Angry, disgusted, devestated...trust no one!!!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Me and my OH just worked it out - about five days: assuming it's a four hour drive at average 60mph, and the average person could walk at 5mph, and allowing for rest breaks and possible overnight stops. But without breaks, approximately 48 hours.

And yes, it strikes everyone here as absolutely flaming disgusting, not "odd" the horse wasn't checked. That's why the horse died, and why everyone is screaming for blood.

You obviously haven't even read the post you're replying to properly, let alone the whole thread, so I suggest you go away and read the complete thread, then come back with some sensible, informed comments.

Excuse me ? Perhaps you might like to take the time to read the post yourself.

The owner failed to check the horses more than twice during the first 3 months and when paying livery charges just before Christmas, failed again to check the horses or make arrangements for anyone to take over the daily needs of the horses.
The post infers that the owner was present on the yard when paying the bill, which is not so unlikely as many people return home to visit at Christmas.
Even if she wasn't physically present, are you justifying the apparent lack of interest shown regarding the mare's wellbeing ?
Would you leave a horse over winter in a field knowing it was used to daily feeds, was prone to mudfever, without a spare rug and without organising a farrier ?
Wouldn't you arrange for someone to care for daily needs rather than leaving it in a field, relying on visual checks by the YO and other liveries and just grazing ?
Wouldn't you ring regularly to make sure all was well and nothing was needed ?

Perhaps you wouldn't. I certainly would.
Neither would I leave a horse on grass livery over winter on a yard where the only hay put out, was when it snowed, unless it was a retired good doer that never got fed bucket feeds.

Why was the YO never asked to provide services ?
Wouldn't most people leave instructions and pay for extra services ?

The YO, the liveries who saw the horse daily, the OP's friends and the OP all played a part in this sorry tale and the horse paid the price.

diamonddogs

Visit site
...Would you leave a horse over winter in a field knowing it was used to daily feeds, was prone to mudfever, without a spare rug and without organising a farrier ?
Wouldn't you arrange for someone to care for daily needs rather than leaving it in a field, relying on visual checks by the YO and other liveries and just grazing ?
Wouldn't you ring regularly to make sure all was well and nothing was needed ?

Perhaps you wouldn't...

I wouldn't make emotive statements like that if I were you, though I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant it as a figure of speech and not a reflection on my horse management.

My understanding of this saga is what I've learned from being involved in the thread from the beginning, not just the last few pages. I understood that all this had been done, and the horse was left lacking.

Whoever is right and whoever is wrong here, a tragedy has taken place and perhaps we'll never learn the true story. All I know is, a horse died needlessly, and I can't get how she must have suffered out of my head.

This story will haunt me for a long time.

silvershoes

Visit site
Well, it was only a matter of time before the island knew about this thread. So, just to clear a few things up for the newbies...

As for all the text messages I could easily just screen shot them and post them on here to show that every message was replied to, but I'll save the YO more embarassment.

As for you saying I never asked for you to bring the horse in and wash her legs etc. No I didnt ask for this. You expect a bit of mud fever living out buy I dont know why everyone is saying she was prone to it? Shes actually never had it before!

My point being as the YO was responsible for updating us on both mares condition, when you're being told they're both doing well then why would I ask for them to brought in if they were both fine?

As for getting the vet 48hrs after that is a complete lie as my OH got a phone call at 9pm on the friday night. He went down to find the mare in that state and the YO was p****d!! She was very reluctant to ler my OH take her rug off as she would get cold....then said she couldnt be blamed for the state she was in kept saying she wasnt happy about it.

As for moving the mare in such a state, she went 5mins down the road to a friends place who we trusted, where my OH was staying and somewhere where we knew she would get looked after. After the state she was found would I really let her stay there any longer?

She was made comfortable in a nice stable with hay and water and the vet attended first thinh sat morning. Not 48hrs later as stated by the YO.

All rights and wrongs aside my horse was suffering and went un noticed by an experienced YO. Regardless of whether I was 5 or 500 miles away, I was paying for a duty of care to my horse and this wasnt given. And regardless, a horse should never have allowed to get in this mess.

I have certainly learned an extremely hard lesson and now I have to live with the fact I will never see my mare again.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
YO that came to protest her innocence. Your fault entirely. I keep horses on training board. I have my own. If I fed them all the same I'd be in trouble. And it's also very much the little things. If one of the horses loses a rug or it breaks, I do not ring the owner. I sort it myself because you know, that's part of my freaking job. If they need extra feeding I don't call the owner, I freaking do it. I don't do grass livery but if something may become an issue with regards to more money I will say as much. But I don't hold the horse to ransom. While that horse is with me I have a duty of care and treat as my own.

Do not come here with BS excuses. I used to have a much bigger operation but you know what the recession hit. A few clients decided they weren't going to pay anymore and I was left holding the bag. They still went on holidays, house was never in danger of foreclosure and driving up in the latest vehicles to tell me to do want I need to do with the horses but they weren't paying anymore. Handed me passports. I know I didn't let any starve or just shove them out in the field for the winter. Nope I got screwed well and truly screwed. But there was no way in heck I was going to let any horses suffer until they were sold to good places. Because that's what you do when you have horses and take them in from other people. I learned a valuable life lesson but nothing suffered because of it.

So please do not come here with "your side"

Terri

Goldenstar

Visit site

*******************Statement of FACT ************************

As the afore mentioned YO I feel a few points need to be cleared up! SilverShoes was in the field with 8 other horses "20acres" to include in-foal mares and veterans alike. All were treated the same and have cme through winter absolutely fine. Livery clients were charged grass-livery and were informed via text message that big round bales of haylage was added to the field. No reply to the message was given.
Both mares of the livery client came with shoes and it was pomised that a farrier would be organised by the clients to remove the shoes and trim the feet, However, this DID NOT happen! When one of the mares lost a rug in the bad weather the livery client was informed again via text message. The reply to this was "a local friend was organised to replace the rug" This DID NOT happen!
SilverShoes was regularly seen by myself and other livery clients, both sound and eating from the bale of haylage! I was not once asked by the HO to bring either mare in from tthe field to check under rugs or wash their legs. This would have been an easy task for myself or two further livery clients that are well known to the HO.
By her own admision the HO failed to check on the horses herself - more than twice within the first 3 months of the livery time. When paying just before xmas for all charges up to the end of December - NO attempt to check either mare was made and NO arrangements for anybody to carry on, following the clint moving 500 miles away.
I have long standing liveries (6 years+), an immensely experienced equine vet and blacksmith among other proffesional people who CAN and WILL vouch for the quality of service povided by this yard.
It was my husband and two further livery clients who discovered the mare to be lame. I brought the mare in to a stable over night, the HO were contacted and the services of a vet were offered. The condition of the mare was also reported. The reply from the HO was to get a friend to transport the horse in distress delaying veterinary attention for a further 48 hours.
The RSPCA called here yesterdy and found nothing what-so-ever wrong with the premisesn or any animal present at the property (30+ horses) and we were glad they had visited. There is no report coming from the RSPCA with regards to my part in this as no further action is required.
Only after this whole sad situation has it come to my attention that "Silvershoes" has always been a mare who lives in with feed and rugs and regular attention. She was also always prone to mud-fever. We are now wandering if she had any existing illness or condition which may affect the other horses in the field. We are currently struggling to eceive any information with regards to blood test or postmortem results!

This concludes my statement of facts. Feel free to comment as you have been doing, but I WILL NOT be entering any further discussion myself.

Shame you entered the disscussion at all.
I am shocked that a horse on a 'professional ' yard who was rugged was not having the rug removed daily when the owner was not visiting daily you can't check a horse with a rug on it.
Who was picking the feet out daily if the owner was away.
Who was checking limbs daily
The Answer it seems was no one poor poor mare.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Silvershoes, hope you're OK.

Try to remember her how she was, but in my own experience it was several weeks before I could look at photos of my Kelly and several more before I could think of her and smile.

One day at a time...

patchwork puzzle

Visit site
The bottom line here is becoming lost in the blame throwing and accusations!

A horse has died that had become so ill whilst on somebodies property and nobody on that property saw fit to attend to this horse and stop its suffering....Its a disgrace!! How can any person stand by and see any animal suffer without doing something (anything) in their power to stop its suffering!
The only facts (as far as I can remember) that we have which directly contribute to this horses death are simple.

She was not checked to see if she were ok (However YO was reporting that the horse was fine!)
I dont remember reading about any underlying medical issue, so again the facts we have before us are that she was not eating and/or rugged adequately!
The HO was 500 miles away for a period of time so couldnt pop over to see if the horse was ok.
The horse was on the YO property.

Why would the YO not bother checking more thoroughly on a horse left in her care when she claims that the HO did not come and see the horse even when she could (whether HO did or not is not really relevant as the horse was on YO property and she has claimed herself that the horse wasnt being seen too, so if you knew this (or believed this to be the case, why wouldnt you check on its welfare!)

Its simple in my eyes as I would not let any animal that I know of suffer, be it my own or another, either on the same yard or even a strange horse. If you cannot afford to feed it and it has been left and not been paid for then you report it, and even though some of the rescue places have a bad press for not taking action, at least you can hold your head up and say you did what you can do to try and help it!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss Silvershoes. It sounds like your ex YO was just too lazy to look after your mare on a daily basis. How a horse can end up in the state yours did is beyond me when you were paying for your ex YO to look after her! Dpwnright disgusting in my mind.

Please don't blame yourself - you had trusted someone to look after her and they failed you big time. I feel so sad for you :( xx

diamonddogs

Visit site
The capacity for neglect must be contagious on that yard as YO claims to have a vet (an experienced one at that :rolleyes:) AND a farrier among her clients, yet the vet did nothing and neither did the farrier.

It just gets worse.

Meandtheboys

Visit site
I can not believe that someone could move and leave horses on 'Grass Livery', I am in the process of relocating 300 miles away and if I am in the same position and unable to take my horses at the same time they would be put on 'Full Livery' so that all needs are met - some may see this as a harsh statement but I do feel sorry for the YO and the owner should have made more effort to check horses at least every other weekend..............**RIP little horse**

Mearas

Visit site
The bottom line here is becoming lost in the blame throwing and accusations!

A horse has died that had become so ill whilst on somebodies property and nobody on that property saw fit to attend to this horse and stop its suffering....Its a disgrace!! How can any person stand by and see any animal suffer without doing something (anything) in their power to stop its suffering!

^^^^^This is the shocking truth patchwork puzzle.

Tormenta

Visit site
Oh for Goodness sake. Grass livery does not mean that you chuck some haylage and water in a field and ignore them. They should still be properly checked REGULARLY which is the crux of the matter here. If the mare had been checked properly, her deterioration would have been caught long before she was so bad she died. She might still be here. My own horses live out 24/7 and I take rugs off daily, check their temps (not too hot or too cold, check for lumps, bumps and scratches, check their limbs, eyes etc etc etc. I am so used to it now it probably takes 5 minutes per horse to undo a rug and roll back. Not a lot of time out of your day for one animal is it? And I don't get paid for it either!! A small amount of time, even if it had been just once each day may have saved her life, how utterly tragic!

farmerone

New User
Visit site
full grass livery does exist though and I assume this is the service the OP thought she was getting... sadly not.

Hi fellow horse owners, I've read all comments relating to silvershoes and I'm sorry of the outcome, but feel the need to comment. I have a horse who is on grass livery.... YES grass livery. Although it is February and grass is very poor at this time of year, there is ample haylage available in the fields where horses are kept to replace the grass (as was in Silvershoes's field by what I have read). As I'm sure your aware, grass does not grow in the winter months. I keep my horse 200 miles from my home as there is no grass liveries where I live. I thoroughly trust that while I am not present on the yard that MY horse is fed and kept in a field where I left my horse I understand that MY horse is MY responsibility at all times. It is MY own choice to leave MY horse at grass livery. I travel the distance to check on MY horse and PAY MY livery bill each week. I arrange for the farrier to shoe MY horse at a convenient time TO ME. MY horse did not land on my doorstep. I WANTED him. Although everyone's circumstances change throughout the year these are our horses and our responsibility. It is unfair to put the blame on the YO when in reality they are keeping your horses ( clearly in your mind rent free). If the horses are rugged up; why should it be down to the YO to look under the rugs to see whats going on! It's OUR responsibility as horse owners to do this. If you live far from the yard ask a friend to check in on the YO. That should be enough until you can go and see for yourself. I may also add that if you don't have time to see your horses it's kinder to give them up surely. It is now 10:15, I've driven 400 mile round trip, stayed in a local hotel over the weekend as i do each week to pay livery and spend time with my horse. I may be an exception and if i could have him at home i would but at this time its not an option and this situation suits me. I sympathize with all concerned, but my question is why did you not take your horse with you when you moved so far away? and for the commenters how do you have the time to sit on a computer and comment through the day when you have horses? this confuses me ???
Harsh lesson learnt I think. Come on.....would you go for a haircut and ask to pay next week?! Of course not. It seems to me that the YO had informed the HO and therefore it is the HO's responsibility to do something about it! Or am I wrong?

maccachic

Visit site
What happens if your horse injures itself / gets sick between your visits, do you not rely on the YO to keep an eye on your horse or do you hope for the best?

Tormenta

Visit site
Hmm, looks like what is included in Grass Livery and what it entails can differ from yard to yard and area to area. At a yard I used to be at, grass livery included daily checks. Others are saying it doesn't. Bit of a grey area.

diamonddogs

Visit site
Hi fellow horse owners, I've read all comments relating to silvershoes and I'm sorry of the outcome, but feel the need to comment. I have a horse who is on grass livery.... YES grass livery. Although it is February and grass is very poor at this time of year, there is ample haylage available in the fields where horses are kept to replace the grass (as was in Silvershoes's field by what I have read). As I'm sure your aware, grass does not grow in the winter months. I keep my horse 200 miles from my home as there is no grass liveries where I live. I thoroughly trust that while I am not present on the yard that MY horse is fed and kept in a field where I left my horse I understand that MY horse is MY responsibility at all times. It is MY own choice to leave MY horse at grass livery. I travel the distance to check on MY horse and PAY MY livery bill each week. I arrange for the farrier to shoe MY horse at a convenient time TO ME. MY horse did not land on my doorstep. I WANTED him. Although everyone's circumstances change throughout the year these are our horses and our responsibility. It is unfair to put the blame on the YO when in reality they are keeping your horses ( clearly in your mind rent free). If the horses are rugged up; why should it be down to the YO to look under the rugs to see whats going on! It's OUR responsibility as horse owners to do this. If you live far from the yard ask a friend to check in on the YO. That should be enough until you can go and see for yourself. I may also add that if you don't have time to see your horses it's kinder to give them up surely. It is now 10:15, I've driven 400 mile round trip, stayed in a local hotel over the weekend as i do each week to pay livery and spend time with my horse. I may be an exception and if i could have him at home i would but at this time its not an option and this situation suits me. I sympathize with all concerned, but my question is why did you not take your horse with you when you moved so far away? and for the commenters how do you have the time to sit on a computer and comment through the day when you have horses? this confuses me ???
Harsh lesson learnt I think. Come on.....would you go for a haircut and ask to pay next week?! Of course not. It seems to me that the YO had informed the HO and therefore it is the HO's responsibility to do something about it! Or am I wrong?

You're wrong - you haven't read all the thread.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I think for me it has happened one of two ways. Either horse was left on (full) grass livery, which was to provide all care etc, in which case all blame lies with yo. Or, horse was on diy grass livery, with a brief 'check its legs haven't fallen off' care arrangement, in which case yo is at fault for neglecting an essentially abandoned horse, & op at fault for abandoning it. Of course, there are possibilities between those, however either way yo is at fault, & the exact circumstances will only reveal how much op is to blame also. And I doubt any of us will ever know the exact full facts of it all.

farmerone

New User
Visit site
As for moving the mare in such a state, she went 5mins down the road to a friends place who we trusted, where my OH was staying and somewhere where we knew she would get looked after. After the state she was found would I really let her stay there any longer?

Can I just ask why you didn't check on your horses when you went to pay your bill?! I certainly like seeing mine if they mean so much to you?!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think for me it has happened one of two ways. Either horse was left on (full) grass livery, which was to provide all care etc, in which case all blame lies with yo. Or, horse was on diy grass livery, with a brief 'check its legs haven't fallen off' care arrangement, in which case yo is at fault for neglecting an essentially abandoned horse, & op at fault for abandoning it. Of course, there are possibilities between those, however either way yo is at fault, & the exact circumstances will only reveal how much op is to blame also. And I doubt any of us will ever know the exact full facts of it all.

I think so too, or perhaps that one person thought one thing, the other the other!

I'm finding it a bit more suspicious though that all these random new people keep popping up in support of the yard owner every now and again though!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thoroughly trust that while I am not present on the yard that MY horse is fed and kept in a field where I left my horse I understand that MY horse is MY responsibility at all times. It is MY own choice to leave MY horse at grass livery.

It is unfair to put the blame on the YO when in reality they are keeping your horses ( clearly in your mind rent free) who said anything about rent free??.

If the horses are rugged up; why should it be down to the YO to look under the rugs to see whats going on! Of course it is be if 'full grass livery' is the service being provided/paid for, although that hasn't been clarified it should have been obvious to the YO that was what was required and the owner charged accordingly

It's OUR responsibility as horse owners to do this or to ensure someone else is employed by us to do it surely?- what about all of the horses on retirement livery? [/COLOR]

and for the commenters how do you have the time to sit on a computer and comment through the day when you have horses? this confuses me ???
Ride/turnout/muckout in morning- put to bed at night fall why is that confusing

what an odd first post :confused:

Gingerwitch

Visit site
The poor horse is dead.
The owner did not arrange proper care.
The horse was on a yard that would not provide appropriate care
The yard owner did not give proper care.
The horse was on a yard that would not provide appropriate care
The poor horse is dead

the blame game, pass the monkey can be played till the end of time, the horse is dead, it won't help her will it?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Yes, me too honey. And even if op dumped horse on diy, owed rent, neglected it, & was proven to be crap horse owner of the year, the yo is still at fault for not getting charities in etc.