Am I wrong to be annoyed?

beh

Visit site
Would you be annoyed if someone asked to you have a sit on their horse to take it for a small ride, it broncs you off in fairly spectacular fashion and its not until after that the lady tells you that it is a serial bucker, had had everyone but one person off and the last person ended up in A&E. I was not doing this for money or glory, just to help out the lady so she can exercise her other horse. I have a full time job that requires me to be physically fit and healthy, if I had ended up injured because of her unwillingness to let me know that it has a problem - I don't know what I would have done.

Am I right to be annoyed? I know horses are un predictable but she could have at least let me know that it could be an a***!

mynutmeg

Visit site
I would be super pi**ed off - it's one thing sitting on a horse and it being a muppet but when it's well known to behave like that then you tell someone before they get on it. tbh you'd have good grounds for sueing the owner if you were injured because she failed to warn you off the horse's well known (to her) bucking history

Asha

Visit site
You are absolutely right to be annoyed. she should have told you, thats just down right irresponsible.

3Beasties

Visit site
I would be annoyed BUT horse riding carries and inherrient risk and you didnt know the horse when you sat on him. Unfortunately just an accident. Did you ask if he had any issues?

I agree with this to an extent but if the horse is a known broncer, so therefore the risks are greatly increased, the owner should have made it clear to the rider.

beh

Visit site
I would be annoyed BUT horse riding carries and inherrient risk and you didnt know the horse when you sat on him. Unfortunately just an accident. Did you ask if he had any issues?

D - have to say this was my fault as well and say I didn't ask if the horse had any problems, I assumed that the owner would have divulged if it had, but I have most definitely learnt my lesson! Just one of those silly little accidents and I definitely take a slice of the blame for being so ignorant!

NativePonyLover

Visit site

I agree that any interaction with horses carries risk - but when someone knows that risk is likely to be increased significantly which appears to be the case here, then IMHO it is the responsible thing to let the person who is about to handle/ride said horse know and make their own decision - based on the increased risk.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I would be very cross, if the woman was aware of the horses issues, she should have ridden that one herself, not duped someone else into putting themselves at risk. Totally irresponsible horse owner IMO

Spring Feather

Visit site
I don't think any fault should be placed at your door OP. And I don't think it is something that most of us do asking if the horse bucks or rears before we get on ... that's something you expect an owner to tell you! Yes I might be aware that a horse might mess about with me or ride differently but a serial bucker, come on, owner should have told you end of story. I would have been annoyed at owner too.

ladyt25

Visit site
I think I would be pretty upset about it too to be honest. It's one thing agreeing to riding someone's horse that has issues and you are aware of that but it was wrong of her to not have let you know before you agreed to ride it. Having been thrown off my youngster twice in the space of a week - the last time ending in a precautionary trip to A&E and resulting in a rather bad week struggling to walk, I have first hand experience of the pain of being bronced off (I don't think I bounce like I used to!).

However, in response to Delicious D's post - I would have no qualms having an experienced rider ride my older horse at all. I believe I could say that I have utter faith he would never do anything to intentionally harm a rider - ie he won't buck/bronc/rear/run off etc etc. However, he is a horse and they can have the odd little spook so I couldn't and wouldn't on him who had no riding experience (unless led of course).

beh

Visit site
Thanks for the replies - I'm glad people don't think I was being totally negligent. Having only been at is yard for only a couple of weeks I'm yet to know all the horses.

I'm just thankful I'm young enough to still *just about* bounce :)

beh

Visit site
Did the owner apologise?

I'm not just saying this, but I honestly can't remember her actually saying "sorry" but I may have been wrong, she did say how that was the longest she'd seen anyone stay on and how nice it was to have a proper rider on the yard - it really makes me think that this was a preplanned attack. Ah we'll, live and learn!!

skint1

Visit site

Whilst this is true, this horse appears to represent more risk to its rider than the average horse.

ladyt25

Visit site
Thanks for the replies - I'm glad people don't think I was being totally negligent. Having only been at is yard for only a couple of weeks I'm yet to know all the horses.

I'm just thankful I'm young enough to still *just about* bounce :)

Would you like to get on mine.....??! :)

Natch

Visit site
I'd be having rather strong words with her. It's a sad day when the responsibility lands on us to have to ask rather than expect to be told before we rode a horse if it has any known issues. I might have been prepared to ride a known bucker but I'd have stood a lot better chance of staying on if i knew before I got on so I could sit back and grab a neckstrap or pommel if I felt a buck begin!

Fjord

Visit site
I'm not just saying this, but I honestly can't remember her actually saying "sorry" but I may have been wrong, she did say how that was the longest she'd seen anyone stay on and how nice it was to have a proper rider on the yard - it really makes me think that this was a preplanned attack. Ah we'll, live and learn!!

Shocking. The owner is very fortunate you were not injured, and so are you! I'd be fuming.

chazza44

Visit site
Surely the owner has responsibility for the horse even if someone else is riding it? To be honest it never used to cross my mind to ask about a horses quirks when jumping on as I used to assume people would tell you why you needed to know. Unfortunately having bought a 'very safe' horse that turns out to be a bit of a gymnast at times I specifically ask before I get on anything now.
That is quite naughty of the lady not to say - it makes it seem like you were a bit of an experiment for her. Very unfair, I would be very cross.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
She should most definately have told you what the horse was capable of before she offered you a ride, then at least you could have made your own mind up. I think that was a bit naughty of her really.

beh

Visit site
I don't think I dare take it any further with the owner - I did ask "when were you going to tell me about that" after the fall but got back on and managed a fairly successful ride. I think I may mention it to the YO to see what she thinks? Maybe she could have a word with the owner.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Lesson learnt. I paid £2000 for an operation on my knee several years ago as the national health said I could wait 18 months but a private surgeon said my knee needed attention straight away. I wasn't insured and the owner of the horse said she wasn't covered for me, but she was happy for me to have ridden the said horse free for 10 weeks prior to the accident.

Their horse - their problem from now on.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think that I would have thrown something back at her, like "Why is it so badly schooled, why haven't you been able to sort it out in all the time you've owned it...?" She obviously gets off on having a horse that not many people can ride. She probably thinks a lot of your riding now. Some old fashioned places/horsey people seem to think its funny scaring the wits out of new riders/employees! Not saying I think its right at all. I think its a really stupid thing to do, especially in the age of the law suit.

I'm a bit of a wierdo though, I almost prefer not to know a horse's issues or I get hung up on them, anticipating and expecting them, therefore making them more likely to actually happen, whereas if I didn't know I would just get on with it and suss things out for myself, riding much better!

Persephone

Visit site
Initially I thought how irresponsible of the owner, but it goes further than that.

She deliberately witheld information and put you in what was highly likely to be a dangerous situation. It shows a total disregard for your safety.

I think that's pretty nasty and you have every right to be angry x