AHAR Animal Heaven Animal Rescue Exposed.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm lucky enough to have a stable and field separate to my yard. Most of my friends do quarantine their new horses unless they have had a strangles test.

Exactly. You are lucky. This is not normal, and done in only a small percentage of commercial livery yards that I know of. I not prepared to pay several hundred to quarantine a rescue. When I was looking for one last Autumn, I did not, and would not, contact AHAR because I could not trust what might arrive.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Did anyone ever find out what happened to Hero?

No even though there was a huge fund raiser for her and she had treatment then it all went quiet. The exposed page found out she was on an old golf course, they went there took lots of photos and a video and she looked worse than when she first came into Ahars care. They notified the authorities but before they got there AHAR turned up and took her away(what a co-incidence)

Next she was shown having some treatment then nothing, no one but Ahar knows where she is or whether she is still alive and anyone that asks on their page is deleted and blocked, Im guessing its not good news as it would be plastered all over their facebook page as one of their successes.

Kaylum

Visit site
Exactly. You are lucky. This is not normal, and done in only a small percentage of commercial livery yards that I know of. I not prepared to pay several hundred to quarantine a rescue. When I was looking for one last Autumn, I did not, and would not, contact AHAR because I could not trust what might arrive.

A rescue should already have been in quarantine from where they are rescued to and all health checks done and treated before moving anywhere surely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A rescue should already have been in quarantine from where they are rescued to and all health checks done and treated before moving anywhere surely.
Yes. The sometimes much maligned RSPCA do this as a matter of course. Even animals returning from approved foster homes have to undergo a 3 week quarantine period before mixing with the rehomers. They are all vet, dentist, farrier, worming checked too.

ycbm

Visit site

Absolutely. And I applied to all the rescues who run that way. Sending horses out without quarantine first and expecting the many people at the rehoming end to do it instead is totally irresponsible.

June08

Visit site
I have my own equestrian property but before I owned it I was in livery and all the liveries ( or should I say decent liveries) had quarantine or else you run the risk of infecting all the horses on the yard.

June08

Visit site
People buy horses every day of the week and don't test them for strangles. Even with a five stage vetting it does not get tested for. So is every person that buys a horse irresponsible ? Most charity's out there pay their staff and unfortunately most medium/big charity's pay their top staff big bucks it makes for very sad reading, £150 thousand plus for one person with all the rest of the staff how much goes one the animals.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Depends what source you are getting your horse from doesn't it? If it has been mingling with lots of others, who have been mingling with lots of others and likely had insufficient vet care the risk is much higher than if you are purchasing one worth a 5 stage vetting.

I have yet to come across a livery yard decent or not that quarantines but it seems to depend on area, quite a lot in some areas are requiring testing instead these days.

Of course most charities pay staff, it is totally normal, they don't ever claim they don't?

June08

Visit site
That's ridiculous every horse I've ever bought has been worthy of a five stage vetting and has had it before buying, but they have still had to spend at least 3 weeks in quarantine once I bought them.they gave all com from reputable sources. Horses as you know generally come from busy yards and have been out on the show circuit . I have never yet, touch wood, had a horse with strangles or anything else but would never take the risk.

June08

Visit site
Yawn good night to this entire thread. I've got better things to spend my time on. I can see from all your post history you all spend a lot of time on here, which I don't. Good luck to you all, get out there and save some horses.

ycbm

Visit site
Yawn good night to this entire thread. I've got better things to spend my time on. I can see from all your post history you all spend a lot of time on here, which I don't. Good luck to you all, get out there and save some horses.

I think a lot of them should just be shot, to be frank. There are so many which are surplus to requirements.AHAR aren't saving any horses in terms of numbers, they are just changing which individual horses are shot. And perpetuating a situation where people breed when there is no market for the product.

ycbm

Visit site
Depends what source you are getting your horse from doesn't it? If it has been mingling with lots of others, who have been mingling with lots of others and likely had insufficient vet care the risk is much higher than if you are purchasing one worth a 5 stage vetting.

I have yet to come across a livery yard decent or not that quarantines but it seems to depend on area, quite a lot in some areas are requiring testing instead these days.

Of course most charities pay staff, it is totally normal, they don't ever claim they don't?

There are at least thirty yards in this area within an hour of me that offer livery, Ester. I know of only one that quarantines and that is because they are a hunting yard (co run the hunt) and have fifty liverties and run events. They cannot afford a lock down situation. I don't think it's very common.

paddi22

Visit site

yeah i plan on saving horses by stopping them getting to ahar in the first place! I'm sure you do have better things to be doing with your time, such as encouraging a charity to keep puppy farmers busy at fairs. Go you!n I'm not surprised you're tired, you're neck must be exhausted swiviling around so much so you can turn a blind eye.

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
Horses as you know generally come from busy yards and have been out on the show circuit .

oh are we playing a new game called 'horses as you know"

can i play too?

"Horses, as you know, generally are fluent in french, but struggle with the slavic languages as the vowels are too tricky for their horsey tongues"

JJS

Visit site

I've never yet come across a yard that quarantines either, nor have I come across one that requires testing, June08. But then, unlike rescues, private owners tend to know the provenance of the horses they're purchasing. AHAR very clearly doesn't, and should thus be imposing much more stringent measures to ensure that their equines are healthy before they rehome.

Dave's Mam

Visit site

can i play too?

"Horses, as you know, generally are fluent in french, but struggle with the slavic languages as the vowels are too tricky for their horsey tongues"

Mine has a Moorish brogue, tinged with Northern English.

By the way, you owe me for the gulp of beer I just spat all over myself.

LadySam

Visit site

can i play too?

woo.jpg

Kaylum

Visit site
It is a requirement of the NEWC membership to have quarantine facilities and for every new animal coming onto the premises to be quarantined. To keep membership they will inspect the premises yearly to make sure you have these facilities, along with a massive list of other requirements.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I've never yet come across a yard that quarantines either, nor have I come across one that requires testing, June08. But then, unlike rescues, private owners tend to know the provenance of the horses they're purchasing. AHAR very clearly doesn't, and should thus be imposing much more stringent measures to ensure that their equines are healthy before they rehome.
Provenance that was the word I was looking for, going to shows and coming from busy yards (if indeed they do?!?) is not comparable with the infection risk of having done the fairs circuit and met everyone in between.

Both mine came from the yard down the road so :p. All the cases of strangles I have known in recent times have come from something with a dubious sales history.

MiniMilton

Visit site
I have bought from sales and fairs, and I would never bring them home and just let them mix with the others. Always always a 3 week quarentine. I'd doubt i'm some sort of rarity. Admittedly if I bought from a private seller that I trusted (and I would always quiz if they mixed with new horses recently) I probably wouldnt be as strict with the quarentine. But coming from a fair...

I have helped out other equine charities in Ireland and they have quarentine facilities. It should be compulsary for any rescue. A "rescue" buying at a fair and doing a quick turnaround and rehoming without quarentine is highly irresponsible

Chocolate moonbeam

Visit site
It states they have found no serious welfare issues. Any issues that have been found such as the lack of a map to some rented grazing have obviously been dealt with satisfactorily and been closed down.