Another British Horse Society c**k-up

Helensbridge

Visit site
Very definitely. They SHOULD have reported the error (and rolled over and said sorry, lol.) They probably have by now having had a lot of not very subtle hints.

Looks like there are a lot of things the BHS SHOULD have done - how can we have any faith in the BHS when they've made (and continue to make) such big mistakes. After the vote of no confidence you would think the new Board would be tightening up and ensuring procedures are followed, not overlooking data protection issues and apparently abandoning the recruitment process for the ceo .... it's a disgrace !

onemoretime

Visit site
Looks like there are a lot of things the BHS SHOULD have done - how can we have any faith in the BHS when they've made (and continue to make) such big mistakes. After the vote of no confidence you would think the new Board would be tightening up and ensuring procedures are followed, not overlooking data protection issues and apparently abandoning the recruitment process for the ceo .... it's a disgrace !

The BHS are a law unto themselves!!

ViolettaTears

Visit site
Very definitely. They SHOULD have reported the error (and rolled over and said sorry, lol.) They probably have by now having had a lot of not very subtle hints.
Hi Janet. We heard last night that the new Chairman has tried to put a stop to the recruitment process of the new CE as he doesn't like the candidates the old board and old Chairman chose. He wants his own man in there which is why there is such a ridiculous delay. Like we said before the Ego has clearly landed at Stoneleigh and what might be good for his personal career and aspirations of an OBE for services to charity may not be good for horses.

honetpot

Visit site
To be fair he is a businessman , so perhaps he will look for someone who can actually to the job and not someone who has limited previous experience in managing a company but knows horses.
The whole fiasco with the use of old data so someone needs to take a firm grip.
When you have a look at our last CEO qualifications for running a company, well I fail to see the experience.

ECB

Visit site
Hi Janet. We heard last night that the new Chairman has tried to put a stop to the recruitment process of the new CE as he doesn't like the candidates the old board and old Chairman chose. He wants his own man in there which is why there is such a ridiculous delay. Like we said before the Ego has clearly landed at Stoneleigh and what might be good for his personal career and aspirations of an OBE for services to charity may not be good for horses.
EGOs/gong grabbers/honours hunters etc have ruled at HQ for years now. This isn't a true Charity - it's a business masquerading as a Charity to line the pockets of professionals. Just look at the background of the Board. Non-professionals are in the distinct minority.

Helensbridge

Visit site

Helensbridge

Visit site
Hello - this is true from what i understand.
It was clearly laid out by the recruitment company that the process would consist of 2 rounds, a meeting with the Board and then the shortlisted candidates would go forward to a second round and be asked to give a presentation. The first round only included the old Board of Trustees due to the date of the elections. After the new interim Chair and Board members took their position they asked could they re-interview all the candidates so the entire Board would be in agreement of who should be shortlisted to proceed to round 2. Instead, after this second meeting which apparently was short - the interim Chair informed the recruitment company that they were NOT going to proceed to a second round, therefore abandoning the set out procedure ...... what is more worrying is that if the candidate is hired based on a chat that is NOT enough or good practice - for a role like a CEO, the candidates surely MUST be tested - is this not the correct process for any recruitment for a senior manager position - why hire a recruitment company spending significant amounts of charity money and then do your own thing, so unprofessional - shame on the BHS!!!!

honetpot

Visit site
It does seem rum, but i am trying to be positive.
The Chairman only has a casting vote, so others have to have voted with him.
The next CEO needs to concentrate on getting things sorted at HO, were did all the trouble seem to stem from?
The new Board only had a choice of two candidates, which the previous Board had chosen, perhaps they thought the candidates were not suitable or the presentation was not needed.
Some of us have complained that BHS has been run completely by the CEO and not by the Trust Board elected by us.
I trying to stay positive and hope they are looking wider than narrowing the candidate field, but that the new Board will be responsible for the choice, so we will know I hope which way the BHS is going and members can decide where they spend their money.

ViolettaTears

Visit site
If true that they are NOT going to proceed to a second interview, what are the odds it will be an internal candidate? Pretty high I think
THE 12TH MARCH 2019 IS WHEN the former CE resigned (or was asked to leave/sign a confidentiality agreement/sacked) now the 23 AUGUST 2019 and it would have taken a month to negotiate her leaving, so we are now at SIX MONTHS down the line, with no direction or change in taking far more care and attention on horse, pony welfare. Latest word in our neck of the woods is that its definitely going to Alex the Educationalist who has cosied up to the new Chair. If that happens, there is no hope at all for at least ten years. We are getting to the point of beyond caring very sadly. Off to a couple of events over weekend so will see what we pick up from our friends.

Helensbridge

Visit site
THE 12TH MARCH 2019 IS WHEN the former CE resigned (or was asked to leave/sign a confidentiality agreement/sacked) now the 23 AUGUST 2019 and it would have taken a month to negotiate her leaving, so we are now at SIX MONTHS down the line, with no direction or change in taking far more care and attention on horse, pony welfare. Latest word in our neck of the woods is that its definitely going to Alex the Educationalist who has cosied up to the new Chair. If that happens, there is no hope at all for at least ten years. We are getting to the point of beyond caring very sadly. Off to a couple of events over weekend so will see what we pick up from our friends.

Would this guy Alex be a good CEO - is he qualified ? You would have thought if they completed the recruit process weeks ago, why have they not announced the results, especailly if it is an internal staff member? The only obvious reasons could be that there is internal issues between the other staff and this guy doesn't have their support and they are causing waves OR the Board is not unanimous and since the Chair is presently only an interim perhaps they are waiting until they vote for the new Chair as ultimately they will be the person that will work wth the CEO ..... imagine if the Board isn't unanimous and Lord isnt voted Chair and the new Chair is a different Trustee and their top job was choosen not by them but a chap that was only voted on the Board 2 months ago and immediately became interim Chair and had the casting vote !!!! What a mess ....

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Looking at the jobs he has done they have mainly been to do with providing training, with the mounted sections of police at home and abroad.He was also mentioned in the BHS employment tribunal case where he seems to have decided to investigate and involve himself in something were he was not the line manger.

Nope - that's Alan Hiscox, Head of Safety (although he's probably trying for it too). Gossip is that it is Alex Copeland, Director of Education. He was at BEF from 2012 - don't know how long he lasted there. https://bef.co.uk/News-Detail.aspx?news=bef-appoints-head-sport-development-12# He ws at BHS by 2015. No idea if he is 'qualfied' - his public appearances I've seen haven't impressed too much!

Helensbridge

Visit site
That's Alan Hiscox - and you're right - he isn't 'qualified' in any regard for CEO. But it's the Director of Education, Alex Copeland, who gossip says might get it (horrifying thought.) He was at BEF in 2012 as 'Head of Sport Development' - but not sure how long he was there or why he jumped to BHS, He doesn't appear to have ANY equestrian training (after all, you'd think BEF would mention - say - BHSI - if he had it.) Neither of them have shown the ability to LEAD (rather than boss people around) - and from what I've seen of AC, he sure could do with some 'facing the camera' training.
Hi Janet, if it is this guy Alex do you have any idea why they have delayed confirming the apointment ?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Hi Janet, if it is this guy Alex do you have any idea why they have delayed confirming the apointment ?

I would suspect they don't want to 'announce' until they announce the new Chairman officially - so they can be photographed side by side showing what good mates they are - who knows. I just hope the gossip is wrong and that it will be a CEO from the real world - and not ANY of the candidates from the SMT.

ViolettaTears

Visit site
I would suspect they don't want to 'announce' until they announce the new Chairman officially - so they can be photographed side by side showing what good mates they are - who knows. I just hope the gossip is wrong and that it will be a CEO from the real world - and not ANY of the candidates from the SMT.

Hi Janet, from what we picked up this weekend, this is right and the latest excuse for another month of procrastination. Also we were very interested in the article in the Daily Mail this week about CE pay. Its worth noting that the CE of the National Trust, a huge dollar rich charity, that there CE gets only £10,000 more than the old CE of the BHS. What would be good governance, when the announcement is FINALLY made, that the salary is announced too. Worth reading this article. No one should be paid more than £50,000 at HQ. Also the Chairman should forfeit his £7,000 a year salary as well.

Conservative MP David Davies said: 'It is extraordinary that charitable organisations and charity bosses are giving themselves bigger pay rises than some people receive in their annual salary.
'When we put money in a box for a good cause, it is without realising how much of the money is being used to fund the enormous, eye-watering pay rises for bosses of these organisations.'

ViolettaTears

Visit site
Email just in. So Tim is now our permanent chair, no great surprise there and good news that Sally is Vice. Not a whisper in the email about the new CE or what's happening, or progress being made, not even a mention. Good grief. The parallels with Brexit are too obvious. Off to Burleigh at the weekend, hearing that HQ has sunk a load of money into a brand new huge stand so we will be going to ask some 'awkward' questions about governance and the complete failure to appoint a CE even with a very expensive headhunting firm doing the donkey work.

Helensbridge

Visit site
Email just in. So Tim is now our permanent chair, no great surprise there and good news that Sally is Vice. Not a whisper in the email about the new CE or what's happening, or progress being made, not even a mention. Good grief. The parallels with Brexit are too obvious. Off to Burleigh at the weekend, hearing that HQ has sunk a load of money into a brand new huge stand so we will be going to ask some 'awkward' questions about governance and the complete failure to appoint a CE even with a very expensive headhunting firm doing the donkey work.

I expect there will be an email in the next day or so - saying that this education guy is now CE since that is the common opinon on who has got it - such a shame, they had a real chance to change the culture of how the BHS is managed, but nope - they decided to go with someone who already is part of the problem .... have fun at Burghley !!! : )))

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is the BHS stand at Burghley 2019. I didn’t call in this time. Henry the mechanical horse was there. I though that the subheading on the banner was interesting - the home of British Riding Clubs? I’m no longer a Riding Club member, so what’s in it for me?

4CEE878C-DC9B-4644-AF48-F7B3ABEF1AD3.jpeg

ECB

Visit site
I expect there will be an email in the next day or so - saying that this education guy is now CE since that is the common opinon on who has got it - such a shame, they had a real chance to change the culture of how the BHS is managed, but nope - they decided to go with someone who already is part of the problem .... have fun at Burghley !!! : )))
The announcement of the Chair and his Vice confirm there will be no culture change. BHS operates, under the disguise of a charity, to funnel money to riding school owners and coaches/instructors. The two leadership positions confirm that. As for "welfare`', they may as well delete that as an object of the charity. No one on the Board and no one as head of dept. The Board looks like it will continue to ignore the majority of its members.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Awful though all of this is, it is probably no worse than what goes on in a lot of corporate situations, except that in the majority of cases it doesn't hit the chat forums or headlines unless really extreme or involving a pillar of the community.

I don't mean to belittle any of the people who have and are still involved by saying that. It's just that I think this is all getting a bit out of hand now and vilifying the BHS continually isn't helping anyone move on, if anything it is increasing bitter and hard feelings. Not only that but impacting on the good work that a lot of members and volunteers are carrying on with.

ECB

Visit site
Awful though all of this is, it is probably no worse than what goes on in a lot of corporate situations, except that in the majority of cases it doesn't hit the chat forums or headlines unless really extreme or involving a pillar of the community.

I don't mean to belittle any of the people who have and are still involved by saying that. It's just that I think this is all getting a bit out of hand now and vilifying the BHS continually isn't helping anyone move on, if anything it is increasing bitter and hard feelings. Not only that but impacting on the good work that a lot of members and volunteers are carrying on with.
You may be right. But I think that while the “new hands” take up the tiller and the Captain is yet to be on board, there is still an opportunity to correct the course of the BHS. A course that would respond to the needs of all horses and members.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
You may be right. But I think that while the “new hands” take up the tiller and the Captain is yet to be on board, there is still an opportunity to correct the course of the BHS. A course that would respond to the needs of all horses and members.

Exactly! I dread the 'wrong' CEO - but I sure don't think we can just run away with tails between our legs. We HAVE to see real change for the better - and fast!

ECB

Visit site
829 voted in favour of the motion of “no confidence”. That number of voices needs to be far greater to ensure change. Now is NOT the time to be quiet or patient- in my opinion.

EventingMum

Visit site
The announcement of the Chair and his Vice confirm there will be no culture change. BHS operates, under the disguise of a charity, to funnel money to riding school owners and coaches/instructors. The two leadership positions confirm tar an annual inspection and being listed as approved
hat. As for "welfare`', they may as well delete that as an object of the charity. No one on the Board and no one as head of dept. The Board looks like it will continue to ignore the majority of its members.

I really don't see any evidence of money being funneled into riding schools or coaches. As the owner of an approved school we don't get much for our money bar an annual inspection and being listed as approved. Our insurance insists we are approved. As an APC we get access to courses etc but have to pay for them albeit at a small discount if you are registered.

ECB

Visit site
I really don't see any evidence of money being funneled into riding schools or coaches. As the owner of an approved school we don't get much for our money bar an annual inspection and being listed as approved. Our insurance insists we are approved. As an APC we get access to courses etc but have to pay for them albeit at a small discount if you are registered.
Thanks for your point of view. In response, in my opinion, unnecessary several factors work to obscure how money, primarily collected from members, is being used. First, there is a lack of transparency; information is very difficult to obtain especially timely information. While it may be legal, it is far from best practice. Second, there is a abject lack of consultation with regions and members. Decisions are predominantly made in HQ, without explicit / public rationales, and compliance is demanded. To return to your specific point, decisions for expenditure and investment are made in the name of marketing, intended to promote the brand, and thus are intended to have an effect to boost Riding Schools & APCs businesses. Is there any data that shows that these investments have paid off? The discount you receive is funded by members money. Is there evidence that the registration of riding schools, the courses, and the certification programmes etc "pay their own way"? It is no accident that the new Chair and Vice Chair share similar "employment". That is the vested interest the BHS seeks to maintain. In my opinion, it is the members who are really being conned and ripped off. Around £10 is the actual cost of the insurance policy a member receives! Members have no say in how their money is being used.

EventingMum

Visit site
I personally, don't feel my business derives any benefit from being approved as my clients tend to come from word of mouth recommendations, not by people specifically looking for an approved centre. I suspect many demo/courses may run at a loss depending on the cost of hiring venues and people to present them but that may vary with the content and the area they are held in affecting how many people attend, they are generally open to everyone not just APCs (who also are members). Promoting approved centres and APCs probably serves more to promote the exam system than anything else as qualifications are prerequisites for approval and registration.

Reactions: ECB

ECB

Visit site
I personally, don't feel my business derives any benefit from being approved as my clients tend to come from word of mouth recommendations, not by people specifically looking for an approved centre. I suspect many demo/courses may run at a loss depending on the cost of hiring venues and people to present them but that may vary with the content and the area they are held in affecting how many people attend, they are generally open to everyone not just APCs (who also are members). Promoting approved centres and APCs probably serves more to promote the exam system than anything else as qualifications are prerequisites for approval and registration.
Thanks for your reply. It squares with what I have heard from others. I agree that it is the exam system that is being promoted and the development of that system has been a major long term investment. However, from what I understand, that investment in the exam system has not paid off as the UKCC system has overtaken the BHS offering in the market place. Selling the exam system outside the UK has become a priority - eg. China and Middle East etc.