Dressage AES now actively using PRE's to improve WB breeding and rideability.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There are actually a lot of taller Iberians on the market now. So I think many breeders of Iberians have moved in that direction too.

I prefer a size of about 15.2 with good bone, personally. That size seems to be the most functional and sound for me.

I've seen a bunch of 16.2-17hh Lusos. When I set out to buy a PRE I wanted one which was the "proper" size. I nearly turned Deza down as she seemed big, and I couldn't have been more delighted that when I got her home and she let the tension go, she measured 15.3.

As you say, functional and far more likely to stay sound than one made taller by selective breeding.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I could have made my yard management happy and my life easy by buying a rising five or six year old I saw online, but it didn't look like a PRE. It looked like a little warmblood. My filly, on the other hand, looks like how I imagine PREs, and she won't be big. She's about 14hh-ish now, at 2-rising-3.

Mule

Visit site
Now there’s a tb I WOULD buy.
If tb’s had this build of old... I very much doubt the wb would have taken over dressage.
Very interesting. Look at that Iberian shoulder. I’m about to go dust off a few old racing books...
the low set neck/upright/angular hind for thrust in tbs which excelled for speed has really put the nail in the coffin for tbs in dressage but this gives me hope. Never seen this photo before despite having a family who love racing...
He's lovely and very different looking to the typical Tb. Even my ish has a build very typical of the modern tb. He also loves to gallop and jump.

Last edited:

Mule

Visit site
I actually have a mare by the PRE mentioned in the article and she is the easiest horse I've had!

I've never really had the issues riding Iberians that everyone seems to mention. A big BUT, I am already classically dressage trained, which is how I ride all of my horses Iberian or not.
What is the difference between classically trained dressage and other dressage? Is it a different way of riding?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
What is the difference between classically trained dressage and other dressage? Is it a different way of riding?
Yes it can be very different in style of riding. A lot less of 'between hand and leg', ie pushing and holding. It is a lot more seat and weight aid with very little rein aid.

The steps of training can be different too, German school likes forward, forward, forward first, while a more classical approach works on balance and suppleness first and then adds forward in later.

The head carriage is also often different.

Mule

Visit site
Yes it can be very different in style of riding. A lot less of 'between hand and leg', ie pushing and holding. It is a lot more seat and weight aid with very little rein aid.

The steps of training can be different too, German school likes forward, forward, forward first, while a more classical approach works on balance and suppleness first and then adds forward in later.

The head carriage is also often different.
How does the head carriage differ?

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Great explanations ss99. Yes having ridden both styles I would agree. I much prefer the classical. So much less compression and better for the horses, but it can be frustrating for some as results are not often seen quickly as there's no help from gadgets whatsoever (not that I'm saying everyone uses them, but there's a lot that do!). It's all got to come from the correct steps to elevation.