Younger generation and Hunting

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
As for people being scared to ride back to their boxes on there own I've no idea if that's correct as it wasn't me that said it.
It was me who reported that. I have no idea how widespread the issue is, but it is an issue here in my locality. I have that on good authority from an in hunt source.

Having witnessed recently at first hand the antis who follow that pack, I wouldn’t want to come across them as a lone hunter, either.

Visit site
I'm 'of the younger generation' still I think! I'm 29 and hunted all through my late teens and early 20s up until I was 27 when my horse had to slow down and stop hunting due to an injury. I was always one of the younger ones. I now have anoher horse I would be happy to get back into hunting on but it's so expensive and with just moving out of home I need to watch my pennies. I may get a day or two before the season is over but it's a shame as I'd be out a lot more and offering a lot more support if the prices were more user friendly.

Fred66

Visit site
There are varying types of Hunt monitors/sabs out there. Some largely go out to monitor and are relatively non threatening.
Others go out to threaten and intimidate and are not bothered about breaking the law to do it, they hide behind balaclavas and are both physically and verbally threatening.
Many of this type have no genuine interest in animal welfare and I don’t believe they are bothered whether the hunt is legally trail hunting or not.
The videos you see posted by the monitors describing supposed illegal activity are accompanied by their running commentary (which if the ones that follow our hunt are anything to go by) are largely fictitious.
There was an incident reported on social media a few weeks ago about a female monitor having her tyre “slashed” by hunt followers and an accompanying picture. Turns out the picture was two foot followers changing the woman’s wheel for when she’d had a puncture.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
There was an incident reported on social media a few weeks ago about a female monitor having her tyre “slashed” by hunt followers and an accompanying picture. Turns out the picture was two foot followers changing the woman’s wheel for when she’d had a puncture.
The monitors’ report that I saw thanked the hunt supporters and followers who helped the female monitor change her tyre. Or was there another similar incident elsewhere?

Lies and mistruths are being fed out by both sides of the hunting divide, so it can be difficult to work out who is telling it straighter than the other guy.

I can’t copy and paste the text, so this is a screen shot of the monitors FB page about the tyre slashing incident, in which they voice their thanks for the help received :-

9C21253C-36F9-4B6B-B308-7CD10BF5C025.jpeg

Fred66

Visit site
The monitors’ report that I saw thanked the hunt supporters and followers who helped the female monitor change her tyre. Or was there another similar incident elsewhere?

Lies and mistruths are being fed out by both sides of the hunting divide, so it can be difficult to work out who is telling it straighter than the other guy.

I can’t copy and paste the text, so this is a screen shot of the monitors FB page about the tyre slashing incident, in which they voice their thanks for the help received :-

View attachment 39819
The original initial posting on one of the hunt monitors facebooks literally said lone female monitor has tyre slashed by hunt supporters and showed a picture of two people by the car wheel.
This was later changed to state that the two in the photo were actually helping !!

spacefaer

Visit site
@spotty_pony it might be worth you contacting your Hon Sec as I know with various packs we hunt with, we get good deals on visitors caps (not the published rates )

I'm sure they'd rather have a proportion of the sub and have you out, than no money and no spotty_pony !

I'm 'of the younger generation' still I think! I'm 29 and hunted all through my late teens and early 20s up until I was 27 when my horse had to slow down and stop hunting due to an injury. I was always one of the younger ones. I now have anoher horse I would be happy to get back into hunting on but it's so expensive and with just moving out of home I need to watch my pennies. I may get a day or two before the season is over but it's a shame as I'd be out a lot more and offering a lot more support if the prices were more user friendly.

Indy

Visit site
Have you seen the video of a hunt supporter beating the body of a dead fox against a hunt sabs car?
Really abnormal behaviour. Think its North Yorkshire area. It's on facebook.
Really cant see any explanation for that.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10625818/hunt-supporter-batters-dead-fox-against-car/
That bunch of lunatics always cause chaos, after last year's Boxing Day meet they lost a lot of land owner support, trespassing over crops and terrorising livestock, causing disruption on the roads. The bloke in charge spent a lot of the following day on the phone apologizing to folk.

Sandstone1

Visit site

Indy

Visit site
whether you agree with hunting or are against it, this behaviour is appallingly by anyone's standards.
Really hope something is done about this individual.
I completely agree with you, this hunt has a really poor reputation locally. We had a run in with them last year along with lots of other landowners that's why a lot of people have revoked permission. As for the hunt trying to distance themselves - they all seemed to know each other when they were in the Shoulder.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The swinger of the dead fox should be pretty easy to identify. He made a pathetic attempt to cover his face, which was a fail, plus he has an identifiable tattoo on his right hand.

FF2EB4ED-D984-4DC1-8359-2C4FE30CEAE8.jpeg
I believe that the dead fox bounced back off the antis’ vehicle after he swung it and it then clouted him on the face :D.

ETA One of the pro hunt FB pages that I follow did initially mention this incident, and were at pains to point out that they did not condone it, but they seem to have dropped all reference to it now.

ETA2 While this thread diversion may be seen by some to be going off topic, I don’t think that it is. Would you want your child to follow a pack where incidents like this might happen? No.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
The swinger of the dead fox should be pretty easy to identify. He made a pathetic attempt to cover his face, which was a fail, plus he has an identifiable tattoo on his right hand.

View attachment 39895
I believe that the dead fox bounced back off the antis’ vehicle after he swung it and it then clouted him on the face :D.

ETA One of the pro hunt FB pages that I follow did initially mention this incident, and were at pains to point out that they did not condone it, but they seem to have dropped all reference to it now.

ETA2 While this thread diversion may be seen by some to be going off topic, I don’t think that it is. Would you want your child to follow a pack where incidents like this might happen? No.
I don't think it's off topic myself. It's very clearly related to hunting and the anger and violence shown in this clip shows the strength of feeling hunting brings out in people.

Visit site
@spotty_pony it might be worth you contacting your Hon Sec as I know with various packs we hunt with, we get good deals on visitors caps (not the published rates )

I'm sure they'd rather have a proportion of the sub and have you out, than no money and no spotty_pony !

You’d like to think so wouldn’t you? This pack seem a bit cliquey though and I’m not sure they will entertain the idea. I’m about to have my first day with them in a couple of weeks time so will see what they say after I’ve had two days. I work for their field master so hoping they can come to some sort of arrangement.

P.forpony

Visit site
I am 24 and have never hunted although now I have my own horse that I know has hunted before it is on my mind.
The main things that put me off are:
I don't know anyone else that hunts.
I don't know what the dress code is - or if I will be looked down at if I don't have all the fancy gear..
I don't know if I am a good enough rider to keep up, or what level is required..
I suppose the whole thought just fills me with anxiety!

Honestly go for it!
2 years ago I was in exactly the same position but I’d also just moved halfway across the country and knew no one.
Scared silly turning up to my first meet in ratcatcher on my 14hh pony who’d never hunted.
Best thing I ever did!
Not only do I have the best time out hunting but I’ve made amazing friends, the social scene is brilliant and my pony has improved in almost every way.