2024 Foals

Asha

Visit site
Hows everyones broodies doing ?

Pip is grand, and only has a small bag so Rocky clearly isnt drinking much, will be thinking of weaning him Jan time so she can have some peace before the next one arrives. Aria ( no foal at foot ) is blinking huge, now im hoping thats just because its her 3rd foal and not that shes cooking another monster size foal. We picked a connie stallion so we could reduce the size . Best laid plans and all..

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
My new mare is due in May 2024. She only arrived home with me on Thursday, and is very poor, but time and proper care will hopefully fix that. Stallion used was Malegro, who's down from Negro on his dam's side. There's no recorded breeding for my mare, but I think she looks quite refined under all of the neglect. Her stable name is Lass, and she's six years old :)

412990407_3721703011429986_4281020319051084125_n.jpg

TheMule

Visit site
My new mare is due in May 2024. She only arrived home with me on Thursday, and is very poor, but time and proper care will hopefully fix that. Stallion used was Malegro, who's down from Negro on his dam's side. There's no recorded breeding for my mare, but I think she looks quite refined under all of the neglect. Her stable name is Lass, and she's six years old :)

View attachment 131005

Oh goodness, poor thing- how can people let them get into this kind of state, especially when pregnant?
I didn’t realize Malegro was still around, his (previous?) owner was an….. interesting….. character

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Oh goodness, poor thing- how can people let them get into this kind of state, especially when pregnant?
I didn’t realize Malegro was still around, his (previous?) owner was an….. interesting….. character
I don't know much about Malegro at all, but from what I can gather, he was sold to someone in Ireland at some point in 2021 or 2022. Is there anything that I should be aware of regarding him? PM me if you prefer.

Lass has really been through it, poor girl. She's such a sweet natured mare too :(

TheMule

Visit site
I don't know much about Malegro at all, but from what I can gather, he was sold to someone in Ireland at some point in 2021 or 2022. Is there anything that I should be aware of regarding him? PM me if you prefer.

Lass has really been through it, poor girl. She's such a sweet natured mare too :(
I don’t remember many specifics, but a quick Google search linked to her name will give you some info. I don’t think there was anything particularly wrong with the stallion, beyond a bit of ‘optimistic’ promotion

blitznbobs

Visit site
My broody is thin - she always was and is - she gets as much haylege as she can eat (Somerford’s first cut which a lot of people refer to as rocket fuel) and a pile of meadow hay in her stable as well just in case she prefers that. she has had a full vet work up to check her out prior to putting her in foal. She unfortunately had to have surgery on her back due to a small tumour so vets have said do not rug her so rugs have had to be removed. She gets 3 stubb scoops of stud nuts a day (baileys number 3) as she won’t eat a mix of any type along with a scoop of micronised linseed on top- she rarely eats all her hard feed but it is permeantly in her stable when she is in. She is in every night and out all day in a herd - She has had several worm counts (all low or zero) , been wormed for encysted reds and had all the vaccinations including herpes she should have had and been seen by a farrier ever 6 weeks and a vet at least every 8 weeks and an independent nutritionist twice… she is still thin … but thin horses are not always a product of neglect.

TheMule

Visit site
My broody is thin - she always was and is - she gets as much haylege as she can eat (Somerford’s first cut which a lot of people refer to as rocket fuel) and a pile of meadow hay in her stable as well just in case she prefers that. she has had a full vet work up to check her out prior to putting her in foal. She unfortunately had to have surgery on her back due to a small tumour so vets have said do not rug her so rugs have had to be removed. She gets 3 stubb scoops of stud nuts a day (baileys number 3) as she won’t eat a mix of any type along with a scoop of micronised linseed on top- she rarely eats all her hard feed but it is permeantly in her stable when she is in. She is in every night and out all day in a herd - She has had several worm counts (all low or zero) , been wormed for encysted reds and had all the vaccinations including herpes she should have had and been seen by a farrier ever 6 weeks and a vet at least every 8 weeks and an independent nutritionist twice… she is still thin … but thin horses are not always a product of neglect.

I’m not sure this is very relevant in response to my comments, given the post I was replying to mentioned the mare was suffering due to neglect?

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’m not sure this is very relevant in response to my comments, given the post I was replying to mentioned the mare was suffering due to neglect?
You said you couldn’t understand how anyone could let a horse get in that state … I was saying it’s not always a choice…

blitznbobs

Visit site

Attachments

• IMG_4405.jpeg
    IMG_4405.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
How come she came to you?

My girl in photo - weird photo as it’s a still from a video of her loading
She doesn't look poor though she is just slim she doesn't look neglected at all.

Kitten in the tree's mare looks poor like through neglect.

They have a certain look about them when they have not been fed and cared or properly.

Asha

Visit site
Aria is now 301 days, shes looking well and foal is a wriggler. Shes finally moving into the lovebug phase and wants lots of cuddles. Her behaviour has been quite different to her last foal ( colt) so we are guessing Filly. Due date based on previous foaling is 21st April. Pip is most certainly happier pregnant this time, maybe everything is a bit more stretched and comfy, but we are betting filly with her too. Ive had someone register their interest for Pips foal already if its a filly, so fingers crossed we are right ! shes due ( again based on last years foaling date ) 21st June

Hows everyone elses mare doing ?

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Lass is due in May, and has expanded to the point that, if I were still rugging her*, absolutely nothing in her wardrobe would fit her. Despite this change in size, she flatly refuses to be anything other than wholly elegant at all times.

*Don't worry, I'm not rugging her at this point! I had to when she first arrived, as it was freezing cold and she had no body fat left. She's now lean as opposed to emaciated, and has grown a decent coat too :)

Asha

Visit site
Aria has hit 327 days today, so if she goes to her normal, thats 19 days to go. So builder arrives shortly to take the partition out so we have a nice big foaling box, straw has arrived. Just need to book the vets to remove the caslick now
Pip is 272 days, so about another 70-80 days to go for her.
Not planning on putting any in foal this year, so will be our last for a bit.