A very, very hard post to write.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Michen, I don't know what to say, I'm crying just reading your post as your love for Basil shines through in your OP. Sending you huge hugs xxx

Remi'sMum

Visit site
There are no words.... My heart breaks for you Michen, after everything you've been through. Tears being shed here too for you and Basil. xxx

tashcat

Visit site
Crying as I read through your post, what a touching tribute to your lovely boy. It is incredibly clear how well loved he was and I am so so sorry for you.

I lost my boy at the beginning of December and the biggest piece of advice I can give is to let it out and cry when you need to. Some one told me it is a funny back handed compliment to your boy. But he won't want you to be sad forever, so remember everything that made him such a special part of your life, not how it ended.

Sending you lots of hugs xx

SO1

Visit site
This is incredibly sad and so unlucky. You must be devastated. I expect nothing anyone can say can make you feel better at the moment. I hope you have some good friends around you who can help you get through this.

pixie27

Visit site
So heartbroken for you Michen. After everything with Torres and the mare, I was so pleased to read of all the fun and success you had with Basil. It sounds like you did everything for him, and gave him a hugely fun life while you were together. Thinking of you xxx

sky1000

Visit site
This is horrible. Of course you are devastated. You must take your time. But be assured that you did all you could - that's all any of us can do.

Puzzled

Visit site
So very, very sorry to hear this. What a wonderful owner you are I know how much Basil would have loved you. Sending you lots of hugs x x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry, you made the best decision that you could with the information that you had at the time.
It is always hard to lose a horse and when it is in an emergency situation, the shock compounds the grief, ime.

ozpoz

Visit site
oh Michen how devastating. I am so,so sorry for the loss of your lovely boy.
I feel actual relief that it didn't happen at home and he had pain relief immediately, for your sake.
He must have been so happy to share a partnership with you.
Xx

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Words are failing me at the moment. After what you went through with Torres you deserved buckets loads of happiness. So sorry that Basil has left you in body. His spirit and memories will remain with you. Sending HUGS. XXX

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I'm so very sorry michen, I lost my mare a fortnight ago it's the most cruelest thing in the world, I tried so hard to fix her but it just never worked.
I know that empty feeling you have at the moment, but take comfort in you did everything for him and he had a wonderful life with you xx

Michen

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I'm still in a state of shock about it to be honest. It was so sudden. I can't believe it was the leg that got him. I always had a bad feeling about the leg but it responded to treatment and even if we had bone scanned before surgery we wouldn't have had time :(

sasquatch

Visit site
Oh Michen, I am so so sorry and don't quite know what to say :(
Please don't be too harsh on yourself, you did your absolute best for him and I can't imagine how heartbreaking this is for you. It seems so absolutely unfair.

Lots of hugs, and good vibes to you Michen xx

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm so sorry to read this Michen, you have the moist awful luck and your bond with Basil was obvious to anyone who read your posts :(
I can't really say anything that will help, but I didn't want to read and not comment.

Please don't dwell too much on Basil's last moments. Unfortunately recovery is a risky period for any horse that has been under anaesthetic. My friend's horse also broke her leg when coming round after colic surgery, and my friend is an equine vet and like you she was just trying to do her best for her horse. Sometimes the best is all we can do, but it doesn't always end well xx