Albion K2 Jump- honest opinions?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
For me, way back years before i was a fitter, it was too blocky, too much saddle. I ended up with a used Prestige after selling my K2 at a big loss.

Workshops in Walsall currently vary, we're back on 8 weeks manufacturing but Black Country and many others have been closed for some time, may be open again now, not sure.

Michen

Visit site
For me, way back years before i was a fitter, it was too blocky, too much saddle. I ended up with a used Prestige after selling my K2 at a big loss.

Workshops in Walsall currently vary, we're back on 8 weeks manufacturing but Black Country and many others have been closed for some time, may be open again now, not sure.

Thanks sbloom. What’s your thoughts on the dual flap ideal impala (need a dual flap!)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Had a K2 jump and loved it, was like sitting in an arm chair and felt super secure... BUT... my leg position in it was awful, it really seemed to encourage my leg to swing back and I'd end up pitched forward. Have a cheapy John Whitaker on one horse and a Devoucoux monoflap on the other now, don't feel any less secure and my leg position is far better.

teapot

Visit site
Have ridden in the old one and new one - much prefer the old one, but not something I'd personally go for as does weird things to my lower leg. I feel secure on top but lower leg very much not secure... My thighs are ridiculously long too. Horses went well in them however. Never had a numb bum.

Had a K2 jump and loved it, was like sitting in an arm chair and felt super secure... BUT... my leg position in it was awful, it really seemed to encourage my leg to swing back and I'd end up pitched forward. Have a cheapy John Whitaker on one horse and a Devoucoux monoflap on the other now, don't feel any less secure and my leg position is far better.

Not just me then? My lower leg's all over the place in a new K2 at both hack/lazy flat and jump length; it doesnt move in other saddles.

Last edited:

sportsmansB

Visit site
My bestie had a K2 jump and I used to ride her horse in it. I found there was too much saddle - I was riding on the saddle not the horse, if that makes sense.
Can't comment on long hacks, I only hopped on when he was being bold.
I would recommend trying a used prestige too if you can, they have loads of double flap models and I find them the right balance between secure and comfy, but still having contact with the horse.

ihatework

Visit site
I haven’t ridden in the newer models but the K2 jump was my go to when I was riding and jumping still - allrounder stuff/hunting/1-1.10m.

You’ll find people either love or loathe the K2 jump. It’s quite a secure blocky saddle. Having ridden more recently (only hacking and galloping) in a more premium range of saddles I can see why the pros wouldn’t bother with the K2 jump.

That said, it doesn’t matter what I, Joe Bloggs on the internet, or famous pro up the road thinks or likes. It’s what YOU like. For the type of riding you do it could suit you very well.

FWIW I much prefer riding in the Albion over the Ideal or Wexford, but again that’s just me.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
That said, it doesn’t matter what I, Joe Bloggs on the internet, or famous pro up the road thinks or likes. It’s what YOU like.

this

e.g. i hated my double flap Impala, i could never get in balance over it, i was better in the old GP I had before it. but plenty of people love them.

Michen

Visit site
I had heard the prestige type saddles really aren't good for being in for long periods of time, not just because of the minimal panel surface area but also the tree not being built for prolonged/hard use like that. One saddler said if you used it like that it would only last a few years! That was just a random person I spoke to who was selling saddles on line the other day though :D

Michen

Visit site
Argggh don't know what to do. I need a saddle literally now, and I know the Impala and K2 fit... so basically need to just buy either one and then when fitter comes in a month I could sell it on or put it on the "other" horse.

I was about to buy this one

https://www.penfoldssaddlery.co.uk/products/second-hand-ideal-impala-jumping

And can trial it too. Not sure why the girth straps look odd though...?

Tricky.

Roxylola

Visit site
Girth straps look odd i think because the first one is a point strap, which it could be a bonus if you need one, or a pain if you don't. You might get away with using the back two though - they might be on separate webbing

Michen

Visit site
Girth straps look odd i think because the first one is a point strap, which it could be a bonus if you need one, or a pain if you don't. You might get away with using the back two though - they might be on separate webbing

What's a point strap lol?

Would it be on both sides?

Roxylola

Visit site
Point strap basically secures the saddle at the front - it has some specific purpose ie stops the saddle going forward or back (I'm not honestly sure) its attached to the area where the point of tree is so further forward than normal
Yes I'd expect the same on both sides
Common on dressage saddles, mine has one but using it lifted the back so I use the back too as then it stays flat

pixie27

Visit site
I tried the K2 on my old TB and hated it - felt too perched on top and as he could be a bit explosive, it didn't feel like a secure place to be! I bought a second hand Ideal Impala and loooooved it. Comfy, secure, kept me onboard when by all rights (and riding ability) I should've been dumped. Hugely regret selling it.

But I've also had loads of friends buy and love the K2...

Can you trial both, then make up your mind?

Michen

Visit site
Point strap basically secures the saddle at the front - it has some specific purpose ie stops the saddle going forward or back (I'm not honestly sure) its attached to the area where the point of tree is so further forward than normal
Yes I'd expect the same on both sides
Common on dressage saddles, mine has one but using it lifted the back so I use the back too as then it stays flat

Hmmm so couldn't just use the back two straps?

Roxylola

Visit site
Probably yes
Technically, from a safety point of view the back 2 straps are traditionally attached to the saddle using the same piece of webbing. If that piece breaks and you're on the back 2 then you've no girth - that's the logic behind always using the first strap.
Girthing arrangements are changeable, you can add or remove straps so I can't see it being an issue in the long term. In the short term, I'd use the back 2 but it might not be the best idea for long term

Roxylola

Visit site
Theyre attached individually, might find your saddle creeps back just using those though - not a long term issue as its fixable

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
What's a point strap lol?

Would it be on both sides?

Attached to the tree points, both sides, designed to drop the girth towards a forward girth groove, helpful to stop saddles moveing forwards. Not to be used on a tree that's a little too curvy, or where, for other rteasons, it may pull the front of the saddlw down. Brilliant when used correctly. Asymmetric girthing is a thing, but it's rare that you'd use a point strap on one side and not the other.

Maybe, depends on the shape of your horse. Using the wrong girth straps can have serious consequesnces over the long term, even short term it could cause slippage.

Technically, from a safety point of view the back 2 straps are traditionally attached to the saddle using the same piece of webbing. If that piece breaks and you're on the back 2 then you've no girth - that's the logic behind always using the first strap.

In a quality saddle the chances of this happening are super rare, I've not had it happen in 12 years. The saddle shown doesn't look to me like it would share a piece of webbing, the saddle I fit have four straps and the two middle straps share webbing.

I can't quote the question about the Impala, I would err on the side of the Ideal, I don't fit either (I only fit one brand) but I'd say I generally prefer the fit of Ideals than Albions, but all saddle fitters have their own approach and favourites. Ultimately different riders have vastly different preferences, you could compare thigh length etc with people that like each saddle but it still won't be remotely definitive for which you'd prefer.

Michen

Visit site
Attached to the tree points, both sides, designed to drop the girth towards a forward girth groove, helpful to stop saddles moveing forwards. Not to be used on a tree that's a little too curvy, or where, for other rteasons, it may pull the front of the saddlw down. Brilliant when used correctly. Asymmetric girthing is a thing, but it's rare that you'd use a point strap on one side and not the other.

Maybe, depends on the shape of your horse. Using the wrong girth straps can have serious consequesnces over the long term, even short term it could cause slippage.

In a quality saddle the chances of this happening are super rare, I've not had it happen in 12 years. The saddle shown doesn't look to me like it would share a piece of webbing, the saddle I fit have four straps and the two middle straps share webbing.

I can't quote the question about the Impala, I would err on the side of the Ideal, I don't fit either (I only fit one brand) but I'd say I generally prefer the fit of Ideals than Albions, but all saddle fitters have their own approach and favourites. Ultimately different riders have vastly different preferences, you could compare thigh length etc with people that like each saddle but it still won't be remotely definitive for which you'd prefer.

Thanks Sbloom. Sounds like I'm best holding out for normal girth straps as I i'd have to pay to have them swapped to normal ones.

J1993

Visit site
It might be worth shopping around. I've just bought a new K2 on an Adjusta tree for 1000. It had a few scuffs on the cantle but was in otherwise perfect condition. From doing research I would say average price is between 1-1.4. So would say yours is at the higher bracket. I've been riding in a dressage saddle for the last 12 months. Rode in this when it came and was like woah this will take some getting used to. As someone has said above my lower leg was all over the place, after a few rides I got used to it and was more conscious of keeping my legs still. I havent yet jumped in it. I did think even if I don't like it for what I paid at least I will be able to sell it on if I don't like it. As someone else has said it doesnt matter about the saddle as its all about you and your horse.

Scarlett

Visit site
They are absolutely a marmite saddle. I know folk who love them, but personally you couldn't pay me enough to ride in one. Absolutely hideous. Waaay too much saddle. Too blocky. I've refused/declined to get on horses with them on.

If you like the blocks, and they are in the right position for you then I guess it might be OK. If they don't suit though your screwed. I have a long thigh and just don't fit in the ones I've sat in.

I ride in Cc saddles, mostly Equipe, so the K2 is absolutely the other end of the spectrum. I bought a Black Country Quantum recently and found it to be an excellent middle ground option. Cc tree, flock panel, close feel.

At the end of the day saddle choice is totally individual. If you've sat in it and it's felt good then go for it.

Michen

Visit site
Ok ridiculous question as rode in an Ideal impala dual flap today and tried a friends Albion kontrol last week. Bear in mind I've never ridden in a jump saddle that I can recall or even any other saddle other than my monarch (which is technically a jump saddle but more of a VSJ) for about 6 years..

My knees aren't.. flush with the saddle? I feel like they are sort of opened and sticking out.. not sure how to describe it. With both saddles. I feel like I'm not "closed" on the saddle, is this normal!? I probably am making no sense lol!

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but I'm so used to my monarch.. I have a feeling the K2 may well feel more similar to the monarch...

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I wonder if the twist is too wide for you or your stirrups are too short? When a saddle is too wide for me my body does weird things. Or perhaps the flap isn't right. Photos could help us try to sort out what's going on. I've had this experience before, but can't remember what exactly caused it. Been years since I've had a jump saddle.

Michen

Visit site
I wonder if the twist is too wide for you or your stirrups are too short? When a saddle is too wide for me my body does weird things. Or perhaps the flap isn't right. Photos could help us try to sort out what's going on. I've had this experience before, but can't remember what exactly caused it. Been years since I've had a jump saddle.

I think if anything my stirrups were too long.. longer than you'd jump in anyway.

Hmm. I'll try and get a photo as maybe need to try it again.

Roxylola

Visit site
I think it depends where the blocks are as well, maybe if you were jocked up to jump your legs would sit better. I always felt like my lower leg was really secure in my albion, I don't remember any issue with my knee being on or off particularly though

Michen

Visit site
Hmm ok. I mean, the saddle is more for hacking than jumping given that's where most of our time is really spent. But it needs to be for jumping too if that makes sense.

I find GP saddles TOO straight cut...my monarch is the perfect combo.

Feck, am I ever going to give that damn saddle up!?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Did you try any from Black Country? I find them very comfortable (the seats seem well padded).

I would play with your stirrup length a bit (maybe shorter then?) And see what happens. Could just not be the right saddles for you.

I'm very particular with dressage saddles and it's quite annoying ?