All these barefoot posts.....

Goldenstar

Visit site
No, white line disease is hidden by the shoes and a huge proportion of shod horses have it.

Thrush is in the frog, not the sole or the hoof wall, and the treatments recommended are completely harmless if the horse does not actually have it, so better safe than sorry, in my book.

That's where I am too even before I got into this naked joined toes feet hoof thing thrush in more noticeable without shoes with naked feet or whatever because the frogs have more contact with the ground .
My horses don't get thrush because I am always on top of there foot/hoof or whatever hygiene but I always was that's nothing to do with barefoot ( gosh that's easier).

Delta99

Visit site
No, white line disease is hidden by the shoes and a huge proportion of shod horses have it.

Thrush is in the frog, not the sole or the hoof wall, and the treatments recommended are completely harmless if the horse does not actually have it, so better safe than sorry, in my book.

I know what thrush is, thank you and believe me, it is hard to mistake it.

But I do think a lot of people are using it as an excuse to explain why their horse is footy.
And I would not class bleach as harmless....

rhino

Visit site
I've seen you post this often before Rhino and never posted, but I can't let you carry on, sorry ;)

I wasn't aware I had posted that before, and a search of my posts on here would back that up, unless you know any 'better'. Please can you point out where I've ever used that phrase? And I'll 'carry on' as long as I like thank you, it is a public forum and I am breaking none of the terms or conditions ;)

Why not 'foot' boots then? Or 'foot' rasps? Barefoot to me, and to a lot of others, smacks of fluffy anthropomorphia and not the professional image that could otherwise be. In my opinion :D

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
"Lame in the right forefoot".

The question is always "which foot is he lame on" and never "which hoof is he lame on" etc etc etc.

I've never heard the former and the latter is always "which leg is he lame on?" followed by a discussion of whether the lameness is in the hoof or higher up after that, round here. "no foot, no horse" has always wound me up for the same reason, as it happens.

cptrayes

Visit site
I wasn't aware I had posted that before, and a search of my posts on here would back that up, unless you know any 'better'. Please can you point out where I've ever used that phrase? And I'll 'carry on' as long as I like thank you, it is a public forum and I am breaking none of the terms or conditions ;)

Why not 'foot' boots then? Or 'foot' rasps? Barefoot to me, and to a lot of others, smacks of fluffy anthropomorphia and not the professional image that could otherwise be. In my opinion :D

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh! Get you :D I'm so sorry I wrote it incorrectly Rhino, what I meant was "I cannot allow you to carry on uncorrected".

Yes, why not "foot boots". And why not "no hoof no horse". Both terms are used.

Purple Duck

Visit site
I REALLY hope that someone can answer a question for me...

Is "Barefoot" not the same as "Un-shod"?

Neither of my mares wear shoes and they are trimmed by a farrier (same farrier for approx14 years!!) And neither of them have Ever worn shoes!

xXx

amandap

Visit site
So does shoes to me actually.

Re frogs and trimming. Frogs should be able to grow a thick calloused covering for protection. Constantly trimming it stops this happening and actually allows thrush to invade easily. I think when trimming stops any thrush hanging around then gets more of a hold because diseased tissue isn't constantly trimmed away. Hence need for treatment in barefoot horses until callous and strong frog develops. Just my thinking not fact! Except the bit about the frog callousing. Thrush does not always smell or look black btw. It can be so deep in the central sulcus it can invade the corium and even digital cushion. Thrush is something to take seriously imo.
Here's some healthy frogs with tough covering/callous. http://www.progressivehorse.co.uk/h.../www.progressivehorse.co.uk/html/pin-ups.html

dafthoss

Visit site

Dont tell the yellow pony that or he will say he cant do any thing because he is a fluffy bunny and an utter diva :mad::eek::p although I think he would pull off a big set of bunny ears :cool::D

rhino

Visit site
So does shoes to me actually.

Or to give them their full name, horseshoes ;)

Dont tell the yellow pony that or he will say he cant do any thing because he is a fluffy bunny and an utter diva :mad::eek::p although I think he would pull off a big set of bunny ears :cool::D

These ones. Sparkly and they'd blend in well

417D-1sDrLL.jpg

debsg

Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I don't really refer to mine as anything, the farrier comes, trims hooves and goes. They are not barefoot though, they are just , well I don't really know, I do know though I don't get a barefoot blinking trimmer, my fully trained farrier does the job just fine . :)
I don't get a 'barefoot blinking trimmer' either, just a farrier who knows how to do a proper performance trim as opposed to a pasture trim. Mine costs £15. But I'm not opposed to a good barefoot trimmer either. I choose not to have one because my particular farrier trims well. My previous farrier SHOD well, but would only pasture trim and was averse to taking shoes off. He was not supportive of me taking my cob barefoot, or keeping my youngster barefoot. His loss, not mine.
I call mine barefoot because that's what I call them. Some people say 'toilet', some say 'lavatory' and some say 'loo' - at the end of the day it's a receptacle to pee in!
Unshod/barefoot? Does it REALLY matter what you call it, or who does it. As long as the job is done well, horse is sound and owner is happy.

dafthoss

Visit site
*hides computer so that yellow pony never sees this* :p He would love them though, he has a set of antlers for christmas so he could be the easter bunny as well :D.

Horseyscot

Visit site
I REALLY hope that someone can answer a question for me...

Is "Barefoot" not the same as "Un-shod"?

Neither of my mares wear shoes and they are trimmed by a farrier (same farrier for approx14 years!!) And neither of them have Ever worn shoes!

xXx

My point exactly, but somewhere in the last few years, 'barefoot' has been born. But all of us with unshod, or without shoes equines know nothing and should call in the 'professional' barefoot trimmers pronto.....

cptrayes

Visit site
I wasn't aware I had posted that before, and a search of my posts on here would back that up, unless you know any 'better'. Please can you point out where I've ever used that phrase?

OK, can't find any posts where you have said it before, so I am confusing you with someone else who has said it often. Apologies. What I have found, though, is post after post after post of yours on all sorts of other threads referring to horses feet, so now I am wondering why you posted that they don't have any.

rhino

Visit site
OK, can't find any posts where you have said it before, so I am confusing you with someone else who has said it often. Apologies. What I have found, though, is post after post after post of yours on all sorts of other threads referring to horses feet, so now I am wondering why you posted that they don't have any.

I'm just an humble little horse owner, not trying to market any revolutionary new way of managing horses :D I also call my horse ginger though that's not technically correct!

Apology accepted ;)

cptrayes

Visit site
So cptrayes, ten years ago, we're your horses unshod or barefoot????

Neither.

They were shod, because for 25 years I fell hook line and sinker for the line the farriers sold me that all horses that do roadwork need shoes.

It was the barefoot movement from America that alerted me to the fact that this was not true and I bless them for it every single day.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My point exactly, but somewhere in the last few years, 'barefoot' has been born. But all of us with unshod, or without shoes equines know nothing and should call in the 'professional' barefoot trimmers pronto.....

Horseyscot why can't people call it what they like its no skin off your nose if your without shoes horses ( or whatever ) are happy great no ones telling you what to do think or whatever.
But if people post threads asking questions people are going to answer surely that's good, they can call what they are doing anything they like, they can have anyone they trust trim there horses feet/ hooves how does that affect you ?
I don't remember anyone saying that people who are happy with there foot care arrangements they should change.
But if ask what do you do or how do you people will answer I don't see why that's an issue for you.

cptrayes

Visit site

I think you need to question why it makes you feel so insecure that someone wants to call their horse barefoot.

No-one on this forum ever tells anyone with a sound horse with no shoes on that they need to change anything or that they know nothing.

So why does it disturb you so much?

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Is the frog never trimmed at all in "barefoot " horses then?

Speaking only for my self my horse has had no trimming to his frog for six months whenI took his shoes neither has anything been trimmed from his soles.
I am lucky I have quite coarse silica sand in my school and they all have fab clean frogs. My farrier was always hacking lumps off them not sure why.

cptrayes

Visit site
Is the frog never trimmed at all in "barefoot " horses then?

Only if there are flappy bits that might trap infection. Otherwise, we leave well alone because the frog goes very packed and leathery and is very resistant to stones, so you don't want to disturb the outer surface if you don't need to.

Contrary to what has been said though, thrush is not always easy to spot, it sometimes burrows little holes down into the frog which can get deep if they are missed and it does love to hide in a deep central sulcus too, and make it deeper over time.

amandap

Visit site
I think you need to question why it makes you feel so insecure that someone wants to call their horse barefoot.

No-one on this forum ever tells anyone with a sound horse with no shoes on that they need to change anything or that they know nothing.

So why does it disturb you so much?
Yes I was trying to post when my internet went down again. Must be the witching hour as it did it last night at this time.

Barefoot has certainly got people talking and strangely even if it irritates or irates they keep coming back for more. :D
ps. Renaming and reclassifying has always happened. Not that long ago people with mental illness were called idiots. Idiot has a different meaning these days.

Last edited by a moderator: