2023 Foals

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
I usually did mine as yearlings. One very cheeky boy was done while still on mum. His testicles were tiny, I had to hold them while the vet clamped them and there wasn't much to hold. Had another that had to wait till two as he only had one at a year. They all recovered equally well including my stallion who was done at 14.
How do you know if they've dropped yet? I can't see anything on mine and think he'd strongly object if I tried to cop a feel 🙈 Don't want to call vet out and sedate to then find nothing, or only one is there!

Reactions: JBM

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I got Mylo used to being handled all over, incuding 'there'. He did not react any differently to me copping a quick feel than if I tickle his belly or mess about with his ears. I checked before calling vet, then got the YO who is also a farmer to double check so I did not waste time and money if he wasn't ready.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Mylo has been weaned and Amber temporarily moved off the yard as I think Mylo will find it easier to not be able to hear her. He's 8 months old and more than ready. And he has settled really quickly but I feel so protective and sad! He called for about 30 minutes after she left but then settled. She called a few times then seemed fine. He will stay in for 48 hours or so with buddies either side, then go out. Just so he does not immediately jump out and go looking for her. Big grown up boy.

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Mylo has been weaned and Amber temporarily moved off the yard as I think Mylo will find it easier to not be able to hear her. He's 8 months old and more than ready. And he has settled really quickly but I feel so protective and sad! He called for about 30 minutes after she left but then settled. She called a few times then seemed fine. He will stay in for 48 hours or so with buddies either side, then go out. Just so he does not immediately jump out and go looking for her. Big grown up boy.
How's he doing now it's been a few days?

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
How big are everyone's foals now and how big do you expect them to make? Mine is about 14.2 (bum a little higher) at 9 months old and a Dutch warmblood.
Mine is 13.2hh at 9 months and 13.3/14hh bum high. Also KWPN but mum and dad are both 16hh. Hoping she will be 15.2hh as mums first foal. No idea if she will get to height, string test says 15.1hh but not accurate until 1 year ☺️

Reactions: JBM

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Mine is 13.2hh at 9 months and 13.3/14hh bum high. Also KWPN but mum and dad are both 16hh. Hoping she will be 15.2hh as mums first foal. No idea if she will get to height, string test says 15.1hh but not accurate until 1 year ☺️
Ooh heck. Mine has 15.3/16h parents too. He's not his mum's first foal though, but he is his dad's first. Hoping he doesn't get too big, as his grandparents are around 16.3/17h

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience as to whether or not gelding a colt calms down the play fighting behaviour a little? I don't expect it to stop him playing completely, as he's a baby at the end of the day. But I'm hoping it'll make him less rough and relentless with my 9yr old lead rein gelding.

Asha

Visit site
Has anyone had any experience as to whether or not gelding a colt calms down the play fighting behaviour a little? I don't expect it to stop him playing completely, as he's a baby at the end of the day. But I'm hoping it'll make him less rough and relentless with my 9yr old lead rein gelding.

no, hes a baby and will play . he needs a suitable companion before someone gets hurt

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

Maybe it could, but young male horses, are young male horses. They play. They play fight. They throw shapes and legs everywhere. Some are a bit more playful than others, but the best thing is to get them an appropriate companion.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sometimes gelding helps we would turn same age colts out together and you Sometimes got one that was too rough and relentless, so then they are removed from the field or gelded if they were really that bad as the stud liked to keep most entire until sold.

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
no, hes a baby and will play . he needs a suitable companion before someone gets hurt
He's in with my other youngish horse who is a good firm, but fair disciplinarian for him. Would have just been nice for him to have a playmate too, as colt and pony do get on well. He just gets a bit too much so I took the pony out today and put him in the next door paddock. Although they just stood next to each other by the gate most the day sulking 🤦🏼‍♀️ (colt was with my other horse)