2021 Foals .. what have you got cooking ?

Abi90

Visit site
:p:eek:
it's a gamble isn't it! I def chose temperament over talent this time I think, I am absolutely gasping for something straightforward and NORMAL. My weanling has plenty of dressage horses in her breeding but tbh easy allrounder would be a good outcome. Be nice to just enjoy hacking again o_O

Yes. I ultimately want a nice all rounder with slightly more athleticism and oomf than mum. But the same oomf would also be okay!

Bernster

Visit site
Yes. I ultimately want a nice all rounder with slightly more athleticism and oomf than mum. But the same oomf would also be okay!

Archie seems like a great choice. I’ve met two of his progeny and both were talented horses brought on by good ‘amateur’ riders and there seems to be loads just like that on his Facebook page.

Abi90

Visit site
The first time is the scariest, but once you get your head around it ,it can be addictive ! Adds a whole new level on collecting horses.

Take your time selecting a stallion, go and meet them. If possible meet some offspring too. ( preferably ones under saddle ) Especially if you are breeding for yourself.

I can see how it becomes addictive. My mare needs to be back in work post foal, but I’m now considering another once the young ‘un is backed if it turns out nicely. I already have some stallions in mind!!

Archie seems like a great choice. I’ve met two of his progeny and both were talented horses brought on by good ‘amateur’ riders and there seems to be loads just like that on his Facebook page.

Oh she’s not in foal to Archie, although he was on the list. As was Cos Me is Black but I wanted to aim for something a little finer as she’s a big boned lass.

Asha

Visit site
I can see how it becomes addictive. My mare needs to be back in work post foal, but I’m now considering another once the young ‘un is backed if it turns out nicely. I already have some stallions in mind!!

Funny you should say that .. I’ve been thinking the same with Aria . Purely down to lockdown , wondering if there’s much point bringing her back in. Lots to think about . Come on share your stallion ideas ? I’m torn with another ID stallion , or putting an event stallion on her ?

Abi90

Visit site
Funny you should say that .. I’ve been thinking the same with Aria . Purely down to lockdown , wondering if there’s much point bringing her back in. Lots to think about . Come on share your stallion ideas ? I’m torn with another ID stallion , or putting an event stallion on her ?

I would like to see what would happen if I put her with an ID stallion so Archie is in mind for that.

There is a stunning showjump stallion called Daiquiri at Forrest Sports Horses who has some cool genetics and throws foals with amazing coat colouring. As well as being a nice and talented chap! He did stand at the same stud as Challenge which is how I found out about him

Who are your potentials?

Asha

Visit site
You’d get a cracker with Archie, and very saleable if you wanted to sell .

Torn at the minute , event stallion would be either contendro or Ramiro B . Our Ramiro B youngster is fab . Or I could go completely off piste and go for a dressage stallion . The lady who rides for us is brilliant at dressage , so be nice to breed something for her for the future ?

lme

Visit site
My vet has given me the go ahead to breed from Amber. He is normally a big embryo transfer fan as he really dislikes the idea of breeding from older, broken horses who can't compete anymore! But in her case he says her injury was sheer bad luck, there is no reason to think she will either struggle to carry a foal or pass any weaknesses onto one and she is still young enough too. I have my eye on Ansiei as the stallion. And I am on a yard with foaling boxes and a YO with plenty of experience home breeding as she used to breed her own show jumpers. But I might not. It's a very exciting idea but the reality of it is pretty scary too.

That's good news. Our mare with the same injury is now over 6 months in foal and so far so good. We put her in foal based on advice both from our vet and the Vet at he vet hospital that did her MRI.

irishredwood

Visit site
She thought maybe March or early April. My daughter is busy trying to track down where she was in Ireland earlier last year. It would be great to have an idea of what the stallion may have been. Hopefully not a Shetland! The photo was just after we bought her so no idea she was hiding a secret. We bought her for her quiet nature. Let's hope that doesn't alter after foaling. The downside is my granddaughters plans for Pony Club will have to wait.

Asha

Visit site
She thought maybe March or early April. My daughter is busy trying to track down where she was in Ireland earlier last year. It would be great to have an idea of what the stallion may have been. Hopefully not a Shetland! The photo was just after we bought her so no idea she was hiding a secret. We bought her for her quiet nature. Let's hope that doesn't alter after foaling. The downside is my granddaughters plans for Pony Club will have to wait.

Not long to wait then ! if its any help the mares ive bred from have all been the same temperament in and out of foal. In fact Aria is much nicer when shes not in foal.

Your mare has a very kind face

TheMule

Visit site

She is lovely, good luck! You might get extra lucky and get a mule ?

Asha

Visit site
Hows everyones mares doing ?

I can now say ours is due next month, we have plenty of foal movement too. Ive just started to notice the very start of her muscles slacking off a bit and her udders are pointing down as opposed to inwards, but no bigger , which is good ! Shes definitely feeling the weight of the foal a bit as shes not doing as many acrobatics in the field.

Abi90

Visit site
Rosie is starting to look pregnant and lots of movement if you feel her belly which is very excited. She keeps looking at me as if to say “I don’t know how that got in there, I haven’t been playing around! I haven’t even had a boyfriend”

She’s due in June so a way to go yet. I’ve ordered a bay/black filly so will probably get a greying colt. Nail test says filly though!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Rosie is starting to look pregnant and lots of movement if you feel her belly which is very excited. She keeps looking at me as if to say “I don’t know how that got in there, I haven’t been playing around! I haven’t even had a boyfriend”
haha! I feel a bit bad about that, plotting the next one which will be via AI. poor maiden Salty had real life nookie last time which she didn't enjoy much but at least the whole thing was as nature intended :eek: I always wonder how much they understand, or is it a surprise until labour starts and then suddenly there's a beautiful baby?!

Abi90

Visit site
haha! I feel a bit bad about that, plotting the next one which will be via AI. poor maiden Salty had real life nookie last time which she didn't enjoy much but at least the whole thing was as nature intended :eek: I always wonder how much they understand, or is it a surprise until labour starts and then suddenly there's a beautiful baby?!

I wonder if she knows she’s pregnant? How would she know? Do they get taught the “signs” by their mothers? When the foal is born will she think “what, I didn’t order that?”

Asha

Visit site

She’s due in June so a way to go yet. I’ve ordered a bay/black filly so will probably get a greying colt. Nail test says filly though!

i love this stage. its so exciting. Just watching the foal kick/move .The miracle of life ! So you are only circa 3 mknths away from meeting your foal. exciting

Asha

Visit site

Asha had real nookie the first time,and apparently it was the stallions first time for the real thing too. The stud said afterwards he was exhausted , lay down and went to sleep with a big smile on his face:D:D

Im sure they know whats going on, im also sure the rest of the herd know whats going on too. They all seem to be a little but more conscious of her, if you know what i mean ? For example on bad weather days Pip will push Aria up the queue to come in. She never does that, they all seem much more patient with her too. No one( horse not human !) is allowed to stand next to Finn when they are waiting to come in, but hes even letting Aria stand there now.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Asha had real nookie the first time,and apparently it was the stallions first time for the real thing too. The stud said afterwards he was exhausted , lay down and went to sleep with a big smile on his face:D:D

Im sure they know whats going on, im also sure the rest of the herd know whats going on too. They all seem to be a little but more conscious of her, if you know what i mean ? For example on bad weather days Pip will push Aria up the queue to come in. She never does that, they all seem much more patient with her too. No one( horse not human !) is allowed to stand next to Finn when they are waiting to come in, but hes even letting Aria stand there now.
haha! poor chap, it's a tough life.

Unfortunately Millie did not give Salty any special allowances, she was mostly outraged all winter that Salty got fed and she didn't :p

palo1

Visit site
My vet has given me the go ahead to breed from Amber. He is normally a big embryo transfer fan as he really dislikes the idea of breeding from older, broken horses who can't compete anymore! But in her case he says her injury was sheer bad luck, there is no reason to think she will either struggle to carry a foal or pass any weaknesses onto one and she is still young enough too. I have my eye on Ansiei as the stallion. And I am on a yard with foaling boxes and a YO with plenty of experience home breeding as she used to breed her own show jumpers. But I might not. It's a very exciting idea but the reality of it is pretty scary too.

Lovely stallion choice! :)

QuantockHills

Visit site
We need some good news / positive threads so thought id start a thread to follow any 2021 foals, be nice to share updates/photos etc

We have just the one due. My homebred Aria (who is out of my old ID Asha x Royaldik) is in foal to Avanti Amorous Archie, due date approx 24th April. Ive always wanted a foal from her,so decided to have a go last year as lockdown put paid to any decent outings. After the previous years attempts with 2 other mares,who both failed after 3 attempts i was delighted when she caught first time. Aria definitely didnt enjoy the early stages of pregnancy, and really wanted to kill the youngsters, but fortunately shes calmed down now. The rest of the grown ups in our little herd seem quite protective of her, letting her be brought in first, maybe they know ? Shes getting tired easily, and really enjoys her stable and her food ! We can now just start to see the early signs of foal moving .Exciting times.

First photo from November and other from last outing ?

Anyone else with a foal due ?
How exciting for you!! I love AAA, totally gorgeous! I wanted one of his offspring but came home with a different one from Janet George instead... couldn't resist him!

palo1

Visit site
Ooh glad you think so. He is rather gorgeous! So fingers crossed x

He would have been just right for one of our mares and the owner was really helpful as was the stud at the time (not sure if he has moved recently!). There was very, very little that didn't work in relation to our mare potentially - bless her she needed a good chap to improve on her though we have bred a fabulous horse from her previously (gorgeous Arab stallion that has produced a 17hh whopper with endless stamina and a great jump). Sadly, my OH thought Ansiei was just a bit too small (looking to breed a tall horse for v tall OH & son) and so we tried with another stallion. Sadly that didn't work at all and we lost the mare a bit later :( I will be very interested to hear how you get on :) :)

Asha

Visit site
How exciting for you!! I love AAA, totally gorgeous! I wanted one of his offspring but came home with a different one from Janet George instead... couldn't resist him!

Oohh ... which Indigo do you have ? I also have Indigo Morning star by Archie. Its because shes so lovely i decided to breed another by Archie. It will be like one of those Jeremy Kyle scenes when Pip realises her best friend has been having an affair with her dad :D:D