Alternatives to mane pulling

The_Dappled_One.

Visit site
Scissors and then chop into it vertically so it looks less like a bowl cut. My lad goes crazy if you dare touch his mane with intention to pull so it's what I have to do.

The razor or old clipper blade trick sounds like it would work, I wouldn't trust myself though :)

QueenDee_

Visit site
For those who use mane/tail rakes, are there any ones you'd particularly recommend? Or recommend avoiding? And do you use thin, medium or coarse ones?

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm quite good with scissors. I blunt cut to just a fraction longer than I want it, then cut upwards to give a nice finish. On a thin mane it will look exactly like a pulled mane. On thicker manes I cut into the underside to thin it out - it doesn't give as good a finish as pulling, in all honesty, but I'm not sure anything does. It comes quite close though, as I've had quite a lot of practice. I've got a very thick mane as a work in progress atm and I did use a rake on that. I've never used one before but it has given a pretty decent finish, although I did then level things out a bit with scissors. I still need to thin the top section more though but it took me a while as the horse has a very long neck and a super thick mane! He won't need to be plaited anytime soon so I'm not worried about that, he just needs to look smart with his mane loose.

donkeyindisguise

Visit site
Thank you everyone :) I've been out and bought myself a rake today, will see how I get on with it! We aren't going out to parties anytime soon so if I can't plait it's not the end of the world for now :)
Sounds like a lot of you use scissors too, so might have to practice a bit with them

Lyle

Visit site
I use scissors :) Back comb if very long, otherwise every few weeks I simply do an upwards snip to take a few mm off the mane. Takes all of 5 minutes, and I'm a stickler for presentation, I think it looks great!

diamonddogs

Visit site
Ive got a WelshxTB with a long mane but not too thick, luckily, but I keep it quite long normally. To smarten it up I hack it off with a pair of scissors about an inch or so longer than I want it, then I use the Solo comb, and if it's still a bit blunt I finish it off with those thinning scissors with a blade on one side and slits on the other.

A good friend of mine used to breed and show Haffies, and she swore by a steak knife!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I value my feet and ribs. Although Benji is literally horizontal about most things, touching his mane with the intention to pull it is not one of them!

I hate pulling manes so I backcomb and use a thinnning comb to take the ends off. I am lucky that most of mine have reasonably thinnish manes so they don't look like bog brushes. Mine has a wooden handle that the blade folds into it, it's my best friend. :D

Summer pudding

Visit site
I had a pro Solocomb my Connie's mane and she did the best job ever, and it still looks neat..but I can't get on with the Solocomb...which rake is best please? And why do so many other people dislike the Solocomb? Very interested to hear so many scissors users, I thought they were a complete no,no, but are used on the hunters in our yard, who always look fab!

be positive

Visit site
I had a pro Solocomb my Connie's mane and she did the best job ever, and it still looks neat..but I can't get on with the Solocomb...which rake is best please? And why do so many other people dislike the Solocomb? Very interested to hear so many scissors users, I thought they were a complete no,no, but are used on the hunters in our yard, who always look fab!

I use a Smart Tails rake, have had it for about 10 years and it gets plenty of use, I bought a solo comb but did not get on with it, it sticks, cuts lumps out if you are not really carefully and the sensitive horses tensed up just as they would if you were pulling, they all love the rake being used and I have no problems with hairs sticking up when plaiting, if the mane is very thick it is best done over a period of time and kept on top of, just as you should if you pull. I use scissors to shorten or neaten the ends, no reason why you should not as long as it is done so it looks fairly natural.

Summer pudding

Visit site
I use a Smart Tails rake, have had it for about 10 years and it gets plenty of use, I bought a solo comb but did not get on with it, it sticks, cuts lumps out if you are not really carefully and the sensitive horses tensed up just as they would if you were pulling, they all love the rake being used and I have no problems with hairs sticking up when plaiting, if the mane is very thick it is best done over a period of time and kept on top of, just as you should if you pull. I use scissors to shorten or neaten the ends, no reason why you should not as long as it is done so it looks fairly natural.
Thanks be positive....my efforts with the Solocomb were very 'lumpy'...how do you shorten with the rake?

HashRouge

Visit site

A good way to scissor cut, especially on a thin mane is to wash the mane, comb it through, then cut straight across the bottom. When the hair dries it bounces back up so it doesn't look too blunt at the ends! It's really simple, and if it still looks a bit blunt when dry, you can just feather the ends a bit :)

be positive

Visit site
Thanks be positive....my efforts with the Solocomb were very 'lumpy'...how do you shorten with the rake?

I thin with the rake, shorten either by pulling the long hairs or cutting, it takes a bit of practice to get the finish you want but is easy enough and you cannot really go wrong if you keep feeling the thickness as you work.

luckyoldme

Visit site
A rake works really well, most horses are more than happy for you to use one, it will thin as much as you want then if you are left with a few long bits it is easy to just trim them with scissors.

Having had a look at your album, your version of neat plaits and mine differ wildly.
Just wanted to say what a nasty unescesary bitchy comment.

maccachic

Visit site
I trim with scissors I hold them straight up and down and thin like that - you don't get the straight end look, most mine have had thin manes my current has a boofy mane and I had a go with it with thinning scissors and that has worked well.

I also use thinning scissors on tails and find if yo9u do little bits over a period of days you get a good look without going overboard.

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
I too have a welshie :) with a very thick mane! All I do is use the scissors, get the mane and look at what length I want it and then I just rub the scissors up and down very fast so its cutting but not straight so like rasoring but I dont have a razor haha! Works for me easier to show rather than explain. Cant have a straight pulled mane with a welshy needs to be 'natural' lol

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I too have a welshie :) with a very thick mane! All I do is use the scissors, get the mane and look at what length I want it and then I just rub the scissors up and down very fast so http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=12797544its cutting but not straight so like rasoring but I dont have a razor haha! Works for me easier to show rather than explain. Cant have a straight pulled mane with a welshy needs to be 'natural' lol

I know what you mean because if I can't find my thinning knife a pair of scissors (or I think I've used the baler twine knife too!) as you have described does the job. :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Rake and scissors here, I used to pull then when my hairdresser said how mean it was I thought again about it. Then I thought how can you expect a horse to be loose in his neck/spine if you spend 10 mins every fortnight (or whatever!) ripping hair out!

I have an epilator that I use on myself, but thats my choice to use it ;) :p

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
My new girl has a lovely mane with a consistent thickness so I am trying to get the hang of cutting it (still a work in progress)

Just to all those bashing pulling my old horse (who I still care for) loves having her mane pulled. She will stand in the field with no headcollar on while you do it and go to sleep. She has always liked it (owned since 3 yo). She will also mug you for a scratch so I think that is why she likes it as it as it is a similar sensation

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Mine doesn't mind it near the bottom of his neck, but he's always hated it on the upper third towards his ears - so I thought why not be nice to him and just not pull any of it :)

I have known some too who quite seem to like it - masochists ;)