5* Vetting missed major problem, where do I stand?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
^^^ This ^^^ and exactly why we haven't called a vet for her. He wants to carry out some form of remedial shoeing on her, but because her hooves are so weak from the deformity, she pulls them off straight away, despite being booted up 24/7, and he reckons this will cause more damage if she had heartbars/wide shoes/heel supports :)

her hooves are so weak from the deformity - so how many hooves are affected by the deformity ?

KatieLluvia

Visit site
Well he will know then that he has to get x rays before he can fit hearbars and if he works so well with them, then its a pity that they did not get together about 9 months ago.

And judgemental - yes for sure I am, you have had a horse for 9 months, its now broken and you want to sue the vet that vetted it.

Suggest your the one that needs to look at what the farrier is actually doing as i certainly would be questioning how a horse has developed a foot problem on "his watch".

Certainly not on his watch. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with most equine people. Apart from the people that actually gave advice which I asked for, instead of attempting to slate me and my farrier when you know nothing of the situation, people just are so far up their own arses to actually realise what they are saying. If all you are going to say is 'oh its your fault, oh call a *******ing vet, oh its your farriers fault' please don't waste your time. Thankyou for your advice so far, but really cannot understand the rudeness. The chances are I don't agree with the way you care for your horse, however I'm not going to sit here and bitch to you, because it's your choice. Bloody hell! only wanted to know peoples thoughts, turns out few people actually want to help, more prefer to spend their evenings criticising others!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
So once the vet has authorised the oesteo, you can add that to any insurance claim that you will potentially be making.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Certainly not on his watch. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with most equine people. Apart from the people that actually gave advice which I asked for, instead of attempting to slate me and my farrier when you know nothing of the situation, people just are so far up their own arses to actually realise what they are saying. If all you are going to say is 'oh its your fault, oh call a *******ing vet, oh its your farriers fault' please don't waste your time. Thankyou for your advice so far, but really cannot understand the rudeness. The chances are I don't agree with the way you care for your horse, however I'm not going to sit here and bitch to you, because it's your choice. Bloody hell! only wanted to know peoples thoughts, turns out few people actually want to help, more prefer to spend their evenings criticising others!

So has your farrier not been shoeing the horse over the past 9 months then ?
You seam very happy to slate a vet that did see the horse over 9 months ago and did not find an issue, but somehow now the horse has a hoof deformity in one or more hooves - can't quite work that bit out - but in your opinion it is the vetting vet that is at fault.
Your farrier has allowed the hooves to deteriate over a 9 month period but is now the one that you rate so highly to rectify the issue ?- so why did he allow it to get this far?
Who do you think has been in control of the hooves then?
The vetting vet or the farrier that has been looking at the horse for the last 9 months ?

KatieLluvia

Visit site
So has your farrier not been shoeing the horse over the past 9 months then ?
You seam very happy to slate a vet that did see the horse over 9 months ago and did not find an issue, but somehow now the horse has a hoof deformity in one or more hooves - can't quite work that bit out - but in your opinion it is the vetting vet that is at fault.
Your farrier has allowed the hooves to deteriate over a 9 month period but is now the one that you rate so highly to rectify the issue ?- so why did he allow it to get this far?
Who do you think has been in control of the hooves then?
The vetting vet or the farrier that has been looking at the horse for the last 9 months ?

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what your talking about..? The farrier obv doesn't control growth of the hoof, a weak point has developed in the line of the deformity which is why she is lame... Nothing to do with the farrier? Concussion from eventing has further weakened the area, She had not been competed for a year when we bought her due to owners circumstances, so concussion from this seasons events so far has weakened hoof, which is why I am making this post?

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Back to the original question. No I don't think you have a cat in hells chance of any come back on your vet for missing hoof fault at vetting after 9months, the time to speak to them was 9months ago when your farrier noticed.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well. Good advice regarding the BVA. Good advice from a litigator, and good advice from others.

I hope your horse receives the professional medical attention it requires and makes a full recovery.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Now I have read that horse had not been evented for a year prior to purchase, I am even more perplex as to why you did not go straight back to your vet! Hell alram beels should have been ringing loud and clear that 'possibly' horses workload had been dropped for a reason!

KatieLluvia

Visit site
Now I have read that horse had not been evented for a year prior to purchase, I am even more perplex as to why you did not go straight back to your vet! Hell alram beels should have been ringing loud and clear that 'possibly' horses workload had been dropped for a reason!

We know the old owner, personal circumstances meant that all of her horses had a season off :)

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Agree with the majority. No chance of any legal recompense from the vet 9 months on. You really should have contacted them then to at least query it. If you didn't want to pay for a call out a phone call would probably have had them coming to see the horse at their own expense rather than risk a claim on their insurance.

I agree some vets aren't hoof experts at all, but how do you know it isn't something completed unrelated unless all the possibilities have been investigated. Would also add that poor diet is the biggest cause of poor hoof horn quality so it may be worth reconsidering your feed.

KatieLluvia

Visit site
Agree with the majority. No chance of any legal recompense from the vet 9 months on. You really should have contacted them then to at least query it. If you didn't want to pay for a call out a phone call would probably have had them coming to see the horse at their own expense rather than risk a claim on their insurance.

I agree some vets aren't hoof experts at all, but how do you know it isn't something completed unrelated unless all the possibilities have been investigated. Would also add that poor diet is the biggest cause of poor hoof horn quality so it may be worth reconsidering your feed.

Not thought of that one, thankyou. After all advice, will work with farrier/vet and look into xrays to eliminate all possibilities, thankyou to all posters :)

undergroundoli

Visit site
What is your horses diet like? Has your horse been pulling shoes for a while? You said one hoof is deformed, but imply the horse pulls off shoes all round.

I don't think any of us can really advise without more information about the deformity (and the advice wouldn't be worth as much as your vets anyway), but given what you've said I'd look at diet if the horse was mine.

FWIW you would have been expected to raise any issues about the vetting at the time, rather than waiting to see if a problem developed.

KatieLluvia

Visit site
She is fed once a day on Dengie Healthy Tummy and cool mix. She is on stroppy mare and limestone powder. She is a shoe puller all round, however, particularly on the foot with the deformity.
:)

Fun Times

Visit site
OP, for what its worth I wouldnt bother pursuing the original vet. Too many variables and water under the bridge for that. I would also have done what you have done and listened to the advice of my farrier. Its like when I have toothache - I go straight to the dentist and not via my gp. I dont see why this thread has turned quite so antagonistic really. I hope you find a solution for your mare, working with whichever professional you select.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ok, so not really anything to support healthy digestion or hoof support.

Another really good avenue for you to pursue.

KatieLluvia

Visit site
OP, for what its worth I wouldnt bother pursuing the original vet. Too many variables and water under the bridge for that. I would also have done what you have done and listened to the advice of my farrier. Its like when I have toothache - I go straight to the dentist and not via my gp. I dont see why this thread has turned quite so antagonistic really. I hope you find a solution for your mare, working with whichever professional you select.

Thankyou, this is what I always think about going to the vet, clearly, there is sometimes a need, however my first point of call is always farrier. Thankyou for your kind post, I was only looking for some advice! haha. oh well :)

KatieLluvia

Visit site
Ok, so not really anything to support healthy digestion or hoof support.

Another really good avenue for you to pursue.

Interestingly, whatever we do to encourage her to eat hoof related chaff, she will not go for it. We were recommend limestone powder to improve horn quality, and are currently sourcing hoof support supplements found in the chaff's. She is on healthy tummy for digestion, as well as a protexin supplement, forgot to mention!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Cool mix is sugar and starch. So straight away you're contradicting any affect the limestone flower and healthy tummy. If she has digestion problems then eliminating the starch will have an immediate and beneficial affect.

There are some great posters on here who can offer fantastic advice on feeding to support the hoof.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Progressive Earth's Pro Balance + would be a good place to start hoof health wise. Cutting out all molasses and sugar would help a great deal too. Think laminitic diet (and no I don't mean Happy Hoof at all) and you'll see a definite improvement in hoof quality.

KatieLluvia

Visit site
Cool mix is sugar and starch. So straight away you're contradicting any affect the limestone flower and healthy tummy.

There are some great posters on here who can offer fantastic advice on feeding to support the hoof.

Can you point me in right direction?

KatieLluvia

Visit site
Progressive Earth's Pro Balance + would be a good place to start hoof health wise. Cutting out all molasses and sugar would help a great deal too. Think laminitic diet (and no I don't mean Happy Hoof at all) and you'll see a definite improvement in hoof quality.

The problem is, she lacks energy too, so the balance is hard! Will look into Progressive Earth, thankyou!