2022 Foals

Asha

Visit site
I have just found out we are expecting a BOGOF! This mare is the gift that keeps on giving. When I had her vetted in February she had a slight white nasal discharge which the vet assured me was just a slight hay allergy as her strangles blood test was negative. To cut a long story short she swabbed positive for strangles so I obviously had to put the yard into lockdown. She was slightly lean when I got her so I was happy when she put on some weight however this soon turned into a worrying dropped belly although I kept hoping it was because she had foals before. Last week she was scanned and sure enough, she's in foal.

She is a nice little ISH with Clover Hill as a grandsire on the dam side. The person I bought her from only had her two or three weeks and had no idea she was in foal so I had to dig a bit further. I managed to get hold of someone who owns the stallion that covered her. Seemingly she was scanned not in foal and so sold on. The stallion is an unregistered Clydesdale x cob - why, just why! She supposedly should be due in August. The last time I bred a foal was 2009 so I will need to get organised. The owner of the stallion has expressed interest in buying the foal but I don't feel like getting involved with a backyard breeder. The breeding is as far removed from the type of horse I'd choose to breed and the mare will have ended up having at least a year out before being able to do the job she was bought for so it's far from ideal. However, my priority has to be the welfare of the mare and foal, beyond that I really can't think just now.

Good luck to everyone expecting a properly planned foal!

Blimey Charlie .. not what you expected at all . You know HHO love a good BOGOF. Hope all goes well and look forward to your updates ?

Horses_Rule

Visit site
I have just found out we are expecting a BOGOF! This mare is the gift that keeps on giving. When I had her vetted in February she had a slight white nasal discharge which the vet assured me was just a slight hay allergy as her strangles blood test was negative. To cut a long story short she swabbed positive for strangles so I obviously had to put the yard into lockdown. She was slightly lean when I got her so I was happy when she put on some weight however this soon turned into a worrying dropped belly although I kept hoping it was because she had foals before. Last week she was scanned and sure enough, she's in foal.

She is a nice little ISH with Clover Hill as a grandsire on the dam side. The person I bought her from only had her two or three weeks and had no idea she was in foal so I had to dig a bit further. I managed to get hold of someone who owns the stallion that covered her. Seemingly she was scanned not in foal and so sold on. The stallion is an unregistered Clydesdale x cob - why, just why! She supposedly should be due in August. The last time I bred a foal was 2009 so I will need to get organised. The owner of the stallion has expressed interest in buying the foal but I don't feel like getting involved with a backyard breeder. The breeding is as far removed from the type of horse I'd choose to breed and the mare will have ended up having at least a year out before being able to do the job she was bought for so it's far from ideal. However, my priority has to be the welfare of the mare and foal, beyond that I really can't think just now.

Blimey! I can see why it wouldn’t be your desired match but I am sure there will be a brilliant amateur home out there for foal if it isn’t for you, I wouldn’t want to sell back to the breeder either !! Has the vet given any indication as to how far along she is? Fingers crossed for a safe and sound foaling so you can get your mare back!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My friend rang me on April fools day she keeps her horses next door to me she has 6 there on livery, I say to her you ok, she says not really just turned up at the yard and Nellie has had a foal!!

She bought a pony mare from some Gypsies last year for her kids, the pony was only 4 or 5 not done much, well she cracks on with her kids start jumping her and is turning into a really nice pony, she did say to while back that she had a bit of a belly and was a strange shape.

She gave birth all on her own in her stable and he is a cracking piebald colt really bold and already eating mums feed and hay.

I will try and get some pictures posted but it wouldn't let me do it last week.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site

Same thing happened to me in 2019 I just discovered a foal in the stables one morning I got the shock of my life. Never found out who the stallion was . You’re lucky to find out before it happened because you can watch the mare foaling and make sure she safe.

TheMule

Visit site

???

What on earth?!! Poor little thing, and poor you, what a crap situation

EventingMum

Visit site
Blimey! I can see why it wouldn’t be your desired match but I am sure there will be a brilliant amateur home out there for foal if it isn’t for you, I wouldn’t want to sell back to the breeder either !! Has the vet given any indication as to how far along she is? Fingers crossed for a safe and sound foaling so you can get your mare back!

The vet feels August would be quite likely. She used a rectal probe when she was here, the foal is lying very low down so she wasn't able to get a great view, she may bring an abdominal scanner next time. Luckily she's had a lot of repo experience having done it for 15 years in Australia. The thing that seems problematic is dealing with the mare if she is a strangles carrier as she will need deep sedation when treated if she is which is not great for the foal but allowing her to give birth without treating risks the foal. There seems to be no documented precedence for what to do. All fingers are crossed that her guttural pouch wash doesn't show any chondroids.

Squeak

Visit site
The vet feels August would be quite likely. She used a rectal probe when she was here, the foal is lying very low down so she wasn't able to get a great view, she may bring an abdominal scanner next time. Luckily she's had a lot of repo experience having done it for 15 years in Australia. The thing that seems problematic is dealing with the mare if she is a strangles carrier as she will need deep sedation when treated if she is which is not great for the foal but allowing her to give birth without treating risks the foal. There seems to be no documented precedence for what to do. All fingers are crossed that her guttural pouch wash doesn't show any chondroids.

What a pain to have to unexpectedly deal with all of that. Isn’t Mulrys error part shire/ cob/ Clydesdale? Maybe you could have an eventing superstar on your hands yet!

nagblagger

Visit site
EM a shock, an inconvenience, an expense etc etc - but aren't you a little excited ?

I had similar situation 2 years ago, bought a lean cob mare, but after a few weeks (at 2nd vaccination) i insisted on a pregnancy check so i could increase workload as she started to put weight on but wanted to rule out the other cause. After initial shock i was quite excited...

EventingMum

Visit site
EM a shock, an inconvenience, an expense etc etc - but aren't you a little excited ?

I had similar situation 2 years ago, bought a lean cob mare, but after a few weeks (at 2nd vaccination) i insisted on a pregnancy check so i could increase workload as she started to put weight on but wanted to rule out the other cause. After initial shock i was quite excited...

We are slightly excited, I hope the foal will take after the mare as she is very nice. I have told the mare she needs to foal before Blair or she'll really upset me if I can't go. Something like Mulrys Error would be nice!

chaps89

Visit site

I don’t know, it has the potential to be a very odd foal but also quite a nice one - a sports cob/slightly heavier set flashier horse. Fingers crossed for you that you get the latter, it must have been quite disappointing for you I’m sure.

EventingMum

Visit site
I don’t know, it has the potential to be a very odd foal but also quite a nice one - a sports cob/slightly heavier set flashier horse. Fingers crossed for you that you get the latter, it must have been quite disappointing for you I’m sure.
I have a rather nice 16.1hh coloured sports cob at present and I keep saying that something like him would be my hope for the foal!

Asha

Visit site
One Mare 327 Days, looks like she has eaten a hippo though only just starting to bag up.
other mare, accident prone idiot, 308 days, looks tiny in comparison, hoping I have not bred a 13.2hh jumping pony!

???
My mare is now 324 days , and like yours is looking on the larger side now ! We have a small bag at night now , so will have to get her caslick removed soon .
It’s getting exciting isn’t it ?

TheMule

Visit site
Creeping ever closer- starting to get a bit excited!
Got @LEC mare on 300 days who has quite a small, neat bump but she is doing well with making a bit of udder. The other mare is 280 days and quite sizeable. Ideally we'd like the baby sizes the other way round!

Last edited:

Horses_Rule

Visit site
I rechecked my dates with the stud a few days ago and realised one is now 330 today and the other is 322 now! Panic ! The 320 still has small bag but is maiden so shes off to stud next weekend to foal - rather she was there being an inexperienced mate and vets around literally 5 mins away! The older lady who is 330 is showing no signs at all just is like a walking beachball! Not long now guys safe foaling for all please ??

Asha

Visit site
Creeping ever closer- starting to get a bit excited!
Got @LEC mare on 300 days who has quite a small, neat bump but she is doing well with making a bit of udder. The other mare is 280 days and quite sizeable. Ideally we'd like the baby sizes the other way round

sshhhh.. you know what happens when you openly admit to any preferences with foals ???

Horses_Rule

Visit site
Well here we go, panic starting! Big girl has lost mucus plug at 331 days today! Although no other signs really of imminent foaling. No real bag to speak of , back end and vulva as normal so hopefully just a false start ??‍♀️ Would like another week please! I have asked her to keep her legs crossed although she is resembling the size of a large marine mammal ?

Ahrena

Visit site
Can I join?
I’m a first time breeder with my maiden mare. Had her since she was 4. She’s now 13 and at 319 days.
She’s always been a bit streamlined and determined to keep her super model figure but starting to bag up now so I’m starting to get excited!

Attachments

• 2D11F92E-7CAA-476F-A80E-CFB2B3F6A3AB.jpeg
    2D11F92E-7CAA-476F-A80E-CFB2B3F6A3AB.jpeg
    835.6 KB · Views: 41

ihatework

Visit site
Can I join?
I’m a first time breeder with my maiden mare. Had her since she was 4. She’s now 13 and at 319 days.
She’s always been a bit streamlined and determined to keep her super model figure but starting to bag up now so I’m starting to get excited!

Lovely mare. What is her breeding and who has she gone to?

Asha

Visit site
as we hit day 328 ive just booked the vet to come and remove the caslick. I was intending to leave this until end of next week. But, shes progressing a bit faster than expected, and certainly faster than last year. We have a fair bag by the morning, with milk spots, and back end relaxing and a partial bag after being out on the field for the day. I dont think shes imminent , but id rather not chance a weekend call out to remove it. Maybe the good weather is having an impact ?

TheMule

Visit site
as we hit day 328 ive just booked the vet to come and remove the caslick. I was intending to leave this until end of next week. But, shes progressing a bit faster than expected, and certainly faster than last year. We have a fair bag by the morning, with milk spots, and back end relaxing and a partial bag after being out on the field for the day. I dont think shes imminent , but id rather not chance a weekend call out to remove it. Maybe the good weather is having an impact ?

I have a friend with a mare on 350days who has looked ready for a week ??

Asha

Visit site
I have a friend with a mare on 350days who has looked ready for a week ??

I bet your friend is shattered ! Fingers crossed foal arrives soon .

It i go by the time Aria had her foal last year, this one should be due 10th May, so 347 days. I cant see it happening soon, but stranger things have happened

Horses_Rule

Visit site
Definitely think the weather is making a difference! My maiden is more bagged again but she’s only 326 today so praying her to hold on another week or so!

TigerTail

Visit site
My maiden mare on day 353 ??‍♀️? I only have a week of leave left and she’s no closer to look at than she was two weeks ago!!! Small amount of udder development that goes down by tea time but no relaxation at the back.

We now have a nasty east wind so no doubt that will put her off a bit longer to boot.

ihatework

Visit site
My maiden mare on day 353 ??‍♀️? I only have a week of leave left and she’s no closer to look at than she was two weeks ago!!! Small amount of udder development that goes down by tea time but no relaxation at the back.

We now have a nasty east wind so no doubt that will put her off a bit longer to boot.

I remember that agony of waiting on an overdue maiden!!
If it helps mine went from no real strong indicators to baby on ground within 12 hours