Your stories of wolf teeth extraction

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Please can you tell me how this went for you and your horse please? In particular, stories of adult horses having them removed.

Thanks

Rebels

Visit site
Horse doped then endless wiggling, eventually a tooth, not much blood. Comes round from sedation absolutely fine, next few days off and then no problems. That's been the story for 3 of mine.

hoggedmane

Visit site
I've had two have them removed - very similar to above - they had very little root and the recovery was quick.

lovinyourwork

Visit site
Done by dentist in stable, no fuss, just the mean headcollar. He was rising 3. I was more freaked out, hate teeth in general

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
My chap had three wolf teeth removed, but while he was still quite young. Very straightforward removal. There was a fair bit of blood, but once he came round from the sedation he seemed surprisingly unaffected by the experience, especially when it came to eating.

ibot

Visit site
I have paddys wolf tooth sitting downstairs :D:D Dentist said it was banging against his bit so needed to come out, the dentist was telling me i needed to get the vet out and sedate him as he did this he touched the tooth and it was wobbly so that was that, although must say had dentist out the other day and she was wittering about the wolf tooth again so might need to have it checked again :confused::confused:
paddy was 6ish hope that helps feel free to pm me xx

sueeltringham

Visit site
Mine was nearly 4, the dentist tried when he wasn't sedated, just using local anaesthetic. We decided he really needed a sedation. The vet was booked. He was sedated, vet tried to extract but ponio fought, so vet gave him enough sedative to knock him out. The job was done in a couple of minutes, huge wolf teeth in a tiny mouth! Ponio came round and was absolutely fine. :D

Irishcobs

Visit site
My own experiences are the same as the other posts.

But I novice first horse owner friend told me a popular EDT in my area had removed her 4yr old mare's wolf teeth without sedation. He told her he was saving her money. Poor girl was horrified when I explained why she should of been sedated.

Tash88

Visit site
My just-turned seven year old had his out last Wednesday - the vet was rasping his teeth with the gag on as per a routine check-up when a wolf tooth came out. The vet then removed the other one (on the other side) for symmetry. No sedation required and the other one came out really easily and horse wasn't bothered, the vet then had to take some more of the root out whereas the other one had come out with all the root attached.

Was very straightforward - horse had the next two days off, hacked on a loose-ish rein over the weekend and lunged today, no sensitivity at all :)

Edited to say (after reading last post) that I asked about sedation and the vet said that he would be fine. Fortunately he was, but I didn't know they required sedation for wolf teeth removal? I wouldn't say I was a novice horse owner but have never had to deal with wolf teeth before.

Last edited:

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

When I bought my pony the dentist came out and said his teeth were quite good but he had some small wolf teeth and for me to see how he goes.

I personally think it/they (not sure how many he has) are causing him some discomfort when ridden so got the dentist out again tomorrow. Pony is 11 this year and I have a phobia of toothy stuff and pony hates vet/needles so I think the whole experience will be traumatic for us both. I wont know until tomorrow though, so just wanted peoples experiences.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Kal had two removed a couple of years ago (he would have been about 10/11 then), no sedation, minimal fuss, but then he has a really high pain threshold.

Before that he was a headshaker . . hmmm, wonder why?

P

Irishcobs

Visit site
Sorry should of explained further, the wolf teeth were deep rooted and very well attached, it took the EDT a long time to remove them, the horse was very sore and bleeding a fair bit. She is now a little head shy and worried about opening her mouth for the bit.
I'm amazed she stood to let him do it tbh.

RubysGold

Visit site
My boy was 3yo when I got his wolf teeth out.
The dentist just put some gel stuff on them, to numb it. And then they just wriggled out quite easily. Dont remember their being much blood at all :)

Love

Visit site
Kenny had his out a few months back - sedated, vet did some wiggling and tugging and voila! Not much blood at all :) teeth are now in my jewellery box! Let his mouth heal for a couple of days then used bit wrap on bit for a few weeks (probably over cautious but he seemed to like it!). Honestly, nothing to worry about :)

smokey

Visit site
My just-turned seven year old had his out last Wednesday - the vet was rasping his teeth with the gag on as per a routine check-up when a wolf tooth came out. The vet then removed the other one (on the other side) for symmetry. No sedation required and the other one came out really easily and horse wasn't bothered, the vet then had to take some more of the root out whereas the other one had come out with all the root attached.

Was very straightforward - horse had the next two days off, hacked on a loose-ish rein over the weekend and lunged today, no sensitivity at all :)

Edited to say (after reading last post) that I asked about sedation and the vet said that he would be fine. Fortunately he was, but I didn't know they required sedation for wolf teeth removal? I wouldn't say I was a novice horse owner but have never had to deal with wolf teeth before.

This is exactly my experience with my last horse. Routine rasp, oh, there's a wolf tooth, quick tug and it was out, no sedation.

tinap

Visit site
I bought a rising 5yr old a month ago who was a little fussy in her mouth while being ridden. I got the vet to have a look while he did her jabs (he's also an edt) & he said she had a blind wolf tooth & said he would whip it out.

He sedated her a little, nerve blocked through her nose into her jaw & took it out. It did take some effort mind! He said he had a problem as in the hole he was making kept closing up while he was swapping tools! She needed a little extra sedation but It came out eventually & although it looked small to me he said it was a big one. There was quite a bit of blood about (good job I'm not squeamish as I was holding her head for him ;) )

She came round fully within the hour & was a bit sore & swollen for a few days. After a week off to heal, the daughter got back on & the difference was instantly noticeable.

The vet did say that removal of wolf teeth that have cut through are a lot easier & less stressful to remove xx

Circe

Visit site
My tb was 5 or 6 when he had his out.
His was a blind wolf tooth, and was removed by the vet. It took about 20mins and he had to have 2 lots of sedation, the vet was just having trouble getting hold of the tooth to pull it, and although my boy was sedated, he kept licking around the area, and getting his tongue in the way.
We ended up with me having to hold his tongue out the side of his mouth, which was a new experience for me :)
When the vet did get it out he said it was a big one.
He took a little while to come around fully.... I think he was enjoying the spaced out feeling, so I didnt give him a hard feed that night, the next day he was fine.
I gave him 4 or 5 days off from having a bit in after that.
Kx

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Mine were both youngsters, both done by the dentist and both very quick.

With Big Ears I was holding her, braced for the moment the dentist actually extracted each tooth in case she pulled back, only for dentist to say 'here you go then' and hand me two teeth. I'd never even felt her move...

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Mine was 4 when dentist found a shard of wolf tooth left in his upper jaw. The wolf tooth wasn't too much of a problem, he was sedated, it came out fairly quickly, not too much blood. I kept him in light work out hacking in a bitless bridle, healed up well and was back in a bit 2 weeks later.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I really hope he doesnt need it doing. I can see it being traumatic from the start!

With regards to sedation, what is the aftercare? Pony lives out as he doesnt do stables. Would he be able to go back out after it has worn off? He is in his own field, with friends over the fence. Fingers crossed it wont come to that x

Love

Visit site
I've always kept mine in so they don't try to eat or drink whilst still sleepy as they could choke. It depends on the amount that is given but normally it doesn't take much more than 3/4 of an hour for Kenny to come round (he is undergoing treatment for a blocked tear duct so is currently being sedated once a week to have it flushed). Personally I'd keep him in or just away from food and water etc until he has come round - even if he's just tied up on the yard

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I've always kept mine in so they don't try to eat or drink whilst still sleepy as they could choke. It depends on the amount that is given but normally it doesn't take much more than 3/4 of an hour for Kenny to come round (he is undergoing treatment for a blocked tear duct so is currently being sedated once a week to have it flushed). Personally I'd keep him in or just away from food and water etc until he has come round - even if he's just tied up on the yard

His field is pretty bare as he's in a fatty paddock. I could keep him tied up on the yard though, or put him in the school.

tinap

Visit site
I was told to keep her in without hay or water until she had come round fully then I could feed/hay/water her as normal & she could go out the next day. She had had 2 lots of sedation & a nerve block xx

KHippo

Visit site
Watching this thread with interest as mine has one blind wolf tooth & one visible. Not decided what to do yet as dentist recommended just keeping an eye on how he goes (just broken) for now. Got a feeling I'll be having them out though, puts my mind at rest & means he has no excuses to act like a knobber :rolleyes:

tinap

Visit site
^^ I was amazed at the immediate difference in ours after having the blind tooth out! She had been going round twisting her head to one side but stopped that as soon as it was out :)

KHippo

Visit site
^^ I was amazed at the immediate difference in ours after having the blind tooth out! She had been going round twisting her head to one side but stopped that as soon as it was out :)

How much time did yours have off after, tinap?

Teeth make me cringe big time & the thought of putting his bridle on & the bit being over a whopping great tooth-hole makes me feel a bit queasy lol! Did you have to keep the hole clean after or anything? Ugh, sweaty hands just thinking about this, think I need to man up :eek:

Tash88

Visit site

Both my horse's wolf teeth were visible but I've noticed that he's much softer and happier in his mouth now he's had them out, even though they didn't seem to be causing problems before. I schooled him for the first time today since he had them out and it didn't take him long to soften at all and he seemed more relaxed. :)

KHippo, I know you asked Tina but thought I'd answer your questions as well - I asked the vet about bitting etc. and he said that the bit doesn't go as far back as the wolf teeth (unless you are hideous with your hands ;)) so that shouldn't be a problem. The gum heals over the hole really quickly so you don't need to clean the wound afterwards and you don't notice it when putting the bit in :). I'm squeamish as well and it was fine!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Mine had 2 wolf teeth out at 4yrs old.
Vet sedated her and removed them in stable. Took about 45 mins total.
Another hour after that, she was awake and ready to go out. She planted on the way to paddock (ended up taking her for a 5 minute walk). She was fine.
She had danilon for 5 days and I was told to give her 5 days off, then see how she is.

There was no aftercare with mine. Hers was straightforward.