Your Favourtie Rare Breeds....

PolarSkye

Visit site
Clydies . . . they're fabulous . . . chunky, beautiful, resilient . . . just love 'em. If, God forbid, anything happened to Kal, my next horse would have to be a draught cross . . . or a full-up Clydesdale.

P

tristar

Visit site
that chestnut don horse reminds me of the trahkener stallion holmgrove soloman from some years ago, are traks and dons related or from the same region? i think he's very nice anyway

can never understand why there is no government support for the natives, any other country would be shouting from the rooftops if they had something as good, after having fells, welsh, exmoor, dartmoor, new forest and riding highlands etc i think they are wonderful, and their crosses well the virtues would take a whole thread of their own

Theresa_F

Visit site
IMG-20110619-00009.jpg

The Clydesdale - we are so lucky to have Farra and before that Cairo. I had to travel to Scotland from London to get her, and have not seen anything like her for sale since.

I also have a soft spot for the Exmoor and Dartmoor having had these as a kid.

mariabaverstock

New User
Visit site
With regards to Akhal-Teke, the perlino stallion whose picture was posted earlier died age five most probably because he was kicked in the head by a mare. He was shut in in a small coralle with her, bad management. He was also kept poorly for some months in 30-degrees freezing conditions without rug or shelter in Alberta, Canada, and barely survived. There are two Akhal-Teke in Yorkshire right now age 29 and 30 in good health. Akhal-Teke are very special horses, not to everyone's taste. They are high-maintenance, extremely intelligent, very sensitive and amazing riding companions in the right hands.

Last edited:

Ravenwood

Visit site
Anyone else old enough to remember the Observer's book of Horse breeds?

When I was a little kid - it was my bible :) I was always drawn to the Akele Teke - despite the one and only black and white picture!

Obviously for me Exmoors are an everyday thing and my own mare's field companion is a Cleveland bay plus I had a neighbour who had x bred one - both very stubborn and lazy.

But I do love a true Dartmoor - so few and far between now. My first pony was a true Dartmoor and the most stubborn, bad tempered thing you could come across but My God he taught me to ride! :rolleyes:

Tnavas

Visit site
Clydesdales

My girl Wishaw Serenity a purebred of the old fashioned working type
As a 2yr old and clipped out to show her off (progeny) at the 'Stallion Parade' as a Sport Horse
Mybeautifulgirl.jpg

Then at 7yrs old
WishawSerenityJan2010010-1.jpg

CBFan

Visit site
my own mare's field companion is a Cleveland bay plus I had a neighbour who had x bred one - both very stubborn and lazy.

Very miss-understood. CB's will only work as hard as they feel they have to! if they think snails pace is acceptable... snails pace it will be. Once they understand that it isn't, steam train it is!

Visit site
Fell ponies without a shadow of a doubt! I really love my lads attitude to life as a whole. He relishes everything thrown at him. He is out on loan at the moment and has been for the last year and a half but part of me always wants to get him back as he really is the most fantastic pony you could wish for.

After Fells it would be Dartmoors. I have a full up 12.2hh Shilstone Rocks darty who is quite simply stunning. Little sod though! It was this ponies father and grand father that got me into loving the breed - Shilstone Rocks Snowfox and Langfield Canth. 2 incredibly stunningly beautiful ponies that were well put together and weight carriers. My lad is a rode bay coloured version of his dad.

ThePony

Visit site
Very miss-understood. CB's will only work as hard as they feel they have to! if they think snails pace is acceptable... snails pace it will be. Once they understand that it isn't, steam train it is!

Agree! Not stubborn at all, simply rather too intelligent for alot of people (I include OH and I in that)! OH mare is actually very sensitive to the aids, but if you aren't going to bother asking properly and nicely then she isn't going to bother listening! Once you are tuned into each other then she is a light and responsive ride - and an absolute delight and powerhouse! To have that power basically on your little finger is a quite incredible feeling!

CBFan

Visit site
Agree! Not stubborn at all, simply rather too intelligent for alot of people (I include OH and I in that)! OH mare is actually very sensitive to the aids, but if you aren't going to bother asking properly and nicely then she isn't going to bother listening! Once you are tuned into each other then she is a light and responsive ride - and an absolute delight and powerhouse! To have that power basically on your little finger is a quite incredible feeling!

Yes, it's taking me a little getting used to (just in the process of backing and riding away) but I'm loving it! :)

ThePony

Visit site
Yes, it's taking me a little getting used to (just in the process of backing and riding away) but I'm loving it! :)

Def more of an 'art'! If I get on her after not riding her for a while, then she is so different to my mare (same height and build, similar schooling level), then I just can't ride one side of her!! We just need to get talking the same language and then we are off, but she is certainly less straightforward initially, though conversly you couldn't describe her as a tricky ride! Just to get the most out of her you need to find your road together!

Hope you have loads of fun. Backing and bringing on your own CB must be amazing, and really helpful to developing that essential CB bond!! Don't be shy putting up more pics, would love to follow (green with envy!) your progress together!

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
Definitely the SA Boerperd :). Compact little riding horses that excel at EVERYTHING

This one is Vlampies Tokkels:

311305_253651308018103_100001197080053_650807_1469041262_n.jpg

Another of Vlampies Tokkels:

377774_253651561351411_100001197080053_650815_2023910480_n.jpg

Rooigras Style:

27884_120265081328341_113250522029797_194507_7988262_n.jpg

Another of Rooigras Style:

27884_120274701327379_113250522029797_194544_5688857_n.jpg

Pandan Dekor:

31734_120510211303828_113250522029797_195936_4954086_n.jpg

Calela Olimpia:

31734_120509561303893_113250522029797_195934_3981843_n.jpg

Carel Hancke Sweep:

25191_1344631489463_1041514086_31025847_2083451_n.jpg

Paris1

Visit site
I'd very much like to buy a highland, and was wondering why they are notably more expensive than other native of the same age. Is it due to the factthey are bred not on hills?

muddygreymare

Visit site
I love Clydesdales and also Bashkir Curlies because I like how unique they are :) Would love to own a clyde, have always wanted to - might dwarf my 15.2hh IDxCob mare a tad though! :D

ridefast

Visit site
I don't know if they are rare but I have certainly never heard of anyone having one in england atleast - always like the look of rocky mountain horses

faerie666

Visit site
The yard owner where I learned to ride in Germany had a Budyonny gelding, who was one of the most fabulous horses I ever met.
Fast, intelligent, agile and footsure, looked like a TB, carried himself like an Andalusian, and jumped like a stag. He would have made an amazing hunter.:)

A whole bunch of us went for a long hack once, and when one of the girls fell off, my instructor chased the loose horse all the way back to the yard at a flat out gallop, straight through the woods, jumping ditches, fallen logs, dodging trees, and according to her, he never so much as hesitated or stumbled.:eek:

I rode him a few times, and I remember the sheer power and athleticism of him scared the bejesus out of me at the time, despite the fact that he never so much as swished his tail.:eek:

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
I'd very much like to buy a highland, and was wondering why they are notably more expensive than other native of the same age. Is it due to the factthey are bred not on hills?

Hadn't noticed them to be expensive. Some do get to run on the hills but the breeding lines are well preserved, no indiscriminate breeding. They are popular and versatile, which may be why they are priced higher? Once you have one you will get hooked!
9b7a8a5f.jpg

Last edited: