Your Favourtie Rare Breeds....

c2b

Visit site
Has to be Dales for me :D 4 years ago they were on the critical list now the numbers have increased slightly they have gone to the endangered list. My mare has done her bit for the breed having been a broodmare in her previous home.

nikCscott

Visit site
Perlino Akhal-Teke's, the most georgous horses ever!!! not sure how many there are but not that many, they unfortunately don't live very long, the horse on these pictures dies at the age of 5, natural death.

iwantit.jpg

1267930932_0611913436.jpg

OMG what a bizarre looking horse? To me it looks like an albino thestral from Harry Potter. I'm going to have to google these bad boys...

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Love Akhal-Tekes! I work selling riding holidays and we did have a destination in Turkmenistan where you can go and ride Akhal-Teke stallions for your holiday. Unfortunately they changed the visa requirements for the country and made it impossible to market to our clients, but we hope to offer that holiday again at some point.

As for my favourite rare breed, I'd love to have a Black Forest Horse from Germany!

SchwarwaelderMaximusHLGMarbach.jpg

black-forest-horse.jpg

525968-bigthumbnail.jpg

indiat

Visit site
I love all British pony breeds but I espeically love Highlands and I bought myself a youngster last year. He's cheeky and he knows how to throw his weight around but he's also very loving, affectionate, curious - all the good stuff! I would love to own a Fell, a Dales, a Fjord (not sure if they are rare) and now, after looking at HollyWoozle's post, I'd like a Black Forest horse as well!

I hope DominoBrown is right and the recession makes hardy native types come into their own again, especially Exmoors. To many people look down on you for owning these types of horses and yet they are ideal for families and hobby riders. I've very proud of my boy and I think he's going to make a stunning riding pony.

Enfys

Visit site
I am surprised at what breeds are classed as rare or do people think of them as rare because they are merely unusual in the UK as opposed to actually having a limited number of them?

Clydesdales?! We are falling over them here (although how true to the original type they are I am not sure, ours are very tall and very leggy)

Paso Finos, Rocky Mountains, Fox Trotters and all the other gaited types - not hard to find.

Deefa the cream drafts are Belgians, very popular clean legged draft horse here, frequently used to cross with QH's or Paints.

Last edited:

Rollin

Visit site
Cleveland's of course I have five pure breds and one part bred they are on RBST critical list, with only 32 foals last year and even less this year and that is worldwide.

Suffolk Punch also on the critical list

Shagya Arabs I breed them too - only 50 foals registered each year in France where they are popular.

I am also fearful for our small native ponies such as Exmoor, Dartmoor and Eriskay.

ThePony

Visit site
Another vote for the Cleveland Bay, worryingly few full breeds born worldwide each year - Like Rollin says, just 32 worldwide!!! More panda's are born each year! It is tragic that such a wonderful breed is critically endangered. We are hoping to add to our tiny herd with a full bred filly in a year or two. Once you have got to know a CB, every other breed pales in comparison!

We are lucky enough to have a cbxtb mare, who hides the tb very well! She is a beautiful chapman type, sensitive and very clever. She will try her all for you, and responds very well to being gently asked with building her confidence being key. A horse that doesn't suit the 'I tell, you obey' way of riding that can be often seen round here! Once she trusts you and understands what is being asked, then she is your friend for like and would go to the ends of the earth for you. She loves her showjumping and she is great at it, such a powerhouse, but so careful too! Atm she is giving dressage a go, she loves to show off and has wonderful paces. A wonderful horse who is characteristic of a truly fantastic breed.

Our beautiful girl - showing those lovely CB kind eyes and lovely big ears!
DSC05134.jpg

Last edited:

ColandMe

Visit site
I am surprised at what breeds are classed as rare or do people think of them as rare because they are merely unusual in the UK as opposed to actually having a limited number of them?

Clydesdales?! We are falling over them here (although how true to the original type they are I am not sure, ours are very tall and very leggy)

You're lucky, I don't know of anymore in my locality. They are considered to be at risk by the Rare Breeds Survival Trust.

Christmas Magic

Visit site
Perlino Akhal-Teke's, the most georgous horses ever!!! not sure how many there are but not that many, they unfortunately don't live very long, the horse on these pictures dies at the age of 5, natural death.

iwantit.jpg

1267930932_0611913436.jpg

Sorry,but total rubbish!Where you took this info from?:pThey live as long as normal horses,and they not so rare,its quite a few in Russia:)Because of they lack of pigmentation(in any perlino or cremello horse)they are more sensitive to sun on their pink noses and around the eyes ,but that's it!But i agree,they absolutely gorgeous,if i could i would have one!Love akhal teke!

JustMe22

Visit site
Not rare as such, but SA Boerperde can be really very nice :) They're fantastic all rounders, and plenty jump the children's A grade classes. Also do really very good dressage. Would show some pics but I think friends might not be happy :p

dominobrown

Visit site
The Black Forset horse is stunning, even though hairy horses aren't my cup of tea.
The American Bashkir- What a strange coat! Are those horses ok for people allergic to horses?

berry

Visit site
Dominobrown yes they are as they are hypoallergenic.
My fillies grandad is a curly horse painted Dunn deal. She hasn't got a curly coat as such but it feels different to other babys fur.
b0d3c1bb.jpg

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oooh, yes! Love the Barb, precursor of LOADS of breeds, including TB's, Spanish and Lusitano horses and thus most of the baroque breeds. How old is yours?

millreef

Visit site
Oooh, yes! Love the Barb, precursor of LOADS of breeds, including TB's, Spanish and Lusitano horses and thus most of the baroque breeds. How old is yours?
He's only 2. I got him as a wedding anniversary present but he's too young to do anything with so I'll leave him grow another year before we start the adventure!

PingPongPony

Visit site
Sorry,but total rubbish!Where you took this info from?:pThey live as long as normal horses,and they not so rare,its quite a few in Russia:)Because of they lack of pigmentation(in any perlino or cremello horse)they are more sensitive to sun on their pink noses and around the eyes ,but that's it!But i agree,they absolutely gorgeous,if i could i would have one!Love akhal teke!

It's not, i didn't say that all the horses of this colour die at a young age but that this particular HORSE died at 5. Info from this horses owners blog, she's had a few of this colour and all died early, might just be a coincidence and bad breeding :)

Last edited: