Another British Horse Society c**k-up

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
. Rather concerned to see that they have (or had?) a Director of HR - and they then had HR consultancy support! I’m embarrassed for my profession. I expect a far higher level of competence from even the most junior members of my HR team.

From what I've heard of the current HR Director, she alone would be a good reason to run a mile from taking a job there.

Nicnac

Visit site
Just read the Tribunal doc - what a cluster. So where does one get their 3rd party insurance from other than the BHS as I won't be renewing.

HectorTTerry

Visit site
It's really sad to hear that yet again staff are treated badly in the BHS. The CEO does not care about individuals nor their well being. People are disposable. And yet people are petrified of speaking out because she has so much control. The cost to members' for the high staff turnover is disgusting - not only the cost of the recruitment agents and advertising but the cost of the knowledge that is lost. Why is the BHS not focusing its efforts on horse welfare? Instead it spends an unusually large amount of money on paying people off to keep quiet. I'd like to know exactly how much the BHS has spent on legal fees and how many agreements have been put together. It's not normally activity for such a small charity (in terms of number of employees). I'd also propose that Horse & Hound investigates. After all, it's gone awfully quiet since the BEF independent report that uncovered bullying by the member bodies. Something has to be done. It's too sad to see people who genuinely care about horses being treated so dreadfully. I've even heard that one individual was close to suicide because of their treatment at the BHS. I'm sorry... but that's just not acceptable. People's lives are at stake here!

GHamlet75

Visit site
Horse & Hound I have always respected your journalist talents but seriously what was last week's article about the current CEO of BHS all about? She says her success at the BHS is all down to the people? Then why has Wendy been treated in this way? Wendy has dedicated her life to the BHS. My understanding is that the moment Wendy fairly challenged the CEO about how money was being spent in the charity she was got rid of. I think there's too many contradictions going on here. Horse & Hound I'd like to see an article that reveals the trust about just what is going on in the BHS - please stick to your journalist roots as I know you can reveal the truth!

Reactions: ECB

Archangel

Visit site
It's really sad to hear that yet again staff are treated badly in the BHS. The CEO does not care about individuals nor their well being. People are disposable. And yet people are petrified of speaking out because she has so much control. The cost to members' for the high staff turnover is disgusting - not only the cost of the recruitment agents and advertising but the cost of the knowledge that is lost. Why is the BHS not focusing its efforts on horse welfare? Instead it spends an unusually large amount of money on paying people off to keep quiet. I'd like to know exactly how much the BHS has spent on legal fees and how many agreements have been put together. It's not normally activity for such a small charity (in terms of number of employees). I'd also propose that Horse & Hound investigates. After all, it's gone awfully quiet since the BEF independent report that uncovered bullying by the member bodies. Something has to be done. It's too sad to see people who genuinely care about horses being treated so dreadfully. I've even heard that one individual was close to suicide because of their treatment at the BHS. I'm sorry... but that's just not acceptable. People's lives are at stake here!

It is all in the accounts here

YE Dec 2017 - £70k on redundancy/termination
Salary
1 person, presumably CEO £120k – 130k
3 in £70 – 80k band

I realise the charity has a lot of activities but these are punchy salaries when you add pension/health care benefits.
Expenses - that is quite a figure at £21k for the year.

Bullying in charities is rife. Trouble always starts at the top.

HectorTTerry

Visit site
Thanks for sharing Archangel. I forgot that this information is publicly available. Makes for interesting reading in my opinion. Am I reading this correctly... that Legal, professional and audit fees were £105,629 last year?! Which incidentally was a 220% increase in costs from 2016? Wow! What has the BHS got to hide?!!!

Archangel

Visit site
Thanks for sharing Archangel. I forgot that this information is publicly available. Makes for interesting reading in my opinion. Am I reading this correctly... that Legal, professional and audit fees were £105,629 last year?! Which incidentally was a 220% increase in costs from 2016? Wow! What has the BHS got to hide?!!!
Crikey you are right.

HectorTTerry

Visit site
Sorry I missed the first line of your costs Archangel... £70k on redundancy and termination?! I don't believe there were any redundancies last year which means £70k on termination. Do they honestly think they can just continue to pay people off and that the truth won't come out?

HectorTTerry

Visit site
And for the record I don't have a problem with people being paid a decent salary if they are doing a good job. After all we all have bills to pay. Obviously the CEO is being paid a hefty amount but I wonder how the split is of male to female salaries. I'm guessing the male directors are in the £70 – 80k band? What happened to equal opportunities BHS?

GHamlet75

Visit site
I'm struggling to see where I can find the costs of that new horsebox in the accounts. Has anyone else seen it? I saw it at Badminton and Riding Club Championships and no one was even in it! What a total waste of members' money! How much do you think it cost?

honetpot

Visit site
Most businesses lease hire but I have no idea why the BHS would need a horsebox. Even a lot of racehorse trainers do not buy them outright.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends04/0000210504_AC_20171231_E_C.PDF

Maybe I am missing something but that's some very expensive staff generating and spending not a lot of money.

Tucked at the very end.

I found the horsebox £138,000, page 40 under capital commitments. For BHS On The Move. So how many times has it been out this year?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Most businesses lease hire but I have no idea why the BHS would need a horsebox. Even a lot of racehorse trainers do not buy them outright.

http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends04/0000210504_AC_20171231_E_C.PDF

Maybe I am missing something but that's some very expensive staff generating and spending not a lot of money.

Tucked at the very end.

I found the horsebox £138,000, page 40 under capital commitments. For BHS On The Move. So how many times has it been out this year?

Is the horsebox also for moving horses? Or just to go to shows? £138,000 seems an awful lot of money for a charity to spend on one vehicle, and not as accessible as a tent, or a low trailer with pull out front. That would be more flexible space. I can't think that a big horsebox is great for people who are not as mobile. My mum would not be able to get into a horsebox, and many other people too. A horsebox is not open and welcoming as you can't see inside to get a view of what is on offer. It seems more secluded than inclusive.

If it is also to move horses, then I would have thought it would still be more cost effective to have a display trailer and a separate working box, that does not need luxury living and would cost less in fuel. To go rescue animals it would soon be scratched going down lanes to access said horses in need.

The two possible uses are just not compatible, a display vehicle to welcome people and a work vehicle to go up muddy lanes to yards/fields in the middle of nowhere.

It did look nice and shiny in the photo I saw of it though.

honetpot

Visit site
Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
So they are driving the new lorry all the way to Scotland, when a village hall cost about £10 an hour to hire. How many people does this horse box hold.
http://www.bhs.org.uk/enjoy-riding/.../bhs-on-the-move-lorry-back-to-basics-evening

So is it not a horsebox with horse area?

Our village hall is £10 to hire a room for an hour suitable for up to 20 people or £20 for a room suitable for up to 100. It has toilets, a kitchen and bar area. It has car parking, outside lighting, a break out area...

Surely it would be better for the people to arrive by car and hire a hall. I bet the lorry does less than 20mph. Probably less than 15mph. If they are also transporting the speakers the front part must have seats with seatbelts? So how many people can attend.

Genuinely interested.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It was on the quiet part of the course at blenheim, it said please come in, I didn't see anyone going in they were in the gazebo/tent thing at the side.

honetpot

Visit site
Nice to know they have spent the money wisely.
It will need a HGV license to drive, will be classed as a commercial vehicle and need testing every six months. I hope they are going to give us a breakdown down of the costs for running it, £ per mile.
https://www.gov.uk/being-a-goods-vehicle-operator/exemptions
One day it will make someone a posh camper

onemoretime

Visit site

Perhaps the Charity Commission needs to be informed

GHamlet75

Visit site
£138,000 for a horsebox that doesn't even carry horses? Am I missing something? Is that really the best use of CHARITY funds? According to Lynn Petersen's article (I'm so angry at H&H for their sloppy journalism) - it's being used to "go to schools to show children equestrian career opportunities". If this was true it would be heart warming, but has anyone actually seen this at a school yet? Is this just more propaganda?

honetpot

Visit site
From the web site most of visits for it so far seem to be in Scotland and preaching to the converted. I would be impressed if they attended horse sales and fairs and did equine welfare promotion but I would still question the running costs.

Red-1

Visit site
£138,000 for a horsebox that doesn't even carry horses? Am I missing something? Is that really the best use of CHARITY funds? According to Lynn Petersen's article (I'm so angry at H&H for their sloppy journalism) - it's being used to "go to schools to show children equestrian career opportunities". If this was true it would be heart warming, but has anyone actually seen this at a school yet? Is this just more propaganda?

Having had to take a horse lorry to a fair few schools, most have inadequate parking for such a vehicle. We commonly had to park round the corner or whatever, which rather defeats the object f having the flash lorry.

I just can't see it is fit for purpose with those incredibly steep steps and narrow doorway. I can't see how they will fit an audience and speakers in for talks etc.

Lovethebeach

Visit site
Lets not forget they have employed a full time driver for the lorry. If that person is staying away with the vehicle salary would be another 40k plus. Will be next lot of accounts before running costs will be revealed. Not a user friendly or inviting layout either. Another long term member who is NOT impressed with how the society is progressing. I really do not see BHS as a welfare charity any more, they do not support any needy horses that I can see.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Ooh - I wish we'd had that at Badminton when I was there for the BHS YEARS ago. But I was tight on their behalf. We had a teensy little hired caravan for 4 of us to bunk down in (cheaper than B&B). And it was the wettest Badminton I think they'd ever had that year. Hundreds of cars wouldn't start (including mine.) But then, back then we had a nice little rescue centre, were rehoming rescues to good homes. Seems that was too costly.

Andalusiandreams

New User
Visit site
As a former long standing member of staff of the BHS I have seen so many decent members of staff leave because of harassment, bullying and politics. There are currently many members of staff who are too scared to speak up for fear of losing their jobs. The turnover is incredible and the amount of money wasted on compromise agreements and pay offs is disgusting. The IT system is massively flawed, the ‘new’ education system is based around making money and everytime the staff on the ground raise an issue it is ignored. It is those who ‘answer the phones’ to the ‘great unwashed’ as a former Director once called the loyal members who really care, who are loyal to the core values of the charity and yet go ignored on a daily basis. Very pleased to have left but ever so sad it has come to this. Something needs to be done.

GHamlet75

Visit site
As a former long standing member of staff of the BHS I have seen so many decent members of staff leave because of harassment, bullying and politics. There are currently many members of staff who are too scared to speak up for fear of losing their jobs. The turnover is incredible and the amount of money wasted on compromise agreements and pay offs is disgusting. The IT system is massively flawed, the ‘new’ education system is based around making money and everytime the staff on the ground raise an issue it is ignored. It is those who ‘answer the phones’ to the ‘great unwashed’ as a former Director once called the loyal members who really care, who are loyal to the core values of the charity and yet go ignored on a daily basis. Very pleased to have left but ever so sad it has come to this. Something needs to be done.
Thanks for speaking out Andalusiandreams. It's not easy for employees or ex employees to speak out but now is the time. This can not continue. Thank you for being so brave