2023 Foals

Bluewaves

Visit site
I like Aspire Beach Bonfire that CC posted in her list of names.
Or Bonfire on the Beach if you want to turn it around!

But yeah, Sox on the Beach is a cracking name.

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
It’s been a minute, summer has been hectic! Kennie is growing like a weed! Such a friendly little filly and ever so confident/calm. Registered name is also in memory of my dad Ken “Kenwood Be Happy” he would be more than happy, he would be over the moon 💛IMG_7232.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4958.jpeg
    IMG_4958.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 67

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Ok the name is........

Sox on The Beach!

I saw Irish Milo's new horse, realised hes a chesnut with white socks with 'sand' in the stallions name and is looking for a name. I was about to suggest Sox on the Beach! But then thought nooooo I'd be gutted if that name got taken. Made me realise I definitely want to name Mylo that.

I did not seriousy consider it at first but I kept coming back to it as the cleverest, funniest and most apt name for him.

FInal decision is just whether I ditch the Aspire Prefix as that's a bit of a mouthful.

So welcome to your new name Sox On The Beach!

small 3.jpgsmall 2.jpgsmall.jpg

Asha

Visit site
I had to look back to see who first suggested that. Not sure if you were joking but thanks Asha!!

Nope wasn’t joking ! Just popped laughing emoji on because I thought it was funny 😄 I do like funny names . We chose Flat out Frank for one of ours as it just suited him .

Proper chuffed you’ve gone with it 🤩

ihatework

Visit site
Farrier and vet coming tomorrow to fit a medial hoof extension Really hoping that works as the next step is a much more invasive knee staple type thing! Yikes.

Just for my own interest/learning is there a reason they aren’t considering cast?

What does a knee staple do? I’ve know foals have a small screw on one side to slow growth one way to allow growth and straightening on the other side - similar concept?

Reactions: tda

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Just for my own interest/learning is there a reason they aren’t considering cast?

What does a knee staple do? I’ve know foals have a small screw on one side to slow growth one way to allow growth and straightening on the other side - similar concept?

Sorry missed this question.
The staple was meant to stop one side growing. But in fact they have not done that. They have given Oxytet, a muscle relaxant, as tendons are contracted as he is growing too fast. So he is on tiptoes. Also regular trimming to take the heels down. And maybe a staple and or medial hoof extension later. No one has mentioned a cast. I can ask though.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Foal Update on our 2023 filly. Here she is enjoying stretching her legs in the field. Her little foal playmate arrives in 3 weeks' time so soon she'll have someone to gallop around with. If you click on the first word "foal", there's a video attached.
Oh wow, I would get nothing done if she were in my fields

ihatework

Visit site
Sorry missed this question.
The staple was meant to stop one side growing. But in fact they have not done that. They have given Oxytet, a muscle relaxant, as tendons are contracted as he is growing too fast. So he is on tiptoes. Also regular trimming to take the heels down. And maybe a staple and or medial hoof extension later. No one has mentioned a cast. I can ask though.

That makes sense, didn’t realise he had contracted tendons, they will want those sorted before looking at the limb deviations

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Ok, weaning!?!

Thinking ahead as Kennie is still only 3m.

She is out with Amber and two other youngsters who are already weaned…

Do I try and soft wean? Is it horrendous? Does it prolong the stress or make it easier by ramping up the time apart? I’ve read for and against for both methods and watched the recent webinar from FEI. Does anyone has any positive or negative experiences of Soft Weaning?

Marigold4

Visit site
Ok, weaning!?!

Thinking ahead as Kennie is still only 3m.

She is out with Amber and two other youngsters who are already weaned…

Do I try and soft wean? Is it horrendous? Does it prolong the stress or make it easier by ramping up the time apart? I’ve read for and against for both methods and watched the recent webinar from FEI. Does anyone has any positive or negative experiences of Soft Weaning?
I think it would be better to start a new thread on this. I would certainly be interested in any replies as am facing same issue. It might be a bit hidden away here on this thread on 2023 foals.

shanebelton

Visit site
At just over 4 months old, Ana went on her first trip this week, to the Northern Ireland Horse Board foal show, stood to be plaited, loaded and travelled like a pro. Behaved really well there (loved to show off in front of an audience) and was placed third in the eventing class, delighted as more than 40 foals there :)

Attachments

• Compress_20230902_084149_9414.jpg
    Compress_20230902_084149_9414.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 63
  • Compress_20230902_084149_9649.jpg
    Compress_20230902_084149_9649.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 62