mind.
The main things that put me off are:
I don't know anyone else that hunts.
I don't know what the dress code is - or if I will be looked down at if I don't have all the fancy gear..
I don't know if I am a good enough rider to keep up, or what level is required..
I suppose the whole thought just fills me with anxiety!

LKWilliams

Visit site
Honestly go out hunting!
I had never hunted and I have met my best friend through hunting.
Everyone will be welcoming
I have only just invested in a hunt coat and hunt boots this year. A plain black or blue jacket and beige jods always do. Black boots or boots and chaps.
Tweed is also fine!
If you can walk trot and canter happily and controlled you'll be fine! You dont have to jump anything; there is usually always a way around, if you do have to jump something its usually a small rail.

Where are you based? contact your nearest pack and they should help you.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I take my 8 year old daughter out a fair bit with 2 different packs in Dorset. I have actually stopped hunting with my home pack because the cost was prohibitive to take a child on a day to day basis and because the other 2 packs charge £30 for a child on a lead rein for a whole day. There are quite a few little people who go hunting with us which is great fun.

However, I was watching a Sab video last night on Facebook which showed hounds and hunt staff on the main road on a very dark, wet day near a blind corner on a 60mph stretch. This isn't acceptable behaviour. People are getting pissed off with the hunts "we can go where we like" attitude. And because of social media, people who previously weren't bothered about hunting as they didn't really know what happened see more and more things that upset them and kick up a fuss. I can't see hunting continuing for many more years if I'm completely honest. Its totally outdated and the masses find it unacceptable. Drag hunting is great fun but the purists won't want to go hell for leather over massive hedges for an afternoon a week.

Follysmum

Visit site
Totally agree social media is not doing a good job for support. Especially when you have a huntsman photographed smacking a sab across the head then blooded sab splattered across Facebook. Said huntsman now sacked.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Totally agree social media is not doing a good job for support. Especially when you have a huntsman photographed smacking a sab across the head then blooded sab splattered across Facebook. Said huntsman now sacked.
Who was that?? I can imagine they were probably pushed to the point of no return but even so.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thats such a shame! I wish that people who know nothing about the countryside stayed in the towns and cities. Life would be simple

🤣

If you'd like to develop a more balanced view some time, LK, I can introduce you to some country people, including farmers, who are against hunting fox with hounds.

LKWilliams

Visit site
🤣

If you'd like to develop a more balanced view some time, LK, I can introduce you to some country people, including farmers, who are against hunting fox with hounds.

I appreciate that, and We have recently lost some country as a farmer sold up and the new buyer does not support hunting; and thats completely fair he owns the land and doesnt agree with it we accept that. But I dont know any rural people that would dress up in black and balaclavas to go and harass people which are hunting.

I wasnt making the point that only people in towns and cities disagree with it. More the point that they are the ones who cause the trouble

palo1

Visit site
We have a good number of children/younger riders hunting in this area - sometimes through the pony club but often through friends/family and school contacts. 1 of our local school teachers hunts as do vets/riding instructors etc. We don't have any particular smart hunts nearby and everyone is welcomed from top hat and tails (on high days) to those who are always out in full waterproofs and wellies!! It is still very much a community thing here so it is completely normal to have 4 or 5 mad keen children and a contingent of teenagers out. Our field is not huge so younger members are hugely welcome, known well and encouraged. Thank goodness we are informal, not hugely smart and not expensive!!

Shay

Visit site
We have a decent amount of young followers. Our links with our local PCs are quite strong (except one where the DC is anti). We have the kids come to the kennels at puppy time, send hounds and masters to PC camps etc. We run the PC hunting certificate, run gymkhanas in the summer. All sorts. We have several dedicated children's meets which include a specific lead rein field master as we have a few lead from foot who clearly can't keep up with a mounted field. We also offer a fallen stock service and a knackerman which of course no one - and particularly not a child - wants to think about. But it is all about building links and providing a service to our communities. Our cap prices also stage all the way up to 30 so we don't loose them when they turn 21 or 25!

The Sabs don't help - ours will sometimes target the children specifically for abuse which is really sad. I suppose they are hoping to upset them or scare them away. We talk to the kids beforehand and are careful to keep them well within a group of steady subscribers if it looks to be one of those days.

Shay

Visit site
Exactly, Fox hunting is illegal. Think everyone knows it's still going on but really feel its days are numbered.

Hunting a wild mammal with more than two dogs is illegal. Trail hunting, drag hunting and blood hounding are not. Fox control is, sadly for the species, now achieved by shooting, trapping and poisioning.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Hunting a wild mammal with more than two dogs is illegal. Trail hunting, drag hunting and blood hounding are not. Fox control is, sadly for the species, now achieved by shooting, trapping and poisioning.
Yes I know. My point is fox hunting as in proper fox hunting is still going.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
When talking about hunting, I agree that it is necessary to clarify which version is being referred to - be it trail, drag, bloodhound (legal) or fox (illegal, but we all know that it still goes on in some areas).

Re youngsters hunting locally:- they are not coming through, as it’s not something they want to be doing. The old guard are also dropping away, as they no longer want to do full days as they age, but are worried about getting hassled by antis if they bid goodnight early and make their own way to their parked transport. They leave the field in groups for their own safety.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Have you seen some hunts now have people in high viz playing loud music to cover the sound of hounds in cry? Also stopping hunt monitors from filming. Blocking hunt monitors from following and hassling them by blocking them in and staying with them so hunt staff can see where they are at all times.
I agree there are faults on both sides but surely if hunts are genuinely hunting within the law then they should have no problem with being watched. If they are laying a trail and trail hunting as they should be then there is no reason for all the violence.

palo1

Visit site
Have you seen some hunts now have people in high viz playing loud music to cover the sound of hounds in cry? Also stopping hunt monitors from filming. Blocking hunt monitors from following and hassling them by blocking them in and staying with them so hunt staff can see where they are at all times.
I agree there are faults on both sides but surely if hunts are genuinely hunting within the law then they should have no problem with being watched. If they are laying a trail and trail hunting as they should be then there is no reason for all the violence.

I have never seen or heard of this - either in our local or neighbouring packs Sandstone1. I've never even heard rumour of it tbh!! We barely see any antis/sabs from one year to the next - probably because they don't see what we are doing as a problem! Let's have a bit of balance here - our older subscribers are not fearful of going home, we have a good proportion of children and there is plenty of reason to think that young riders still want what hunting can offer them. We have several hugely keen youngsters who look like they will help to secure the future of our particular hunt. A great many experienced equestrian competitors still value the experience of hunting - Carl Hester has been out as well as far too many eventers, vets, showjumpers etc to mention! Even this week Horse and Hound (for what it is worth) has run an article about the value of hunting. It's not really going away or dying out!! Although times change, horsemen and women still owe an enormous amount to hunting in terms of skills and knowledge and it is a sport that requires great care of horses to keep them fit and sound through the worst and most difficult time of year, as well as developing courage and trust in a partnership. So many people recognise the value of that AND the benefit that can bring to our understanding of human/animal interactions.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I've no a
I have never seen or heard of this - either in our local or neighbouring packs Sandstone1. I've never even heard rumour of it tbh!! We barely see any antis/sabs from one year to the next - probably because they don't see what we are doing as a problem! Let's have a bit of balance here - our older subscribers are not fearful of going home, we have a good proportion of children and there is plenty of reason to think that young riders still want what hunting can offer them. We have several hugely keen youngsters who look like they will help to secure the future of our particular hunt. A great many experienced equestrian competitors still value the experience of hunting - Carl Hester has been out as well as far too many eventers, vets, showjumpers etc to mention! Even this week Horse and Hound (for what it is worth) has run an article about the value of hunting. It's not really going away or dying out!! Although times change, horsemen and women still owe an enormous amount to hunting in terms of skills and knowledge and it is a sport that requires great care of horses to keep them fit and sound through the worst and most difficult time of year, as well as developing courage and trust in a partnership. So many people recognise the value of that AND the benefit that can bring to our understanding of human/animal interactions.
I have no arguments with what you are saying 're the actual sport of hunting as in training horses for other sports and that eventers use it as schooling etc.
My argument is that foxhunting is going on. The law is being broken and that's wrong.
As for the high viz people I saw them myself last week when passing my local hunt and was curious as I thought that they were sabs. I looked it up and found out what they were doing. There were a lot of them too in pink high viz.
pity they don't teach the rest of the field to wear it!!!
As for people being scared to ride back to their boxes on there own I've no idea if that's correct as it wasn't me that said it.