2023 Foals

DressageCob

Visit site
I mentioned elsewhere getting a foal. Well, after thinking about it some more and speaking to his breeder I decided getting a foal wasn’t fair, because we don’t have youngstock here so he’d have to be in an older herd.

Instead I got two 😄 his little mate he’s been with since day 1 came with him in the lorry from Ireland. They are now settled and out with an older gelding who is being the perfect father figure.

IMG_8030.jpeg

IMG_8214.jpeg

IMG_7955.jpegIMG_7966.jpeg

DressageCob

Visit site
That is an excellent idea @DressageCob
You definitely need to tell us more about them!

They are Cairnview cobs. The bigger one is called Newton. I'm hoping he will make 15.2+. His sire is related to my current horse (the one in my profile), who I would clone if I had the pennies! if he moves anything like my lad as a grown up I will be chuffed. He has big paces as a baby.

The little one is my bonus buy. His passport name is Navajo but he has been stable named Isaac, so we have Isaac and Newton 😂 His dad is a spotty cob. He was bright orange when he was born but he's now a lovely liver chestnut. He's a feisty little chap. Quite opinionated already. He's warier of people than Newton (Newton likes a cuddle and rests his chin on my shoulder, whereas Isaac isn't sure about being touched) but he's quite brave with situations. He can really move, in a proper gypsy trotter sort of way. Really high step.

You can look them up on Facebook to see the baby versions.

They are both just settling in at the moment. They got a great start at the breeder on weaning, but obviously they aren't as handled as foals who have lived in with mum etc. I'm delighted with them. The big lad is one of the riding school horses (not mine) and he's the best foster dad. He seems to be enjoying the job, especially the extra food it comes with 😂

IMG_8496.jpg

SilverLinings

Visit site
I'm sure I could find a reason I do need one, but I mustn't get one 🤣

Fortunately my current horses are geldings so there is no temptation to breed, I just have to resist seeing suitable foals up for sale! If owned a house with land I wouldn't be resisting though...

DressageCob

Visit site
Both of my foals have removed their headcollars now. They will both let me stroke them and groom them in the field but as soon as I make a bid to put a headcollar on they are off 😄 If anyone has any strategies they can recommend, I'm all ears!

Marigold4

Visit site
Both of my foals have removed their headcollars now. They will both let me stroke them and groom them in the field but as soon as I make a bid to put a headcollar on they are off 😄 If anyone has any strategies they can recommend, I'm all ears!
Could you herd them into a stable?

DressageCob

Visit site
Could you herd them into a stable?
Unfortunately no. The stables are a bit of a walk away and there wouldn't be a safe way of doing it. I'm planning to build a pen to herd them into so they can only get a couple of metres away rather than a few acres 😂 That said, most of the time they only move away just enough to avoid having the head collar on, rather than going galloping off into the distance.

Marigold4

Visit site
Unfortunately no. The stables are a bit of a walk away and there wouldn't be a safe way of doing it. I'm planning to build a pen to herd them into so they can only get a couple of metres away rather than a few acres 😂 That said, most of the time they only move away just enough to avoid having the head collar on, rather than going galloping off into the distance.
One of my two foals is tricky like this but I can get her into a stable and put it on there. The other way that has worked with her is a bowl of food to take mind off the headcollar. I crouch down while she's eating (so I'm less threatening) and put on with her head in the bowl.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I take some
Electric fence and give them a feed near the gate whilst they are eating I put the fence up (with help of necessary) behind them - they are now in a small area . If I still can’t catch the minxes I walk the fence closer to them a post at a time … until they are basically in a stable sized fence box … i can then catch them fairly straight forwardly

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
How big are everyone's foals now and how big do you expect them to make? Mine is about 14.2 (bum a little higher) at 9 months old and a Dutch warmblood.

shanebelton

Visit site
How big are everyone's foals now and how big do you expect them to make? Mine is about 14.2 (bum a little higher) at 9 months old and a Dutch warmblood.
In the least scientific way possible... Ana is mid chest height (to me) and I'm 185cm, so somewhere around 14/14.2... ish x holst to be about 16.2. She dropped weight at weaning but has gone through a growth spurt since Christmas also 9 months old now

DressageCob

Visit site
I have no idea! I am bringing them in from the field tomorrow so maybe I will try to measure them. I would guess the big one is around 14hh and the little one more like 13hh. The big one is supposed to make 15.3+ and the little one 15hh.

Attachments

• deaac846cfa46fb93338b5e7b2552dc5005243a9c998c8acab1cb6eb1988033e - instasize.jpg
    deaac846cfa46fb93338b5e7b2552dc5005243a9c998c8acab1cb6eb1988033e - instasize.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 24

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
I have no idea! I am bringing them in from the field tomorrow so maybe I will try to measure them. I would guess the big one is around 14hh and the little one more like 13hh. The big one is supposed to make 15.3+ and the little one 15hh.
Yes mine is supposed to make 15.3/16h, but he's already 14.2ish at 9 months old. His grandparents are more near the 16.3/17h mark though 🙈

Titchy Pony

Visit site
Mylo has been gelded. All went fine. Standing sedation yesterday and already back out in the field. Next step weaning...... Wish me luck!
Good luck!
Quick question, are there any studies about the effects of age of gelding on horses? In particular long term effects? It might be quite useful for me to know depending on if/what Little Madam pops out next year.

Asha

Visit site
Good luck!
Quick question, are there any studies about the effects of age of gelding on horses? In particular long term effects? It might be quite useful for me to know depending on if/what Little Madam pops out next year.

The only thing ive heard of is the sooner done, the more growth you can get .

Mine have been between 5-10 months. Id say the one that healed the fastest /easiest was Rustle who was still on his mum. The others hadnt dropped so had to wait a bit longer.

Rocky is 8 months, weaned and doing well but only has 1 ball at the moment. Everyone who has met him has said i should leave him entire., but i dont have any desire to handle a stallion. I have had a reputable stud approach asking if i kept him entire and if i would be willing to sell they would be interested. Which is lovely to hear, but Rocky being Rocky probably wont drop the other ball and will be destined to be a gelding. Which im more than happy with as hes such a super star.

Glad the gelding went well AE

Titchy Pony

Visit site
The only thing ive heard of is the sooner done, the more growth you can get .

Mine have been between 5-10 months. Id say the one that healed the fastest /easiest was Rustle who was still on his mum. The others hadnt dropped so had to wait a bit longer.

Rocky is 8 months, weaned and doing well but only has 1 ball at the moment. Everyone who has met him has said i should leave him entire., but i dont have any desire to handle a stallion. I have had a reputable stud approach asking if i kept him entire and if i would be willing to sell they would be interested. Which is lovely to hear, but Rocky being Rocky probably wont drop the other ball and will be destined to be a gelding. Which im more than happy with as hes such a super star.

Glad the gelding went well AE
Thanks for your reply. Around here, is not really heard of to castrate so young. A friend bought a 1 and half year old gelding and he's considered a bit of an oddity. Most leave at least till 2 or 3 years old. I must say, younger is definitely tempting as I own 2 mares and it would make life so much easier to castrate early if I end up with a colt, but I wouldn't want it to negatively impact the horse.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Healing is quicker the younger they are as there is a lot less to remove and there is less bloody supply, so a lot less bleeding. It is also felt nicer to do it while he was still on Amber so he could have comfort milk afterwards or if it’s sore. He was totally unbothered by the whole thing.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I usually did mine as yearlings. One very cheeky boy was done while still on mum. His testicles were tiny, I had to hold them while the vet clamped them and there wasn't much to hold. Had another that had to wait till two as he only had one at a year. They all recovered equally well including my stallion who was done at 14.

JBM

Visit site
Cosmo is about 9 months no idea what size he is
The bay mare in last picture is penni his mum she’s only 14hh no idea on his dad tho

Attachments

• 4DB115F6-47E7-4C86-AAA7-F0FC0FEFBC4E.jpeg
    4DB115F6-47E7-4C86-AAA7-F0FC0FEFBC4E.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 3363EED8-9131-4958-86AD-44F6E019BF7F.jpeg
    3363EED8-9131-4958-86AD-44F6E019BF7F.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 7B8FEFAC-32C0-412C-8343-944653FF4616.jpeg
    7B8FEFAC-32C0-412C-8343-944653FF4616.jpeg
    575.3 KB · Views: 14