Absolutely Terrible Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal-Rio

Visit site
Hello everyone.

This is my first post.

I have been a lurker on HHO for a long time but made an account a few days ago, as I was going to ask for advice as to how to move my horse to a new yard. The reason that I was worrying is that he is a total stress head - he is a WB X TB and lived in the same home on a smallholding with 2 othr horses all his life before he came to me 15 months ago. He is highly strung in the extreme - does not do routine change AT ALL and if he finds himself without any other horses around him - in circumstances other than ridden or longreining work - he becomes positively dangerous. He has severe separation/anxiety issues.

I am not a novice and have owned horses for 18 years but he has stretched my ability to cope to the extreme.

After having him on the same yard - which I've been on for 15 years - not with this horse obviously, but its always been home to me for as long as I can remember - we had the awful news 5 weeks ago that the yard was closing. Rio also has a bad back, so needs working either in ridden work or longreining, at least 6 days a week. This limited my options because there is a massively severe shortage of yard with good grazing and an indoor school - a must in the winter with a horse like him - is for me.

I was fortunate in the extreme to be offered a box at a yard that is nearer to home, cheaper, with a huge indoor and about 15 miles of hacking 3 weeks ago. Bearing in mind I knew how awful he was at having his routine changed, I have been stressed to the extreme. Boxes at this yard are like hen's teeth, so I was lucky in the extreme to be offered it.

Today - a friend has loaded him onto the box, driven him there and I swear to god - couldn't believe my eyes.... but he went into his new stable, no problems whatsoever - no box walking/kicking/rearing/barging which I have had to deal with when I even moved a stable on the same yard last year - I couldn't actually believe my luck.

I have a sharer, who is an absolutely wonderful person - she never lets me down - does more than she actually needs to and is always there if I need her for anything - to be honest in 18 years of horse ownership she is the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket of sharers.

The problems started when the girl who took me to the new yard - in a 26 foot horse box - tried to leave.

She just couldn't manouvre the box out of the yard. Its massive and there was a car parked in the car park which prevented her from reversing back enough to get enough room to drive out. Despite about 4 of us trying to help her, she ended up getting wedged between a huge fir tree and the muck heap. We were all starting to panic.

My sharer decided to go up to the house to see if it was the yard owner's car that could be moved, so we could get the box out. we have been into the house on a couple of occasions when sorting out coming to the yard. she knocked on the door, didn't get an answer (and here's where it all goes completely pearshaped) but she opened the door, stepped a few paces into the kitchen and shouted the yard owner. Big, big mistake.

she didn't get a reply, so she came back out and we all continued trying to move the wagon as best we could, backwards and forwards, to try and get it off the yard. A few moments later, the back door opened and the husband of the yard owner (who we didn't know at the time had been sleeping as had been on nights the night before) asking to know who had been in the house. My sharer didn't hear him, as she was at the front of the lorry, trying to guide it out, and at that time I also didn't know that she had done more than knock on the door.

He was absolutely furious, but he got in the lorry and managed to manouvre it out of the tight space that it was stuck in, but then demanded again to know who had been in his house. My sharer by that time heard him ask and admitted that she had opened the door and had come in a few steps and had shouted for Gill, as she thought the black car in the car park was hers ( it was actually her husbands) that she was sorry, but he was absolutely furious. Understandably so, to be honest, but she really didn't mean any trespass or disrespect. We were all panicking as to what to do, this huge lorry was wedged and I think she acted rashly out of fear. The fact remains though, that she entered someone's house without their permission.

My yard owner's husband was, understandably though, really upset and has told us we have to leave. I have spoken to my yard owner when she came home about an hour later tonight, I was in bits to be honest - have apologised in every single way that I can - my sharer was in tears and told her that she didn't mean any harm, we were all frightened and she acted on impulse and shouldn't have done it. My new yard owner is absolutely lovely, but obviously she has said that she needs to talk to her husband before she can give me a definitive answer as to whether we can say.

I am sat here tonight in absolute bits.

I have text her again to apologise and have bought a decent bottle of red wine and some beers for her husband to apologise again, in the hope that when he is not as tired and irritable and being woken up when on nights by a stranger shouting in his house (and I completely understand him being really p*ssed about today) that he will let us stay.

the yard I've just left is closing and there is nowhere with an indoor school that is within my travelling distance apart from where I've moved today, so if the answer is no - you have to go - I am completely stuffed.

I am feeling absolutely desperate tonight. I was expecting a stressful move, but not in this way.

any advice of what else I can do to make things better?

Evie91

Visit site
Wow what a predicament! This is not going to help you at all, but I would be furious too if a stranger had entered my house. If I had a yard I would not people on it who thought it was acceptable to do that. I would be worried that if someone thought it ok to take a liberty like that within the first few minutes where will it lead!
Really hope for your horses sake that your yard owner manages to talk her husband round!

GirlFriday

Visit site
Well. Sounds like you may have done all you can for now. Obviously you can drop the gifts off tomorrow (?) when you go up to see neddy but really I wouldn't stress too much. Harder for others to see it as the quite little thing it is if you are making it big too. You sound like you've both done enough to show you understand, now it is time for some perspective. End of the day, you are buying a service, YO's hubby parked in an inconvenient place for customers and left door open. So, whilst not ideal you can see how it happened!

Also: not quite sure why you need an indoor - would lights on an outdoor work too?

skint1

Visit site
Hopefully the YO's husband will calm down and realise it was a moment of panic and that it isn't something you or your sharer would do on a daily basis

WelshD

Visit site
Do not panic just yet, after some decent sleep the chap may well have calmed down and quite possibly its not really his say as to who gets to stay on the yard and who doesn't, the YO would be silly to lose a paying livery over this

Hopefully your sharer is telling the truth about how far she went in to the house, if it were just a few paces goodness knows why she just didn't say she merely opened the door, leaned in and shouted!

Crystal-Rio

Visit site
Wow what a predicament! This is not going to help you at all, but I would be furious too if a stranger had entered my house. If I had a yard I would not people on it who thought it was acceptable to do that. I would be worried that if someone thought it ok to take a liberty like that within the first few minutes where will it lead!

I absolutely agree, and to be honest, If I had been the one to go to the house to try and find the yard owner, i would have knocked on the door and having found no answer, I would have gone away. I was furious with my sharer for a while, but then I realised that she did it without thinking - we were all panicking at the time and she just didn't think through what she was doing. she meant no harm but as a result my yard owners' husband is seriously upset. I would be too, if I were him, I completely understand how he's feeling.

I'm just devastated because I was expecting nightmares from my horse in moving, who has been like a little lamb, but then we are now faced with being kicked off.

RubysGold

Visit site
Oh dear :-(
I hope he calms down when he isn't so tired and he let's you stay
You have done every thing you can to show you are sorry so hopefully they take that on board

Doormouse

Visit site
I'm sorry you are in such an awkward position.

To be honest although I can imagine the husband being cross about being woken up, how on earth were you supposed to know he was there sleeping during the day because he was on nights and really I don't think taking 2 steps into someone's house to shout is really a big deal. If she had gone in and used the loo or made a cup of tea that might be a bit different but really to get so stressed about it seems a bit much.

Crystal-Rio

Visit site
Also: not quite sure why you need an indoor - would lights on an outdoor work too?

Not in the North West of England unfortunately.... most yards with outdoor sand paddocks either get flooded or frozen in the winter - I've been on a couple before and if I can't work Rio at least 6 days a week his back problem just regresses and I'm back to square one. He is extremely high maintenance.

Asha

Visit site
Don't panic ! He sounds exactly like my hubby. He'd react just like that too. I would imagine he will calm down by tomorrow and his wife will have talked a bit of sense into him. I would imagine the beers will do the trick.

Look on the bright side, your horse is happy ��

rachk89

Visit site
It might be ok you never know. Men tend to be even more grouchy on less sleep than women my dad can get a bit scary if he has been on nights and is sleep deprived.

Definitely wrong of your sharer maybe they will just ban her? Still not great for you though. Hopefully he will be understanding of it eventually. I think you have done all you can really for now. Drop the gifts off tomorrow and see what happens. Hope it all works out for you.

Evie91

Visit site
Crystal Rio - you've done what you can. Take the gifts as planned tomorrow. I'd also be tempted to write a note of apology too.
Think your course of action would have been the correct one. Tbf I do not think moving a lorry is enough is enough of an 'emergency' to enter someone's house. If it were me, I'd be tempted to give you a chance but wouldn't want the sharer.
Then again I am particularly harsh, live in the sticks, love where I live as no direct neighbours and really value my privacy!!
Good luck hope it works out ok

Crystal-Rio

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

My sharer has also told my yard owner that if needs be, she won't come anymore if that enables me to stay but I honestly don't want to lose her if I can help it, she is an absolute godsend and my horse adores her. However, if that is the only option on the table, then I might have to just swallow it as there is literally nowhere else that I can go in reasonable distance of my house that has the facilities that I need. I am hoping that it won't come to that though.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I am sure everyone will calm down, I am awful if woken up suddenly. Your sharer made a mistake but hardly a shooting offence-hopefully a storm in a teacup :) no point in stressing until you know you have something to stress about.

ozpoz

Visit site
Poor you. I think all the stress of moving is making this feel worse than it really is, although I do understand the man's "my home, my castle" attitude.
I hope they accept your apology, and find a sense of humour about it all - and forgive your perfect sharer, too.

Illusion100

Visit site
Take a deep breath!

The yard seems to be the wife's business and the husband has a completely different job/hours, he was understandably livid at being woken up by a 'stranger' coming into his house, let's face it he has probably had this happen to him quite a few times in the past and your sharer got the frustration taken out on her because his wife wasn't there to oversee her 'responsibility' and he got the short end of the stick again. Yet, he sorted the lorry issue out when he didn't have to, so he's not a bad guy at all.

Nobody meant to cause anyone else harm here and I'm sure they realise you both are sincere in your regret and apologies. Imo, this is more of a husband/wife issue than anything else. That said, this may be a clue as to the YO/husband dynamics, so just bear that in mind.

Please don't panic or stress anymore tonight, things are always different in the morning. :)

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
It might be ok you never know. Men tend to be even more grouchy on less sleep than women my dad can get a bit scary if he has been on nights and is sleep deprived.

Honestly my OH is the loveliest and kindest person in the world, but he works nights and if that had happened he would have been a total pig about it! Theres something about sleep deprivation that makes people horrible! I actually shouted at and then slammed the door in the face of someone knocking doors for a living the other day. I would never, ever have done that normally as I door knocked for a living when I was at uni.

But I was knackered and asleep and some horrible primal part of myself took over and I told him to **** off and then slammed the door! Once I'd had some sleep I was mortified, but if you'd seen me I looked possessed with rage! Totally out of character! So hopefully you will find the same :)

SusieT

Visit site
well, I'd be more concerned your new yard owner isn't the type to be reasonable.
4 girls, panicking with a big lorry. It was probably better than his yard being damaged that he fixed it however he may feel your going to need your hand holding and he doesn't want that.
Surely a 'in future don't ever come in without invitation' would have been more reasonable no matter how wrong it was - any reasonable livery yard knows how stressful horse life is
I think you come across as a little precious however and girly, which if you come across as that in real life may be why he isn't interest in building bridges rather than locking gates! Good luckw ith apology - just go somewhere with lights if no other indoors.

atropa

Visit site
Sorry but I think everyone has overreacted here. Not being able to move the lorry out, whilst a stressful situation, wouldn't be something for me to panic or become frightened enough over to barge into someone's house. On the other hand, your sharer hardly let herself in and made herself at home, and I think YO's husband has been a bit out of line too. I have worked solid nights before and understand it can make you irritable, but surely he will gain some perspective and understand it was a stressful situation...expecially when faced with a genuine apology and beers. I imagine it could make things a bit awkward in future though for both of you on the yard. Not the best start I'm afraid but I hope it works out OP :\

Zero00000

Visit site
I too work nights, and if I am woken up for anything i am in a rage!!
And if I was woken to someone I didn't know in my house shouting I'd be seething.
But I'd calm down after some sleep and rationat thinking

Hope it all blows over for you all

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
I don't think what your sharer did was all that wrong, after all it was very difficult circumstances, the door was unlocked, and help was needed......am sorry for you situation and hope it blows over too.

Jazzy B

Visit site
From the sounds of it I think every overreacted but I don't think what your sharer did was that awful! If there had been something wrong with a horse would he have roared and bellowed at being disturbed? It's not like your sharer went in and made herself a cup of tea! Personally, if your yard owner and husband won't forgive and I think you have done more than enough to apologise I would find somewhere else for the horse.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Much as it will be hard, I would leave the YO with space and time to sort it out. She has said she will speak with him, so let her do that. It may take a day or two. Nothing wrong with wine, beer and a card, but other than that I would not try to approach him. If he comes over than by all means give another apology, but don't ask him for an answer, as he already gave HIS answer, you need to wait for her to change his mind.

I worked nights, and I too would have been furious for someone to barge into the house. It stinks of "my parking issue is greater than any reason you may have for not answering the door." If there had been a fire then OK. But a parking issue with a lorry? When you say it was stuck I don't suppose it was wedged on top of a precipice, I take it that it was more that the driver was inconvenienced as she may have to wait for someone to come so she could un-park.

Being as the man who was just woken off nights was able to drive the dratted thing out, then I don't suppose the car was THAT badly parked. Being woken up by someone who was unable to manoeuvre their own vehicle in a perfectly good space, and then them declaring it an emergency, then barging into my house, would have upset me too, especially on nights!

I am happy that your horse has settled well. I hope that the sharer is allowed to continue to visit the yard. I don't suppose you will disturb the YO's OH again, unless it is a genuine emergency. Genuinely give her time to talk him round. Trying to rush that also smacks of your 'discomfort waiting' being more important to you than complying with their wishes (in this case to be allowed to talk him round herself).

Last edited:

Clare85

Visit site
Hope it gets sorted out for you OP. Hopefully the husband will calm down after some sleep and your apology gifts will help. Honestly, I think he has just overreacted due to his tiredness and will hopefully be more reasonable when he is rested up. How were you or your sharer supposed to know he would be asleep in the middle of the day if you'd only been on the yard 5 minutes? The YO should make it clear to new liveries that they are not to disturb him if he's been working nights. Fingers crossed they let you stay :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Another one with a hubby that did, thankfully no longer, permanent nights. It is a SH%t routine and being disturbed is annoying. I expect the livery situation will right itself with a written apology and a bottle.

The fact that the driver could not drive her lorry is worrying. 28' is not big, if she can't control it in every situation she should not be in it and without her inability to driver her wagon you would not be in this situation now.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
You sound like a right load of drama queens. Not surprised he doesn't want you on the yard. I would stop hassling them and go about your business on the yard like a normal person and maybe they will realise you aren't actually as daft as you appeared on the first day.

As an aside, I work my horse 7 days a week with no school at all, in Scotland, so there's another thing you are getting overly dramatic about. Where there's a will there's a way, maybe think about calming down and your horse might too!;)

honetpot

Visit site
Sorry I think he is a total t***. I worked nights for eighteen years and the number of times I have been woken up by other people and my children, if I went off the deep end every time, well! When you go to bed you lock the doors, if you have not locked the doors you just a bit stupid.
I might be a bit grumpy when I am first woken up, but I would rather sort out a problem than leave someone in a mess and how were you to know he was on nights? To be honest I think its the YO fault for not being there when you arrived to help.
I hope it all settles down but honestly I do not think I would want be near someone with so little understanding.

Pedantic

Visit site
Husband sounds like an over reacting Richard Head, if you run a business and a livery yard that means people around and noise, did he think you had a crystal ball to know he's on nights, your friend wasn't stealing stuff and rummaging through drawers, she was stressing and panicky, first off the door wasn't locked, secondly any signs saying don't ring or knock during the day ?, if you end up staying I bet he will be a pain and you will have more problems, if the guy can't understand this then maybe your best out of it.

Hope you get sorted and it all works out for you for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.