2nd New Forum Weekend Plans :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh wow! how exciting. Salty's passport was AWOL when I bought her ... at the sales... where they surely should have the requisite paperwork :rolleyes:

well, in that case you'll have to do her own thread when she's all signed and sealed ;)

claracanter

Visit site
I'm going to a jumping clinic tomorrow and then doing combined training on Sunday. Last time I posted on here about going cubbing my horse got injured so I'm hoping nothing untoward happens this weekend

rosiesowner

Visit site
Hope everyone has had fun with their weekends so far... Felt a little bit worse for wear today with the awful weather and the fact that I was out last night for the first time since Christmas! BUT... had so much fun and it was nice to just relax and have a dance :)
Having happy hacked these past couple of weeks as the weather has been too beautiful and the ground too good not to, I was a bit apprehensive about heading back into the school. But I think all the hacking and building her base fitness after our break has done her good. So after being forced into the indoor by the torrential rain, we had a nice 20 mins. Tomorrow should be some loading practice.

Apologies if attached photo from today is massive!43203010_1069305106562469_2016179277921255424_o.jpg

Wheels

Visit site
What a great day at the CPD event with Sue Dyson. She is amazing.

It was one of the best talks I've ever been to. Lots of videos and photos of how to spot subtle lameness and what behaviours to look out for.

Quite a lot of take home messages, a few things that stand out include that just watching the horse it is not possible to identify which joint of the limb is in difficulty, I see many posts on here where someone will say it looks like a hock lameness or whatever but the way in which the joints all flex together actually makes it impossible to tell just from a video.

Another interesting thing was to watch Sue's videos and her live commentary whilst they were on which gives such an additional insight to the YouTube vids. She could point out each little thing she watches out for and what that might indicate.

She also made it clear that some very subtle lameness that doesn't upset the horse does not mean that the horse shouldn't be worked, whereas if the horse is showing signs of being unhappy in their work then that is a different story.

claracanter

Visit site
I'm going to a jumping clinic tomorrow and then doing combined training on Sunday. Last time I posted on here about going cubbing my horse got injured so I'm hoping nothing untoward happens this weekend
Ok...so... I'm not reporting on here again!!!! Fell off at the jumping clinic and am hobbling around in some degree of agony, sore hip, back etc. I won't be riding for a few days now and am planning a trip to the chiropractor on Monday.

milliepops

Visit site
She also made it clear that some very subtle lameness that doesn't upset the horse does not mean that the horse shouldn't be worked, whereas if the horse is showing signs of being unhappy in their work then that is a different story.

that's interesting to hear because she has a reputation for coming across a bit the other way, and writing off horses that appear to be Ok in their work. I think very few horses would be totally level if you looked closely enough, god knows most people are a bit squiffy for various reasons... definitely have to be very attentive to the horse's welfare though.

Wheels

Visit site
that's interesting to hear because she has a reputation for coming across a bit the other way, and writing off horses that appear to be Ok in their work. I think very few horses would be totally level if you looked closely enough, god knows most people are a bit squiffy for various reasons... definitely have to be very attentive to the horse's welfare though.

Yes she does have that reputation but maybe it's unfounded! Or maybe she sees things that others don't. She did say yesterday that she had got very frustrated in the past because riders, trainers, some vets could not spot lameness and therefore assumed that unwanted ridden issues were behavioural because they could not identify a physical issue yet when she nerve blocked the same horse the behaviour disappeared. This was why she developed the two algorithms on the horses facial expressions and (I believe) more importantly the horses general way of going to help people identify whether the horse may be in pain and then investigate further even if lameness has not been identified. There are 20 or so behaviours that she identified as potentially pain related - if the horse exhibits 8 or more of these then highly likely it is in pain. So if the horse shows the sclera of the eye for more than 5 seconds, swishes the tail regularly and sometimes open it's mouth then that may not mean pain (although don't rule it out) but if the horse does those things plus sometimes goes disunited in canter, sticks it's tongue out, bucks from time to time, goes overbent for more than 5 seconds at a time then that would require further investigation - even if the vet had deemed the horse sound - get a 2nd opinion or 3rd or 4th...

milliepops

Visit site
sounds like a really interesting talk, and a very pragmatic approach. Thanks for sharing :) I have seen trainers address what turned out to be physical issues as though they were training problems, but in fairness when something is so subtle and/or bilateral then it's completely understandable - if owners present you with horses which you look at through the prism of training solutions then they are only doing their job. I do think owners can be in the best position to make these kinds of *initial* judgements about whether something is likely pain or likely behaviour because we know our horses best, we see the tiny giveaway moments that can help to figure it out. But that depends on really having your eyes open I guess, and then having very skilled and trustworthy professionals on both sides to help you investigate a hunch. How often do you see posts on here saying the horses is off but the vet says it's fine... the owner knows... food for thought.

Wheels

Visit site
Agreed, owners are best placed but also sometimes blind! There were a lot of trainers and coaches there yesterday that found it very eye opening and said they feel, based on yesterday's talk, that they probably have pushed clients horses on when they maybe shouldn't. All professional horse people have a responsibility for welfare.

milliepops

Visit site
Agreed, owners are best placed but also sometimes blind! There were a lot of trainers and coaches there yesterday that found it very eye opening and said they feel, based on yesterday's talk, that they probably have pushed clients horses on when they maybe shouldn't. All professional horse people have a responsibility for welfare.
definitely, and that's a very honest response on their part :)

Reacher

Visit site
I'm just having lessons at home with the big cob this weekend. Jumping on Saturday and flat on Sunday. The benefits of stabling at a riding school!

My little cob was moved to Leahurst on Tuesday and was supposed to have surgery today to remove his eye. However, there is a possibility of corneal cross linking at a hospital in Penrith, so he might be moving there tomorrow for the day, standing surgery under sedation. He would then travel back to Leahurst the same day since there isn't stabling at the other place. I'm just waiting to hear with my fingers crossed!
Just worked out how to quote... fingers crossed for your little cob. For future reference, can I ask which is the hospital at Penrith ?

Reacher

Visit site
Hope you enjoyed your hen do MP!
Hope you are recovering from man flu Dabdab.
Congratulations on the new arrival Pippity.
Good luck to everyone competing. I’m being a bit idle this weekend, well I had XC training session yesterday, was feeling a bit wimpy after falling off last weekend and we stuck to small jumps and working on control. By the end we jumped a small but rather spooky looking tiger trap that I didn’t like the look of and was worried about a refusal but mr H had no thoughts of refusals.
Today went for a hack and rode around a nearby moor (a marsh really) where I’ve not been for years as it seemed impassable- it has some new paths which are a wooden raised walkway over the marsh (it is an official bridlepath) - I was going to turn back when I got to this point but mr H strode out along the wooden walkway! Not sure it is very safe though for horses. Mr H seemed to enjoy exploring

Wheels

Visit site
Well that was fun, SJ training show, first time we have jumped in a good few weeks and it showed... but double clear in the 70s even though we had a couple of dodgy strides then M got a bit too quick in the 80s and had a couple down then I somehow managed to lose my way twice...

Oh well, that's what these training shows are all about!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Hope you're feeling better soon, CC!! Also sounds like an interesting talk, Wheels. Hope you had fun at your hen MP and thanks for the kind words DabDab. :D

Mum just had a go at towing for the first time (without Chill). All in all she did a pretty good job! And we had our fab friend who knows her stuff in the front seat to give her a few pointers.

Gratuitous glamour shot-which will probably upload as some stupidly massive mega sized pic for some reason-attached below because why the hell not when we've waited so many years to have this :D
43308184_305368156715561_5816842146489040896_n.jpg

live2ride

Visit site
Well today didn’t go to plan, was meant to be our first foray into competitions.

Just a little local UA dressage, after having had the entire summer off ridden work for a sarcoid under the saddle.

Get to yard this morning to bring in to plait and get ready, to be greeted by a bleeding nose, grazed forehead and slightly caved in skull. Looks like he was kicked by my other horse in the head, cue an emergency vet visit instead.

Life sucks sometimes! Gutted to have missed the competiton, gutted he’s going to have a permanent deformity on his head now and most gutted my beautiful kind boy is in pain due to a freak accident.

Keep your fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and no complications please :)

milliepops

Visit site
Oh no! what a horrible thing to find. Hope he's starting to feel better very soon :(

Hen do was fab, lots of giggles, lots of gin, can't wait to see everyone again on Friday for the big day.

Managed to wake up feeling pretty bright and cheerful too so Salty had a workout this afternoon, she's getting quite hairy but I'm not clipping until after honeymoon so it's just too bad and she has to get hot and bothered. In the last few weeks several pennies have dropped about forwardness, infrontofthelegness and attentiveness, so all of a sudden I have a rather enthusiastic zoomy ride. Only slightly out of control feeling because the corresponding pennies around connection and waiting for instructions haven't dropped yet ;) She'll get there, I just have to remember not to shut her down whens she gets carried away!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Oh no l2r😵
You've really had more than your share of rotten luck with your beautiful horse in the last year - sending vibes that things look up soon

Sounds good on the Salty front MP. Good luck for the big day x

DressageCob

Visit site
My lessons were good fun. I'm trying to learn how to collect the big cob's enormous canter, which I am not finding easy at all :D But I think we made a bit of progress.

I've spent most of the weekend at Leahurst. Little cob is happy in himself but I saw his eye yesterday and it was far worse than I expected. It was basically liquid. I honestly don't see how it can be saved, but the vets are a little more hopeful than they were. He's had enough of being poorly now though, and the eye drops through his lavage system every 15 minutes are taking their toll.

907FD266-6381-4F9A-83FC-8CB4D3F19CEA.jpeg

Pippity

Visit site
Ok...so... I'm not reporting on here again!!!! Fell off at the jumping clinic and am hobbling around in some degree of agony, sore hip, back etc. I won't be riding for a few days now and am planning a trip to the chiropractor on Monday.

Oh, no!

At least my jinx only resulted in a lorry getting hurt. Prop shaft broke on seller's lorry, so no new arrival yet. *sigh*

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
So sorry to hear of the accidents and illnesses. An eventful weekend. A friend of mine broke her neck falling on Thursday. No nerve damage thank god. But so scary. Is there something in the air at the moment?

Took my 3 to an end of season Championships. We got there for 12 and did not jump till 5! The classes were HUGE. Everyone loves a sash!!!

Max was post clip fresh and looky so a little inattentive in the 75 for a pole. Then Katie turned way too tight trying to get a good time and did not present him well enough to a jump in the 85 for another pole but Katie is managing him well and will be gaining a lot of confidence and experience while she's riding him.

Amber was good but I'm a muppet and kept forgetting where I was going so lots of coming in at angles with no preparation. It was a VERY twisty course. So she had poles in each class too which were all ride error.

And then Jumping Jenny Wren flew round clear in the 75 to come 2nd. Reserve Champion and a..... SASH. Woo woo. She also jumped the 90 for one pole to place 4th. There weren't many clears in the 90 and she was the fastest 4 faulter. So a pretty good day but after my friend's news we were just glad to all get home safe and well.

43377427_1972852119461526_3134542191469264896_n.jpg

Asha

Visit site
crikey what a weekend for everyone . Hope all those who have had accidents are ok and back on board soon, and extra hugs for the poorly ponies. Extra virtual carrots for dressagecob.

Glad the hen party was good MP, although no mention of strippers ?/ I thought that was par for the course !

well done AE, im with you, you cant beat a sash :)

We ended up going to the farmride at Cholmondley . It was fabulous. Its about 5mins from where we are, and that's the first time we've been. ( its only on once a year ), we will be regulars now. What beautiful countryside, and super lovely people who made us feel very welcome. Cantering across the open fields, wind in our faces, glorious sunny day too. cholm2.jpg

milliepops

Visit site
Glad the hen party was good MP, although no mention of strippers ?/ I thought that was par for the course !

hahaha no strippers, no sashes (those are just for horses :p) no willy straws, nothing! There's some monkey business happening on the day instead, I just spoke to the venue to let them know not to turn away anyone that they think is gatecrashing in fancy dress, lol, and they laughed their heads off :eek:;)o_O

Sending lots of get well soon vibes to all the injured horses, riders and transport :confused:

Wimbles

Visit site
Gosh sounds a bit of a bad weekend for illness and injury! Well done to all those that had good outcomes though.

I'm loving reading about the Super star that is Jenny Wren.

I took the Sports Draught to her first official horseball training session on Saturday. She was so good if not a little confused about what was going on. It's a bit different from hunting but she thought it was great fun. She's quite formidable when riding at you!

I was out for a friend's Birthday on Saturday night so getting up at the crack of dawn to go showjumping didn't fill me with much joy. I've haven't done much over poles lately and it showed in the warm up when I was riding like a big wet lettuce once more being very negative.

I went to watch a couple go round but before I knew it I was called in and it was probably the best thing that could have happened as I just had to get on with it. Koko flew round with her usual enthusiam, deciding that there was no need for strides in doubles (YIKES) and we finished clear in our biggest competitive SJ class to date at the same venue that I had to get off Brian on New Year's eve because I just froze with fear after the first fence! I was relieved and pleased in equal measures and took my wonderful horse back to the lorry to untack and feed well deserved treats. No photos or anything as my friends didn't even realise that I had gone in.

Turns out I'm a bit rusty on the SJ front thought and forgot about jumps offs!! OOPS! So there was no rosette for us (there were only 5 clears!) but that didn't matter one bit as my lovely mare looked after me and we went home safe and happy!

Attachments

• Koko HB.jpeg
    Koko HB.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 2

DressageCob

Visit site
crikey what a weekend for everyone . Hope all those who have had accidents are ok and back on board soon, and extra hugs for the poorly ponies. Extra virtual carrots for dressagecob.

well done AE, im with you, you cant beat a sash :)

We ended up going to the farmride at Cholmondley . It was fabulous. Its about 5mins from where we are, and that's the first time we've been. ( its only on once a year ), we will be regulars now. What beautiful countryside, and super lovely people who made us feel very welcome. Cantering across the open fields, wind in our faces, glorious sunny day too. View attachment 26134

I love that ride! it's about 15 minutes from us and it's so nice. I like the other local fun rides, those run by the Wynnstay hunt, but Cholmondeley is so much more tranquil and the setting is beautiful.

paddi22

Visit site
I took my little sulkie racer rescue project to her first hunter trial doing the tots level, and she had a total ball going around! was so much fun. I could just feel she enjoyed it so much, and she was so brave that i had a big grin going around the whole thing (even though everyone else in the class was about 7 years old:p

Attachments

• bella2.jpg
    bella2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 6
  • bella1.jpg
    bella1.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 6

SEL

Visit site
Me or my horse break every time I post on the weekend thread - so I don't any more!!!