Another British Horse Society c**k-up

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Well it is certainly time that the BHS CE WAS held accountable - and a couple of her 'directors' too. The latest I heard is very hard to believe - but it IS true!! Lady Anne Vestey has been 'sacked' as a voluntary welfare officer - and no-one's had the grace to tell her what her 'crime' allegedly was.

onemoretime

Visit site
Well it is certainly time that the BHS CE WAS held accountable - and a couple of her 'directors' too. The latest I heard is very hard to believe - but it IS true!! Lady Anne Vestey has been 'sacked' as a voluntary welfare officer - and no-one's had the grace to tell her what her 'crime' allegedly was.

OMG that is going over the top. Poor lady, they won't do themselves any good if they keep going on in this manner.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Corrected 😶

lol, I did guess what you meant. I haven't had the privilege of meeting her - but all I've heard is very good indeed. Treating ANY volunteer like that is appalling - but to treat a Lady - with friends in high places - like that is also just downright stupid!! One would hope the Chairman might sort it out - or a Duke isn't going to be impressed by his 'Manager's' abilities!

GHamlet75

Visit site
Are we talking about the same Lady Anne Vesty who is/was a Vice President of the British Horse Society? 'Our Vice-Presidents play a valuable role in the presentation of The British Horse Society to the wider equestrian community'. http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/about-us-and-our-work/our-people How can someone be selected as being valuable to the BHS and then discarded so easily? Do you know any more JanetGeorge?

Last edited by a moderator:

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Are we talking about the same Lady Anne Vesty who is/was a Vice President of the British Horse Society? 'Our Vice-Presidents play a valuable role in the presentation of The British Horse Society to the wider equestrian community'. http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/about-us-and-our-work/our-people How can someone be selected as being valuable to the BHS and then discarded so easily? Do you know any more JanetGeorge?

lol, I don't think there are two Lady Anne Vestey's. I didn't realize she was a Vice President (keeping track of everything is doing my head in right now.) I WILL find out more. Must study the constitution - find out whether tey can dump Vice-Presidents - or just Welfare volunteers.

GHamlet75

Visit site
Interesting point to note - my post from yesterday (post 246) says it was 'Last edited by a moderator: Today at 11:01 AM'. I think (hope) they edited to remove the annoying advertisement. It means that H&H can edit our content if they want to. However, despite the British Horse Society insisting that our content is removed, H&H have decided that freedom of speech is acceptable.

Jangigs

New User
Visit site
ADVERTISEMENT​

ADVERTISEMENT​
1540393698752-foreground.png

1540393698752-static.png

1540393698752-background.png

ADVERTISEMENT​

1540393698752-static.png

1540393698752-static.png

Interesting point to note - my post from yesterday (post 246) says it was 'Last edited by a moderator: Today at 11:01 AM'. I think (hope) they edited to remove the annoying advertisement. It means that H&H can edit our content if they want to. However, despite the British Horse Society insisting that our content is removed, H&H have decided that freedom of speech is acceptable.
Word has it yet another long standing member of staff has resigned from the communications dept and another member of that department is working her notice period. In current CEOs period of office the number must be around the 150 mark. Abysmal employment record

Orangehorse

Visit site
The BHS has just done a great job regarding the new Highway Code review in parliament and with the Dead Slow campaign. Did anyone watch the debate on Parliament TV? Was anyone aware of it? Without the BHS who can lobby on behalf of horse owners? So I get worried when people say they want to give up their membership.

Karen 71

Visit site
I think you'll find the
Pass Wide & Slow group
The Horse Access Campaign
have been just as active, if not more than the BHS
They were on to the highway code review before the BHS woke up so never fear there are others working just as hard and getting results​

1540393698752-static.png

The BHS has just done a great job regarding the new Highway Code review in parliament and with the Dead Slow campaign. Did anyone watch the debate on Parliament TV? Was anyone aware of it? Without the BHS who can lobby on behalf of horse owners? So I get worried when people say they want to give up their membership.

GHamlet75

Visit site

Hi Orangehorse

I don't think anyone here is disputing that the British Horse Society does do some good work. The reason for this thread is to highlight how the charity achieves that work. To highlight that the annual donations and income of 11.2 million pounds from people might not be used as effectively as it could be, and to highlight that the cost of achieving this work is perhaps at the sacrifice of employee well being.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have not gone through the terms and conditions, but World Horse Welfare has now got inexpensive insurance for 3rd party cover, personal accident, and a limited vets cover (external injury) for £130 a year. That does seem like value!

I appreciate it is not as comprehensive as proper insurance companies cover vets fees, but for some cover it seems like looking into.

https://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/ChampionPlus-with-Veterinary

Reactions: DD

HectorTTerry

Visit site
Word has it yet another long standing member of staff has resigned from the communications dept and another member of that department is working her notice period. In current CEOs period of office the number must be around the 150 mark. Abysmal employment record

At the beginning of 2017, the Marketing and Communications department had 14 employees. Within less than 2 years there are only 2 employees left from this original team. That is a staff turnover rate of 87%.

While 12 employees have left during this period, another 3 employees have started and finished within the same time. That is a total of 15 employees (2 contracted) who have left the Marketing and Communications department within less than 2 years.

The total head count of the department at present is unclear due to restructures and new positions created.

Employees who have left over this period include one director and six managers. The depth of knowledge of some of these managers is extensive and some individuals have left without another position to go to.

LinkedIn shows this high turnover of staff is not unusual for this department. It also demonstrates the IT department has had a similar high turnover of staff – however it is unclear how many of these roles were contracted.

GHamlet75

Visit site
:eek: Wow HectorTTerry. These are shocking facts. It's sad that the British Horse Society denies there are any issues with staff turnover because until they admit there is an issue, this will not be tackled.

"Employee turnover cost is usually defined as the cost to hire a replacement employee and train that replacement. Often the training costs are only those to get the new employee productive, but they should include all the costs of getting the new employee to the same level of productivity as the employee who left.

These costs include both direct costs like the fee paid to a recruiter to find candidates for you as well as indirect costs like the business you lost because you didn't have the capacity to handle it all while you were short-staffed.

Generally, the higher your turnover rate, the higher both your direct and indirect costs will be. And as the turnover rate increases, the costs will increase faster." https://www.thebalancecareers.com/the-high-cost-of-high-employee-turnover-2276010

As Jangigs mentions there are long standing members of staff who have decided to leave. How does the BHS intend on replacing that lost knowledge?

I know I sound like a broken record but the concern here is the cost to the society (is this really good use of members' donations?), the cost to people's careers and most importantly, the cost to individual's well being.

GHamlet75

Visit site
"Employee turnover is costly to businesses, with the average cost of replacing an employee hovering around 20 percent of that person’s salary. When turnover is high, those costs can skyrocket. However, high turnover is usually an indication that there are problems with the management of the company, including incompetence or a poor leadership style… It’s been said that people don’t leave jobs, they leave managers".
https://careertrend.com/high-turnover-rate-say-management-13696.html

GHamlet75

Visit site
Not heard anything yet but if there is going to be one it has to be announced in the magazine and by email so keep your eyes peeled! Check out the below:

Following a vote by members at the 2009 AGM, the Society no longer holds automatic Annual General Meetings. Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs) will be held as and when necessary and members will be notified electronically where we have their email addresses, and in writing through British Horse.

Election Board Meetings (EBMs) are held to announce results of Trustee elections and are also open to members. Although these meetings are usually brief, they provide an opportunity for members to meet Trustees and put questions to them in person.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/about-us-and-our-work/corporate-information/general-meetings

GHamlet75

Visit site
Btw don’t worry about the lack of comments JanetGeorge. It’s still being watched by plenty of people… can you believe that despite the lack of recent activity we’re nearly at 40,000 views!!!!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Apparently in marketing dept, one in charge British horse and longest serving 18 months I believe.

BHS Marketing seems to replace staff rather faster than some people chage their underwear. Unfortunately, constructive dismissal requires 2 years continuous service, as does unfair dismissal.

GHamlet75

Visit site
Who is reviewing the exit interviews? Who is taking the key learnings from why so many people are leaving the British Horse Society? The BHS will claim there are good and bad leavers and that it is a perfectly normal staff turnover. However talk to any recruitment agent and they will quickly tell you otherwise. There is a problem and it needs addressing