Adv Med - established changes ?

Cragrat

Visit site
I'm not sure where I come down in this debate, and while I've trained at the level I haven't competed, so no real clout to my opinion.
However, it is a competition but, it is also a test and while you compete to be competitive, anyone who's been to school will be well familiar with the idea that a "test" is something you do to check learning, to gauge progress etc (at least so we were all told)
This^^^

I am not competitive, except with my self. I compete to check progress, I appreciate and learn from the score sheet, and value an unbiased independant opiinion of how we are doing. If I KNOW i haven't got a movement totally establisehd, it would still be useful to check our progress on everthing else.

Muddywellies

Visit site
But it's a COMPETITION, which in theory means that you are there to compete, which in my mind would entail having the ability, at least in theory, to win. If you're just there for the jolly then you should either be at a training clinic or hors de concours. There are always no-hopers I suppose, but they can be excused as deluded. Deliberately entering a competition for which you are unprepared is madness, or is this the good old British having a bash/laugh principle in action? Being of an extremely competitive nature it's something that I find particularly bemusing.
Gosh. What can I say ?? I do dressage on a shoestring and have one pony. I have clawed my way up from unaffiliated intro to just about adv med. I have training from top trainers and work incredibly hard, in absolutely all weathers, to progress with my dressage. However, I'm just not really that good. Average to below average I'd say. I do it for the love of my pony and the love of dressage. I truly truly hope no one sees me as a no-hoper or deluded. (Wipes tear away 😪)

blitznbobs

Visit site
In my experience everything is not as easy in the ring as it is at home
In your own play pen … why would you put your self under the spotlight if you aren’t even prepared at home - seems an odd thing to want to do to me - I don’t care - you do you but I guess I don’t understand the desire to come last… it is different if you have a major issue that needs working though but this is just the basic training for the level.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
But you can train and train at home. At some point you have to go and do that in a 'competition' environment and sure as eggs is eggs, you'll fluff it up first few times. Take a lot of attempts in competition environments to produce a decent test. So applying your theory, how is one supposed to get competition experience?
You're supposed to do it before Advanced Medium, that's for sure. It's what lower level tests are for, presumably the majority of people can manage to pull w/t/c out of the bag with reasonable certainty. The question was about Adv. Medium, most people don't debut their horse at that level.

rara007

Visit site
To be fair, for me, dressage (competition or not) is a playground. Win or lose the morning after I’m back at my day job working to pay for it. I’m not bothering the Olympic selectors any time soon. If the rest of the work is solid the easier AMs your marks will hardly be impacted by a fluffed change if you get 1/2 clean.
And that’s before we get onto eventers changes…!

SEL

Visit site
Gosh. What can I say ?? I do dressage on a shoestring and have one pony. I have clawed my way up from unaffiliated intro to just about adv med. I have training from top trainers and work incredibly hard, in absolutely all weathers, to progress with my dressage. However, I'm just not really that good. Average to below average I'd say. I do it for the love of my pony and the love of dressage. I truly truly hope no one sees me as a no-hoper or deluded. (Wipes tear away 😪)
Still rocking around unaffiliated intro here on a pony that performs brilliantly at home but fails miserably on relaxation in a competitive environment. Working hard but probably deluded 😜

You keep rocking on - we're not all destined to be Carl & Charlotte 😕

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I wouldn’t compete AM until I had the changes established at home. I go by the advice to be working at home at the level above that you are competing at.

It’s one thing competing on a horse who underperforms at a competition compared to being at home, and quite another to take a horse who isn’t even working at that level at home.

But then I’ve always preferred and prioritised the training over going to parties.

conniegirl

Visit site
But it's a COMPETITION, which in theory means that you are there to compete, which in my mind would entail having the ability, at least in theory, to win. If you're just there for the jolly then you should either be at a training clinic or hors de concours. There are always no-hopers I suppose, but they can be excused as deluded. Deliberately entering a competition for which you are unprepared is madness, or is this the good old British having a bash/laugh principle in action? Being of an extremely competitive nature it's something that I find particularly bemusing.
And this sort of attitude is why dressage is seen as snobby. It is also why less and less places are putting on classes for the higher levels. Because people are not even willing to try because of attitudes like yours and class numbers are dropping to the point its just not worth putting them on at all.

For me a dressage test it not about the competition. It’s about checking how we are progressing, getting an independent view on it.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
And this sort of attitude is why dressage is seen as snobby. It is also why less and less places are putting on classes for the higher levels. Because people are not even willing to try because of attitudes like yours and class numbers are dropping to the point its just not worth putting them on at all.

For me a dressage test it not about the competition. It’s about checking how we are progressing, getting an independent view on it.
I don’t regard wanting to be competitive as being snobby. Wanting to know how you are progressing is fantastic, and it’s what training with an instructor is for. Proving it is what competing is for. I have competed in many different countries and the UK is the only place where I’ve come across this attitude, in most places you have to qualify to rise up the levels, or even to enter a competition at all and as a result the standard across all levels is much more consistent. There are also training shows where people can take their young horses for competition experience, some where the judge will give you a mini lesson after the test, those are a great idea and very useful. I also judge and it is not fun having to watch someone struggling and overtaxing their misfortunate horse, plainly out of their depth. Dressage is about progressive exercises, built on developing muscles and balance, if you miss out steps you will never move forward and may harm the horse in the process.

There are less classes for the higher levels because there are fewer horses capable of performing at those levels, capable being the operative word. If your horse isn’t able to jump over 1m would you put him into 1.5m classes?

Last edited:

conniegirl

Visit site
I don’t regard wanting to be competitive as being snobby. Wanting to know how you are progressing is fantastic, and it’s what training with an instructor is for. Proving it is what competing is for. I have competed in many different countries and the UK is the only place where I’ve come across this attitude, in most places you have to qualify to rise up the levels, or even to enter a competition at all and as a result the standard across all levels is much more consistent. There are also training shows where people can take their young horses for competition experience, some where the judge will give you a mini lesson after the test, those are a great idea and very useful. I also judge and it is not fun having to watch someone struggling and overtaxing their misfortunate horse, plainly out of their depth. Dressage is about progressive exercises, built on developing muscles and balance, if you miss out steps you will never move forward and may harm the horse in the process.
Working with an instructor is fine and advisable but if your instructor doesnt spot a problem then you will never work on it.
Outside perspectives and judges comments are very very useful to have and enable you to progress.

Calling people deluded and no hopers is exactly the kind of attitude that perpetuates the snobby stereotype.

You do you but leave others to do what they are happy with.

The UK system works for us, our teams seem to do reasonably well coming through our system

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Working with an instructor is fine and advisable but if your instructor doesnt spot a problem then you will never work on it.
Outside perspectives and judges comments are very very useful to have and enable you to progress.

Calling people deluded and no hopers is exactly the kind of attitude that perpetuates the snobby stereotype.

You do you but leave others to do what they are happy with.

The UK system works for us, our teams seem to do reasonably well coming through our system
I doubt that any of your top competitors ever entered a class where they weren’t thoroughly prepared and capable of producing work at least a level higher than they were competing, but they are professionals and know how it all works. If your instructor doesn’t spot a problem then you don’t have a very good instructor, that’s their job, not a judge’s. There are plenty of people who are deluded if they think they can compete when they plainly are not prepared, and again that is the job of their instructor. It is not snobby to know that, it is the actual job of the judge (although expressed more politely than that on the sheet, obviously). I’d imagine that people would prefer to get higher marks and place or win in the competitions they enter?

m1stify

Visit site
I doubt that any of your top competitors ever entered a class where they weren’t thoroughly prepared and capable of producing work at least a level higher than they were competing, but they are professionals and know how it all works. If your instructor doesn’t spot a problem then you don’t have a very good instructor, that’s their job, not a judge’s. There are plenty of people who are deluded if they think they can compete when they plainly are not prepared, and again that is the job of their instructor. It is not snobby to know that, it is the actual job of the judge (although expressed more politely than that on the sheet, obviously). I’d imagine that people would prefer to get higher marks and place or win in the competitions they enter?
It’s more that you have said that they are no-hopers rather than unprepared. If that’s your attitude when you see a pairing coming up the centre line it’s a sad reflection on dressage judging. Unfortunately it’s very common I have written for many judges and verbal comments from some judges have been eye opening. They don’t put it down on the sheet though.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Cortex, why on earth are you mentioning top competitors ?? Please just keep this in context. I/we are talking grass roots and local shows (albeit, BD) Also why mention showjumping ? Entirely different kettle of fish. There are may of us who may never achieve higher than low sixties, but still manage to rise up through the ranks.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Cortex, why on earth are you mentioning top competitors ?? Please just keep this in context. I/we are talking grass roots and local shows (albeit, BD) Also why mention showjumping ? Entirely different kettle of fish. There are may of us who may never achieve higher than low sixties, but still manage to rise up through the ranks.
Because Advanced medium is not grass roots, and the original post - i.e.context - was about Adv. Medium, no? I mention showjumping as an example of unpreparedness resulting in low scoring, except for some reason dressage doesn't seem to warrant the same level of pragmatism.

It’s more that you have said that they are no-hopers rather than unprepared. If that’s your attitude when you see a pairing coming up the centre line it’s a sad reflection on dressage judging. Unfortunately it’s very common I have written for many judges and verbal comments from some judges have been eye opening. They don’t put it down on the sheet though.
Anyone who is entering a test that requires flying changes and who cannot reliably produce flying changes has no hope of meeting the requirements of that test, that is a no hoper. That's not a reflection on dressage judging, it's a reflection of the quality of the competitor and their entirely unreasonable expectation that "it'll do". I can assure you that the judge has as much hope that the competitor will do well as anyone, I've watched many a test with fingers crossed as hard as can be.

rara007

Visit site
FWIW AM 91, if you get 7.5 for everything else and 3s for every movement with a change and mess every one up, you get 70% without collectives.
AM 85, which is most people’s first, 7.5 for everything and 0 for both movements with changes = 70%

Think of the years Carl and the generation before him put in ‘no-hoper’ ing at fei and Olympic dressage, and now look where British dressage is. My main aim for the year is to be top 45 in a class that’ll be approx 90. I’ve no hope of top 10. I’ve still financially and work wise based my entire year around it! We’re hoping and on track for the best team performance of the last 15 years. (Not pure dressage, I stick to very local with that, even the few AMs I’ve done are very much grassroots, to 3 men and a dog all just waiting for their sheets.)

Last edited:

Muddywellies

Visit site
Asking the horse to attempt a movement in competition that it is not yet sufficiently trained well enough to perform correctly at home is setting it up to fail. It is not fair on the horse. Why create a worse problem?
What if the changes are fine at home, just not in a competition setting?

rara007

Visit site
Watch 30min of Badminton dressage and go and give it a go. The dressage, not the 5* eventing! Or go and watch the class you’ll enter at the show before the one you go to. 85 only has the one change each way so try to find that out. I bet it’ll be a confidence boost.

65% only = between satisfactory and fairly good. The number of people achieving tests that are on average ‘good’ (80%) is very very few, especially at below the very top levels. The nationals winning tests are averaging just better than ‘fairly good’.

millitiger

Visit site
It is two movements in a whole test in an easy AM, I don't know why people get so hung up on them.

My horse can have a ropey rein back (lateral) - we continue to work on it at home and in lessons but I'm NOT staying at Novice until his rein back is perfect!
In fact he's just done his first Medium and got 68% from a List 1 judge who said to crack on as he has loads of scope to progress.

There is a happy medium where a lot of us operate; we're not perfect but we're also not harming or upsetting our horses so what is the problem exactly?

blitznbobs

Visit site
FWIW AM 91, if you get 7.5 for everything else and 3s for every movement with a change and mess every one up, you get 70% without collectives.
AM 85, which is most people’s first, 7.5 for everything and 0 for both movements with changes = 70%

Think of the years Carl and the generation before him put in ‘no-hoper’ ing at fei and Olympic dressage, and now look where British dressage is. My main aim for the year is to be top 45 in a class that’ll be approx 90. I’ve no hope of top 10. I’ve still financially and work wise based my entire year around it! We’re hoping and on track for the best team performance of the last 15 years. (Not pure dressage, I stick to very local with that, even the few AMs I’ve done are very much grassroots, to 3 men and a dog all just waiting for their sheets.)
We didn’t become ‘hopers ‘ because of being out competed at that level for years we became ‘hopers’ because of Carl changing the training regimes in this country and going to said competitions stronger… as I have said before I don’t get this attitude at all but there’s a lot of things I don’t get , and unlike jumping a course you are not ready for the chances of dying are less - quite a low bar though tbh

blitznbobs

Visit site
It is two movements in a whole test in an easy AM, I don't know why people get so hung up on them.

My horse can have a ropey rein back (lateral) - we continue to work on it at home and in lessons but I'm NOT staying at Novice until his rein back is perfect!
In fact he's just done his first Medium and got 68% from a List 1 judge who said to crack on as he has loads of scope to progress.

There is a happy medium where a lot of us operate; we're not perfect but we're also not harming or upsetting our horses so what is the problem exactly?
No one mentioned perfect / nothing in dressage is perfect but at least your horse can go backwards on command and that is kind of the point

rara007

Visit site
We didn’t become ‘hopers ‘ because of being out competed at that level for years we became ‘hopers’ because of Carl changing the training regimes in this country and going to said competitions stronger… as I have said before I don’t get this attitude at all but there’s a lot of things I don’t get , and unlike jumping a course you are not ready for the chances of dying are less - quite a low bar though tbh
But in the 80s, they were out there, competing and learning. Plugging away from the bottom up.

The Olympics would be a class of what, 12? if that, that could seriously medal individually.

SEL

Visit site
The OP isn't saying she hasn't got changes at all she's saying they're not established - which I take to mean inconsistent.

Fluffing a change isn't the end of the world and if we all stayed in our happy winning zone then I'm forever destined to stay at Intro level and how incredibly uninspiring would that be.

I have a huge amount of respect for people who get out there and give it a go.

rara007

Visit site
OP had said the changes are ok at home. How good do they have to be before they’re considered established? Clean even with poor prep aka amateur friendly? Dead straight?
There’s plenty of horses not far off top level with questionable extended trots and even more with long short walks.
I doubt Everdale is much fun at intro!

millitiger

Visit site
No one mentioned perfect / nothing in dressage is perfect but at least your horse can go backwards on command and that is kind of the point

But he can get a 4 for his rein back sometimes.
And sometimes a 7.5!

My point is, this movement for my horse is not a guarantee, the same way the OP said changes were hit and miss?

If we take your view that my horse can go backwards in a fashion, surely getting from left to right lead in canter is a flying change in a fashion?

blitznbobs

Visit site
But he can get a 4 for his rein back sometimes.
And sometimes a 7.5!

My point is, this movement for my horse is not a guarantee, the same way the OP said changes were hit and miss?

If we take your view that my horse can go backwards in a fashion, surely getting from left to right lead in canter is a flying change in a fashion?
Yes I would agree

rara007

Visit site
Totally different sport of course so possibly a derailment, but I'll be very proud of my 45th if we're so lucky as to get there. I could just retire- being based here post brexit plus being an amateur on a budget puts us at such a disadvantage, really my horse is a consistent competitor but would need to get very lucky to bother the top 2 or 3, and the way the sport is developing at such a rate he's at risk for being old fashioned and just without the scope of the elite horses. Plus I'm just not consistent enough either.
But, 2020 the team was 11th/13, 2022 12th/16 with a team of 2 rather than 3. We're in the strongest place we've been for a long time coming in to this year. And yes that has been in part due to a support and training team overhaul, but that's also been from being out there and doing it, watching how it's done, networking, becoming confident in the environment.

teapot

Visit site
Surely going out and getting the judge’s views - so I got a 5 for that one, and 6 for the second, complete with comment, is the whole idea of competing in dressage?

Go out, see what score is, go home, improve, try again, and repeat. If you’ve only having a lesson once/twice a month, it’s another way of getting feedback too.

If you can’t take a horse out until changes are established and scoring a 7/8, the eventers may as well just give up now!