Your Horse Ghost Stories.

scats

Visit site
I'll add mine.
On the 11th November, 1998, I was at our old yard in the evening after school as usual. The tack rooms we had were old army cabins from the war (yard next door to the old RAF camp- now just fields). When you rented a stable on one side of the yard, you got a cabin for storage.
Friend of mine at the time was older than me by a few years- she was 19 and I was 13. She had just ridden and we were taking the tack back to her cabin. Her saddle rack was on the back wall so she headed to the back of the cabin, putting her saddlecloth on the desk that ran the whole length down one wall. I had carried the grooming box so I also put it on the table. As we chatted and friend was putting saddle on rack, the grooming box started to move. I wasn't really paying attention and just assumed it had been knocked by the saddlecloth somehow, so I picked it up and put it back as it was now close to falling off the desk. Friend now moved the saddlecloth so I could see all sides of the grooming box. To my absolute surprise, it started moving again. Now I was actually watching it- I could see all sides of it and it was moving in a slow but steady way, as if someone was pushing one corner. It ended up hanging off the desk before it stopped.
Friend was still gabbing away at the back and I remember simply saying, very calmly , "Jen, you've got to look at this" and I lifted it back into place. Friend turned to watch and almost instantly it started again. The two of us just stared at it while it moved and as it reached the edge of the desk, instead of stopping, it positively leapt off and the light went out. All I remember was my friend absolutely hysterically screaming and legging it- pushing me into the doorframe. Her reaction spooked me, so I then ran out.
One of the yard mums heard the commotion as we legged it down the yard and came to investigate with us. She got a torch and we headed back. The grooming box was now lying on the floor at the far side of the cabin and every item in it was now randomly placed around the cabin- a brush on a high hay hale, a hoof pick at the complete opposite side on the floor... absolutely nothing made any sense.

To this day, I can't explain it and until the age of 13, I was the first person to ridicule anyone who talked about the paranormal, but this incident really made me question that. I had and still have a feeling that I had annoyed someone by continuing to place the box and after three times, it got annoyed and decided to show me!

The fact it happened on Armistace Day just added to that.

I will never forget that day. I found it fascinating and wasn't really scared, but it really shook my friend up and she didn't get over it for a long while.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
This is such an old thread I don’t know if any of you will pick this up. I’ve been so desperate with my horse I contacted an animal communicator this week. Not something I would normally believe in and I’m still very sceptical but she said the problems I’ve been having in school with my horse (she acts like she’s petrified of something in a particular part of the school - btw she’s good everywhere else) are because my horse is seeing a ghost of a horse that had a tragic accident and was pts. She said she has tried to send it on but to move yard. Deep down I’ve felt for a while she could be happier in another yard. I can’t find anywhere else suitable so what do I do? I feel I must sound like a mad woman saying all this but I’d explore any possibility if it means I can keep this horse (partner keeps telling me to sell her but deep down I know the problem is the school for whatever reason that might be). Can anyone help?

I would start a separate thread and people will definitely see it then.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
This is such an old thread I don’t know if any of you will pick this up. I’ve been so desperate with my horse I contacted an animal communicator this week. Not something I would normally believe in and I’m still very sceptical but she said the problems I’ve been having in school with my horse (she acts like she’s petrified of something in a particular part of the school - btw she’s good everywhere else) are because my horse is seeing a ghost of a horse that had a tragic accident and was pts. She said she has tried to send it on but to move yard. Deep down I’ve felt for a while she could be happier in another yard. I can’t find anywhere else suitable so what do I do? I feel I must sound like a mad woman saying all this but I’d explore any possibility if it means I can keep this horse (partner keeps telling me to sell her but deep down I know the problem is the school for whatever reason that might be). Can anyone help?

Thanks so much Maz55 for reopening this thread, I've only recently joined the forum and missed it the first time. Having read every post (dinner was late!) I've been chilled, fascinated and, especially in the accounts of horses, very, very moved. I believe there are things which can't be weighed, measured or quantified in a logical, scientific way yet they do exist, hence the postings on this thread. I also believe animals speak in a language which most of humanity has lost the ability to understand. So if you think you sound like a mad woman I'm right there beside you!

Snowfilly

Visit site
We had a ghost shetland for a while; we had two different fields and the hill field could be seen from the other. We'd often comment on how odd it was our shetland grazed the top of the hill away from the others - only to drive across and find her moved with the others. She was Pure white with age and living with some bays so easy to see from a distance. Then I went down and sat with her one afternoon as her creep feeder had broke and she took ages to eat - queue a frantic phone call from Mum: 'why isn't your mare eating? I can see her at the top of the hill, what are you doing?'

'I'm stood with her at the bottom of the hill...'

'There's a white pony at the top.'

'Well, it's not this one!'

We eventually saw both of them at the same time occasionally, but a few years ago, our Shetland died and we brought the remaining two home. It's a cattle field now and we've never seen the ghost one since the horses left.

I also lost my horse of a lifetime and had a few weird experiences afterwards - really vivid dreams that included scent and sound, always of us riding but always in a place I didn't recognise; walking up the field one day about 3 years after his death when I caught myself thinking 'I'll just finish this and I'll go get him, he wants to go riding,' which didn't feel like my thought but like I was picking up on his, and two different people telling me I had a spirit horse at my shoulder. One was an old lady in the street, who looked like a gypsy, she came over and said 'dear, you have a horse walking beside you, did you know?' And the other was a medium type who was a friend of a friend, who assured me that 'he's always around you.' I find that one dubious, as he could had heard from family, but the random lady in the high street did make me wonder! I've lost lots of other horses but never had anything like that with them, but I'd never had a bond like we had with any other horse.

My riding instructor once told me he'd walked Into his stallion boxes, saw his foundation stallion Charlie in the end box, said hello to him and reached out to pat him before remembering he'd been dead 13 years - he'd lived most of his life in that box. Current stallion was out in the fields.

I find ghost horses staying around comforting rather than scary!

Reactions: DD

KittenInTheTree

Visit site

It could be something to do with the surface itself - maybe it's deeper there, or there's subsidence going on underground and your mare has picked up on that.

Frumpoon

Visit site
I've never had anything like this happen but believe it can for sure! Folks at our yard swear there's been the sound of shod hooves on concrete long after lights out but that's as far as it goes

Keep them coming though folks

Pie's mum

Visit site
Current yard is on an ancient farm - the farmhouse dates back hundreds and hundreds of years. A few funny things happen on the yard... doors occasionally slam hard - but there’s no wind to catch them, it’s like they have been shoved. The same doors will on other days stay open quite happily.
I also get followed around by smells sometimes, lavender or roses. On Christmas Day I could smell roses down by the dung heap - most odd. There is literally nowhere that the smell could be coming from, the dung heap is down in the field (I actually sniffed around to see if I could source it!), and a feeling like someone had brushed past me.
A couple of times I’ve been on my own on the yard and thought someone had walked across the gravel.. no one there.

DTV

Visit site
Not really a ghost storey but more of a presence.I lost my beloved Chester in April 2015.A closer bond with a horse is hard to imagine and I was devastated.A close friend,who is also a medium,was amazingly supportive and stayed with me most of the day.The things she passed on to me about his spirit and that he was still with me were a great comfort though I didn't really believe deep down.That all changed one sunny day the following July.I had just finished poo picking in 'his' paddock which still had his long term field partners in.They were grazing side by side and as I approached them I was overwhelmed by Chesters very distinct sweet smell.Walked a little further and the smell went,walked back and it enveloped me again.I'm sure he was visiting his old friends that day and it was a lovely feeling to realise he really was still around.His spirit moved on the day I met my new horse.He knew I had found peace.x.

scats

Visit site
Another not horse related one and could be complete coincidence but was quite funny at the time.

In 2016 my beloved cat of fifteen years went missing and when she was found, 5 weeks later, we battled to save her but after three days at the vets, I had to say goodbye. It as an extremely traumatic time and my heart was actually broken when she was missing. I've never experienced pain like that in my life. To find her and put her down was almost a relief, as odd as that sounds.

Anyway, shortly afterwards I got two kittens to help mend my broken heart. I had my beloved cats ashes in a casket on a little sturdy shelf by my bed, with her picture next to it.
One night the kittens were being absolutely wild, as kittens do and flying around like idiots- up the curtains, walls etc. Then one of them ran across my face while I was in bed and really scratched me. Almost instantly, the picture of my beloved old cat came flying off the shelf and landed slam down on the bed, startling the life out of the kitten (and me!). There was no-one near the shelf and the picture was actually propped behind the ashes casket, so I have no idea how that came off the shelf without the casket coming off. The kittens calmed down instantly and just sort of sloped off. They went from totally wild to completely subdued. I shrugged it off and thought nothing of it, but that picture has never fallen since, even when I've wobbled the shelf, and it's now been nearly 2 years.

Reactions: DD

EnglishRose

Visit site
My beloved first horse was pts in 2002, he was 31 and although it was the hardest decision, the right thing to do for him. I had a very vivid dream out of the blue about 2 years ago that woke me. I could not only smell him, but I felt myself lifting my arms and hugging his neck, putting my face near his and could feel his breath on my my face. He had an Arabs thumbprint on his neck and I can distinctly remember running my hand over his neck to find it. It was so so real that I woke suddenly to find myself silently crying with my arms outstretched as if around his neck. I sat up and as I did the light from a streetlamp was illuminating a photo of him I have in my bedroom. Convinced he paid me a visit that night and I am left with a lovely warm feeling. Hope he comes back again soon !

Danielle english

New User
Visit site
Back in 2017 we were all at the yard as we had a show to attend the next day and we used to sleep over to make sure they were ready and to leave early. We were camping in one of our fields and me and my friend needed to go back down to the yard at about 11am to check that everything was locked up. We walked through the yard and we had ponies in the stables with six stables in total. As we walked in the tack room at the opposite end of the yard we didn’t acknowledge the stables as we wanted to just get back to sleep. As we walked back through I called goodnight to the ponies that were in and we went back to the tents. I said I thought only Gemma and thistle were staying in (the two ponies) as I had seen three with one on the opposite side of the stable block to those two. It was grey and I presumed my other Friend had decided to put him in without us realising. One the way back up to the tents I said I thought only Gemma and thistle were staying in. My friend looked at me and said they are the only two and I said no they aren’t domino is in there as well, she looked at me and said no he’s in the field and sure enough he was with the rest of our herd. Surely enough when we went down into the yard early the next morning they were the only two in the stables, and there was no way the other horse would of been able to get out. it was very spooky. Earlier that year we lost once of our ponies to grass disease, the stable I saw the grey pony had been his stable. And what’s even spookier he was a Grey gelding called rollie. I fully believe I saw him that night and he is still wondering around our stables

Finlib

Visit site
I am the ghost!!!!!
It was in the late 1970's My husband was working abroad for a couple of months and we were looking for a horse for him. I went up to the sales (in Wales) with a friend and bought recently backed 4 year old ready to ride on.
She was a lovely grey Welsh very white!
She joins my mare on the farm which was opposite a private wooded estate which had footpaths and bridleways running through a short cut for locals to the pub!
It was winter and on bright nights I would lead her over the road and then ride on the estate by moonlight .It worked well and she was going really well by the spring.
later that year I heard a couple of local chatting in the pub about the ghostly white horse and rider seen by a few locals in the woods they say the rider was killed in an accident falling from the horse and is now seen riding her pure white horse in the woods.
Oh dear it was me!!!!!! Never did enlighten them.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Not a horse story and it didn't happen to me but here goes anyway. A work colleague of mine had a holiday cottage in France that she and her late husband had competely renovated. Some while after her husband died she met someone new and they went out to stay in the cottage one Christmas. Tragically he was taken ill and died while they were there. She then met another man who is now her husband. Before they were married they went out to stay in the cottage. He knew nothing about the boyfriend who died there. From day one he didn't like the place and one night he went downstairs for something and came back quite shaken, said he had seen an old man sitting in a chair smoking a pipe. The man who died had a beard and was a pipe smoker. My friend didn't enlighten him about the previous friend dying there. Unsurprisingly they decided to sell the cottage.

JJS

Visit site
I had an odd experience, which to this day I’m not sure how to explain. I lost my first mare, Alice, on the 13th May 2014, and later that year, I was bringing Tudor and Sixpence in from the field when something strange happened.

It was autumn, and the wind was absolutely howling. It was pitch black outside, and the rain was lashing my face. All of the other horses were already in, and I was trying to get mine in as quickly as I could. My hair had come loose from my ponytail and was covering my face so I could barely see, and the boys were really on edge and panicky. The wind was so strong that twigs kept flying down from the trees above, and dead leaves were swirling around us (the stables bordered a huge old wood, so there was a lot of debris for gusts that strong to pick up).

Out of nowhere, there was this shrill, frantic whinny from the field to the right of us. I remember stopping dead and trying to push my hair out of my eyes to see, because I could have sworn that it was Alice. Sixpence and Tudor stopped too, and Six called back and tried pulling toward the sound. I had this really weird moment of feeling panicky and thinking I had to get her in, because she’d hate being outside on a night like that.

The next thing I knew, this huge sheet of corrugated metal went flying past right in front of us. A split second later, and we would have been stood right in its path. The only thing that had stopped that from happening was hearing that whinny.

To this day, I don’t know what happened that night. Maybe the wind distorted the sound of another horse calling, but it sounded so much like her, and it came from the very spot where she’d had to be put to sleep earlier that year. I could have sworn, too, that for just a second after that metal went flying past, I saw her silhouetted on the hilltop.

Maybe it was nothing more than a trick of the imagination, but I like to think that it was her looking out for me, just as she did when she was alive.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Another one a few years ago I had an accident when I woke up in the hospital bed I had the very strong sensation that my two deceased Labradors dogs where lying one on each side of me .
Was my brain giving me a comforting feeling in an ghastly situation or perhaps they where watching over me.
It is comforting to know animals can still visit us on earth and I am sure they were helping you. I occasionally see my deceased terriers.The most recent was on wakening in the morning my oldie who was a very devoted dog was sitting on the armchair opposite my bed and was staring intently at me.I couldnt focus for a moment which of the two dogs it was but the dogs face zoomed in as if on focus on a camera and I could tell who it was. My other terrier although dead 6 yrs wakens me now and then with a single distinct bark that is without doubt his.

SEL

Visit site
Really enjoyed reading this thread.

We moved yards a few months ago and my mare has been really nappy and spooky at one particular point on the track. I mentioned this to my YO who rolled her eyes and said she'd tell Polo to behave. Apparently Polo was an old horse who dropped dead at that particular spot and likes to be a pain when there are new horses on the yard. So far, so good.

Five&Two

Visit site
Have any of your u seen the video on Facebook of the horse being turned out and another horse coming to say hello, only thing is the horse coming to say hello was put to sleep in that field years before ❤️

Frumpoon

Visit site
[QUOT="Pudding&Pie, post: 14154947, member: 141933"]Have any of your u seen the video on Facebook of the horse being turned out and another horse coming to say hello, only thing is the horse coming to say hello was put to sleep in that field years before ❤️[/QUOTE]

Yes!!!!!

Sandstone1

Visit site
[QUOT="Pudding&Pie, post: 14154947, member: 141933"]Have any of your u seen the video on Facebook of the horse being turned out and another horse coming to say hello, only thing is the horse coming to say hello was put to sleep in that field years before ❤️

Yes!!!!![/QUOTE]
Have you got a link to it please?

doodle

Visit site
Sultan and Minto were pair bonds, had been for a long time. There were 2 stables with a lowish dividing wall for them. Sultan was pts age 38 in his stable. Both Minto and i were devastated. Sultan was buried in the field. I had such a atrong feeling he was still about. Minto would be settled in the stable, less so in the field.

After about 2 weeks i took Minto out for a ride for first time since we lost Sultan. The stables look out down the road. We were walking back up the road, looked uo and there was sultan looking out over his stable door. It was very comforting.

Then a white feather floated down right in front of me and minto. I picked it up and tucked it in mintos stable in a place it couldnt fall out or be knocked. Still with the feeling he was still aboutm feather stayed there for about a year. One day it was gone and i think he had moved on.they are both now buried together.

I have also had 2 cats come into my room after loosing them.

scats

Visit site
Have any of your u seen the video on Facebook of the horse being turned out and another horse coming to say hello, only thing is the horse coming to say hello was put to sleep in that field years before ❤️

Yes, but it’s quite obviously a reflection of the person walking away. Watch it carefully and the ‘ghost horse’ moves exactly the same time as the person. If you look closely, the apparent blaze is just a patch of light. It’s quite convincing at first watch though!

Five&Two

Visit site
No not at all, there is nothing 'quite obvious' about it at all, it come from the wrong angle to start, that's not how light reflects nor how it refracts in that environment.

scats

Visit site
No not at all, there is nothing 'quite obvious' about it at all, it come from the wrong angle to start, that's not how light reflects nor how it refracts in that environment.

I beg to differ I’m afraid. I think it’s a reflection on the glass of the camera (or the camera is behind glass) so it could quite easily be a reflection on the glass, that makes it look like it’s in the field.

I’ve just watched it again. It even more obviously some sort of reflection because the person walking has a light on the front of them that is a complete mirror of the ‘blaze of the horse’. It’s slightly rectangular in shape. If you pause it on the ghost Horse, you’ll realise it looks nothing like a horse, it’s a shape with a light reflection, moving in the opposite direction to the person, in the same footfall.

This is just my opinion. But I’m pretty sure they’ve not caught a ghost horse on camera.

Last edited:

Sandstone1

Visit site
I beg to differ I’m afraid. I think it’s a reflection on the glass of the camera (or the camera is behind glass) so it could quite easily be a reflection on the glass, that makes it look like it’s in the field.

I’ve just watched it again. It even more obviously some sort of reflection because the person walking has a light on the front of them that is a complete mirror of the ‘blaze of the horse’. It’s slightly rectangular in shape. If you pause it on the ghost Horse, you’ll realise it looks nothing like a horse, it’s a shape with a light reflection, moving in the opposite direction to the person, in the same footfall.

This is just my opinion. But I’m pretty sure they’ve not caught a ghost horse on camera.
I haven't seen it if anyone could post a link please.

Mister Ted

Visit site
When we moved house we took our beautiful tabby cat with us and decided to keep him inside for a few weeks as it was the city and until he was used to his surroundings. My dog was recovering from hepatitis at the time and got a bit more extra care than the cat I suppose. One day as I was lifting the cat off the bed to give the dog more peace, a voice said rather indignantly,"If you dont look after that cat youre going to lose it".I didnt give it much thought and told myself I was imagining it.The cat would waken us up at night with him scratching in his litter tray and as one of us was working early shifts it was decided he could go out late at night instead for his toilet although I wasnt too happy about it and thought it a bit too soon. During the evening the cat walked into the hall and looked toward the front door and suddenly he stopped in his tracks and his hair all over stood up on end as if he had seen a ghost. He ran back into the sitting room and later on a repeat of the scenario again in the hall with every hair on end.It was quite unnerving to see. Later on at about eleven that night I put him out for his toilet but he never returned and that was the last we saw of him. I was sick with worry and searched the streets and later put posters up. I got a call from someone a few weeks later to say a cat of that description had been killed on the road and the council had removed him. I believe my cat saw forsaw his own death that night in the house, and if only I had kept him in.