An Experiment in the Use of Constructive Criticism

Baydale

Visit site
This sounds like just what i need!!

And as a doc I'm trying desperately to think what these 'uppers' might be - they sound useful!!!

I can't remember what they were called, some steroid, obviously. I could have got a nice little business going selling them when people heard how little I was sleeping and how much I was getting done. :p

Baydale

Visit site
Only watched the dressage, and he doesn't look an easy ride to me. Something doesn't seem right in the canter, can't decide whether you're using massive amounts of seat to keep him cantering or controlling him from being too onward bound by your seat. For me I would like it to look a lot more effortless somehow. The trot work was good, and the halts amazing, talk about square!
Will look forward to seeing the other vids when I get time (right now my osteopath visit looms)

I'm not being sarky, henryhorn, (in case the written word doesn't come across how I intend) but I'd like it to look effortless too, trust me. I think what you see is how staccato it gets, but with him if you send him forward more to try and soften it he gets less flex through his joints, not more, so you get fast and staccato. He was feeling particularly perky that day. :D

Hope you get tweaked and straightened in a gentle way. ;)

Baydale

Visit site
Yep agreeded have 2 with cupboard love;) but seriously go get a sports massage I ride so much better after one!:p:p

I've had proper massages on holiday but ironically that's when I need them the least. I can see all my disposable income going on pilates, mechanical horse sessions and physio, osteo, McTimoney. I'll be very poor soon but in damn good shape. :p

Baydale

Visit site
No CC from me only watching for hints and techniques i can appropriate for myself :p .

I have bad right hip/knee combo from old injuries. I have monthly lunge sessions (just 30 mins) where I ride without stirrups and it has really helped me improve balance and consequently helped horse.

I am impressed with how constructive a HHO thread can be :D :D

I'm about to go out there now and take my stirrups away, wish me luck.... :eek:

It's turned into a great thread, hasn't it, just very very long. :eek:

Baydale

Visit site
I must go and ride now. I got the ok to crack on (pardon the pun) with using my leg as the bone is healing well. I've got an echo cardiogram to check my heart function this afternoon as one of the side effects of Herception is it damaging your heart. I'll have had a full MOT soon, then there's just the final bit of bodywork that needs rebuilding and I'll be as good as new and back to KickAss Kermit again. :D

icestationzebra

Visit site
I'd forgotten the fuzzy felt pony of a few years ago. :D

You're absolutely right about it needing more swagger and jump, and I think that will come when I get softness and more rideability. Currently I can't do the corrections I need to without getting more tension so I have to ride a safe test which, as you know, isn't my style. OMG even my dressage riding has got defensive. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be at Vale View regularly this winter, doesn't it? ;)

Re the pilates, that would be great if you could copy some exercises for me, thanks. No pain, no gain. :rolleyes:

Absolutely - and if you push for more when the softness and balance aren't quite there you will create more energy but not the bigger step you are looking for. No one likes that feeling of being ever so slightly out of control in an arena - especially an outdoor one with only flimsy white boards to keep you in! :eek: One thing I've been working on in lessons is actually doing less - making the horse accountable for the doing whilst I make tiny adjustments and assist the balance. I was trying to micromanage every stride which kind of made the horse not bother to try too hard :rolleyes: Actually I am quite enjoying doing less - there were times where I was huffing and puffing whilst pony did absolutely nothing :eek:

Will dig the books out this weekend and find you a selection. top tip - do the exercises on carpet, it bloody hurts when you fall off it otherwise :D

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Whew, that's a relief. :p If you've got the number to hand, yes please; if not I'll google it. Do you fancy coming too if Kerilli and I get organised to go?
01205 280 824 ;) I think, but not quite sure that it's Julie Cooper who is in charge there :)
I had a go at the mechanical horse and have to say, although hilarious, it wasn't particularly useful :eek:
I spend my life riding other people's nutters and sent the whole room rolling with laughter when I got on ever so carefully just in case it shoots off in a random direction :D
It's NOTHING like riding a horse, at all. I found rising trot impossible to do, as there seem to be serious lack in any sort of forward motion (obviously) and couldn't quite get to grips with the fact that the only way you can keep it ''straight'' is by pulling on both reins with the same strength. I also found myself trying to push it ''across'' with my leg and giggling uncontrollably.
But, hell yeah, whyever not, I'll come for a laugh :D

Gamebird

Visit site
:D Hunting is on the cards, yes, Marty and I need to go, a lot, and I did promise Jooopiter a few days although BaggyBreeches had volunteered to test drive him first. ;)

Errr, only after she's finished hunting Fugly - IF she's in a fit state to get on another horse ever again! :eek: ;)

After all I had a day on the fabulous Emerald so it's only fair that I return the favour..... :eek:

kirstykate

Visit site
I've had proper massages on holiday but ironically that's when I need them the least. I can see all my disposable income going on pilates, mechanical horse sessions and physio, osteo, McTimoney. I'll be very poor soon but in damn good shape. :p

Arent we always poor with horses?!!!! I know I am!! It does make such a difference, I like Bowen! I always have a wee sesh after any of my boys are done!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I did a diploma in NLP and I found it massively helpful especially backed up by the book Simple Steps to Riding Success. I am so much calmer about my riding and focused with just the odd hissy fit when its not going right! I am a very driven person but I have become happier and I do enjoy the journey more rather than just telling myself I am!

Very interesting I had a Sjing lesson a couple of weeks ago and was told off soundly for placing the horse so carefully. Trainer said why are you doing that? he was running through the bridle slightly and you protected him from making a mistake that he needs to make. Next time round I let him get on with it and bingo he did the same again but without my help and sent the pole flying. Come round again and he did not run through the bridle. It is very hard to sometimes sit back and do less but sometimes its needed.

trina1982

Visit site
Great thread, very interesting!

Just wanted to let you know there is a simulator on the suffolk/essex border, bit different to the one described above. The instructor is great, very into biomechanics and a holistic approach. Might be a bit far to trek but i can assure you, Becky has people come from all around the country.

http://www.ashenequestriancentre.co.uk/3.html

Look forward to seeing the results of all the suggestions. Please report back and let us know what was useful (or not as the case may be :) ). I can definately recommend some form of bodywork if you're crooked/collapsing. Has helped me no end.

Trina x

Renvers

Visit site

Just wanted to let you know there is a simulator on the suffolk/essex border, bit different to the one described above. The instructor is great, very into biomechanics and a holistic approach. Might be a bit far to trek but i can assure you, Becky has people come from all around the country.

Trina x

I have been to Becky at Ashen for a session on the mechanical horse. I would recommend to try one the analysis I got both in feedback and printouts was really useful, and it did help me see where I needed work, but also what my good points were :D

I took my own saddle to put on the mechanical horse, think she encourages you to do so.

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think someone is Epsom has one, too, but I'm not sure if it's just the simulator or does the analysis as well. Plus, I guess that's not much use to your northern types. :)

Baydale

Visit site
Absolutely - and if you push for more when the softness and balance aren't quite there you will create more energy but not the bigger step you are looking for. No one likes that feeling of being ever so slightly out of control in an arena - especially an outdoor one with only flimsy white boards to keep you in! :eek: One thing I've been working on in lessons is actually doing less - making the horse accountable for the doing whilst I make tiny adjustments and assist the balance. I was trying to micromanage every stride which kind of made the horse not bother to try too hard :rolleyes: Actually I am quite enjoying doing less - there were times where I was huffing and puffing whilst pony did absolutely nothing :eek:

Will dig the books out this weekend and find you a selection. top tip - do the exercises on carpet, it bloody hurts when you fall off it otherwise :D

See energy isn't a problem with Joooopiter, it's controlling it and channelling it that is. :rolleyes: Doing less, or making less count for more, is a good plan and I'm sure I can get Jup round to that way of thinking eventually.

I'll eagerly await the exercise ball stuff (not :rolleyes:). Should I be wearing my BP and crash hat...? :p

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Dressage looked fine - sack the cameraman as I felt sick as you went up the CL.

SJ smooth but looked a bit 'cautious' (not sure what happened at the 4 faults, did he chip one in or did you hold him a bit deep/miss) like you had the handbrake on a bit but still managed a nice rhythm.

XC Again, I would have ecpected more 'forward and flowing' - HOWEVER I know you know your stuff and as I haven't read any of what's been said, will know there's a reason behind how you rode it. The horse looks happy and settled, balanced and obedient.

No, I have no idea what I'm on about ;)

BeckyD

Visit site
Ah, that's the sort i meant, the analytical type. that one looks fabulous, thanks trina.
well, i'm game, and happy to drive there.
who else?

I've been dying to go over to Ashen since trying their mechanical horse at YHL 2 years ago. I haven't been able to persuade anyone to come with me yet, so if you have a spare slot and don't mind a stranger tagging along, I'd love it! I was so much wonkier than I expected.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Mmmmm but I already know what level you ride at hence what I meant really was constructive...... It is a bit like preaching to the converted however as you already know where his strengths and weaknesses lie, but sit back and wait for the real "advice" to pour in...
He definitely doesn't look easy to me, or it would indeed look "effortless!"

BeckyD

Visit site
Thanks, Becky, it's good that you spotted the things other people had but remember I shall be spouting "do as I say, not as I do" next time I see you. :p

Oh the leg is fine, it's just a little bone that's broken and if it hurts too much then I stop. I swear it's been a message from God that I should work on my stressage as the only way I could get comfortable with it was in my dressage saddle in sitting trot! :rolleyes:

I have had a bit of bad luck, admittedly, but that should mean I'm due some good luck soon, shouldn't it? :D

Yes - time to buy a lottery ticket!

Crikey, not only does God exist, but he's a Dressage fan! :eek: Quick, pass me the prayer book!

Believe me, your "doing" on a bad day is still better than my "doing".on my very best day! *sniff* and I can't even improve over winter as pony decided he needed an extended holiday! :rolleyes:

JEP

Visit site
With everything you've been through in the last year and the sense of humour with which you've kept us informed, as far as I'm concerned you are definately Superwoman and if you rode hanging upside down under your horse's neck there would never be any criticism from me. If there has been bad vibes for you on HHO than all I can say is these people must be s**t stupid. Give yourself a big pat on the back (without putting your shoulder out) and "kick on" for 2012.

Baydale

Visit site
01205 280 824 ;) I think, but not quite sure that it's Julie Cooper who is in charge there :)
I had a go at the mechanical horse and have to say, although hilarious, it wasn't particularly useful :eek:
I spend my life riding other people's nutters and sent the whole room rolling with laughter when I got on ever so carefully just in case it shoots off in a random direction :D
It's NOTHING like riding a horse, at all. I found rising trot impossible to do, as there seem to be serious lack in any sort of forward motion (obviously) and couldn't quite get to grips with the fact that the only way you can keep it ''straight'' is by pulling on both reins with the same strength. I also found myself trying to push it ''across'' with my leg and giggling uncontrollably.
But, hell yeah, whyever not, I'll come for a laugh :D

I'm not sure I want to go if it's not going to be worthwhile, I'd rather do hours of sitting trot/bareback/on the lunge at home thanks.;) Just seen the other suggestion at Ashen, shall we investigate that?

Baydale

Visit site
I did a diploma in NLP and I found it massively helpful especially backed up by the book Simple Steps to Riding Success. I am so much calmer about my riding and focused with just the odd hissy fit when its not going right! I am a very driven person but I have become happier and I do enjoy the journey more rather than just telling myself I am!

Very interesting I had a Sjing lesson a couple of weeks ago and was told off soundly for placing the horse so carefully. Trainer said why are you doing that? he was running through the bridle slightly and you protected him from making a mistake that he needs to make. Next time round I let him get on with it and bingo he did the same again but without my help and sent the pole flying. Come round again and he did not run through the bridle. It is very hard to sometimes sit back and do less but sometimes its needed.

KC has said similar to me on many occasions, but if ever you want to work your hardest to leave them up then surely it's when it matters, at the competition. ;) :p Didn't work that day, did it...? :eek:

I should read that book too. :) Maybe I will stay into hospital the whole week that the surgeon said I might have to, if only to get through all these books. :D

Baydale

Visit site

Look forward to seeing the results of all the suggestions. Please report back and let us know what was useful (or not as the case may be :) ). I can definately recommend some form of bodywork if you're crooked/collapsing. Has helped me no end.

Trina x

Thanks for that info, Trina, it looks v interesting. I'm definitely up for it and if a gang of us went we could learn from each other which would be useful. I need major amounts of bodywork doing. :eek: I'd have to arrange this for December as I'll need some realignment after my next op, I'm sure. :eek:

Baydale

Visit site
I have been to Becky at Ashen for a session on the mechanical horse. I would recommend to try one the analysis I got both in feedback and printouts was really useful, and it did help me see where I needed work, but also what my good points were :D

I took my own saddle to put on the mechanical horse, think she encourages you to do so.

That's interesting, Renvers. It's always good to have a recommendation. What kind of saddle did you take, jumping, dressage, GP?

Baydale

Visit site
I've been dying to go over to Ashen since trying their mechanical horse at YHL 2 years ago. I haven't been able to persuade anyone to come with me yet, so if you have a spare slot and don't mind a stranger tagging along, I'd love it! I was so much wonkier than I expected.

You're not strange, BeckyD. :p Will try and find a date that suits us all or, if there are too many, plan two trips.