Your Winter Daily routine?

skint1

Visit site
DIY Livery, I work full time split between two offices one is 30 mins (with traffic and parking) the other 45 mins

I get everything ready the night before so all i have to do is get up, throw on my clothes, feed cat, take meds, go...

06:20- Arrive at yard, change rugs and put out my friends ponies
06:45- Begin to groom/tack up my boy
07:00- go on hack with yard friend
07:45- get back from hack, groom, feed, rug and turn out my boy
08:10 Muck out and prepare everything for evening
08:45 Get changed, washed etc and drive to office of the day.

If I have to be at work early I flex the schedule a bit and don't ride. I don't ride every day, I try 2-3 times a week and one day at weekend. I could probably do with being 30 mins earlier in the morning, get more done before riding.

I pay someone to bring my boy in around 4-430, then I usually pop up around 7 when I have finished work

ben456

Visit site
I get to the yard around 7am. Rug if I didn't leave it on And turn out. Sometimes my Mam Will give me a break and go up at 9am to let her out. Go back up at around 4pm-5pm. Muck out, do haynet and water and bring in if her rug is dry I'll leave it on most nights to save time in morning . I dont ride much but if I do I ride on weekend.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
This all quite interesting. Not much actual RIDING going on, then?

I noticed this! I figured a quick read through to see if there are any time saving tips!

Mine is
6am- up dressed quick . Feed animals and stabled horses (2) then out to the field ones feed, hay. Muck out and turn out. Poo pick if light enough.
8am- work and school run
1pm- home and ride both/ ride and lead put back out or leave in depending on daughters pick up time
4pm- field horses get poo picked, hayed and fed rugs checked and waters etc as needed. Stabled two get a brush and are finished up for the night.
I then do bits towards the following day- fill nets put breakfasts ready

It sounds simple written down but in reality there are lots of extra's i suppose. Yard sweeping, poo picking the stabled two mucking out the field shelter which i keep bedded up but only skip out daily.
My school run takes over an hour which is a total pita especially as its sometimes a daylight hour!

I quite like winter!

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
could be approaching a record here - 5 year old thread dug up! :lol:

Does it matter??? the poster is young and new to forum, I suppose they did not think it is a big deal to reopen a thread as they are not locked.

I never look how old the thread is, it is of no interest to me, just like I never look at the other mindless things on the left
like:
what time posted
year joined
the user name (occasionally look if it is a certain type of thread.)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Does it matter??? the poster is young and new to forum, I suppose they did not think it is a big deal to reopen a thread as they are not locked.

I never look how old the thread is, it is of no interest to me, just like I never look at the other mindless things on the left
like:
what time posted
year joined
the user name (occasionally look if it is a certain type of thread.)

sometimes it is relevant, e.g often a poster starts a thread asking for advice, the thread gets dug up years later and people spend time responding or ask for further details, they then wonder why the OP hasn't returned to answer their questions.

It happened in C&T recently to an old thread of DirectorFury's... took the OP by surprise seeing the thread pop back up and she had moved on beyond the issue some time ago. So no, it doesn't matter, but i often look at the age of the thread before responding.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Oh woops! I never look, I just assume everything on page 1/2 is fairly recent.
I guess also people search and old stuff comes up which then gets commented on and bumped up.
I don't think it matters does it? Especially something like this which is still relevant

Cheval Gal

Visit site
At yard for 8am. Feed. Groom, chat, cup of tea, cig. Ride then rug and turn out after cooling down. Muck out, change water, prepare hay. Bring in at 4pm. De-mud the mud monster and change rug. Hay and feed. Kiss velvety bit of muzzle countless times and leave yard around 6.

Last edited:

Ruby_horse123

New User
Visit site
At yard for 8am. Feed. Groom, chat, cup of tea, cig. Ride then rug and turn out after cooling down. Muck out, change water, prepare hay. Bring in at 4pm. De-mud the mud monster and change rug. Hay and feed. Kiss velvety bit of muzzle countless times and leave yard around 6.
Hi please could anyone tell me a good routine for a cob and 2 mini Shetlands that only goes out in the field sometimes in the winter
Plus they live on my land and I go to school

JulesRules

Visit site
I have 2 on DIY. Stabled at night in winter on straw.

Weekdays I'm at work so I literally chuck them out en route. Leave home approx 7.15, arrive yard approx 7.25, leave yard by 7.45 to be at work between 8.15 and 8.30 ( traffic depending)

Mornings - Chuck feed into friends horse stables next to mine, chuck feeds ( made night before) into my two, chuck no fill rugs on if ground is wet or it's rainy (this is more to keep them clean otherwise I dont get round to riding as grooming takes too long).

Put high vis on ( as we have to cross the road) and turn out. I tend to get the paddock ready the night before ( throw out hay piles and move the fence a little to eek out the grass).

In the week I muck out, do hays, water feeds etc in the evening after work.

I poo pick one day in the week and at the weekend.

At the weekend I tend to do the jobs in the morning and ride when I bring in later on.

I hate winter ?

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
At yard for around 5.30am. Feed ridden one, take oldie and his feed to the field. Then take ridden one and whatever feed he has left to the field. Full muck out on both, Haynests waters etc. Bring in about 7.30 am. Ridden one wont stay out. Go to work. Back at yard for 4.15.. Give haynet to each. Ride ridden one. Whilst I'm mucking out and doing jobs oldie potters about in a pen. Finish off around 6.30 pm.

Lucky788

Visit site
2 horses out 24/7

AM: breakfast between 7-8 maybe a bit later at weekends. Check over feet picked, occasional brush as not rugged although I do rug if cold, wet and windy. I tend to ride in the mornings if I’m going to ride

PM: check over and fuss

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hi please could anyone tell me a good routine for a cob and 2 mini Shetlands that only goes out in the field sometimes in the winter
you'd be better off starting your own thread, the problem with adding onto the bottom of an old thread is that people will reply by answering the original question rather than seeing yours :)

wiglet

Visit site
I'm on livery so the yard routine is:
7.30am hay round and feed
7.45am rug everything that needs rugging, boots etc
8.10am begin turnout
8.30am - 12noon muck out, bed down, hay up and make up feeds ready for evening
4pm bring in
4.30pm change rugs to stable rugs, pick out feet etc
5.30pm feed
5.45pm skip out
6pm top up hay where necessary
10pm final check round and hay top up

This is the same all year round except in spring/summer they come in around 5.30pm
My routine: Go up, bring horse in, brush, tack up and ride. Time... sometimes 7am, sometimes afternoon and sometimes in the evening :D

Tarragon

Visit site
This is mine:
2 ponies field kept and I work 5 days a week.
Up at stables about 7am, bring in for feed and fresh hay net. They have access to the stables from the field, so the net is hung up for them to pick at over the day.
If it is nice, I will ride and turn back out on my return.
If it isn't, I walk a steep hill on the farm (takes me about 20 mins) and turn them back out on my return.
At weekends, the routine is the same but I can ride out for longer!
They have access to 10 acres of field on a hill and in the winter months I don't poo pick.
And, that is it. I actually don't go back up as I don't rug and they are barefoot, so not so much to do. A fellow livery, who goes up twice a day to so her stabled horses will look out for them, but even when it was just me on the farm, i only went up once a day, as the farmer was around.

Sealine

Visit site
One horse on DIY livery. I work full time from home.

Monday-Friday:
6:30am arrive at farm and drop feeds over doors for yard (12 stables)
6:35-7:30am Muck out, soak haynet, prepare feeds, groom and tack-up
7:30am Hack out for 1 approx. hour (at least 3 mornings)
8:30am Untack, rug, turn out my horse and friend's horse
8:50am leave farm
9:00am Start work

The friend who I turn out for in the morning brings in and feeds for me in the evening so I don't need to go back to the yard.

Weekends:
8:00 am arrive at yard (horse will have been fed), muck out, soak hay, groom and tack-up
9:00am Hack out for 1-2 hours
11:00am Untack, rug, turn out
3:30pm bring in, groom, feed, chat/gossip
5:00pm Go home

Gingerwitch

Visit site
20 plus horses. Mainly living out. All have round bales except for some ponies and some single horses.

No set routine, I am the Boss/Staff, I do what I like, when I like. Horses and animals get fed and turned out, stalls are cleaned by the time they come back in, that's good enough for me.

6.30 - 7am. Retrieve snow shovel from beside back door. Dig my way out of the house across the yard to the barn. Haul/dig doors open - stand back whilst snow falls off the door!

Feed 'starving' nags inside, chuck hay at goats in barn.
Fall over assorted cats and chase out any raccoons or possums that are skulking in the barn. Haul open other set of doors, re-dig path to turnout paddock and turf out stalled horses. Wave at frantic (because they are starving) ponies boinging about in the small paddock.

7.30. Make sure child has gone to school. Defrost because it is probably about -18C
Coffee.

Coffee in hand buzz round on the quad clearing tracks to paddocks and checking water, hay and whatever horses are outside. Throw hay to the bouncing ponies and Zeus who has been screeching like a harpy because he wants food - liar! Inside, de-frost again. More coffee.

Clamber back into Michelin man gear, wander back to barn, skip out, do hay etc for night...it all depends on the day, what the weather is like, and how I feel.

I love not having to do anything to please anyone else:)
Are they all your own horses or do you board them for others ?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

You'd need to provide a bit more detail. Why are they only going out "sometimes" and what does "sometimes" really mean? If they are not going out in the field where are they? What work are they in? As someone else said you'd probably be best starting your own thread.

If what you mean is they are stabled full-time most days (rather than being, for example, on a yard / surfaced turnout area or in a large open barn) then, for the cob at least, IMO you would need to be exercising him/her twice a day for min 30 mins each time and mucking out twice a day. For horses that are not in proper, hard work anyway stabling full-time is the labour intensive option.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Horses at home, one retired and his companion. Live out all year round.

work mornings, drive car up track, pull up at gate to unlock, shout ‘you alright boys, I’m going to work as bloody usual!’ at them, they look at me with marginal interest or if they’re close might get a Polo.

I take fed to work in the car so on the way home (dark), pull up and feed them in the field, check by head torch.

no hay yet, they are on 6.5 acres, feed is to keep the old man in good order.

we have hard standing and shelter now and so are able to bring them into that area off a 1.5 acre paddock, I’m aiming to do that in February.

Lovemarmite

Visit site
Same routine every day, walk the dogs to the paddock around 07.15 in winter, earlier in summer, bring ponies in for the day, remove turnout rugs, quick check over, feed breakfast and poo pick field, back home by 8.00 to bundle kids off to school and start work (working from home still) either early afternoon hack or I go for a run, back down the paddock around three, move fencing as currently strip grazing foggage, top up field water, rug and turnout then muck out and prepare stables for the morning

throughtheforest

Visit site
Mine live out in 13 acres so this is my routine at the moment.
Upto the yard at 7. Fetch in the one to groom, tack up and work. Then cool down, groom, feed both horses and then back out they go. Back home for 8:45 for work at 9am. That's it!