Your Favourtie Rare Breeds....

dominobrown

Visit site
... following on from some interesting posts, could you post pictures and information of your (or just your favourtie) Rare breed horses. The more unusual the better. I am pretty good with breeds but a few have been mentioned some I have never heard of, like the California Vaquero Horse.
Also if poss could you mention how many are left/ how endangered they are.

tristar

Visit site
tres sangres, three bloods, andalusian anglo-arab, for doma vaquera etc, i have two a stallion and his unbroken son,

to me they are a breed unto themselves, like the hispano-arab and can have varying degrees of the different permitted bloods, which i like so you can breed different types.

PingPongPony

Visit site
Perlino Akhal-Teke's, the most georgous horses ever!!! not sure how many there are but not that many, they unfortunately don't live very long, the horse on these pictures dies at the age of 5, natural death.

iwantit.jpg

1267930932_0611913436.jpg

Happy Hunter

Visit site
Clevelands! without a doubt for me. totall biased!

I think the rarer they are the better they behave! :p (sometimes!)
Best Horse I have ever had is my home bred Girlie - Boy has she got character!!!!

IMG_0044.jpg

Looking a bit skinny as a baby last year - Dont worry Doctor Green worked wonders!!!

dominobrown

Visit site
Its a shame Cleveland bays are so rare. They make very good competition horses crossed with TB's.
Akhal Teke- never knew that psrticular strain only live until 5!! No wonder they are rare. Most have a genetic disorder?
I love the golden Akhal Teke's, though they are like wiry TB's in build, very light etc, but not always terrible confo.

dominobrown

Visit site
Again a Cleveland every time :) suffilk punch a close second !!

What do you all think will be a modern breed that will be next ?

Well its all to do with supply and demand, depending on technology and the economy.

I think apart from some the large draft horses will not vastly increase in numbers as they are longer in demand as much for their orginal use.

Smaller natives and cobs (like Highland, Dales etc) may increase in numbers due to large amount of people wanting horses. They are ideal for beginners etc and to keep on budget, being well mannered small and hardy. However if the economy declines so much that horses as pets becomes rarer these could suffer.
At the moment I don't think sport horse types decreasing, though all warmbloods are becoming the 'same', i.e oldenburgs, hanovarians etc and less defined types, so maybe something should ( or is) being dome to preserve each breeds unique features.

I think if the worldwide economy decreases a lot, people will have less disposible income, so horses with no real purpose like minatures etc might become rarer and so to very speacilised horse breeds.

Well thats what i think!

tristar

Visit site
after the war there were only a few cleveland stallions, so they can be very inbred, i had one and i did find it was nervous, the one thing i really don't like, but their crosses have competed in most disciplines including int. dressage, i think in some ways they are unfashionable due to their similarity to the warmbloods who have superceeded them, such as the dutch horses who have their origines in driving horses as well.

i to like the akel teke, they often look like a fit tb, but are they as good!

the hispano-arab is officially listed as a rare breed by the spanish government and they have their own stud book