Youngstock livery in Glasgow

Caol Ila

Visit site
I've given up on Milngavie, and my best bet is currently in Kilmarnock. But before I commit to that, is there anyone closer to the West End than Kilmarnock who would provide a suitable yard for my two-year old filly to grow up a bit?

Zuzan

Visit site
Think I posted on your other thread .. there is a normal livery yard just outside Kilmcolm... not sure whether you have looked at it and discounted it but thought I'd mention it incase you hadn't seem my post on the other thread.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, I know it. Had an odd experience with it when I was searching for livery for my old horse a couple years ago.

Caol Ila

Visit site
It was subtely strange. I'd clearly explained my horse's issues (many), and YO seemed fine with it, but after I thought about it and said I would take a stable, YO said she had no space left. Then a day or two later, she was advertising space on FB. I totally get why a YO might not want to deal with my horse (there are times I haven't wanted to, either), but I would rather them be straight about it. Things like that put me off.

Xtra

Visit site
Not the handiest given where you are but Barnhill have a good field for living out. If they had space there is ivery services so you coud ask for a daily check/feed to hep you?

Caol Ila

Visit site
South side would be doable so long as I don't have to be there every day. One of the options I'm looking at is in Kilmarnock. South side is a lot better than that!

Caol Ila

Visit site
That sounds very promising. I would be wanting to spend some time with her doing basic groundwork. Then look into bringing her back to my current yard whenever she is ready. But she also needs time to just be a baby. What's your set-up like?

Quadro

Visit site
Full sized flood lit arena in process as we speak. Also putting a surface in an indoor shed, won't really be big enough for a proper arena but more a covered exercise arena for the winter. 225 acres all have water in them and well fenced, they have small bit of woodland so have shelter hay and haylage grown on site. Have room for horses to come in they need to for emergencies etc. Live out in groups with others unshod. Do have several foals due so other babies to play with

Caol Ila

Visit site
Oh, wow. That sounds amazing. And perfect. Obviously she won't be needing an arena for a while anyway. Gypsum lived way down in Larkhall for years, so I'm used to getting on and off the M74 from here.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Still hunting. Quadro's lovely-sounding yard won't be available until May.

Here are my current options:

1. Stay put and try to slowly integrate her into mare herd, but with zero backup or help from yard staff/management.

2. Move her to a yard that is very close. She'd be out 24/7, but YO has a reputation for being difficult. I probably would be on my own if there was any young horse drama.

3. Move her to a yard that's 30 miles away. They have experience with youngstock and don't mind helping me and handling her. She would get a few hours of turnout per day until the grass grows, and then she could be out all day or 24/7 or whatever I want.

4. Move her to a yard that's 20 miles away but she would be in a stable isolated from other horses when in.

Ultimately, I would want her to come back to current yard, as it's close and it's okay and the other liveries are great, but plainly, your horse must toe the line. I think the filly will be able to toe the line. But she might need some more maturity and life experience.

Unless something else comes up, that's what I have.

Caol Ila

Visit site
She would not get much handling at the stud, and I want some handling done. I would not be able to do much with her, as she'd be back running with the stallion. I'm not happy with that option.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
hmm. what kind of accommodation does 3 provide when not in the field? if it's not individual stables then I'd probably go for that because of the experienced people. or if they are anticipating proper TO soon (not sure what your grass growing season is like there)

Caol Ila

Visit site
The horse would be in a stable. Proper TO will probably be around the end of this month/middle of next month. She would also get cow-proofed as the farm has beef cattle.

Xtra

Visit site
If mares owners would help I would persevere with 1 if not then no way

OPtion 2 if thats what I think it is I wouldnt

So poss Option 3.

I think the suggestion I made earlier is closer but I have no idea on space and suitability etc

Caol Ila

Visit site
Option 3 is looking better.

Option 2 is probably what you think it is? Not sure. PM me.

Quite a few of my friends have left Barnhill. I was told their fields are too rich for laminitis prone horses, which PREs unfortunately are.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah, I followed that lead. It looks like a great set-up for the horses, but I took a fright at the 15 pages of rules, which are as detailed as saying you should treat your horse with herbs and essential oils before you try traditional veterinary medicine (except in emergencies where the horse is about to drop dead, obviously). I'm sure some people will love it, but that level of micromanagement freaks me out. It is good, however, that they send out the contract to potential liveries -- so if people go there, they won't be surprised.

abb123

Visit site
Are none of the other mare owners willing to help at all?

Where do you want to be long term? if it is at your current yard then I would stay put and do your best until she can get out. You said that they would be willing to help when summer fields open up and that is not that long away now. Yes, it isn't best for your baby but neither would another move. Would it be the best of a bad situation? Is she coping ok so far?

abb123

Visit site
To be honest if the mare owners are not willing to help and the staff are being very unhelpful I think I would just up-sticks and move both to yard 3..

Caol Ila

Visit site
In the long term, I want to stay put.

She is coping, but she is also getting very balky at being led back into her stable. So she's not that happy with it. That's why I'm not sure we can wait months.

The boss mare's owner is helping, but unless the yard provides a paddock, we can only put them out together in the arena when it's not in use, which is pretty rare.

Yard 3 is 30 miles away, and old mare has lots of reasons why she can't move.

TPO

Visit site

She is coping, but she is also getting very balky at being led back into her stable. So she's not that happy with it. That's why I'm not sure we can wait months.

The boss mare's owner is helping, but unless the yard provides a paddock, we can only put them out together in the arena when it's not in use, which is pretty rare.

Can you not be first and last on the yard to let filly and boss mare meet and spend controlled time together during the week and then try controlled turnout first thing at the weekend for an hour or so once they are familar with each other?

I think you wrote on previous thread that your yard always said there were no seperate paddocks available for use or introduction policy so there was always going to have to be *something* done by any owner to introduce any new horse safely.

Has this week been spent leading her near the mares and meeting them in a safe environment? Even handwalking them in the arena together would be a start in the familiarising process.

If it's not possible to spend that time on the filly then I'd go for option 5 that she goes back to the stud before moving to Quadros yard.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site

I would stay out and spend the next two weeks or so putting your girl in the school with the mares one by one. Let’s you get to know her as well. Running back and forwards between two yards gets wearing.

You have to also take into consideration that the YO may not be happy with your switching about. If you like the yard then I’d stay put.

Reactions: TPO