All this talk of weight.....

Puddock

Visit site
ooo hes lovely, looks very strong. Looks like could easily carry a 15 stone and then some! But maybe woudl be nicer not to due to his age ;) - although to be fair.. he doenst look it! :eek:

As, thanks Alaina :eek: yours is a gorgeous creature too, I do like big horses with lots of bone. If mine were shod, shoes would no doubt be special-order too. As it is, I can't find hoof boots to fit the old dinner plates. Never seen the like of it before.

I agree re the weight too, incidentally. I think 15st would easily have been manageable a few years back. He doesn't have to carry that now, though, so a moot point I guess. Still working on building muscle and top line even at his age, though. Just so I know in my own mind he is as strong as poss.

alainax

Visit site
Sorry alainix did I offend you somehow? I didn't mean to. Your horse looks fabulous - like he/she could carry a man out hunting all day and not break a sweat.

You are welcome to have Marjorie after today's performance......!
Oh my goodness no! You didnt offend me in the slightest! was a great comment! I was blushing at you calling him stunning :D I agree with the weight you said :)

Yay! ive always wanted an arab :p

As, thanks Alaina :eek: yours is a gorgeous creature too, I do like big horses with lots of bone. If mine were shod, shoes would no doubt be special-order too. As it is, I can't find hoof boots to fit the old dinner plates. Never seen the like of it before.

I agree re the weight too, incidentally. I think 15st would easily have been manageable a few years back. He doesn't have to carry that now, though, so a moot point I guess. Still working on building muscle and top line even at his age, though. Just so I know in my own mind he is as strong as poss.

Thanks :) ah i know the feeling! Ive found it almost impossible to get over reach boots!

He is looking great for his age :) well.. for any age! :D

biggingerpony

Visit site
Puddock, can't really comment on your horse as I literally don't have the foggiest apart from he looks gorgeous. But I wanted to say i love your boots!

Puddock

Visit site
Cheers Alaina, that was last summer and been dealing with one thing and another since then, so he looks a bit more his age now, unfortunately. Aiming to get back to being that shiny and happy again, though.

biggingerpony - they're the "controversial" Dublin ones. Not popular in some quarters ;) but I love them. In fact, they were an engagement pressie - I said I'd rather have something more useful than a ring... Eventually got one of those too, mind :D

JackAT

Visit site
Dear Puddock and alainax,

I think both of your horses are capable of carrying 16 stone, I weigh 14, which is all the more reason why I should have them. Absolute stunners! Obviously, I can completely empathise with you should you choose to keep hold of them.

From
Jack.

P.S. You lucky so-and-so's.

:D

alainax

Visit site
Dear Puddock and alainax,

I think both of your horses are capable of carrying 16 stone, I weigh 14, which is all the more reason why I should have them. Absolute stunners! Obviously, I can completely empathise with you should you choose to keep hold of them.

From
Jack.

P.S. You lucky so-and-so's.

:D

hehe! :D:p Thanks :) hes a big woose though, scared of his own shadow at times :p all that might and a big jessie :p

Caol Ila

Visit site

My horse agrees. She's decided Alainax's horse is her boyfriend. She's not even in season and today, she was still nuzzling him over the fence. Amazing, as she normally likes to attack other horses!

IMAG0255_zps14e36d6b.jpg

Last edited:

windand rain

Visit site
You have my admiration I complain about the grass being short but at least my fields are green. Pleased I live in sunny dry if a bit windy Lincolnshire. Although there are muddy areas I am lucky and mine are on sand. Never grows much grass but it suits my fat Highlands
Oh I hail from the north was brought up in Elgin in Morayshire

Puddock

Visit site
My horse agrees. She's decided Alainax's horse is her boyfriend. She's not even in season and today, she was still nuzzling him over the fence. Amazing, as she normally likes to attack other horses!

IMAG0255_zps14e36d6b.jpg

Aw, romance blooming in the most unlikely of surroundings! We are wading through mud at the moment too. Well, the horses are. Lucky for me I'm on my hols in sunny Barbados...:D

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Ooooo Interesting! How about this one??

rooooooooooooooooo_zps1c4cb894.png

15/15.1 TB 21 years old.

Ten stone max. I would be worried about his feet. The hoof pastern axis is broken and the toes are way too long. He could have some reverse rotation going on or at the very least, damage will be being done. Sorry, I know you didn't ask, but it needs sorting. Beautiful horse.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'll play. My horse (without all the heavy duty rain gear on). 16.1hh 19-year old Shire-TBX and a far more feral-looking version of the breed than the bay horse above. :)

IMAG0125.jpg

(kind of academic from my perspective, as I'm about 8.5 stone)

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I'll play. My horse (without all the heavy duty rain gear on). 16.1hh 19-year old Shire-TBX and a far more feral-looking version of the breed than the bay horse above. :)

IMAG0125.jpg

(kind of academic from my perspective, as I'm about 8.5 stone)

I reckon she could comfortably carry two of you! Unusual saddle, what is it?

Caol Ila

Visit site
I reckon she could comfortably carry two of you! Unusual saddle, what is it?

It's meant to be a dressage saddle, but it was designed by people who made Western and endurance saddles, so it's how someone who made Western and endurance saddles might imagine a dressage saddle if they had never seen one (days before the internet...remember those?).

The main point of it is that it sits on those reactor panels that flex to the shape of the horse. I got it about 17 years ago after getting fed up with buying new saddle/reflocking/padding/crying a lot whenever my horse changed shape.

Last edited:

biggingerpony

Visit site
Wagtail - thanks for your comments im under 9st so weightwise im fine. Interesting you mentioned her hooves i cant see how u can make judgements like that on one very average pic alone.. on a thread with pics taken the same day no-one commented they were too long. Infact i had very positive comments. Anyway ill let my farrier, the expert, deal with it.thank you for your.help.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Wagtail - thanks for your comments im under 9st so weightwise im fine. Interesting you mentioned her hooves i cant see how u can make judgements like that on one very average pic alone.. on a thread with pics taken the same day no-one commented they were too long. Infact i had very positive comments. Anyway ill let my farrier, the expert, deal with it.thank you for your.help.

You didn't take that very well did you? I am sorry, but when I see a problem like that screaming out at me and a horse that would be suffering because of it, I am going to say something. Imagine walking around on your heels with your toes turned upwards - that is what your horse is doing. If your farrier is happy with those feet then you need a new farrier. :)

Auslander

Visit site
No suggestions, but he would suit me perfectly! :) stunning and my type of horse!

Aww - thank you! He's a absolute out and out star! He's got 226 dressage points, and was very consistent up to PSG level in his younger days - despite not having funky warmblood paces. He's slowly coming back into work after nearly a year off with hind suspensory/SI problems, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can cope with a bit of work. He's my dream horse...

Auslander

Visit site

Hey! Wagtail was trying to help! FWIW, I agree with her. The horse would benefit greatly from better farriery. We owe it to our oldies to give them the best care we can to keep them ticking over in their twilight years.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Aww - thank you! He's a absolute out and out star! He's got 226 dressage points, and was very consistent up to PSG level in his younger days - despite not having funky warmblood paces. He's slowly coming back into work after nearly a year off with hind suspensory/SI problems, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can cope with a bit of work. He's my dream horse...

The Shire-TBX's are great horses (though mine isn't so accomplished as yours). Is your guy half and half?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Hey! Wagtail was trying to help! FWIW, I agree with her. The horse would benefit greatly from better farriery. We owe it to our oldies to give them the best care we can to keep them ticking over in their twilight years.

Thank you Auslander. I never want to upset people but sometimes you take that risk when offering up 'unasked for' advice. I just can't help myself when I see an obvious problem. I would hope that others would say something to me if they spot a problem I am unaware of. I hope that biggingerpony will take it seriously for the sake of her lovely horse.

Cheiro1

Visit site

Woah, Wagtail was trying to be helpful!!

FWIW I agree with her, your horse would benefit greatly from a change of farrier.

Sometimes we have to stuff our ego in the cupboard and listen, for the sake of our horses.

I have made invaluable changes to my horses management from things people have said on here!

Auslander

Visit site
The Shire-TBX's are great horses (though mine isn't so accomplished as yours). Is your guy half and half?

As far as we know. He came over from Ireland as a 4year old (already a failed showjumper!!) and I haven't been able to find out anything about his early days over there. He looks very agricultural if I don't keep on top of the hair removal, so he's definitely at least half! He has feathers AND a great big beard!

Caol Ila

Visit site
The feathers you see on my horse are as good as she gets them. That's as hairy as she gets in general. Hasn't seen flippers since 2002. And she's definitely half and half. I'd be happy with lots more feather, but otherwise she's