your most equestrian unsuitable car.

BallyJ

Visit site
I have a Vauxhall Adam.
It has the smallest boot so i've got the back seats down, a duvet and old horse rug in the back so the dogs can travel around! I adore it :)

mums the groom

Visit site
Most useless car OH Jag XJ ( not allowed to take it to the yard... Solution made him change it for Jeep Grand Cherokee :eek:)
My Piccanto may be small but with the seats down is quite practical, moved twice with that little car and lots of runs back and too.

conniegirl

Visit site
I used to have a Smart car! definitely totally unsuitable for anything equine!

I now have a toytoa Aygo which is almost as unsuitable.

Last edited:

emfen1305

Visit site
I have an Aygo, so pretty much exactly the same! The exhaust fell off a few weeks ago (while a potential purchase was being vetted - waiting for the RAC would have been awkward if she'd failed) which I blame on time spent bouncing down the drive at the yard.

Saddle fits on the back seat. It hypothetically has a boot but there's so much random crap in there that adding a grain of sand would be difficult.

I'm now trying to decide whether to buy a new car or a nice little 3.5 lorry. Brain says car, heart says lorry... I can commute to and from the yard in a lorry, right?

Ha yes the boot is none existent but mine is a 5 door so can easily shove feed on the back seat, actually it currently acts as a wardrobe/laundry basket as I get changed at the yard and then forget to take my work clothes upstairs!

Oooh if i had the chance heart would say lorry too, just park it on the yard and move in, then no need to commute!

McFluff

Visit site
I loved my Saab Convertible - not so sure she loved being stuffed full of tack and other horsey things. Best thing about a convertible was that you could 'air' them easily so they didn't smell too horsey...I miss my convertible, such fun cars.
I borrowed a friends S2000 - lovely car but seriously nowhere to put horsey kit! Barely room for a handbag. but awesome fun :)

atropa

Visit site
I have a Vauxhall Adam.
It has the smallest boot so i've got the back seats down, a duvet and old horse rug in the back so the dogs can travel around! I adore it :)

I have a Vauxhall Adam too....with cream cloth seats (they're now cream/mud polka dot, it's awful). Tiny boot which is usually full of assorted rugs, numnahs, shoes etc, tiny back seat and three doors, so I usually manage to fit maybe 3 bales of shavings or feed in - two in back seats (popped in through the boot) and one in the passenger seat.

ihatework

Visit site
My most useless car ever was a sporty little Alfa Romeo - beautiful to look at, but expect any sort of reliability or performance ..... the mere hint of rain or cold and it was on a duvet day. Useless heap of junk.

On the other hand, the best car I have ever owned is my current Mitsu Outlander, it just does whatever it needs to without answering back!

Art Nouveau

Visit site
My husband has an alfa romeo mito. I still call it his car despite the fact it's a shared car now. It's not as bad as the other cars on this thread but the boot is an awkward shape, and it's a 3 door with the handles down by the hinge so the doors are very heavy to open and close.

I really miss my peugeot 206, excellent little work horse, definitely in the tardis contender category for fitting shavings bags. Added bonus of the air intake being at the top of the engine so I wasn't worried the year I had to regularly drive through flooded roads to get to the yard.

C1airey

Visit site
I used to have a Mini One. A bag of chaff filled the boot. It was so low-slung that I worried about beaching over speed bumps and pot holes might as well have been bear pits.

The nice chaps at the feed shop did manage to fit 8 bales of Bedmax in it with the seats down. I almost needed a crowbar to get them out at the yard though!

Tarragon

Visit site
I was once moving some jumping poles and had them in my mondeo. I had the back seat down and the poles came up between the driver and passenger seat. It was fine until I had to break while going down a hill and the poles slid forward and cracked my windscreen - I did feel stupid!!!

Tarragon

Visit site
I have a RAV now for my horsey work, which I love, but the only real problem is that it has a boot door that opens to the side which means when you have a trailer hooked on you can't open the boot! What a crazy design idea.

Nasicus

Visit site
Only problem is it's a 3 door, so while I can fit a lot into the boot, sometimes there's a bit of necessary squeezing a shoving to get stuff into the back seat! But it's successfully carried 7 bags of assorted feeds and bedding at one time (5 20kg bags and 2 bags of wood pellets)... god knows what it did to the weight of it and what it looked like from behind but nvm
Oh man, you've reminded me of the time I bought 22 bags of aquamax wood pellets and took them home via the 10 mile journey along bumpy country roads in my poor c3. I worked it out to be around 330kg in the boot/back seats, the wheel arches on the back were soooo close to the wheels. Needless to say it was a very slow, careful drive home.

Steerpike

Visit site
I used to have a Suzuki Alto, uncomfortable as hell but cheap as chips to run and could fit an alarming amount in even though it did struggle, then I had a Renault Laguna which had a massive boot space but sadly it died so after hubby saw the state of the inside of it he got me a Peugeot van!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
I had an mg midget. Couldnt fit a saddle in anywhere - passenger seat was too narrow and boot barely fit a pair of boots in. Minimal heating and would steam up if you got in wet. Wipers werent strong enough to remove snow if it snowed while driving.
But it was great fun.
Sold it to pay for a trailer :(

Bob notacob

Visit site
My most unexpectedly equestrianly useful car was an old Reliant 3 wheeler (only fools and horses car).Incredibly cheap to run (apart from its total unreliability .Could carry 10 bales of hay or 14 students (I used to have a film of us getting out ,it looked totaly fake and impossible but it was true ). Only time it floored me was XC in a wood when I drove over a rotted stump and the diff dropped neatly into it .The farmer as I recall just picked up the back end of the car to remove it.

Caol Ila

Visit site
My 2004 Nissan X-Trail. Sure, when it could go to the barn it was a fantastic horsey car, but it spent more time at the garage than the barn.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I had a Honda S2000 as my daily. Got rid of my very old banger and got this instead.

Pros:
The boot when open was the *perfect* height as a mounting block.
I could actually fit myself in the boot (yeah I'm a weirdo) so a bag of feed was grand,
it actually went Vrroom Vroom -I'm a bit of a petrol head.

Cons:
I couldn't fit a saddle in the boot so it got strapped into the front seat when I was going to shows. Friend used to bring the horse with hers as he travelled better with my fella.
I got some looks showing up in it though and hopping out in my show gear and tacking up, then raising the roof and using it as a mounting block.

I want it back..

Visit site
I had a Honda S2000 as my daily. Got rid of my very old banger and got this instead.

Pros:
The boot when open was the *perfect* height as a mounting block.
I could actually fit myself in the boot (yeah I'm a weirdo) so a bag of feed was grand,
it actually went Vrroom Vroom -I'm a bit of a petrol head.

Cons:
I couldn't fit a saddle in the boot so it got strapped into the front seat when I was going to shows. Friend used to bring the horse with hers as he travelled better with my fella.
I got some looks showing up in it though and hopping out in my show gear and tacking up, then raising the roof and using it as a mounting block.

I want it back..

It fit you in the boot but not a saddle?

Dubsie

Visit site
I'm not impressed with the mpg towing of a Shogun (14-19mpg admittedly it's the hills that are the killer). I used to have a Mercedes Vaneo - small 7 seater car based on the A class chassis I think, with sliding doors. Could get 14 bales of hay in it with the back seats taken out, no tow bar but always got 40+mpg.

CrazyMare

Visit site
All OH's cars. All owned while he had horses; 198something6maybe? Jaguar XJ6 with cream interior, BMW 728 with cream interior, MGF with cream interior....

Lacking in practicality for various reasons, not least the cream interiors....